PDA

View Full Version : Mike Mayocck: Top 64 Players

jim1
04-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Beason before Willis- wow, I'm suprised on that one

1. Calvin Johnson Wide Receiver Georgia Tech 2. JaMarcus Russell Quarterback LSU 3. Adrian Peterson Running Back Oklahoma 4. LaRon Landry Safety LSU 5. Joe Thomas Tackle Wisconsin 6. Brady Quinn Quarterback Notre Dame 7. Gaines Adams Defensive End Clemson 8. Adam Carriker Defensive End Nebraska 9. Chris Houston Cornerback Houston 10. Amobi Okoye Defensive Tackle Louisville 11. Darrelle Revis Cornerback Pittsburgh 12. Jamaal Anderson Defensive End Arkansas 13. Ted Ginn Jr. Wide Receiver Ohio State 14. Alan Branch Defensive Tackle Michigan 15. Jon Beason Outside Linebacker Miami FL 16. Patrick Willis Inside Linebacker Ole Miss 17. Marshawn Lynch Running Back California 18. Leon Hall Cornerback Michigan 19. Dwayne Bowe Wide Receiver LSU 20. Brandon Meriweather Safety Miami FL 21. Levi Brown Tackle Penn State
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/10121765

VT Dolphan
04-12-2007, 12:11 AM
Mayock is generally pretty accurate with his assessments, but the Willis rating is more than a little curious to me.

And I know that nobody seems to like Dwayne Jarrett anymore, but 46 seems a little low to me. Nobody expected him to tear up the track and the guy is a beast on the field. Is he the next Mike Williams? Or is he the next Keyshawn? I don't know, but if he is there at 40 I sure hope we look at him.

SR 7
04-12-2007, 01:10 AM
interesting...

ckparrothead
04-12-2007, 01:54 AM
Forget curious. The Willis ranking is flat out stupid. And yes, I've watched enough of both players to feel comfortable calling a professional like Mayock, who normally does his job pretty good, dumb for doing that. That's a statement ranking, and the wrong statement if you ask me.

Jaj
04-12-2007, 02:17 AM
Willis is head and shoulders above Beason. Unless your simply relying on Miami linebacking history to make that judgement then I can't see what could put Beason above Willis.

Elliott 1
04-12-2007, 06:28 AM
Wow, talk about playing to the crowd. He moves up every talked about player from the last week or so. These guys are just trying to look good. How do these players rise and fall so drastically when the combine is long over and they haven't actually played football for several months.

What a bunch of BS hype. A pro day here and there can change things a little but this is ridiculous what goes on. You get two or three sportscasters talking up a certain player and all of a sudden he has moved from the third round into the first.

We will find out next year during the season who the good players are.

As far as the draft goes the Dolphins are due for some good fortune. The lines haven't fallen well for them for a long time. The Dolphins are due for a great draft.

finfan54
04-12-2007, 07:41 AM
Wow, talk about playing to the crowd. He moves up every talked about player from the last week or so. These guys are just trying to look good. How do these players rise and fall so drastically when the combine is long over and they haven't actually played football for several months.

What a bunch of BS hype. A pro day here and there can change things a little but this is ridiculous what goes on. You get two or three sportscasters talking up a certain player and all of a sudden he has moved from the third round into the first.

We will find out next year during the season who the good players are.

As far as the draft goes the Dolphins are due for some good fortune. The lines haven't fallen well for them for a long time. The Dolphins are due for a great draft.

Yes sir, Mayock will do that to ya. Thats why you just absorb many many opinions and analysis, and judge for yourself. Try to stay objective (not easy) and open minded about stuff, and never let the mob rule unless its blatantly obvious (Calvin Johnson).

showstopper
04-12-2007, 08:01 AM
If you watch the NFL network on a regular basis, the Beason rating over Willis is not a surprise or stupid. Mayock has given ample reasons for being very high on Beason for months. It's his opinion and he has justified it to a point. Got alot of respect for Mayock, he doesn't just follow the crowd or get swayed by agents' wooing and incentives, like Kiper. Saying that, I still think Willis is the better of the two LB's.

finfan54
04-12-2007, 08:21 AM
If you watch the NFL network on a regular basis, the Beason rating over Willis is not a surprise or stupid. Mayock has given ample reasons for being very high on Beason for months. It's his opinion and he has justified it to a point. Got alot of respect for Mayock, he doesn't just follow the crowd or get swayed by agents' wooing and incentives, like Kiper. Saying that, I still think Willis is the better of the two LB's.

I enjoy Mayock because he obviously is looking at things all around and understands what scouts/teams are looking for. I think Mayock just picks favorites on his own terms sometimes and forgets about the other guy.

Cutler vs. Young US Supreme Court April 2006.

