PDA

View Full Version : Jim Rome on Brady Quinn

Agent51
04-12-2007, 04:44 PM
was just listening to Jim Rome Is Burning and he had a great arguement about Quinn. Even though it just happened like 4 seconds ago I can't remember the exact quote, :lol:, so I'll paraphrase:

"The knock on Quinn that he can't win the big one is unfair. Peyton Mannig had the same knock at Tennessee when he couldn't win a national championship, and then again in the NFL until he finally got that ring on his finger this year and even before that he was on his way to breaking every NFL passing record and has a 1-way ticket to Canton to get one of those hideous HoF blazers. Brady Quinn sholdn't have fallen so far, and Russell shouldn't have risen so far, based on their Sugar Bowl performances. Russell had the easier opponent in ND's horrible defense, and besides, Russell didn't beat Quinn, LSU beat Notre Dame, and if it weren't for Brady Quinn, Notre Dame wouldn't have even been good enough to MAKE a major bowl game. Winning "the big game" has more to do with the talent surrounding you than it does one individual player."

So basically Rome summed it up perfectly. Winning "the big one" has just as much to do with the talent surrounding you, and Quinn had none (on the defensive side anyway). Also, the rise of Russell and fall of Quinn after that game is absolutely ridiculous. And Russell didn't outplay Quinn, LSU outplayed Notre Dame.

All of those things are points I have been making since the begining when people knock Quinn. Not to metion they say HE "can't win the big game" (while failing to take into account his horrible defense) but everyone always convieniently leaves out the performance against USC in which HE single handedly took control and brought them back to what would have been a win had that last second call not been blown.

ckparrothead
04-12-2007, 04:48 PM
But of course, Jim Rome knows nothing and is only backing Brady Quinn because he plays at Notre Dame. Instead, we should listen to the opinions of a network of bloggers consisting of USC fans, racists, and other people who just plain hate Notre Dame, and hear their unbiased opinions on Brady Quinn.

Agent51
04-12-2007, 04:52 PM
But of course, Jim Rome knows nothing and is only backing Brady Quinn because he plays at Notre Dame. Instead, we should listen to the opinions of a network of bloggers consisting of USC fans, racists, and other people who just plain hate Notre Dame, and hear their unbiased opinions on Brady Quinn.

:lol:, yep.

I normally can't stand Rome, I think he's annoying and he reminds me of one of those people who are outspoken JUST to be outspoken, but I saw Quinn's face in one of his little "what I'm burning on" boxes in the begining of the show and I had to see what he said, and it actually made sense, for once.

finsfan911
04-12-2007, 04:56 PM
brady quinn's horrible. he's never won a big game. he's not that great, take someone else instead.

Fin-omenal
04-12-2007, 04:57 PM
The knock on Quinn is NOT winning the big one, its playing like crap vs good defenses.

jdang307
04-12-2007, 05:00 PM
What I don't like is making draft decisions based on one performance, or workouts. Before the sugar bowl was anyone talkign about Jamarcus Russell being a top 5 pick?

Agent51
04-12-2007, 05:06 PM
What I don't like is making draft decisions based on one performance, or workouts. Before the sugar bowl was anyone talkign about Jamarcus Russell being a top 5 pick?

Was anyone even talking about him being a first ROUND pick, because I didn't hear anything?

And the "he is only a junior so nobody knew if he was coming out, that's why he wasn't on mocks" excuse doesn't fly since the year before everyone included Vince Young and Reggie Bush in their mocks all season before knowing if they were coming out or not.

Dolfan32323
04-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Hate Jim Rome, but he is right. I am glad BQ lost the Sugar Bowl, now he will slide hopefully into our lap :)

umpalu
04-12-2007, 05:29 PM
The knock on Quinn is NOT winning the big one, its playing like crap vs good defenses.

:yeahthat:

Dolphin39
04-12-2007, 05:34 PM
Without question, I would draft Brady Quinn in a heartbeat if he's available!!!!!!!!

Captain Lou
04-12-2007, 05:40 PM
:lol:, yep.

I normally can't stand Rome, I think he's annoying and he reminds me of one of those people who are outspoken JUST to be outspoken, but I saw Quinn's face in one of his little "what I'm burning on" boxes in the begining of the show and I had to see what he said, and it actually made sense, for once.

Only makes sense because you agree with him.

shanem40
04-12-2007, 05:46 PM
u guys tend to forget just because you a qb doesnt mean he going to be good

musphinzfan
04-12-2007, 05:47 PM

Well just look at Brady...Against Miami's defense he doesnt do crap but against the rest of the NFL.

It does help to have a good nucleus and Quinn really didnt have that much to work with.

Fin-omenal
04-12-2007, 05:53 PM
Well just look at Brady...Against Miami's defense he doesnt do crap but against the rest of the NFL.

It does help to have a good nucleus and Quinn really didnt have that much to work with.

Oh, yea I guess now that I think about we are the ONLY good defense Brady has EVER faced..:rolleyes2

phinphanforever
04-12-2007, 06:35 PM
:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:
Yes, anybody who doesn't think Brady Quinn is the Messiah must be USC fans, racists, or people who hate Notre Dame.:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol: Must be. Check yerself, bro, before you wreck yerself.
And if you're getting your information from Jim Rome, then I would suggest our debate over Quinn is pointless. Jim Rome...:sidelol: :sidelol: :sidelol:
Rome should not ben allowed to comment on football, American or English.

bigchub22
04-12-2007, 06:43 PM
ok guys let me ask ya something here I know the Marino arguments are about a NFL career but isnt this kinda the same we fight for him all the time and say he doesnt have a ring because of the other guys around him yet some of you are so quick to jump on BQ and say he's not a winner and not good enough come on now its the same argument and I for one totally agree with rome and I HATE him i think is is a pompos arragent prick but he is right i for one think BQ is gonna be special at least has what it takes in my eyes to be

ckparrothead
04-12-2007, 07:24 PM

Ah screw it, this post needs its own thread....

Captain Lou
04-12-2007, 07:25 PM

I've never seen Quinn defy the odds and will his team to victory. He had plenty of opportunities. He has not one signature win in 4 years. Please stop with he has no talent around him. Quinn himself in interviews speak about it was a shame his team could never break through with all the talent they had. I believe they had 8 guys at the combine. It will interesting to see how many of those guys get drafted. It's not like his whole team was made of schrubs. I understand you guys making excuses for our qbs since Marino retired, and you already making excuses for a guy that isn't even our roster. I'll be so happy when we don't draft him. It will be fun to watch him suck for someone elses team.

ohiobryan
04-12-2007, 08:29 PM
you go jim rome i love brady quinn!

JGray
04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Russell sucks. I hope the Jets/Bills trade up for him. (I know not going to happen). If you switch the two qb's in the Sugar Bowl, the score remains the same.

JGray
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Captain Lou, ND does not go to a bowl without Brady Quinn.

PhinSoldia
04-12-2007, 09:24 PM

good defenses shut QB's down-that dont mean he's not good. Peyton was calling Bruschi and that defense Daddy( a Pedro Martinez reference) that didnt mean that he wasnt a good QB-we continuously make the posterboy look foolish everytime he lines up against us.that dont mean that he isnt good.

PhinSoldia
04-12-2007, 09:26 PM
I've never seen Quinn defy the odds and will his team to victory. He had plenty of opportunities. He has not one signature win in 4 years. Please stop with he has no talent around him. Quinn himself in interviews speak about it was a shame his team could never break through with all the talent they had. I believe they had 8 guys at the combine. It will interesting to see how many of those guys get drafted. It's not like his whole team was made of schrubs. I understand you guys making excuses for our qbs since Marino retired, and you already making excuses for a guy that isn't even our roster. I'll be so happy when we don't draft him. It will be fun to watch him suck for someone elses team.

why are you so focused on what he didnt do when his team played poorly as well

PhinSoldia
04-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Russell sucks. I hope the Jets/Bills trade up for him. (I know not going to happen). If you switch the two qb's in the Sugar Bowl, the score remains the same.

i wouldnt go that far gray-Russell has tramendous upside and he is boom or bust based on where he goes and what they do to help him after they draft him whether it be the raiders or the lions

Agent51
04-12-2007, 11:50 PM
ok guys let me ask ya something here I know the Marino arguments are about a NFL career but isnt this kinda the same we fight for him all the time and say he doesnt have a ring because of the other guys around him yet some of you are so quick to jump on BQ and say he's not a winner and not good enough come on now its the same argument and I for one totally agree with rome and I HATE him i think is is a pompos arragent prick but he is right i for one think BQ is gonna be special at least has what it takes in my eyes to be

See, this is a perfect post. People who are knocking Quinn because he never won a big game don't even deserve to call themselves Dolphin's fans, as our very own beloved HoF QB never won the big game.

And nobody is "getting info" from Jim Rome, his statement was basically Russell didn't beat Quinn, LSU beat Notre Dame, and that there is no way Quinn's stock should fall so far and Russell's should rise so far based on the Sugar Bowl, so how does that make people idiots for listening to Jim Rome? He isn't sitting there giving us QB analysis that we are eating up, he merely stated two VERY obvious facts.

I can't stand the guy either, I think he is the most annoying guy on ESPN outside of Stephen A Smith and that stupid Quite Frankly show, but what he says here is right, so hate him or not, I agree.

TexanPhinatic
04-13-2007, 12:01 AM
BQ didnt do all that well in the sugar bowl, but he has played well in most of his other big games. Losing does not equal bad QB play people. Its tough to win a big game when your defense cant hold anyone under 30 points, your line cant block etc.

Really, some people just dont know what the hell they are talking about. But its cool, tis the internet

The Confessor
04-13-2007, 12:09 AM
u guys tend to forget just because you a qb doesnt mean he going to be good

Okay, you guys are going to have to excuse me while I go on a bender so that I can understand this.....:goof:

The Confessor
04-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Ah screw it, this post needs its own thread....

:sidelol:

Too late Ck...:wink:

Captain Lou
04-13-2007, 08:44 AM
See, this is a perfect post. People who are knocking Quinn because he never won a big game don't even deserve to call themselves Dolphin's fans, as our very own beloved HoF QB never won the big game.

And nobody is "getting info" from Jim Rome, his statement was basically Russell didn't beat Quinn, LSU beat Notre Dame, and that there is no way Quinn's stock should fall so far and Russell's should rise so far based on the Sugar Bowl, so how does that make people idiots for listening to Jim Rome? He isn't sitting there giving us QB analysis that we are eating up, he merely stated two VERY obvious facts.

I can't stand the guy either, I think he is the most annoying guy on ESPN outside of Stephen A Smith and that stupid Quite Frankly show, but what he says here is right, so hate him or not, I agree.

Brady Quinn wont be a Dolphin. Get over it. If you need to cry I'll give you some privacy. Brady Quinn started for 4 years, and during that time I never saw Brady win a game, or lose one for that matter. You would think in all that time he would have one heroic effort. I can't remember a play that defines Brady Quinn. :rolleyes2

jlfin
04-13-2007, 09:10 AM
Playing like "crap" is what Troy Smith did in the National Championship game.
Quinn will be a solid starter in the NFL. Whether he becomes one of the top 5 in the league remains to be seen.
He has the arm, the mobility, the intelligence AND the attitude/ confidence to be a good QB.

derek
04-13-2007, 12:03 PM
It's funny that any fan of our team, featuring the most prolific passer of all-time, doesn't understand how much of a team sport football is. Though I'd love to land Quinn, I'm not implying that I know he'll be great.......just that being closed-minded because he couldn't "will a team to victory" is hard for me to fathom.

MrTree
04-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Oh God....I agree with Chris Everett..err I mean Jim Rome.

I really loathe him...really loathe him. But he's right...for once.

Captain Lou
04-13-2007, 12:27 PM
It's funny that any fan of our team, featuring the most prolific passer of all-time, doesn't understand how much of a team sport football is. Though I'd love to land Quinn, I'm not implying that I know he'll be great.......just that being closed-minded because he couldn't "will a team to victory" is hard for me to fathom.

I agree Brady Quinn has everything you want in a qb, except IT. You guys act if Brady Quinn were surrounded by division 1 A players. The players around him weren't as bad as you guys want to believe.

NMUCats
04-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Brady Quinn wont be a Dolphin. Get over it. If you need to cry I'll give you some privacy. Brady Quinn started for 4 years, and during that time I never saw Brady win a game, or lose one for that matter. You would think in all that time he would have one heroic effort. I can't remember a play that defines Brady Quinn. :rolleyes2

I'll give ya two, Lou Lou.

http://extrapoint.typepad.com/the_extra_point/2006/10/var_api_ve_getc_16.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_2Q_yAjYPE&mode=related&search=

DonShula84
04-13-2007, 05:38 PM
Only makes sense because you agree with him.

And it doesnt make sense because you dont agree with him.

DonShula84
04-13-2007, 05:40 PM

That's because you dont pay attention.

Agent51
04-13-2007, 06:06 PM

By that arguement, name one play that defines ANY of the players we would possibly take at #9? Go ahead, off the top of your head whip out a defining play for any or all of those projected picks? I'd call the USC game a pretty heroic effort, again, he was a blown call away from a huge comeback and upset victory.

I agree Brady Quinn has everything you want in a qb, except IT. You guys act if Brady Quinn were surrounded by division 1 A players. The players around him weren't as bad as you guys want to believe.

This completely contradicts your post above. In that post you never saw anything great about Quinn and he has no defining moments, yet in this post he has everything you'd want in a QB, so which is it, overrated, or everything you'd want?

His offense wasn't that bad (although they weren't studs) but name ONE standout on defense? Defense is just as much part of Quinn's records than his own play. If he puts up 50 points a game that'd be impressive, but if his defense GIVE UP 51, they still loose. The guy got screwed more often than not by his defense. Had he had a good defense he COULD have one "the big games" and his record and numbers and all that wouldn't be questioned.

As far as the "it factor" for a QB, what QB do we have now that DOES have that? What QB would be avalable anytime soon with it?