PDA

View Full Version : NCAA 08 Preview

Medieval954
04-13-2007, 09:01 AM
IGN Article highlights...

NCAA runs at a smooth 60 frames per second, has gang tackles, bruising hits and raucous crowds that don't stop for anything, not even the pause menu.

Our senior CB happens to be an impact player, and his influence extends to the rest of his team. As part of NCAA Football 08's Lead By Example feature , the rest of the team is so enamored with our senior CB's score that they are in the zone, bursting with confidence, ready to run right over their opponents straight to the nearest sorority house.

There are no girlfriends in the next-gen debut of Campus Legend, the stellar create-a-player mode analogous to Madden's Superstar mode. This season, you create a stud, create a high school and jump right into the state championship playoffs. If you went to IGN High in San Francisco, you'll play on the local field against the likes of Oakland, San Jose and powerhouse Chico. If you reach the finals you'll play on one of the NCAA stadiums for the state championship. Scouts will take notice of your play, and the farther you lead your team the more scholarship offers you are going to get. If you stink it up, you can still walk-on at your favorite school (and clean the seniors' jocks, you scrub.).

Campus Legend makes great use of the new Super Sim feature that allows you to skip single plays or to the next change of possession. You can still watch every play from the sideline through the eyes of your legend, but you can also skip ahead to the next time he takes the field. Super Sim is available in every game, which will come in handy during Dynasty mode when you want to get your second stringers on the field to mop up.

We, of course, saved the best for last. NCAA 08 will include possibly the single greatest sports feature of all time: The Weather Channel. That's right, EA penned a deal with the network so that every game will kick-off with the exact weather conditions at that very moment in wherever the heck you are playing. Hurricane season in South Florida at 3 a.m.? Game on.

Rest of article:
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/780/780221p1.html

Gamespot article highlight...

One last stat to whet your appetite: NCAA 08 will include 115 modeled college football stadiums, up from around 40 in the previous year's game. In addition, several stadiums have been tweaked in accordance with their real-life upgrades from the previous year (Crimson Tide fans, we're looking at you).

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/ncaafootball08/news.html?sid=6168928&tag=topslot%3Btitle%3B2&page=2

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif

Stitches
04-13-2007, 09:17 AM
That weather channel things sounds pretty freaking awesome to tell you the truth.

Motion
04-13-2007, 09:38 AM
Sweet starting out in HS playoffs!

Weather Channel thing is sweet as well.

Offerdahl56
04-13-2007, 11:18 AM
wow....that weather thing does seem sweet....can't wait to get my hands on that one...

Dolfan11
04-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Yeah, sounds like they actually put some effort into a football game for once. I can' wait.

Dors156
04-13-2007, 01:47 PM
i think the high school playoffs is the most exciting thing to me. that sounds cool and then the weather thing sounds awsome as well.

Motion
04-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Still can't believe Zabransky got the cover. :shakeno:

Slappy8800
04-13-2007, 02:23 PM
sounds like alot of bells and whistles

Boston
04-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Isn't that what a game is suppose to be? Fun? Well with all these *bells and whistles* it'll be 10x better.

Majpain
04-14-2007, 02:24 PM
IS it just me or do they make the college games 10X better than the pro games?

Motion
04-14-2007, 02:46 PM
IS it just me or do they make the college games 10X better than the pro games?

:yes: I've always liked NCAA more than Madden

StormSurge
04-14-2007, 04:28 PM
I played MLB 2K7 the other night & I thought the game was mirroring the actual weather because it was 38 in NY and that was pretty much the actual weather. It was probably coincidence, but it will be cool to see in NCAA.

Medieval954
04-14-2007, 04:53 PM
Gamespot article highlight...

One last stat to whet your appetite: NCAA 08 will include 115 modeled college football stadiums, up from around 40 in the previous year's game. In addition, several stadiums have been tweaked in accordance with their real-life upgrades from the previous year (Crimson Tide fans, we're looking at you).

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/spor...tle%3B2&page=2 (http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/ncaafootball08/news.html?sid=6168928&tag=topslot%3Btitle%3B2&page=2)

First post updated :D

Boston
04-14-2007, 06:17 PM
only 4 teams wont have authentic stadiums. Why not just get all 119.

