PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Troy Smith?

Phanatical
04-12-2007, 07:30 AM
This guy seems like a logical choice to me.

He was a heisman trophy winner, a great TD to INT ratio, and seems to have all the tools.

As noted on NFL draft countdown, the guy would be a top 10 pick if not for his height. OK, so what. There have been plenty of shorter QB's to make good NFL QB's, (Brees comes to mind).

If Quinn isn't available I would definitely consider Troy Smith in a later round.

OK, the question for this thread is: why not Troy Smith (http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/qb/troysmith.html)?

RonnieB23
04-12-2007, 08:18 AM
I would do it, when you look at the guy, you can tell he as flawless mecanics, he's pretty mobile, a good leader and has a good arm. I think he's worth at least our 3rd, maybe even our late 2nd.

Geforce
04-12-2007, 08:39 AM
His bowl game performance and off the field issues aside, the only thing I can think of is ,IMO, Cam prefers taller QBs.

CitizenSnips
04-12-2007, 09:36 AM
I've seen nothing in Troy Smith that would make me want him. He had a great offense at Ohio State. I mean, two first day receivers, a first day running back and a good offensive line, who wouldnt produce with that offense?

Finfan53
04-12-2007, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get drafted. He has a slow deliberate release which makes it a lot easier for a DB to intercept.

Motion
04-12-2007, 01:59 PM
I can't help but think the BCS performance was just a taste of things to come for Smith if/when he faces NFL caliber defenses.

zach8111
04-12-2007, 02:16 PM
he is my favorite QB cuz i am an ohio state fan and i would like it if we couldnt get quinn but i believe we will take a QB in the first two rounds and troy is on his way back down the draft after the commish started penalizing people for off feild incedents and smith had a few in college. i wouldnt mind getting him though cuz he could be a steal in the 4-5 round. i think he will be drafted maybe by clev if they dont get stanton and i think they will take AP over quinn. i think clev would gamble a 4-6 rounder on him

Pocoloco
04-12-2007, 02:23 PM
you can't ask for a much better QB prospect than Smith if he is still around in round 4. They guy is fundamentally sound and brings another dimension to the game by using his legs (like most shorter Qbs do).

Lab3003
04-12-2007, 02:25 PM
The concern with Troy Smith is that he better suited to a bootleg-oriented offense, which the Dolphins don't use. He reminds of a more mobile and much smaller Byron Leftwich.

Finfan53
04-12-2007, 02:33 PM
he is my favorite QB cuz i am an ohio state fan and i would like it if we couldnt get quinn but i believe we will take a QB in the first two rounds and troy is on his way back down the draft after the commish started penalizing people for off feild incedents and smith had a few in college. i wouldnt mind getting him though cuz he could be a steal in the 4-5 round. i think he will be drafted maybe by clev if they dont get stanton and i think they will take AP over quinn. i think clev would gamble a 4-6 rounder on him
Study hard and stay in school!

nolefin
04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
some people just dont know when they see a crappy qb? i would rather have feidler, smith is just not any good i will be suprised if he makes a roster

zach8111
04-12-2007, 07:29 PM
:confused:

dominizzo
04-12-2007, 07:55 PM
As a WR yes

zach8111
04-12-2007, 07:56 PM
As a WR yesas a WR no.

umpalu
04-12-2007, 08:20 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

finfanatic38
04-12-2007, 10:41 PM
I've seen nothing in Troy Smith that would make me want him. He had a great offense at Ohio State. I mean, two first day receivers, a first day running back and a good offensive line, who wouldnt produce with that offense?

Justin Zwick

SgtPhin
04-12-2007, 11:46 PM
The first thing I can see wrong with Troy is not his height, it's that he "won" the Heisman. How many Heisman trophy winning QB's have become franchise QBs? That just means they were on a nationally ranked team and put up great numbers against college teams. I hate to say it but, this is the NFL, not college.

TexanPhinatic
04-13-2007, 12:19 AM
The first thing I can see wrong with Troy is not his height, it's that he "won" the Heisman. How many Heisman trophy winning QB's have become franchise QBs? That just means they were on a nationally ranked team and put up great numbers against college teams. I hate to say it but, this is the NFL, not college.

While I certainly wouldnt count his winning the Heisman as a reason to draft him, I also wouldnt hold it against him.

TBH all the people who keep saying hes crappy dont know what they are talking about. And a slow deliberate release that makes it easy to intercept? Yeah, thats why his TD/INT ratio was great, because he was getting it intercepted all the time, lol what a joke.
And yeah, Ohio did have a good offense. Guess what, so did Jamarcus, maybe we should demote him for that? Alan Branch and Leon Hall were on good Ds, lets drop them for it. Playing for a good team isnt a negative. If anything it shows Smith knows how to use the talent surrounding him to produce.

God, one bad bowl game and suddenly everyone thinks hes not even gonna be making a roster? Seriously? Does anyone even WATCH games, or even highlights, or look at stats? What the hell?

Reminisce32
04-13-2007, 05:11 AM
QUzf_mDIrAA

Jaj
04-13-2007, 05:19 AM
Ya it's one game. You really would consider Dan Marino a Hall of Fame QB if you saw him against Jacksonville?

Taller QBs? Is that guy off his rocker? Ever heard of Drew Brees?

Phanatical
04-13-2007, 08:01 AM

Your knock on him is that he won the heisman? That doesn't seem like much of an assessment to me.

Phanatical
04-13-2007, 08:05 AM
While I certainly wouldnt count his winning the Heisman as a reason to draft him, I also wouldnt hold it against him.

TBH all the people who keep saying hes crappy dont know what they are talking about. And a slow deliberate release that makes it easy to intercept? Yeah, thats why his TD/INT ratio was great, because he was getting it intercepted all the time, lol what a joke.
And yeah, Ohio did have a good offense. Guess what, so did Jamarcus, maybe we should demote him for that? Alan Branch and Leon Hall were on good Ds, lets drop them for it. Playing for a good team isnt a negative. If anything it shows Smith knows how to use the talent surrounding him to produce.

God, one bad bowl game and suddenly everyone thinks hes not even gonna be making a roster? Seriously? Does anyone even WATCH games, or even highlights, or look at stats? What the hell?

The only knocks on him in this entire thread have been:

1. He's too short for Cam's offense. Uh, no, don't think height makes a QB.

2. He had a bad bowl game. Hmmm... I think Quinn had more bad games than Smith.

3. That he won the heisman. Wow, that's a good reason to not draft him, NOT.

4. That he played on a good team. Yeah, so did half the other 1st day picks, maybe the team was good b/c they had a good QB too?

5. That he has a slow release that makes him susceptible to INT's. Heh, that's why he has such a good TD to INT ratio?

I've seen nothing that convinces me that this guy wouldn't be a steal for us in the third or fourth round.

Geforce
04-13-2007, 08:31 AM
QUzf_mDIrAA

Yeah, those offensive tackles couldn't block anyone.

bigballin2987
04-13-2007, 06:58 PM
QUzf_mDIrAA
I don't know any quarterbacks that could produce when their O-line is getting manhandled like that.

Phanatical
04-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Still not one good reason. This guy might just be the answer.

GO PHINS~!

Phanatical
04-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Up!

Geforce
04-16-2007, 10:48 PM
From USA Today
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/draft/2007-04-02-heisman-jinx_N.htm

Where will Smith fall?

"Troy Smith has been all over the place in people's evaluations," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock says.

"He's probably a third-round quarterback. The reason is that he makes about 80-90% of his plays outside the tackle box. He struggles to find his vision within the pocket."

In other words, Smith doesn't appear to measure up as another Drew Brees (http://fantasyfootball.usatoday.com/content/player.asp?sport=NFL&id=591), the 6-0 former Purdue star with the classic over-the-top delivery who has led the San Diego Chargers and New Orleans Saints to the playoffs.

