PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else build computers?

Dajesus
07-10-2003, 04:40 AM
If you have built your own computer or are thinking about doing so, you have get the Barton AMD 2500+ xp processor. The CPU costs around $90 online, and with the right motherboard it can be the best AMD chip on the market. The chip comes unlocked so you can overclock the hell out of it. My board supports 400fsb, so with a little tweaking the 2500 reaches 2.40 ghz, and 420 FSB. My system reconizes the chip as a AMD 3200. The amazing thing about this chip is it is geared to take the stress. I did shell out a few bucks for a heat sink, but under intense gameing i have yet to reach 40 degrees cellcius. Seriously for the money this chip can't be touched. I recommend a dual channel DDR nforce 2 ultra chipset to go along with the box. I have never done such effective work on my cpu before, and this thing is lighting quick.

Muck
07-10-2003, 11:16 AM
The 2500 rules. You can't beat the value of that chip in a good nForce 2 board running dual channel. And no, there is no shame in buying a good heatsink for it. Actually, the shame comes if you DON'T buy a good one. And yes....it's highly overclockable. :)

Now the Barton core is going to be the default on all XP processors, so to speak. Because AMD can yield more CPUs from the Barton waifer, they scuttled the Throroughbred line. Now you have the Thorton core. It's a Barton with half it's L2 cache disabled, running at 266MHz FSB. Simply replaces the Thoroughbred is all....and lowers prices. :)

Muck
07-10-2003, 11:24 AM
Speaking of temperatures, wanna hear something crazy?? I'm working on this computer with a P3 Slot 1 processor last night. I fire it up and jump into the BIOS. And the BIOS reports the CPU is running between....get this.....192-203F!!! LOL. I mean, it had been running a total of 15 seconds. So I flash the BIOS and then jump into Windows. I play around a bit and jump back into the BIOS. That "heavy load" caused it to jump to 219-235F!!! LOL. I think it's safe to say that the thermister is a little off. :tongue:

BTW - those are some damn good temps, DJ. :up: