PDA

View Full Version : Staley Says Fins Have Shown Most Interest

Fineas
04-12-2007, 11:07 PM
On Pat Kirwan's show on Sirius today, he asked Staley, who is a regular on the show these days, what two teams does he think are most likely to take him. Staley immediately said the Dolphins, definitely the Dolphins, and then after thinking for a few seconds, said the other team would probably be either KC or the Pats.

FinAtic8480
04-12-2007, 11:08 PM
I reallly hope the pats dont take him. PFT had an article saying we didnt think much of Brown and we were real interested in STaley.

ckparrothead
04-12-2007, 11:09 PM
Miami could take him at #9.

Tureo
04-12-2007, 11:10 PM
On Pat Kirwan's show on Sirius today, he asked Staley, who is a regular on the show these days, what two teams does he think are most likely to take him. Staley immediately said the Dolphins, definitely the Dolphins, and then after thinking for a few seconds, said the other team would probably be either KC or the Pats.
This is good. It points to us addressing our line in the 2nd rd.

Tureo
04-12-2007, 11:11 PM
I would be upset if we took him at 9.

umpalu
04-12-2007, 11:13 PM
This is good. It points to us addressing our line in the 2nd rd.
he will be gone by the second

PublixSubsRule
04-12-2007, 11:13 PM
I would love to get him, But i would rather get Brady Quinn if its at all possible. I also wouldn't mind if we trade down and pick him in the middle of round 1.

nyital571
04-12-2007, 11:17 PM
We better not take that guy with no9

ohiobryan
04-12-2007, 11:21 PM
quinn in the first staley and sears in the second round!

newlownorder
04-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Yep, I remember last year there were rumblings that a couple of teams were interested in Jason Allen in the 1st round and then look what happened, we were that team. This year I've been reading lots not just for PFT but from espn's own McShay that Staley could go as early as #8. That plus the info that we didn't really like Brown but really were interesting in Staley has to tell you something. IMO if we don't have a shot at Quinn we try and trade down with a team that is interested with Levi because if we don't take Levi the Texas will. Teams I've heard that liked Levi were Panthers and Steelers. I would much rather take Staley at that point and get more picks then stay at 9 and take Staley.

miami234ever
04-12-2007, 11:25 PM
IF we can't get Quinn, I would not be opposed to getting Staley at #14 or #15 with a trade down. He's second on my wants behind Quinn. I would also want Landry more than him, but he's really out of the question with ATL and Minny right ahead of us.

NathanHunt
04-12-2007, 11:29 PM
If Levi Brown is there at #9 and Pittsburgh comes calling... do you trade down to net another pick and then get Staley there?

LT for LT?

showstopper
04-12-2007, 11:36 PM
QUINN
GINN
STALEY
any 1 of the 3 makes me happy!!!!

newlownorder
04-12-2007, 11:39 PM
If Levi Brown is there at #9 and Pittsburgh comes calling... do you trade down to net another pick and then get Staley there?

LT for LT?

If Pitt comes calling there is no doubt in my mind (unless Quinn is there by some miracle) that you take the extra picks and take Staley there. Even by some weird chance that someone else takes Staley before then, which I don't see happening, you takeone of the other players that could be there like one of the WR's of CB's for example.

Edit: Also I don't really see much else out there for the dolphins in terms of true LT's that Miami seems to be high on. There was one LT I read about somewhere but he was a very late round pick and right now can't remember his name, I just know that Miami went to see his pro day, might have been Chris Denman from Fresno St.

ckparrothead
04-13-2007, 12:05 AM
The #9 pick is not too high for Staley at all. He's a premium LT prospect and premium LT prospects go high.

The Falcons are considering Staley at pick #8. Their OL coach is in love with him.

The Texans are considering Staley at #10. Now that he's risen so far they scheduled second looks at him.

The Steelers have been looking at him at #15, secretly coveting him.

There are scouts out there saying that Staley has definitely surpassed Levi Brown and everyone thought Levi Brown had solidified as a top 15 guy.