The jury has reached a decision. They are both good, one is better than the other in other regards.

dolphin23
04-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Cant help but notice where he ranked L. Brown, IMO he is a reach at the 9th spot.

21. Levi Brown Tackle Penn State

Motion
04-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Meriweather at 20????

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-12-2007, 08:51 AM
mayock is definitely about picking favorites. that being said, he's pretty good with this stuff overall. and he's the only guy who had the bills taking whitner last year.

colmax
04-12-2007, 09:10 AM
I think Maycock has a man-crush for Beason. He has been pushing this undersized OLB for over a month now!

Let's see, Mikey. You're telling me that an undersized, smaller, slower, one who produced less in a weaker conference is ranked ahead of Patrick Willis? Hmmm.....:err: :confused:

Patrick Willis: 6'1" 242 4.38/40

Year Games Tackles Sacks

2003 : 13, 20, 0
2004 : 10, 70, 5.0 - 39 yds
2005 : 10, 128, 3.0 - 28 yds (Led nation in solo tackles/game)
2006 : 12, 137, 3.0 - 25 yds

Jon Beason: 6' 230 4.62/40

Year Games Tackles Sacks

2003 : Did not play (medical redshirt)
2004 : 13, 29, 1.0 - 6 yds
2005 : 12, 66, 0 - 0 yds
2006 : 12, 75, 1.5

Maycock probably likes the guy as a person and is letting his emotions dictate his opinion. Patrick Willis is the best LB in this year's draft, hands down! I do not know what Maycaca is smokin'.......

colmax
04-12-2007, 09:15 AM

But see, Maycock is wrong in this case. Maybe he is doing it just to do it. I do not know his reasoning. Patrick Willis was a relatively unknown player here until I started pushing for him. Many have still not heard much about Willis. I do not care how many clips he has shown of Beason, he is simply not the better player.

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-12-2007, 09:29 AM
comparing stats of an ILB and an OLB is pretty useless. also means nothing when projecting a player to the NFL.

CitizenSnips
04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Chris Houston will not be the best cornerback in this draft. I simple refuse to believe that. Hes a fantastic tackler, but outside of that hes got some serious issues in coverage.

jim1
04-12-2007, 09:56 AM
But see, Maycock is wrong in this case. Maybe he is doing it just to do it. I do not know his reasoning. Patrick Willis was a relatively unknown player here until I started pushing for him. Many have still not heard much about Willis. I do not care how many clips he has shown of Beason, he is simply not the better player.

I don't know when you started pushing for him, but Willis has been a known entity and has been lighting up the SEC for quite some time.

CitizenSnips
04-12-2007, 10:34 AM

Umm....WHAT!?

Patrick Willis is probably the best ILB prospect to come out in years, and your taking total credit for his publicity on this website. My lord, talk about a political move, i've never heard such an outlandish credit claim.

fishypete
04-12-2007, 12:01 PM
It's only a difference of one spot...on a list....give a guy a break.

phinphanforever
04-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Forget curious. The Willis ranking is flat out stupid. And yes, I've watched enough of both players to feel comfortable calling a professional like Mayock, who normally does his job pretty good, dumb for doing that. That's a statement ranking, and the wrong statement if you ask me.
Agreed that Willis should be much higher- in my opinion , he is one of the top four 'safest players' in this year's draft- but everyone makes stupid mistakes. Just the other day, in fact, I noticed that you had Brady Quinn rated as the best QB and suggested we draft him. :D

TotoreMexico
04-12-2007, 12:11 PM

:sidelol:

colmax
04-12-2007, 02:10 PM
Umm....WHAT!?

Patrick Willis is probably the best ILB prospect to come out in years, and your taking total credit for his publicity on this website. My lord, talk about a political move, i've never heard such an outlandish credit claim.

http://www.finheaven.com/boardvb2/showthread.php?t=171777

Check the link. This analysis was done in late November, but I actually talked about him on an earlier date also. Not a political move by any means. I was talking about Willis before anyone (I can recall) on here (sans VIP) made mention of him.

colmax
04-12-2007, 02:14 PM
:sidelol:

It may be funny, and YOU may have known about Willis, but I have read where posters did not know anything about him. They did, however, know about Posluzsny because of the school at which he attended. All I am saying is that, not only on here, but relatively anywhere on the net, Willis was an unknown because of playing at Ole Miss. People may have heard his name, but they did not know much about him until recently; esp. after the 4.37 he ran on his pro day.

colmax
04-12-2007, 02:15 PM
I don't know when you started pushing for him, but Willis has been a known entity and has been lighting up the SEC for quite some time.