Perfect23
04-14-2007, 07:40 PM
hells yeah

HysterikiLL
04-14-2007, 07:43 PM
:yes: I've always liked NCAA more than Madden

I'm always split between the two. I love the sports so much, but my inability to limit my support for any one college team makes it hard for me to get through too many dynasty seasons. Graphics wise, I have to go with Madden though.. NCAA dudes just look out of proportion compared to madden and kinda robotic. A lot of the uniforms could be upgraded too (I'm talking current-gen)

HysterikiLL
04-14-2007, 07:51 PM
btw, i wonder when these guys can actually work it out to get a god damn save game feature in the ****in game!

In_Flames
04-14-2007, 08:26 PM
I'm a fan of both but definitely prefer NCAA over Madden.

Boston
04-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Can't wait for dynasty mode.

JT#1
04-14-2007, 10:50 PM
*Drool*

Agent51
04-15-2007, 03:16 AM
This "High School Championship" feature sounds excellent, as does real-time weather.

I'm wondering if "watch from the sideline" ACTUALY means watch from the sideline this time. Like, in Madden, in SS mode, you were supposed to "watch from the sideling" when you weren't on the field, but you just watched the game exactly the same as if you were playing, you just couldn't control it (unless you changed the settings). I want to ACTUALLY stand on the sidelines and watch the play from that POV. I think it would be cool to be able to control your guy on the sideline too, just be able to walk up and down the sideline to follow the action as it moves down the field, and walk either right up front, because you're nerves are shot being down in a big game with less than a minute left and your team is driving and you just HAVE to see what happens, or go hang back by the water cooler/benches and mope like Randy Moss. It would also be cool if you could ru out on the field after a huge TD. Like you guys were down 5 with 10 seconds left and you are a defensive player so you're on the sideline and your team scores right as the clock runs out on a huge pass or something and you all charge onto the field, that woul dbe cool.

I know it seems like a lot to ask, and maybe minor details, but think of how much realism that would add, and how much it would add to the fact that you ARE this player. Only being able to control your guy in Madden's SS mode was cool, but watching from the same vantage point even when you weren't on the field kind of took away from that feeling, so being able to control him on the sidelines would be so cool. It would be that much closer to actually BEING that player. Plus, the next-gen versions of NCAA and Madden have been HUGE dissappointments the past 2 attempts, so they should pull out ALL the stops this time. I love the announced upgrades, but this one would be cool too.

HysterikiLL
04-15-2007, 03:29 AM
This "High School Championship" feature sounds excellent, as does real-time weather.

I'm wondering if "watch from the sideline" ACTUALY means watch from the sideline this time. Like, in Madden, in SS mode, you were supposed to "watch from the sideling" when you weren't on the field, but you just watched the game exactly the same as if you were playing, you just couldn't control it (unless you changed the settings). I want to ACTUALLY stand on the sidelines and watch the play from that POV. I think it would be cool to be able to control your guy on the sideline too, just be able to walk up and down the sideline to follow the action as it moves down the field, and walk either right up front, because you're nerves are shot being down in a big game with less than a minute left and your team is driving and you just HAVE to see what happens, or go hang back by the water cooler/benches and mope like Randy Moss. It would also be cool if you could ru out on the field after a huge TD. Like you guys were down 5 with 10 seconds left and you are a defensive player so you're on the sideline and your team scores right as the clock runs out on a huge pass or something and you all charge onto the field, that woul dbe cool.

I know it seems like a lot to ask, and maybe minor details, but think of how much realism that would add, and how much it would add to the fact that you ARE this player. Only being able to control your guy in Madden's SS mode was cool, but watching from the same vantage point even when you weren't on the field kind of took away from that feeling, so being able to control him on the sidelines would be so cool. It would be that much closer to actually BEING that player. Plus, the next-gen versions of NCAA and Madden have been HUGE dissappointments the past 2 attempts, so they should pull out ALL the stops this time. I love the announced upgrades, but this one would be cool too.

I know what you mean about the sideline thing, I think that'd be awesome. To interact with teammates would be awesome. Stuff like that, IMO, is what it takes to make a superstar mode work. I couldn't play the last madden version though, I was sick with how you had to wait like 5 seconds after every play for that laggy points thing to come up and tell me I got 2 points for making a small gain. That aint realistic at all.