I'll admit, going into the Senior Bowl he was widely viewed as a high second round prospect. But by the end of the Senior Bowl multiple scouts were telling TFY that he had solidified himself as a solid first round pick. He could have done his rising at the Combine but unfortunately he hurt himself and couldn't measure up. So instead he had to do it at his pro day and oh what a pro day he had. One long time scout said it was the best workout he's ever seen *any* OL have, ever.

And it was.

The guy is also a great interview, people have been talking about his interviews for months.

He'd look right at home at #9, trust me.

TexanPhinatic
04-13-2007, 12:12 AM
The #9 pick is not too high for Staley at all. He's a premium LT prospect and premium LT prospects go high.

The Falcons are considering Staley at pick #8. Their OL coach is in love with him.

The Texans are considering Staley at #10. Now that he's risen so far they scheduled second looks at him.

There are scouts out there saying that Staley has definitely surpassed Levi Brown and everyone thought Levi Brown had solidified as a top 15 guy.

I'll admit, going into the Senior Bowl he was widely viewed as a high second round prospect. But by the end of the Senior Bowl multiple scouts were telling TFY that he had solidified himself as a solid first round pick. He could have done his rising at the Combine but unfortunately he hurt himself and couldn't measure up. So instead he had to do it at his pro day and oh what a pro day he had. One long time scout said it was the best workout he's ever seen *any* OL have, ever.

And it was.

The guy is also a great interview, people have been talking about his interviews for months.

The only thing I have against him at 9 is that he doesnt seem to be a first year starter. He hasnt been a LT for long, so hes got some learning to do, and that he needs to add some mass. Still, his mechanics and raw ability are fantastic.

I dunno, I think hes a great prospect, but I just dont see him going so high when teams have so many pressing needs and other equally good players to fill said holes who can step in and play from day one.

ckparrothead
04-13-2007, 12:22 AM
There's a very good chance that even as a rookie, he's our best LT on the roster.

newlownorder
04-13-2007, 12:25 AM
There's a very good chance that even as a rookie, he's our best LT on the roster.

If we drafted him would be our starting LT hands down, he's a better fit in our scheme at LT than Levi Brown is by far.

OneHondo
04-13-2007, 01:24 AM
Staley will never last to the 2nd round and I read somewhere the other night that an offensive line coach who went to see his Pro day workout said he could be the best LT prospect to come out in the draft in a long time because of his speed, footwork and natural ability. He was also said to be a workout warrior. Oh and the same person said with his frame he could easily put on 20 or 30 more pounds and not lose any speed.

Xeticus
04-13-2007, 02:30 AM
I'm a big fan of picking Staley at #9. Everything I've read about makes him sound like a great pick. Tall, strong, smart, absurdly fast for an OT. If Quinn's not there at #9 I say we pick Staley and then pick up Stanton with our next pick.

RUDEbyallMEANS
04-13-2007, 03:35 AM
Staley at #9 and secondary at #40.

Eric Wright would look good at #40.

miamiron
04-13-2007, 05:46 AM
quinn in the first staley and sears in the second round!

Quinn had more bench presses at the combine than Sears
How funny is that!!!!!!!!!!:sidelol:

miamiron
04-13-2007, 06:23 AM
I would love to see Staley lineup ala Dan Kleco of Indie at TE
a few times since he has the speed and hands and has played the position in the past...Can you see the looks on the LBs and DBs when this 300lb +
fast as all He@@ stud is bearing down on them in the red zone...

jlfin
04-13-2007, 07:09 AM

Yep, some mocks have him going as early as 20. Doubt he gets past the 1st rd. He plays a very valuable position and athletic LT's are difficult to find.

zonk4ever
04-13-2007, 08:05 AM
We better not take that guy with no9

That sounds pretty scary...

Seriously, this Staley kid is probably the biggest "boom or bust" pick in the draft. An incredible workout warrior and a wonderful interviewer but during the Senior Bowl he was continually driven back by the lineman. It's not going to get easier in the Pros. I guess you can take him @ 9. Trading down is the ideal scenario for taking him but it's real tricky, it ain't like the other teams haven't noticed him and his measurables are every bit as good as Joe Thomas. We're desperate anyway.

rev kev
04-13-2007, 08:39 AM

jah afterall we could have troy edwards

Frayser
04-13-2007, 08:41 AM
I think the best scenario is clearly having Peterson or Brown fall to us and trading down to the middle of the round to take Staley. I would be all for that. If he's gone by then, we can still pick up Ginn Jr., Meachem, Revis, or Houston who would all instantly make this team better.

jim1
04-13-2007, 10:37 AM

And it was.

I'm wondering if we'd be better off taking Doug Free at #60 or in the 3rd and going BPA in the 1st, or at least trading down. I think that Free ran a 5.22 at the combine, slower than I thought he would. I've seen Staley play- he's obviously athletic, but geez #9, that's high. I'd like to see some film of Free.

I'm also confused by the Toledo situation- he just seems like an LT to me, not a guard. Hopefully Alabi can get the job done, but if not why not give Toledo a shot?

ckparrothead
04-13-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm wondering if we'd be better off taking Doug Free at #60 or in the 3rd and going BPA in the 1st, or at least trading down. I think that Free ran a 5.22 at the combine, slower than I thought he would. I've seen Staley play- he's obviously athletic, but geez #9, that's high. I'd like to see some film of Free.

I'm also confused by the Toledo situation- he just seems like an LT to me, not a guard. Hopefully Alabi can get the job done, but if not why not give Toledo a shot?

Very good question. I like Doug Free. I've been saying a while that I feel like when all is said and done Free could end up the best LT in this draft class.

But that's more like a possibility, one you don't totally know about. He didn't get invited to the Senior Bowl (very upsetting) so we couldn't see him go up against the top seniors. We saw Staley go up against them and he more than held his own, improved all week. He had a let-down during the game itself, because on two occasions he blocked down thinking that he had help to block Jay Moore but nobody blocked Moore and so he ran right in for the sack. Those are zone blocking miscommunications and it is tough to install a smooth zone blocking scheme in one week like that. The mental errors (if indeed they even were mental errors, for all we know that was what he was supposed to do and the backs/tight ends screwed up) are excusable but he did also get bull rushed by Moore for a sack and that is the primary thing he really needs to work on is core strength to deal with the bull rush.

But this isn't Wade Smith we're talking about here. He's got better feet and more strength than Wade Smith. I do feel that Jay Moore is an underrated player, similar to how I felt about Mark Anderson last year. Anderson beat D'Brickashaw Ferguson on the inside post for a sack during the game. He went on to have a heck of a rookie season with double-digit sacks, but to be fair Ferguson also struggled.

When it comes to Staley @ #9 or Free @ #60...what I think it comes down to is your needs. If you really think Alabi is ready to assume the LT job and he's not another Wade Smith waiting to happen, and you feel comfortable throwing him out there for 16 games, you can take the bigger gamble on Doug Free. But, if you're not that confident in Alabi, you probably need to go with the better bet. But that's not to see it would be need picking. Staley is a top level prospect, a relatively rare one at that.

Oh, and the reason Toledo is not a LT for us is his frame. He runs about 6'4" and his arms are only about 32-33 inches long. That's not good enough to cut it at left tackle. The physical dimension standards at that spot are actually quite rigid. It is one of the things being overlooked about Joe Thomas, his shorter overall arms, but the arms can be forgiven with exceptionally quick feet and a tall frame. Toledo has good feet but he's not terribly tall. I think they have him at the right spot at left guard.

caneaddict
04-13-2007, 11:56 AM
Getting a LT in the 1st and then Kahlil in the 2nd would go a LONG way to fixing our OL problems!

ckparrothead
04-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Getting a LT in the 1st and then Kahlil in the 2nd would go a LONG way to fixing our OL problems!

Replace Kalil with Samson Satele and we're cool. Hudson Houck won't sign off on a center that doesn't have true anchor ability. He just won't. His history just doesn't suggest it at all.

I have to admit, getting Staley, Satele, and then a guy later in the draft (Uperesa? Kyle Cook?) would sufficiently "reload" the line as Cameron says he would like to do.

Let's say, and this is a projection so take it with a grain of salt...