Coral Reefer
04-16-2007, 10:48 PM
I can't help but think the BCS performance was just a taste of things to come for Smith if/when he faces NFL caliber defenses.

count me in on that as well.

This argument that he'd be top 10 talent if he was taller is absurd IMO.

IRONCORP
04-16-2007, 11:01 PM
nooooooooooo for god,

kolb an beck its be much better

Geforce
04-16-2007, 11:12 PM
nooooooooooo for god,

kolb an beck its be much better

Why do you think Kolb and Beck is much better than Smith?

emocomputerjock
04-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Ask CK, Boomer, and KB21 how good Smith was inside the red zone. Ask them the second question of, "how does Smith's success in his time in college translate to NFL offense" and you'll have your answer.

Phanatical
04-18-2007, 04:29 AM
Ask CK, Boomer, and KB21 how good Smith was inside the red zone. Ask them the second question of, "how does Smith's success in his time in college translate to NFL offense" and you'll have your answer.

That's a weak answer.

The guy can play as evidenced by his Heisman. To discount him outright b/c CK or Boomer speculate "how does Smith's success in his time in college translate to NFL offense" is lunacy, and for you to blindly adopt their speculation, as if they are the end all and know all of projecting success in the NFL, is even more ludicrous. Worse yet, you fail to include a link to the supposed omnipotent analysis.

Troy Smith is at the very top in TD's vs. INT's, is among the very best in sheer number of TD's, yardage and completion percentages and is projected as one of the top QB's in the draft. To ignore him completely is missing a great opportunity.

GO PHINS~!

Jaj
04-18-2007, 04:35 AM
That's a weak answer.

The guy can play as evidenced by his Heisman. To discount him outright b/c CK or Boomer speculate "how does Smith's success in his time in college translate to NFL offense" is lunacy, and for you to blindly adopt their speculation, as if they are the end all and know all of projecting success in the NFL, is even more ludicrous. Worse yet, you fail to include a link to the supposed omnipotent analysis.

Troy Smith is at the very top in TD's vs. INT's, is among the very best in sheer number of TD's, yardage and completion percentages and is projected as one of the top QB's in the draft. To ignore him completely is missing a great opportunity.

GO PHINS~!

I think you just got rid of your supporter right there. Troy Smith is great in the redzone so he was actually on the ball with you.

Phanatical
04-18-2007, 04:46 AM
I think you just got rid of your supporter right there. Troy Smith is great in the redzone so he was actually on the ball with you.

Danged, I didn't see that at all. :goof:

Wolf13
04-18-2007, 06:58 AM
As I live in the O-H N-O state I've had to bear watching/hearing about Buckeyes games. Smith does have arm strength to his credit. His major downfall is that if he does get faced with pressure (either from a Blitz or a good rush ala Florida) he'll commit turnovers or just bad throws. I've always pointed to the Illinois game this past year where when the Illini blitzed on practically every down (especially in the second half) Ohio states offense couldn't move. He also has C. Pep problems in that he is prone to fumbling/ getting ball stripped when he takes off running. Just about each game that I'd see he put the ball on the turf at least once.

That said if he's there in the late (6-7) rounds or as an UFA you could try him as a developmental prospect and hope to correct his problems...

Wolf13
04-18-2007, 07:03 AM
as for Troy and the Heisman, I can think of a particular Cane who won it but didn't get drafted, anyone remember Gino Toretta?

Smith has tools, but also flaws, and he was helped tremendously by his supporting cast, as was Torretta...

Boomer
04-18-2007, 07:12 AM
That's a weak answer.

GO PHINS~!

I like Smith. I don't have a real issue with his height. I think he has a cracking arm and he makes plays. What the big red light for me is, is his off field issues, which are a real concern.

As evidenced by CK's study on him below, he's a red zone clinician.

Try 13 of 23, 109 yards, 9 TDs, 0 INTs in games against Texas, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan State, Illinois, Michigan, and Florida.

Disclaimer: Smith didn't throw any red zone passes in the Penn State and Florida games, I just included those in the seven games because I checked them.

