PDA

View Full Version : Bragging Rights?

M-REAL
07-08-2003, 02:58 PM
I see that the first and second NFL games are as follows: Sat. Aug.2 -American Bowl(Tokyo) Jets vs. Bucs and Mon. Aug.4 -Hall of Fame Game(Canton, Oh.) Packers vs. Chiefs. What I don't understand( I've never watched these before) is are these games for bragging rights or do they have a significant meaning behind them? Someone help!:confused:

TerryTate
07-10-2003, 08:41 PM
preseason, the only meaning to thee games is that they arent played in the usual places (hall of fame, Tokyo)....nfl is trying to expand its great sport to the world by playing in Japan.

could you imagine if htis sport started getting players from overseas...wow....check back on this in about 10 years...

M-REAL
07-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Oh, I see. You know Ultimate, this thread I posted here has been around for awhile and noone except you has been kind enough to answer so I really appreciate it. Back to what the last thing you said, that would be cool to get players from overseas. Although, it seems that in some countries the athletes are not built to withstand the punishment that our NFL players endure IMO. I mean, some of the NFL guys are huge and I wouldn't want to be hit by them. Would you?

Prime Time
07-13-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by ultimateFINFAN
preseason, the only meaning to thee games is that they arent played in the usual places (hall of fame, Tokyo)....nfl is trying to expand its great sport to the world by playing in Japan.

could you imagine if htis sport started getting players from overseas...wow....check back on this in about 10 years...

Sorry, football is not a great sport. Football is a GOOD sport. Soccer (the real Football) is the ONLY GREAT sport because every country participates and the winners can rightfully be called World Champs unlike Baseba;;'s World Series where it is just America participating.

M-REAL
07-13-2003, 03:47 PM
ARE YOU SERIOUS? Football is (NFL) the #1 sport in the world. And by the way, why is it that when soccer teams play each other in some countries they have massive riots? Because being considered World Champs is worth people getting hurt? I don't know about that.

Prime Time
07-13-2003, 06:18 PM
Marcusreal, get real. American Football is # 1 here in the United States. Everywhere else in the World Football (what you people call soccer) is the best sport in the world. All countries participate and when they win the World Cup, they can rightfully be called World Champs unlike all the stupid crap of saying the Bucs are SB champions of the world. I like American Football, it is a very good sport. I love my Dolphins, but Football is much much better, more passion and the guys cannot be 300 pound guys. Soccer is the WORLD's sport. As for the riot thing, why because that is how much people are into their teams. If you grew up watching soccer you would have the same passion. But I am assuming you were raised here in the US and in the US "soccer sux" and therefore you could careless for it. I mean don't people get into fights with one another during football games? People are still getting hurt. Riots don't happen that often either. I think I heard the average was 2 every decades.

M-REAL
07-15-2003, 12:40 PM
I think soccer in other countries is the MAIN sport, in other words, it's the lack of options. Don't you think if they had the money and tools needed they would maybe put together a football program like the NFL? Hey, I use to play futball, or soccer, before I played tackle football. In the US, i agree with you that most people don't give soccer its due recognition. However, teams getting to the SB is no easy task. NFL players have, besides pro. Boxers, the most gruelling training regimend in the world. Riots? One broke out after the Raiders game if I am not mistaken. Bring more debate if you wish, peace.

M-REAL
07-15-2003, 03:06 PM
Oh BTW, how come the SB is the world's most watched sporting event on TV, year after year? As a matter of fact, last year the AFC and NFC championships ratings' were up 20 something % from the previous one. I am sorry to tell you that the reason why the SB champs are the world champs because you have to be the best of the best to carry a title like that and NFL football is the greatest sport in the world. How could millions of fans world-wide be wrong? One more hypo- thing. If the soccer championships and the SB were live on the same day, but on different channels- who do you think would have the higher ratings? Get Real? I am for Real.