But let's say that we got Joe Staley at #9, Tim Crowder at #40, Samson Satele at #60, and John Beck at #71...I think that would be a fantastic draft. You focus on picking up a Cameron Stephenson or Kyle Cook in the 6th round, and you see what corner or defensive linemen may have dropped into the fourth round that you think should not have.

That would be among my favorite Quinn-less mock drafts...

#009: LT Joe Staley, Central Michigan
#040: DE Tim Crowder, Texas
#060: OC Samson Satele, Hawai'i
#071: QB John Beck, BYU
#108: DT Paul Soliai, Utah
#181: P Daniel Sepulveda, Baylor
#199: WR Legedu Naanee, Boise State
#219: LG Kyle Cook, Michigan State
#225: TE Rudy Sylvan, Ohio (received by Rams for RFA Donnie Jones)
#238: CB Tim Mixon, California

jim1
04-13-2007, 12:52 PM
Very good question. I like Doug Free. I've been saying a while that I feel like when all is said and done Free could end up the best LT in this draft class.

But that's more like a possibility, one you don't totally know about. He didn't get invited to the Senior Bowl (very upsetting) so we couldn't see him go up against the top seniors. We saw Staley go up against them and he more than held his own, improved all week. He had a let-down during the game itself, because on two occasions he blocked down thinking that he had help to block Jay Moore but nobody blocked Moore and so he ran right in for the sack. Those are zone blocking miscommunications and it is tough to install a smooth zone blocking scheme in one week like that. The mental errors (if indeed they even were mental errors, for all we know that was what he was supposed to do and the backs/tight ends screwed up) are excusable but he did also get bull rushed by Moore for a sack and that is the primary thing he really needs to work on is core strength to deal with the bull rush.

But this isn't Wade Smith we're talking about here. He's got better feet and more strength than Wade Smith. I do feel that Jay Moore is an underrated player, similar to how I felt about Mark Anderson last year. Anderson beat D'Brickashaw Ferguson on the inside post for a sack during the game. He went on to have a heck of a rookie season with double-digit sacks, but to be fair Ferguson also struggled.

When it comes to Staley @ #9 or Free @ #60...what I think it comes down to is your needs. If you really think Alabi is ready to assume the LT job and he's not another Wade Smith waiting to happen, and you feel comfortable throwing him out there for 16 games, you can take the bigger gamble on Doug Free. But, if you're not that confident in Alabi, you probably need to go with the better bet. But that's not to see it would be need picking. Staley is a top level prospect, a relatively rare one at that.

Oh, and the reason Toledo is not a LT for us is his frame. He runs about 6'4" and his arms are only about 32-33 inches long. That's not good enough to cut it at left tackle. The physical dimension standards at that spot are actually quite rigid. It is one of the things being overlooked about Joe Thomas, his shorter overall arms, but the arms can be forgiven with exceptionally quick feet and a tall frame. Toledo has good feet but he's not terribly tall. I think they have him at the right spot at left guard.

Great analysis, thx for the Toledo info, that makes sense. I think of Staley and I think of Darren Colledge- great athlete, decent school, lots of potential, fantastic feet and quickness. But I never thought of Colledge as a top 10 guy. D'Brick- the best feet I have ever seen on a LT, now that's a top 10 pick (top 5 actually). I think I saw him play for UVA against Boise St., I remember a blue field anyway. Maybe it was a bowl game. Having seen Staley play (good point on the bull rush, he just didn't strike me as nearly overpowering) I'm not taking him at #9. I'm targeting an undervalued Free, or Tony Ugoh at #40 or #60. Alabi is a pretty darned good athlete, too. We have Shelton in a pinch, although even saying that worries me. I'm not even sure that Staley is a better prospect than Colledge was, and I hear that he is doing well in Green Bay.

It's just my 2 cents, but if we're looking for quicks at LT I'd rather take Ugoh or wait until the 4th and take Barbre, maybe even a flyer on a not so quick Chris Denman.

One last question: the more that I think about it, the more that I wouldn't mind having Cleo Lemon starting on opening day. Any thoughts?

ckparrothead
04-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Colledge didn't have the feet that Staley does, nor did he have the frame. Again Colledge is one of those guys that was good, had quick feet, but did not have the frame to be a left tackle. That is why you see him at guard. His arms run about 31-32 inches. Even Joe Thomas' run more like 33.5 inches. Staley's are a good 34.5 inches, ideal for a left tackle. Ferguson's were about 35 inches. Alabi's are nearly 36 inches. Ugoh's arms are a full 36 inches.