Yeah, I mean it was rather obvious that OSU stuck it in from beyond 20 yards a fair amount in 2006, and that when they did get in the red area they favored Pittman and Wells. But, you want to talk about a clinic in red zone passing.....that's pretty good.

emocomputerjock
04-18-2007, 10:04 AM
Danged, I didn't see that at all. :goof:

:tongue: No hard feelings.

nick1
04-18-2007, 10:09 AM
outside of his short height I would agree, he does have all the tools. but he had some bad workouts and was outshined by Chris Leak in the title game so his stock has fallen. if he's there in the 4th and we haven't gone QB yet, I'd take him

dlockz
04-18-2007, 12:33 PM
His bowl game performance and off the field issues aside, the only thing I can think of is ,IMO, Cam prefers taller QBs.

Brees has worked out pretty well for a midget.

Aqua and Orange
04-18-2007, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't mind him with a late pick, simply because the more QBs we can try out the better...but not a 3rd or earlier. If we wanted a short QB with off the field issues, we'd...OH WAIT! We got him! Marcus Vick, come on dowwwwn!

dlockz
04-18-2007, 01:29 PM
I wouldn't mind him with a late pick, simply because the more QBs we can try out the better...but not a 3rd or earlier. If we wanted a short QB with off the field issues, we'd...OH WAIT! We got him! Marcus Vick, come on dowwwwn!

I may get bashed for this but I would not mind us looking at Vick just to see what he has got. If Cleo lemon can become an NFL QB I'm sure if given a chance a guy like marcus Vick can.

Vegas dolfan
04-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Smith is way better then Cleo lemon and Vick. This guy is a proven winner. He has only lost one big game while at Ohio State. How many guys beat Michigan 3 Straight years??? Then he beat Brady Quinn and Notre Dame. Almost beat Texas with Vince, then crushed Texas without Vince. If we got him in the 3rd or 4th he would be a steal.

emocomputerjock
04-18-2007, 02:21 PM

No one ever mentions Flutie :( What that guy did at his height was nothing short of a miracle.

finfanatic38
04-18-2007, 08:42 PM
All this talk of off the field issues.... when was the last time he had an off the field issue? Since it occured he has been a model citizen who is level headed. All year long he did not gloat in the spotlight like most would have in his position. His off the field issues are ludacris.

And the point he almost beat Texas with Vince Young. If Justin Zwick, who couldn't do nothing with all of OSU's weapons, hadn't played in the game, we imo would have won. As I recall it was Zwick's fumble that led to the game winning touchdown. So that truely can't be chalked up as a loss from Smith.

Geforce
04-18-2007, 10:16 PM

Brees was in San Diego BEFORE Cam arrived so he was not a Cam choice but a Schottenheimer's.

Phanatical
04-18-2007, 10:27 PM
I like Smith. I don't have a real issue with his height. I think he has a cracking arm and he makes plays. What the big red light for me is, is his off field issues, which are a real concern.

As evidenced by CK's study on him below, he's a red zone clinician.

Try 13 of 23, 109 yards, 9 TDs, 0 INTs in games against Texas, Penn State, Iowa, Michigan State, Illinois, Michigan, and Florida.

Disclaimer: Smith didn't throw any red zone passes in the Penn State and Florida games, I just included those in the seven games because I checked them.

Yeah, I mean it was rather obvious that OSU stuck it in from beyond 20 yards a fair amount in 2006, and that when they did get in the red area they favored Pittman and Wells. But, you want to talk about a clinic in red zone passing.....that's pretty good.

Yes, that's exactly what I find so intriguing. The guy makes the throws from beyone the 20 and inside the 20 as well. He hits players from all over the field. I find it absolutely unfathomable how there is so little interest in the guy. I haven't really seen one post in this thread that makes me think twice about the Phins drafting him. From what I've seen though, the Phins haven't even looked in Smith's direction but have only looked at Quinn, Stanton, Edwards, Beck and Kolb, with a lot of emphasis on Quinn and Stanton. I'm hoping the Phins are just keeping their hand hidden.

GO PHINS~!