PDA

View Full Version : Stomach flu and fever?

dolfan87
07-08-2003, 12:36 AM
Hey all, anyone here ever get the stomach virus (throwing up) AND a fever? My son is sick, and I just never remember getting a fever with a stomach bug.

I am a nervous nelly anyway, but I just need someone to kinda tell me it happens. ;)

thanks

Gram

dolfan06
07-08-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by dolfan87
Hey all, anyone here ever get the stomach virus (throwing up) AND a fever? My son is sick, and I just never remember getting a fever with a stomach bug.

I am a nervous nelly anyway, but I just need someone to kinda tell me it happens. ;)

thanks

Gram it happens! it usually doesn't visit me often, but i have been known to have both ends active at the same time!:rolleyes:

dolfan87
07-08-2003, 12:55 AM
Thanks Larry, he is sleeping for now, but I am prepared for a long night. His fever is gone now thank God.

This is the first time he has had the flu, and he is almost 4, so I guess it's just weird to me, and I don't know how to react.

Anyway, thanks.

Gram

dolfan06
07-08-2003, 01:03 AM
Thanks Larry, he is sleeping for now, but I am prepared for a long night. His fever is gone now thank God.

This is the first time he has had the flu, and he is almost 4, so I guess it's just weird to me, and I don't know how to react.

Anyway, thanks.

Gram is he in pre-school? my grand daughter is, and i'm really suprised at how many people send there kids to school to interact with other kids, when they're sick! she was always coming down with something, now she's almost 5 and built up an immunity to some of the common things!;)

dolfan87
07-08-2003, 05:17 AM
Well it is 2:14 in the am, and we are still up. Fever is back, but the throwing up now seems to have stopped.

I know I am probably talking to an empty room here, but I just had to write to keep my mind off of things.

NYPhinFan
07-08-2003, 07:57 AM
I have a 3 yr old and he had that last week....fever with vomiting.....it went away then came back...just stay on top of it...and be there to comfort him and make him as comfortable as possible....alot of kids have had it this summer...it will pass...just a couple of sleepless nights...what else is new..lol...just keep the fever down

dolfan87
07-08-2003, 08:06 AM
Really it's a two day thing? Ok, at least I know what to expect. Thanks bro.

Gram

dolphan39
07-08-2003, 09:44 AM
if he cannot eat, think about getting some pediolotye so he does not get dehydrated :(

Clumpy
07-08-2003, 09:51 AM
Just 2 words of advice:

1) NEVER give aspirin to a child with the flu........could cause serious health problems(Reyes Syndrome)

2) FLUIDS!!!! Give a lot of fluids. Throwing up is just like taking a leak.....you lose fluids, but also electrolytes, so also try some gatorade or something like that

Clumpy
07-08-2003, 09:52 AM
D'oh didn't read previous post LOL

Hope he gets well soon :)

Have him think about the Bills sweeping the Fins in 2002, that always puts a smile on my face and makes feel better ;)

Scrap
07-08-2003, 10:03 AM
I hope he feels better 87.

dolfan87
07-08-2003, 10:09 AM
No childrens Tylenol Clump? The fever is fluxuating between 99-101.5, should I just let it go as long as it doesn't get any higher? He is at 101.5 right now, and pretty shaky. He doesn't want to drink anything, but we are making him take some drinks of both water, and pediolyte.

No vomiting since last night 9 pm our time.

I know some of you must think I am over reacting, it's just my first time with a sick kid.

Thanks guys.

Clumpy
07-08-2003, 10:49 AM
Tylenol is OK.........it's not aspirin, it's acetominophen. Aspirin is acetosalicylic acid :D

Different drugs completely

Scrap
07-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Maybe this will help.

http://familydoctor.org/healthfacts/069/

dolfan87
07-08-2003, 11:14 AM
TY Scrappy, we are going to go see the doc today. I am sure it's just the flu, but I am going to make sure he doesn't have an ear infection, or something like that.

DrAstroZoom
07-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Keep us posted, Dolfan. You have our best thoughts.

dolfan06
07-08-2003, 11:30 PM
No childrens Tylenol Clump? The fever is fluxuating between 99-101.5, should I just let it go as long as it doesn't get any higher? He is at 101.5 right now, and pretty shaky. He doesn't want to drink anything, but we are making him take some drinks of both water, and pediolyte.

No vomiting since last night 9 pm our time.

I know some of you must think I am over reacting, it's just my first time with a sick kid.

Thanks guys. to knock that fever down, my grandmother used to give me a bath in warm water and rubbing alcohol and then fanned me with a magazine, always seemed to have worked!;)

dolfan87
07-08-2003, 11:36 PM
The kid is still the same, but I am going to give him until tomorrow to see if he improves. The Childrens Tylenol brings his fever down to the mid 99 area, so that is helping him sleep.

I may be up all night, but hopefully not. Kinda sucks to be posting at 2:30 am...;)

Thanks everyone for your help so far!

Gram

dolfan06
07-08-2003, 11:51 PM
no its not, its a ford!

dolfan87
07-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Larry, you a Chevy guy? :rolleyes:

Actually as I age, I have grown to appreciate some of GM's products. I love Mopars, but I am a die hard FORD guy down to the core.

Just wait until you see my car when it's done...:D

BTW, Daniels fver seems to have broke, and he is sleeping soundly. :party:

Talk to ya'll later.

Gram

dolfan06
07-09-2003, 01:13 AM
Larry, you a Chevy guy? :rolleyes:

Actually as I age, I have grown to appreciate some of GM's products. I love Mopars, but I am a die hard FORD guy down to the core.

Just wait until you see my car when it's done...:D

BTW, Daniels fver seems to have broke, and he is sleeping soundly. :party:

Talk to ya'll later.

Gram actually, i'm a dodge diesel type of guy, cummins diesel to be exact. cummins will be up and running when the ford power stroke is dead and buried!

not sure about the new chevy diesel, its been built by izuzu and they've been building diesels for a long time!

have to admit, the mustang is pretty cool though!

btw, hope your son is better soon!

DrAstroZoom
07-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Glad to hear the kid's on the mend!