MarinoFan
07-15-2003, 03:37 PM
I think that American Football is number one hands down. What everyone else plays out there is because that is what they are able to play. You cannot get the bets athletes in some third world country and put them up against the Bengals. It would be a slaughter, not even fair. The reason everyone plays soccer is because it is a sport that anyone can play regardless of the size. Look at basketball, played worldwide, but in general we have the best, same goes for baseball. Get the best athletes from around the world to form a football team, that are not from the US, and match them up against the Bucaneers. Now who is a world champion?

Prime Time
07-16-2003, 01:20 PM
LoL. Actually the WC is watched more by fans. The WC finals are watched by millions around the world. Pretty much only US watches the SB and maybe some people in Europe but not more than 4 million in Europe. The WC is only every 4 years that is why SB is best show every year besides the year of the World Cup.

The best of the best? lol! The best of the best would mean competing against other countries not just against people from your own country.

NFL is not a sport buddy get it right. Football (the real soccer) is the best sport in the World and it is a fact because more people watch it, more people play it, more people follow it.

The World Cup would win in ratings battle everywhere else but the US, which would mean the World Cup would get more ratings wise because more people watch "soccer". Every country follows it so they would watch it....I doubt people in Brazil will be watching the SuperBowl. So it is easy math, what is bigger in poulation, The USA or the rest of the world? The rest of the world, so obviously more people would watch the World Cup.

Prime Time
07-16-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by MarinoFan
The reason everyone plays soccer is because it is a sport that anyone can play regardless of the size.

:lol: What are you smoking? Yeah Football has those fat 300 pound men on O-line and DTs that could not even run 200 yards without stopping. Soccer you cannot play if you are 300 lbs, you have to be fit and in GREAT shape. Let's see you run for 90 minutes, sprinting as fast as you can for 20 of those 90 minutes, With a 15 minute break in between the two 45 minute intervals. I mean you never see a 300 LB man not even a 250 LB man playing soccer. Baseball has its fat *** Pitchers,and fat *** hitters.

You do not only have to be in shape but you have to practice it every damn day of your life if you want to be pro. American Football, Baseball, and Basketball, you do not have to practice every day of your life to be pro. You have to practice alot but not every day. Maybe 4-5, 6 days most a week. Soccer you have to play with your friends, play by yourself, and then play with your team (in leagues) that night. I mean what takes more skill scoring a hat-trick or, rushing for 100 yards? What takes more skill, saving a 90 MPH+ penalty kick or blocking a FG/punt. So face facts my fellow Dol-Fans, that Football (the real one) is the best sport out there. I am not saying American Football sucks because I like it alot, but Football is better than it.

Oh also BTW, when do you see one of "Soccer" 's all star players be arrested for running over a cop with their car? Getting caught smoking marijuana? Getting caught with weed? Getting caught using steroids? You don't because soccer player's have class unlike most player's in other sports who think they are badass and that they're **** don't smell.

baccarat
07-16-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Prime Time
All countries participate and when they win the World Cup, they can rightfully be called World Champs unlike all the stupid crap of saying the Bucs are SB champions of the world. I

:confused: Um, the Bucs are the Super Bowl Champs. They're the best in the NFL and name one team outside the NFL that could beat them?

baccarat
07-16-2003, 02:18 PM
LoL. Actually the WC is watched more by fans. The WC finals are watched by millions around the world. Pretty much only US watches the SB and maybe some people in Europe but not more than 4 million in Europe. The WC is only every 4 years that is why SB is best show every year besides the year of the World Cup.

Mind backing up your statement? Show me one year when the Super Bowl did not get the best ratings!

Oh also BTW, when do you see one of "Soccer" 's all star players be arrested for running over a cop with their car? Getting caught smoking marijuana? Getting caught with weed? Getting caught using steroids? You don't because soccer player's have class unlike most player's in other sports who think they are badass and that they're **** don't smell.

:lol: Please, organized crime plays a huge factor in countries like Russia and Britain. Does the name udday Hussein mean anything? What about his little torture chambers in the Olympic HQ for athletes who perform poorly? Does he have class too? Is he one of your soccer angels? And do the words soccer hooligans mean anything?

Prime Time
07-16-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by booyeah_

Mind backing up your statement? Show me one year when the Super Bowl did not get the best ratings!

:lol: Please, organized crime plays a huge factor in countries like Russia and Britain. Does the name udday Hussein mean anything? What about his little torture chambers in the Olympic HQ for athletes who perform poorly? Does he have class too? Is he one of your soccer angels? And do the words soccer hooligans mean anything?

Didn't I say soccer's stars? :lol: Please read thoroughly before posting :rolleyes:

baccarat
07-16-2003, 02:35 PM

Didn't I say soccer's stars? :lol: Please read thoroughly before posting :rolleyes:

You edited your post.

Lee Hendrie
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_790999.html

Prime Time
07-16-2003, 02:53 PM
The Year of the most recent World Cup

2002 - Super Bowl got 131.7 million http://www.usatoday.com/sports/nfl/super/2002-02-04-ratings.htm

I couldn't find anything on the World Cup 2002 so I emailed FIFA and asked them, I should get a reply soon.

Prime Time
07-16-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by booyeah_

You edited your post.

Lee Hendrie
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_790999.html

I edited it because I forgot to add that last paragraph.

M-REAL
07-16-2003, 03:00 PM
When you get a reply, PM me. Okay?

baccarat
07-16-2003, 03:19 PM

I edited it because I forgot to add that last paragraph.

Even if you did, you haven't addressed the integrity of soccer's administration.

And please name a team outside the NFL who can beat the Bucs.

Prime Time
07-16-2003, 03:30 PM
I am not talking about NFL. I am talking about how all the American League champions call themselves World Champions when all they are doing is playing other American Based teams.

baccarat
07-16-2003, 03:43 PM
I am not talking about NFL. I am talking about how all the American League champions call themselves World Champions when all they are doing is playing other American Based teams.

Name one team outside the MLB that could beat the Angels? Or the Giants.

Prime Time
07-16-2003, 07:31 PM
Booyeah_ you still don't get it do you? It is all American teams, they don't play teams from Europe or South America. That is my point.

baccarat
07-16-2003, 08:41 PM
Booyeah_ you still don't get it do you? It is all American teams, they don't play teams from Europe or South America. That is my point.

Why would they? Traveling across seas every day wouldn't be good for the players. Have you ever spent 6-12 hours on plane? Besides, why create more teams and thin out the talent? If someone from Europe, Asia or wherever wants to play they can try out for a team. Give me one reason why they aren't able to try out for a team. I guess Ichiro was born and raised in Iowa, huh?

Prime Time
07-16-2003, 11:24 PM
Becuase there are millions of people in this world who play sports and do not have money to come over here and play. That is why soccer is the only true sport in which there are World Champions.

baccarat
07-17-2003, 12:10 AM
Becuase there are millions of people in this world who play sports and do not have money to come over here and play. That is why soccer is the only true sport in which there are World Champions.

:lol: I guess all the Cuban players who come here on tiny rafts much be loaded, huh?

BTW, there are boxers, baseball and football players who are so fit they can make soccer players look like pansies.

Football (the real soccer) is the best sport in the World and it is a fact because more people watch it, more people play it, more people follow it.

Wow! It's a fact now? So if something's perceived by you as popular, it's automatically the best? Well, opinions are opinions. Is your favorite football player automatically the best player ever? Is your favorite movie automatically the unquestioned greatest movie ever?

This thread is getting stupid though. You obviously like soccer and most people here do not. That's ok, no one likes the same things but that doesn't make your opinion superior on subjects like this, especially without backing it with facts.

M-REAL
07-17-2003, 03:32 PM
The point is, maybe one out of ten soccer players could be fit enough to play for the NFL. Soccer players only have two things going for em'. One- Good stamina/ endurance and Two- Strong legs, that is it since they are not allowed to use their hands while playing their game. Why is it that Dr.'s in Italy are now saying that soccer players are being diagnosed at an alarming rate for Alzheimer's disease? They are saying that these players are getting this way from hitting the soccer ball with their heads! C'mon man! Football players might wear helmets but their heads are still taking damage. The reason for these players(soccer) being sick is because of poor diet and training unlike the NFL players who are rarely diagnosed with the same thing. I rest my case.

Prime Time
07-17-2003, 03:34 PM
Baseball players? :lol: :lol: Yeah right! Football players...:lol:, you have never played soccer in your life so please do not comment on players being more fit then them because that my friend is a stupid comment.

No my opinion does not make it the best. But if more people like soccer then football which is the better sport? Now I think you are smart enough to figure this out.:rolleyes:

Prime Time
07-17-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by marcusreal
The point is, maybe one out of ten soccer players could be fit enough to play for the NFL. Soccer players only have two things going for em'. One- Good stamina/ endurance and Two- Strong legs, that is it since they are not allowed to use their hands while playing their game. Why is it that Dr.'s in Italy are now saying that soccer players are being diagnosed at an alarming rate for Alzheimer's disease? They are saying that these players are getting this way from hitting the soccer ball with their heads! C'mon man! Football players might wear helmets but their heads are still taking damage. The reason for these players(soccer) being sick is because of poor diet and training unlike the NFL players who are rarely diagnosed with the same thing. I rest my case.

What an intelligent thing to say :rolleyes:. One out of ten? :lol: Please son, football you have timeouts, 40 second breaks in between plays, resting on the sideline when defense, offense switch. In American football players switch on/off the field constantly while in Soccer you only get a 15 minute break during 2 45 minutes intervals. That is your only break. So if anything it's one out of 10 ten American football players would be able to hang with a soccer player.

Oh and if you knew anything about "soccer", Goal Keepers use their hands, you use your hands on throw ins and players use their hands to place a ball the way they want it on Free Kicks/Penalty Kicks.

And one more thing, at least we stay true to our sport's name. Football, we are using our feet 95% of the game, unlike "American Football" (if you can call it that) in which they use their feet 5% percent of the time. :sleep:

baccarat
07-17-2003, 06:45 PM
Baseball players? :lol: :lol: Yeah right! Football players...:lol:, you have never played soccer in your life so please do not comment on players being more fit then them because that my friend is a stupid comment.

Based on your comments, you obviously don't know the difference between Cap Anson and Andy Cap. Some of the greatest athletes ever played baseball. James Cool Papa Bell could hit a line drive down the middle and have it hit his head on it sliding into second. Babe Ruth was named the second greatest athlete of the Century by ESPN. Ty Cobb is easily one of the greatest athletes ever and in my book the greatest baseball player ever. There are some out of shaped ball players, MO Vaughn, but many like Garciapara are in terrific shape. Not all ball players are "fat ***es". Just like not all soccer players are 100 lb. sissies. USA Today rated hitting a baseball the second most difficult thing to do in sports. Try doing that every day for 162 days in the heat of summer plus offseason training.

http://www.thomastontimes.com/articles/2003/04/14/news/sports/fowler.txt

As far as football is concern, how can you say that guys like Ricky Williams or Brian Urlacher are not top athletes? Few athletes are in better condition than the elite players in the NFL.

baccarat
07-17-2003, 06:54 PM

No my opinion does not make it the best. But if more people like soccer then football which is the better sport? Now I think you are smart enough to figure this out.:rolleyes:

You're obviously not smart enought to realize there's no proven best sport, it's just an opinion. We all have our favorite but just because one of them might be the most popular doesn't mean it's the best. If Travis Henry's jerseys are the most popular jeresy, does that make Henry the best RB? Better yet, is Gone With The Wind the undisputed best movie b/c it made the most money? No, b/c topics like what's the best sport aren't debatable b/c they're a matter of opinions.

iceblizzard69
07-17-2003, 09:51 PM
I have a few things to say.

First of all, saying soccer players aren't fit enough to play in the NFL is just stupid. Have you ever seen a fat soccer player playing professionally? Well, you haven't. They are all in shape.

Secondly, people can't just go from one sport to another. I can guarantee you that no NFL player would succeed playing soccer, and no soccer player would succeed in the NFL. They are two different sports and require different skills.

All soccer player HAVE TO BE IN SHAPE. Most football players if not all are in shape as well. They are both good athletes in different ways.

Franco, as for you, I sometimes wonder how you can call yourself a football fan because you seem to like to make fun of the sport.

As for which sport is the best, everyone has their different opinion. No one can say that it is a fact that one sport is the best. However, in my opinion, the best sport is football, and I am entitled to think that, just as PT is entitled to think that soccer is the best.

As for the world, it is very obvious that the number 1 sport is soccer. They have football in other countries, but not many people like it. They have the NFLE, it gets decent attendance, but soccer is king almost everywhere. If you think football is the number 1 sport in the world, then you must also think the world is just the United States.

Prime Time
07-17-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

First of all, saying soccer players aren't fit enough to play in the NFL is just stupid. Have you ever seen a fat soccer player playing professionally? Well, you haven't. They are all in shape.

Secondly, people can't just go from one sport to another. I can guarantee you that no NFL player would succeed playing soccer, and no soccer player would succeed in the NFL. They are two different sports and require different skills.

All soccer player HAVE TO BE IN SHAPE. Most football players if not all are in shape as well. They are both good athletes in different ways.

Franco, as for you, I sometimes wonder how you can call yourself a football fan because you seem to like to make fun of the sport.

As for which sport is the best, everyone has their different opinion. No one can say that it is a fact that one sport is the best. However, in my opinion, the best sport is football, and I am entitled to think that, just as PT is entitled to think that soccer is the best.

As for the world, it is very obvious that the number 1 sport is soccer. They have football in other countries, but not many people like it. They have the NFLE, it gets decent attendance, but soccer is king almost everywhere. If you think football is the number 1 sport in the world, then you must also think the world is just the United States.

Ice you are the man! You saved me about 3 more pages of arguing. When is your brithday? I will send you any soccer jersey you want anyone :goof:. I did not mean to say Soccer is the best sport in the World, to me it is. What I meant to say (but didn't express myself too good) was that soccer is the # 1 sport in the world as you stated because just about every country plays it and enjoys it.

I don't like making fun of football, I just defend my favorite sport.

baccarat
07-18-2003, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

:up: That's one of the few rational things said on this thread.

M-REAL
07-20-2003, 02:01 PM
Okay, maybe saying soccer players aren't fit enough for the NFL is stupid, I admit. However, saying that a soccer player could not go from soccer to Nfl is a stupid statement too. Here's why: The first sport that I have ever played was soccer. The second sport, even tho it wasn't the NFL, was football(not flag). It can be done. I admit the training for soccer is not easy but the training for football was a hell of alot harder than soccer's training was. But still it can be done, I mean I realize a 300 pd. O-line man couldn't cross over and try his hand at soccer but it can be done the other way around, trust me I've done it. Like you said, it's your opinion, my O, PT's O, and nothing more on the way we see things. Okay and since we got technical on the "world sport" thing, all I say is whatever:sleep: Oh, and BTW Blizzard- different skills, you say? People can adapt to different training routines and adjust accordingly if they are true athletes.

Alien(<>..<>)
07-20-2003, 04:12 PM
Prime Time:

I have played both sports and got to tell you that Football (American) is way harder, the trainning is a killer for the body, conditioning, no to mention hitting. On the other hand soccer is more of skills and more relaxed. Besides I hate when in soccer the players are whimps, just a little push and they fall on the ground crying and stuff, pretending that they got really hurt but they are just trying to get a free shot or something, that's just what I hate about soccer.
But I do agree with you, soccer is the #1 sport in the world and is funny that in base ball they call it the world series when it is only teams from the US.

And one last question, why are you in this forum if you love soccer that much? every time I see your picture of Batistuta (by the way what did he do in the world cup? nothing!) I think: am I in a Dolphin forum or a River Plate (soccer team) forum?

Soccer is only good during the world cup (every 4 years) and some european matches, other than that its boring just like hockey and baseball they play too much. I lived in Mexico and every time you turn on the TV there si soccer, week ends, weekdays, winter, summer, fall, all the fricking time. It is boring specilly when the final score is 0-0. It sucks!

baccarat
07-20-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Alien(&lt;&gt;..&lt;&gt;)

But I do agree with you, soccer is the #1 sport in the world and is funny that in base ball they call it the world series when it is only teams from the US.

When did we annexes Toronto? Again, players across the World play in the majors and if a player in Prague wants to play in the big leagues he can try out. Do you honestly believe MLB is not the best baseball league in the World? If not, which is?

Prime Time
07-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Alien :nono:. If you were passionate for soccer which you are obviously not then you wouldn't be saying this. Anyway, Batstuta scored a goal in the World Cup that is what he did. Soccer is just more then the World Cup....that's if you are passionate about the sport. It is like a soccer fan saying....the Super Bowl is the only thing that counts in the NFL. Although true, there is more to that. Seeing players develop etc. It is all good though.

BTW....You will be seeing these Soccer pictures until 1 Week before Miami's season begins :evil:

Prime Time
07-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Batistuta won the game Vs Nigeria for Argentina.

Sofa_King_Drunk
07-22-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by marcusreal
Oh BTW, how come the SB is the world's most watched sporting event on TV, year after year? As a matter of fact, last year the AFC and NFC championships ratings' were up 20 something % from the previous one. I am sorry to tell you that the reason why the SB champs are the world champs because you have to be the best of the best to carry a title like that and NFL football is the greatest sport in the world. How could millions of fans world-wide be wrong? One more hypo- thing. If the soccer championships and the SB were live on the same day, but on different channels- who do you think would have the higher ratings? Get Real? I am for Real.

Referring to the Super Bowl -
"and more than 800 million worldwide watch the game on television, "http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2001/playoffs/news/2001/01/23/tampa_scene/ (http://)

Referring to the World Cup-

"The 2002 FIFA World Cup Finals kick-off on May 31 in Seoul, Korea and end with the Final in Yokohama, Japan on 30 June. An estimated cumulative total TV audience of over 34 billion people will watch the final 64 matches of the 2002 FIFA World Cup."

http://www.itweb.co.za/office/avaya/0202220817.htm (http://)

Each match of the WC earns an average worldwide tv audience in excess of 500,000,000. I would think that as teams get eliminated their fans continue to watch following matches, and I've seen estimates that as many as two BILLION viewers tune in worldwide for the final match. Personally I would rather go to the dentist for a three hour drill session or maybe watch some paint dry than watch an entire soccer match. Clearly the world feels differently than I do.

Prime Time
07-22-2003, 07:54 PM
Clearly indeed........

Prime Time
07-22-2003, 08:04 PM
But like I said Soccer is the #1 sport in the world. :D. 2 Billion people.....DAYUM!

M-REAL
07-23-2003, 12:03 PM
I guess I was wrong, but I still think football is the best sport in the world.:tongue:

Prime Time
07-24-2003, 07:24 PM
That is what you think...and not the world ;)

Oh and BTW I have to reply to a comment made by IceBlizzard69...

"Secondly, people can't just go from one sport to another. I can guarantee you that no NFL player would succeed playing soccer, and no soccer player would succeed in the NFL. They are two different sports and require different skills."

Tony Meola is the only one exception to this.

iceblizzard69
07-25-2003, 08:34 AM
That is what you think...and not the world ;)

Oh and BTW I have to reply to a comment made by IceBlizzard69...

&quot;Secondly, people can't just go from one sport to another. I can guarantee you that no NFL player would succeed playing soccer, and no soccer player would succeed in the NFL. They are two different sports and require different skills.&quot;

Tony Meola is the only one exception to this.

Well, he was a keeper who wanted money so he decided to be an NFL punter. Soccer players becoming punters or kickers could be the one exception.