He needs more power but one of the reasons you tend to think he can acquire that power is because, like Joe Toledo, he has a history of weight gain. That's important. Some guys gain weight and they lose way too much when they do it.

So, for guys that you believe need to gain weight, you look for a history of gaining weight while having lost nothing on their athletic ability. Joe Toledo really had that going for him, but Joe Staley has it just as well, probably even better. For one thing, since gaining weight Joe Toledo has developed a nasty habit of getting hurt often, where Staley did not. For another, I mean Staley literally might be able to run just as fast at 306 pounds as he was able to run at 236 pounds. He gained weight the right way, with a well-controlled diet and a lot of lifting. So for Staley, projecting him to go up to the 325-330 pound range where he can be counted on to no longer give up the bull rush, is not a stretch...and he will likely still retain his superb quick feet.

Alan Barbre is being considered a guard now by insiders. Same thing, frame.

I like Cleo Lemon. He played really well in relief of Harrington twice, and then when he got the start against Indy he did not play quite as well from a passer rating standpoint but he and Ronnie Brown had us traveling up and down the field taking 5 field goals where a better red zone offense (ehem, Cameron) could have turned a few of those into touchdowns and beaten the team that ended up winning the Super Bowl. I know the Colts D doesn't have a rep for being great but they had really turned a corner and become a heck of a lot better by the time Lemon played them, as evidenced by what they did in the playoffs.

maverick50
04-13-2007, 01:49 PM
guys i am having that feeling that we wont be able to trade down this year because it just doesnt feel like that will happen to me anyways. so with this in mind why not give ot lyle sendlein and ot corry hilliard a chance at least they will provide us depth and corry and lyle are hard workers. so what i am saying is this.
why not draft lb patrick willis in rd1
c ryan kalil in rd 2a
wr craig davis rd2 b
ot lyle sendlein in rd 3
dt ryan mcbean in rd 4
olb quincy black in rd 6a
olb chad nkang in rd 6 b

then next year we address qb, te, wr, and rb and de and safety.

jim1
04-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Colledge didn't have the feet that Staley does, nor did he have the frame. Again Colledge is one of those guys that was good, had quick feet, but did not have the frame to be a left tackle. That is why you see him at guard. His arms run about 31-32 inches. Even Joe Thomas' run more like 33.5 inches. Staley's are a good 34.5 inches, ideal for a left tackle. Ferguson's were about 35 inches. Alabi's are nearly 36 inches. Ugoh's arms are a full 36 inches.

He needs more power but one of the reasons you tend to think he can acquire that power is because, like Joe Toledo, he has a history of weight gain. That's important. Some guys gain weight and they lose way too much when they do it.

So, for guys that you believe need to gain weight, you look for a history of gaining weight while having lost nothing on their athletic ability. Joe Toledo really had that going for him, but Joe Staley has it just as well, probably even better. For one thing, since gaining weight Joe Toledo has developed a nasty habit of getting hurt often, where Staley did not. For another, I mean Staley literally might be able to run just as fast at 306 pounds as he was able to run at 236 pounds. He gained weight the right way, with a well-controlled diet and a lot of lifting. So for Staley, projecting him to go up to the 325-330 pound range where he can be counted on to no longer give up the bull rush, is not a stretch...and he will likely still retain his superb quick feet.

Alan Barbre is being considered a guard now by insiders. Same thing, frame.

I like Cleo Lemon. He played really well in relief of Harrington twice, and then when he got the start against Indy he did not play quite as well from a passer rating standpoint but he and Ronnie Brown had us traveling up and down the field taking 5 field goals where a better red zone offense (ehem, Cameron) could have turned a few of those into touchdowns and beaten the team that ended up winning the Super Bowl. I know the Colts D doesn't have a rep for being great but they had really turned a corner and become a heck of a lot better by the time Lemon played them, as evidenced by what they did in the playoffs.

That's a good point about Staley's arm length. That factor aside, I don't remember any deficiencies with Colledge. Excellent quickness, feet (martial arts guy), good strength, and about 6-5 300 lbs. But having seen Staley play, while I like him and love his feet, I just don't see a top 10 guy. I get a little nervous when projecting the upside of a guy like that. It's hard enough in the 4th round projecting a guy like Toledo, still growing and switching positions. Trade down and take Staley? Absolutely. But man, the 9th pick- I'm all for some risk in the draft, but let's trade down or take more of a known entity.

Regan21286
04-13-2007, 03:26 PM

I'm guessing that's at the 9 if Brady Quinn doesn't drop or if we don't trade up for Quinn. His stock has shot up so much that my previous hope that he'd be our 2nd round pick is now all but impossible. Still, he'd be an understandable reach at the 9. Certainly has the upside.

ckparrothead
04-13-2007, 03:55 PM
That's a good point about Staley's arm length. That factor aside, I don't remember any deficiencies with Colledge. Excellent quickness, feet (martial arts guy), good strength, and about 6-5 300 lbs. But having seen Staley play, while I like him and love his feet, I just don't see a top 10 guy. I get a little nervous when projecting the upside of a guy like that. It's hard enough in the 4th round projecting a guy like Toledo, still growing and switching positions. Trade down and take Staley? Absolutely. But man, the 9th pick- I'm all for some risk in the draft, but let's trade down or take more of a known entity.

Personally, I think this draft is a lot like the last draft. We're seeing a lot of stuff we're not use to seeing.

Adam Carriker is a rare prospect. You do not come across 6'6" and 296 pound DL prospects with his strength and running skills. Yet, he's widely considered the #3 DE.

Joe Staley is a rare prospect. Yet, he's widely considered the #2/#3 OT.

Reggie Nelson and LaRon Landry, are relatively rare safety prospects because of their athletic abilities.

Calvin Johnson is the most obscenely rare prospect I've *ever* seen at any position.

Ted Ginn Jr.'s speed and running ability, when you really get right down to it, is RARE. And I'm not talking about a 40 time or pro day, I'm talking about on film.

Patrick Willis not only stands out on the film as a bigtime playmaking MLB, but his size/speed combination is VERY rare.

And Adrian Peterson's running skills have not been seen coming out of the draft probably since Barry Sanders. Even LaDainian developed most of his current impressive skills after he entered the league. Oh, did I mention he runs in the 4.3 range at 6'2" and 217 pounds? Yet he's as powerful as any back we've seen since Ricky Williams.

I honestly think that Brian Leonard is a rare fullback prospect because my own review of him has led me to believe that his lead blocking skills are a lot better than he is getting credit for...I know he draws comparisons to Rob Konrad, one of the last FB prospects to be considered so high...but I think you'd have to go further back than Konrad to find Brian Leonard.

When it gets down to it, Greg Olsen's running abilities are actually relatively rare. You get *maybe* one TE a year that runs like him at his size...probably more like one every 2 years.

I can't ever remember a more talented top 7 wide receiver class...you'd have to go back to 2001 to find it's like.

When it gets down to it, Amobi Okoye is a rare beast, especially in light of the age thing...but so too is Paul Soliai, who is a lot more like Haloti Ngata (another rare beast) than people are giving credit for.

So, all in all...take a player at #9 that you don't see every year. It could hurt, he could be a bust, but it could pay huge dividends as well. If you haven't seen the likes of Joe Staley since Willie Roaf, then gosh darn it he just might be another Willie Roaf. You have to pay a fair amount of change to your #9 pick but it isn't so much that you feel like you can't aim high.

When you look at guys like Orlando Pace and Walter Jones...picking them laid the foundations for offenses that would stay productive for years. Jon Ogden too. Heck, acquiring Willie Roaf arguably laid the foundations of Kansas City's offensive success. If Joe Staley, a rare prospect, ends up at that level, it's a super bowl winning component.

jim1
04-13-2007, 04:11 PM
Personally, I think this draft is a lot like the last draft. We're seeing a lot of stuff we're not use to seeing.

Adam Carriker is a rare prospect. You do not come across 6'6" and 296 pound DL prospects with his strength and running skills. Yet, he's widely considered the #3 DE.

Reggie Nelson and LaRon Landry, are relatively rare safety prospects because of their athletic abilities.

Calvin Johnson is the most obscenely rare prospect I've *ever* seen at any position.

Ted Ginn Jr.'s speed and running ability, when you really get right down to it, is RARE. And I'm not talking about a 40 time or pro day, I'm talking about on film.

Patrick Willis not only stands out on the film as a bigtime playmaking MLB, but his size/speed combination is VERY rare.

And Adrian Peterson's running skills have not been seen coming out of the draft probably since Barry Sanders. Even LaDainian developed most of his current impressive skills after he entered the league. Oh, did I mention he runs in the 4.3 range at 6'2" and 217 pounds? Yet he's as powerful as any back we've seen since Ricky Williams.

I honestly think that Brian Leonard is a rare fullback prospect because my own review of him has led me to believe that his lead blocking skills are a lot better than he is getting credit for...I know he draws comparisons to Rob Konrad, one of the last FB prospects to be considered so high...but I think you'd have to go further back than Konrad to find Brian Leonard.

When it gets down to it, Greg Olsen's running abilities are actually relatively rare. You get *maybe* one TE a year that runs like him at his size...probably more like one every 2 years.

I can't ever remember a more talented top 7 wide receiver class...you'd have to go back to 2001 to find it's like.

When it gets down to it, Amobi Okoye is a rare beast, especially in light of the age thing...but so too is Paul Soliai, who is a lot more like Haloti Ngata (another rare beast) than people are giving credit for.

So, all in all...take a player at #9 that you don't see every year. It could hurt, he could be a bust, but it could pay huge dividends as well. If you haven't seen the likes of Joe Staley since Willie Roaf, then gosh darn it he just might be another Willie Roaf. You have to pay a fair amount of change to your #9 pick but it isn't so much that you feel like you can't aim high.

When you look at guys like Orlando Pace and Walter Jones...picking them laid the foundations for offenses that would stay productive for years. Jon Ogden too. Heck, acquiring Willie Roaf arguably laid the foundations of Kansas City's offensive success. If Joe Staley, a rare prospect, ends up at that level, it's a super bowl winning component.

All good points. I just didn't see Staley really standing out or blowing people away against marginal competition. But then again, I only saw part of one game. Carriker is an interesting prospect, but of the guys you mentioned I'm thinking more and more of Patrick Willis. A beast with size, strength, and speed. The one guy who I take if he falls, need be damned- Adrian Peterson.

finfan54
04-13-2007, 08:52 PM

If we take him, it better be at 40, because I will absolutely puke if we take him at 9. VERY OVERRATED.

I also do not understand KC wanting to take him after stealing Mac from us. Right tackle maybe?

Pats makes sense because they have two picks in rd. 1 and he is more likely around that spot IMO (even though I think the guy should be a second rounder all the way).

If we do take Staley at 9 (which would truly suck), and then Houston takes Brown at 10, then the Giants would be pissin their droors bigtime and Eli will be dead meat in London with JT and Joey bearing down quickly.

Jaj
04-13-2007, 08:56 PM
If we take him, it better be at 40, because I will absolutely puke if we take him at 9. VERY OVERRATED.

I also do not understand KC wanting to take him after stealing Mac from us. Right tackle maybe?

Pats makes sense because they have two picks in rd. 1 and he is more likely around that spot IMO (even though I think the guy should be a second rounder all the way).

If we do take Staley at 9 (which would truly suck), and then Houston takes Brown at 10, then the Giants would be pissin their droors bigtime and Eli will be dead meat in London with JT and Joey bearing down quickly.

Have you ever watched him? I guess I'll send you a bag becaue there's a good chance it happens.

finfan54
04-13-2007, 09:00 PM

Great points CK. A little perplexed about the peterson-Sanders comparison only because I dont know a whole lot about the guy but Sanders was like 5'8" and bounced around like a Kangaroo. I always thought we would never see anyone like Sanders again. But if your talking about potential for greatness I can see that.