Motion
04-15-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm always split between the two. I love the sports so much, but my inability to limit my support for any one college team makes it hard for me to get through too many dynasty seasons. Graphics wise, I have to go with Madden though.. NCAA dudes just look out of proportion compared to madden and kinda robotic. A lot of the uniforms could be upgraded too (I'm talking current-gen)

Wow, I'd say the exact opposite. Madden is much more like that IMO.

Bruzer
04-15-2007, 12:41 PM
i haven't played ncaa is the a.i better than madden i hate running to the outside and 2 blockers miss one guy and he tackles me or is it still basically the same.

DrewAlmighty
04-15-2007, 03:35 PM
Haha, that weather channel thing is awesome! I know when you play Madden on Thanksgiving they mention it. (Happened to me on PS2)

Motion
04-15-2007, 03:36 PM
i haven't played ncaa is the a.i better than madden i hate running to the outside and 2 blockers miss one guy and he tackles me or is it still basically the same.

I think the running game is 10x better in NCAA, especially using an option offense.

brandon27
04-15-2007, 03:38 PM
wow. this sounds awesome! cant wait until this one is done. I loved 07. even though it wasnt the prettiest looking game on my 360. but this sounds awesome.. the weather channel thing is really cool too. hopefully you still have the ability to actually set it yourself to what you want though. Cant wait to get the big house rockin on my 360 again go blue!

Nappy Roots
04-15-2007, 03:45 PM
I think the running game is 10x better in NCAA, especially using an option offense.

eh, ive always had trouble running up the middle in NCAA, and its pretty easy to get outside in the game. outside of that, i do agree its better, just not by 10xs..

Motion
04-15-2007, 03:49 PM
eh, ive always had trouble running up the middle in NCAA, and its pretty easy to get outside in the game. outside of that, i do agree its better, just not by 10xs..

Okay so I may have exaggerated a bit. :lol:

Clark Kent
04-15-2007, 04:06 PM
The one thing I hated about NCAA is the WR/TE can't catch the ball, even if they're wide open. I couldn't get into it because of that. Then again, it was 2005. Has that been fixed?

Boston
04-15-2007, 04:34 PM
2005 sucked, i hated the lagginess of running.

04 Is the best.

Nappy Roots
04-15-2007, 04:34 PM
The one thing I hated about NCAA is the WR/TE can't catch the ball, even if they're wide open. I couldn't get into it because of that. Then again, it was 2005. Has that been fixed?

yea, i had to up the catch slider all the way up for me to even play the game. the drops were ridiculous.

Alex44
04-15-2007, 05:06 PM

I've always had such an easier time running up the middle, you make the first guy miss and most of the time you get at least 10 yards regardless what difficulty you play.

Agent51
04-15-2007, 08:42 PM
I know what you mean about the sideline thing, I think that'd be awesome. To interact with teammates would be awesome. Stuff like that, IMO, is what it takes to make a superstar mode work. I couldn't play the last madden version though, I was sick with how you had to wait like 5 seconds after every play for that laggy points thing to come up and tell me I got 2 points for making a small gain. That aint realistic at all.

Yeah, I HATE that. Also, when you first take the field how you line up for the first series and right before the snap it always pauses then goes to the screen to distribute points to teamates (or yourself). Or having to look at 3 different camera sweeps of the same pillar in the stadium after every play with no way to skip it. :shakeno:

VT Dolphan
04-15-2007, 09:55 PM

The drops can be rough, but thats what user catches are for...if you got the skills of course :cooldude:

User catches work almost all of the time, and will infuriate your friends almost every time as well.

HysterikiLL
04-15-2007, 10:08 PM
I've always had such an easier time running up the middle, you make the first guy miss and most of the time you get at least 10 yards regardless what difficulty you play.

The problem I've had is that there seems to be a big gap in consistency, created by the big gap in difficulty. I've always had problems with the AI (brought on mainly by that damn atmosphere crap) and I can either be a 200 yards rushing a game kind of guy, or struggle to break 50.