Yes, I know this because I am a student at Ole Miss.....

colmax
04-12-2007, 02:20 PM
comparing stats of an ILB and an OLB is pretty useless. also means nothing when projecting a player to the NFL.

I agree to some degree. But the statistics/measurables do give people an idea on the quality of player being drafted. Also, Willis played outside in his Fr./So. years. In that regard, it shows Willis' versatility. Although Willis is projected as an ILB, he can play outside even if on pure athleticism. But it also helps that he played outside in college.....

Motion
04-12-2007, 02:23 PM

That is COMPLETELY untrue.

colmax
04-12-2007, 02:27 PM
That is COMPLETELY untrue.

Again, check the link above. I said "relatively" unknown. Seriously, not many people knew much about Willis prior to his Butkus award win. Even afterwards, people were asking who is he. Outside of the SEC (of which you are obviously a fan), not many people knew about him. This is not pure conjecture......

jim1
04-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Yes, I know this because I am a student at Ole Miss.....

With all due respect, good for you. I heard about Willis a while ago, and it sure wasn't from you. But the real point is, who cares? If you get off on having mentioned the guy a while back, go for it. Just don't expect other people to give a damn.

Motion
04-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Again, check the link above. I said "relatively" unknown. Seriously, not many people knew much about Willis prior to his Butkus award win. Even afterwards, people were asking who is he. Outside of the SEC (of which you are obviously a fan), not many people knew about him. This is not pure conjecture......

I don't need to check the link. I remember when you were pimpin' him so much. As was I, he's a great player. But to say no one else knew about him before you started talking about him is pretty ridiculous and arrogant. Your better than that man.

musphinzfan
04-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Nelson not in the top 15 and throw Houston up that high is a shame...some very questionable ratings right here.

colmax
04-12-2007, 02:49 PM
With all due respect, good for you. I heard about Willis a while ago, and it sure wasn't from you. But the real point is, who cares? If you get off on having mentioned the guy a while back, go for it. Just don't expect other people to give a damn.

I am not getting off by supporting him!! DAMN! All I am saying is that he was "relatively unknown" on here (You can quote me on that). I have looked it up. CK is the only person I can see that mentioned him earlier in '06 (this was probably before Willis decided to come back for his Sr. year). Even then, not many (IF ANYONE) gave a wink about Willis. Everytime CK mentioned Willis, no one showed support, mainly (just by pure observation) because not many knew much about him........

colmax
04-12-2007, 02:53 PM
I don't need to check the link. I remember when you were pimpin' him so much. As was I, he's a great player. But to say no one else knew about him before you started talking about him is pretty ridiculous and arrogant. Your better than that man.

Boy, you guys are really jumping on me for saying he was "relatively unknown" on here prior to my "pimpin'" him. Seriously, it's not that serious. I am not staking claim to "introducing" Willis to the site. I am saying that prior to supporting him in threads, not many mentioned him outside of CK. I am not staking claim. ANYONE who follows SEC football knew about Willis. But generally, not many fans knew about him. That's just the truth.....

colmax
04-12-2007, 03:02 PM
To Motion and to jim1 (and to whom it may concern):

I could have puzzled the words together with a little more comprehension. I am NOT staking claim to "introducing" Willis to the site. I am only saying that I am a HUGE supporter because I know how special of a player he is.

I guess I flat out hate the fly-by-night fans who support the "latest and greatest" when it comes to players. Prior to the Willis hype, everyone was talking Posluszny, Woodley, Timmons, etc. And now, some of those same people suddenly CONJURED Willis was the best LB all along?? It just pisses me off.....

With that, I apologize if I presented myself in a manner unbecoming of a Finheaven member. I did not mean to step on toes. Some of you may know that I am not about that......

Motion
04-12-2007, 03:06 PM

I could have puzzled the words together with a little more comprehension. I am NOT staking claim to "introducing" Willis to the site. I am only saying that I am a HUGE supporter because I know how special of a player he is.

I guess I flat out hate the fly-by-night fans who support the "latest and greatest" when it comes to players. Prior to the Willis hype, everyone was talking Posluszny, Woodley, Timmons, etc. And now, some of those same people suddenly CONJURED Willis was the best LB all along?? It just pisses me off.....

With that, I apologize if I presented myself in a manner unbecoming of a Finheaven member. I did not mean to step on toes. Some of you may know that I am not about that......

Its all good bro :hi5:

jim1
04-12-2007, 03:28 PM

No problem dude. We all like Willis, hopefully that is enough. As much as I want offense in the draft, I'd be happy to get Willis- what a great player.

ckparrothead
04-12-2007, 04:07 PM
As much as I'd love to take credit for getting an early start in the Patrick Willis brigade, Boomer and KB21 were talking about the guy in like, 2005. They were on that dude a loooong time ago.