Madden, IMO, is much better for running this last year, just because the blocking is overall much better. Also, I have a bad habit to lateral way too much when my guy is getting tackled which results in a lot of lost fumbles :lol:

Boston
04-15-2007, 11:24 PM
The option is an art.

Clark Kent
04-16-2007, 12:26 AM
The drops can be rough, but thats what user catches are for...if you got the skills of course :cooldude:

User catches work almost all of the time, and will infuriate your friends almost every time as well.I'm OK with user catches. It's impossible for me to throw up a bomb and run under it and catch it. I switch to the WR (and this goes for Madden too) and for that 1 quick second he slows down (no turbo until I press it) and then I get off course. It's a pain in the ***. It's not asking to to much for the WR not to drop everything is it?

However on defense, I am a beast with user controls.

HysterikiLL
04-16-2007, 03:37 AM
User catches on madden are pretty easy IMO. You can just slow yourself in front of the defender and catch it over his shoulder as you turn around. If your dude is fast enough, and you catch it clean enough, you can take it to the house from there.

I find it almost impossible to catch them in stride in Madden though, unless their defense has a major breakdown. It's just too hard to place the ball over the top, and that's one thing I'd like to be able to do in Madden more -- throw more leading passes.

Agent51
04-16-2007, 06:22 AM
User catches on madden are pretty easy IMO. You can just slow yourself in front of the defender and catch it over his shoulder as you turn around. If your dude is fast enough, and you catch it clean enough, you can take it to the house from there.

I find it almost impossible to catch them in stride in Madden though, unless their defense has a major breakdown. It's just too hard to place the ball over the top, and that's one thing I'd like to be able to do in Madden more -- throw more leading passes.

You can do lead passing stuff ONLY if the vision cones are on, and I HATE those, they are so annoying to use. We should be able to lead recievers and place the ball where we want regardless of if we have the vision cone turned on or not.

Also, leading sucks when scrambling. Say you are scrambling right and then see an open guy, you you try to throw on the run the ball will be "lead" in the direction you were running and it is always WAY way in front of the guy. You have to stop and set your feet first, but that can't always happen in the NFL, guys sometimes have to throw on the run, so you shouldn't be penalized for trying it in Madden. I'm not asking for every pass to be on the mark when throwing while running, but these are NFL QBs, and in real life they can make most of those throws without launching it 10 yards in front of the guy.

Medieval954
04-26-2007, 10:51 PM
New video and pics :)

Video
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/890/890431/vids_1.html

Pics
http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/04/ncaafootball08200704260tu9-1.jpg

Stitches
04-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Damn, that video looks sweet. I was gonna skip it this year, but it looks like there is gonna be a huge improvement.

AirMarino83
04-27-2007, 12:34 AM
yeah, the game looks sweet, ill pick this one up for sure, and play the month or two before madden comes out.

Stitches
04-27-2007, 08:14 AM
yeah, the game looks sweet, ill pick this one up for sure, and play the month or two before madden comes out.

I think I might skip Madden this year. I always end up playing college more, and it's hard to split time between both games.

arsenal
04-27-2007, 08:18 AM
wow looks good... i had gotten NCAA for my PSP last year, then madden for the 360, but i really didn't like last years madden, i dont know what it was but i didn't play it like i had in the past on the ps2... hopefully this years madden is sick... but this **** looks nice, NCAA might be creeping up on me over madden

Motion
04-27-2007, 08:32 AM
I think I might skip Madden this year. I always end up playing college more, and it's hard to split time between both games.

:yes:

NCAA>Madden

Alex44
04-27-2007, 08:39 AM
:yes:

NCAA>Madden

I love both games so I won't say that but....

Recruiting a freshman QB, playing with him for 4 years in NCAA then importing him and making him a superstar on the Phins > Life itself

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is football.

mor911
04-27-2007, 08:51 AM
I love both games so I won't say that but....

Recruiting a freshman QB, playing with him for 4 years in NCAA then importing him and making him a superstar on the Phins > Life itself

There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is football.Until the stupid fins don't come after you :shakeno: :boohoo:

Motion
04-27-2007, 09:20 AM
Are the player ratings out yet for this???

I'm interested to see Tebow and Harvin's ratings.

If they gave Hester a 100 for speed in Madden, Harvin better have 120 in NCAA. :lol: