PDA

View Full Version : AFC Notes: Offseason Winners & Losers (merged)

dolphan39
07-10-2003, 11:35 AM
AFC Notes: Offseason Winners & Losers by Rick Kamla (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-afcnotesoffseasonwin&prov=fanball&type=fantasy)

(Disclaimer: Defensive upgrades or downgrades were not considered in determining the offseason winners and losers. I repeat: This article has nothing to do with DEFENSE.)

Offseason Winners
10. Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins were quasi-winners during the offseason. Certainly, the free agent trade of Ray Lucas for Brian Griese improved and insured the offense. That said, they did nothing to upgrade an average offensive line, Chris Chambers continues to battle injuries, and they still lack a No. 2 receiver.

Offseason Losers
5. New England Patriots
2. New York Jets
1. Buffalo Bills The Bills ostensibly traded Peerless Price for Willis McGahee. That ranks as the worst move of the offseason :lol:

zach13
07-10-2003, 12:14 PM
Great stuff.

The article actually had a lot more to say negatively about the Bills:

"Trading a young Pro-Bowl receiver for a running back who may never play pro ball could go down as one of the worst trades ever. The Bills also royally screwed up at kicker, going out of their way to sign the inconsistent Rian Lindell when they already had the steady Mike Hollis. Worse yet, the Bills are paying Lindell over a mill a year for the next four years. Amanda Bynes could do a better job running this team."

:)

Justasportsfan
07-10-2003, 12:29 PM
Yeah, that was from yahoo.com written by a yahoo.

dolphan39
07-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by justafan
Yeah, that was from yahoo.com written by a yahoo. he's actually from fanball.com, but you think McGahee for Price is a good trade for the Bills ?

MarinoFan
07-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Had it said Buffalo made the best moves, YAHOO would be the top of the line sportsread.

iceblizzard69
07-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Dude, that article SUCKED! BIG TIME!

First of all, they had us having the 10th best offseason in the AFC? That isn't good. They don't even mention Seau or Knight, and in most of them all they talk about is the draft. I like how they ripped on other teams, but that article was pretty bad. They had the Colts as a winner although they lost Peterson? The article has the Steelers above us just because they lost Kordell Stewart. The Steelers also lost a pretty good tackle in Wayne Gandy. Their offseason wasn't good. They have the Jaguars as winners for drafting Leftwich? Excuse me, but signing Hugh Douglas was pretty good, that is why they are winners. They also have the Bills as bigger losers than the Jets? The Bills signed a very good LB in Takeo Spikes, but of course that gets no mention. I could rip that article for days because it is so stupid.

Justasportsfan
07-10-2003, 12:41 PM
Nobody knows whether it's a good or bad pick yet until he hits the field. It could very well be the worse pick or the best . Nobody has come up with a name that would've been a great pick for the bills at 23. Everyone thought Kelsay and we got him in the 2nd rd.

I know it's just an opinion. He's opinion though says it's a definite bust. Price for McGahee was not a trade. Price was gone no matter what because he was asking a no. 1 salary.

Justasportsfan
07-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

First of all, they had us having the 10th best offseason in the AFC? That isn't good. They don't even mention Seau or Knight, and in most of them all they talk about is the draft. I like how they ripped on other teams, but that article was pretty bad. They had the Colts as a winner although they lost Peterson? The article has the Steelers above us just because they lost Kordell Stewart. The Steelers also lost a pretty good tackle in Wayne Gandy. Their offseason wasn't good. They have the Jaguars as winners for drafting Leftwich? Excuse me, but signing Hugh Douglas was pretty good, that is why they are winners. They also have the Bills as bigger losers than the Jets? The Bills signed a very good LB in Takeo Spikes, but of course that gets no mention. I could rip that article for days because it is so stupid.

His disclaimer said it had nothing to do with the D, ice. Just O.

dolphan39
07-10-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

you missed this part "(Disclaimer: Defensive upgrades or downgrades were not considered in determining the offseason winners and losers. I repeat: This article has nothing to do with DEFENSE.)"

M-REAL
07-10-2003, 12:53 PM
I LOVE what they said about the Buffalo buttheads, that was great but true stuff! Seeing the Fins enemies getting bashed for what it really is was energizing to say the least. Props 39 for the article.:cool:

MarinoFan
07-10-2003, 12:56 PM
DUH, as far as offense goes, we didn't do anything. Had they said omit offense, and only include defense, we would be in the top two.

Justasportsfan
07-10-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by marcusreal
I LOVE what they said about the Buffalo buttheads, that was great but true stuff! Seeing the Fins enemies getting bashed for what it really is was energizing to say the least. Props 39 for the article.:cool:

Of course you'd love to read an article bashing the bills after we swept you last year. The article was pure opinion, the sweep is fact!

nyjetsfan7419
07-10-2003, 01:00 PM
winners:JETS getting DEEEWAYNE TRAIN
losers:miami wasting money on old man sr seau, and tilt the bottle griese(looks like he'll help tear down his fathers legacy), on the plus side bars in miami will do a hundred times more business
winners:JETS FOR JUST BEING THE JETS AND REPEATING AS AFC EAST CHAMPS

MarinoFan
07-10-2003, 01:02 PM
You always must chime in with something huh. Dude, we all love it when they talk bad about any of our rivals. Geez, soon your posts are going to look like

"sweep sweep sweep , sweep sweep sweep sweep , sweep sweep !!"

Can't you add anything worth while?

CRAZYDOLFAN305
07-10-2003, 01:15 PM
Well while we are bringing facts from the past, how about us sweeping you guys the previous two years in a row. I keep saying there's no more of Mucas. So the more dhit you guys talk the worst it's going to be in here after Sept. 21..

t2thejz
07-10-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by nyjetsfan7419
losers:miami wasting money on old man sr seau, and tilt the bottle griese(looks like he'll help tear down his fathers legacy), on the plus side bars in miami will do a hundred times more business
winners:JETS FOR JUST BEING THE JETS AND REPEATING AS AFC EAST CHAMPS :lol: :lol: Yea you guys had a great offseason :shakeno:

holy crap
07-10-2003, 01:20 PM
It was a stupid article IMO. I wish Buffalo and NE had as bad an offseason as this know nothing says they did. As a big Cane fan I still think McGahee is gonna be a great RB in this league. I hope the Bills trade him next year for a #1 that turns out to be a bust. I don't wanna see him on the Bills for years to come.

PhinPhan1227
07-10-2003, 01:27 PM
winners:JETS FOR JUST BEING THE JETS AND REPEATING AS AFC EAST CHAMPS

Care to look back at the last time anyone in the AFCEast was able to repeat as Division Champs? You may have to take your shoes off to count that far back.

MarinoFan
07-10-2003, 01:27 PM
winners:JETS FOR JUST BEING THE JETS AND REPEATING AS AFC EAST CHAMPS :roflmao:

This guy is great. Funniest bunch of gibberish I've read al week. Don't worry, the Washington Jets are gonna do just fine. :lol:

MarinoFan
07-10-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Care to look back at the last time anyone in the AFCEast was able to repeat as Division Champs? You may have to take your shoes off to count that far back.

Never mind they backed into it, and it was us, and the rest of the division who handed it to them. Jets fans have no clue yet. Reality is close, and has a real hard backhanded slap.

Justasportsfan
07-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by MarinoFan
You always must chime in with something huh. Dude, we all love it when they talk bad about any of our rivals. Geez, soon your posts are going to look like

"sweep sweep sweep , sweep sweep sweep sweep , sweep sweep !!"

Can't you add anything worth while?

Let's see what you know about our wr's .What is the difference between Price and Reed in terms of ability? Don't mean to turn this into a bills thread. Just wanted to see what MFAN knows. What would you say is the reason for Price's departure a step back.

Prime Time
07-10-2003, 01:33 PM
How are we in top 10 because according to them we got Griese for Lucas, and we still do not have a number 2 receiver...but yet we are in 10th out of 32...

dolphan39
07-10-2003, 01:38 PM

Let's see what you know about our wr's .What is the difference between Price and Reed in terms of ability? Don't mean to turn this into a bills thread. Just wanted to see what MFAN knows. What would you say is the reason for Price's departure a step back. for 1 - even if Reed replaces Price admirably, will your next 3rd WR (?) be any good ? just a thought

Justasportsfan
07-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Just to prove this guy is a yahoo, Price was not a probowler. He's never been.

dolphan39
07-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Prime Time
How are we in top 10 because according to them we got Griese for Lucas, and we still do not have a number 2 receiver...but yet we are in 10th out of 32... they were only 10 winners as opposed to 5 losers IHO and we were only "quasi-winners" ;)

MOULDSROCKS
07-10-2003, 08:36 PM
"Trading a young Pro-Bowl receiver"

Who was that?

-We traded Price for extra Cap Room to sign Spikes, Posey, and Adams
-Josh Reed is good
-We still have our big 3

and about Lindell:
-Last year he had a better FG % than Hollis
-He is perfect in teh 4th QTR and OT
-His kickoffs are longer

The dude who wrote this article is a dumbass. Even the most biased phin-fans know we have improved.

MOULDSROCKS
07-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by dolphan39
for 1 - even if Reed replaces Price admirably, will your next 3rd WR (?) be any good ? just a thought

Yes, very. His name is Brian Shaw and he started for Jacksonville last year and his career numbers are better than Prices and he isn't a locker room cancer. Who is your #3?

Oh, it's TBD.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

We also have a kid named Sam Aiken who you guys better watch out for in the future. The kid is a raw talent who, with some grooming, could become an Eric Moulds type WR and he plays with a chip on his shoulder which I like. He has the word "sleeper" tattood on his stomach. That tells you about his attitude and desire to win and prove everyone wrong who passed him up in the draft. He doesn't have great straight line speed, but he has terrific hands and control, runs crisp routes, has an excellent vertical jump and loves to fight for the ball in traffic and for extra yardage.

SoCalRaider
07-10-2003, 09:14 PM
"(Disclaimer: Defensive upgrades or downgrades were not considered in determining the offseason winners and losers. I repeat: This article has nothing to do with DEFENSE.)"

That's laughable considering the #1 defense in the NFL has laid claim to 2 of the last 3 Super Bowls.

... Maybe tomorrow this fruitcake can do one just for special teams...

MOULDSROCKS
07-10-2003, 09:35 PM
:lol:

zach13
07-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS

Yes, very. His name is Brian Shaw and he started for Jacksonville last year and his career numbers are better than Prices and he isn't a locker room cancer.

Sorry, no, not even close to being true.

They have both played for 4 seasons. Here are their stats:

Price - 232 catches for 3,302 yards and 22 TDS
Shaw - 136 catches for 1,993 yards and 10 TDS

And last season was dramatically different

Price - 94 for 1252 with 9 TD
Shaw - 44 for 525 with 1 TD

Also, his name is BOBBY Shaw

MOULDSROCKS
07-11-2003, 05:22 PM
"doh"

I meant when you include return-yards... :D :lol: ;)

baalworship
07-12-2003, 09:51 AM
Bobby Shaw will be fine as a THIRD WR. I wouldn't want him as the 2nd guy. But as a third he'll do what Reed did last year and get 400-500 yards. Josh Reed will put up 75 catches for 1000 yards or so opposite Moulds. Did we really need to spend 6 MILLION A YEAR ON a 2nd WR for an extra 200 yards? Tom Donahoe's assessment was NO WAY! The fact is that we couldn't afford to pay a 2nd WR 6 million a year with that much already invested in Moulds. In the age of the salary cap, you have to draft cheap talented replacements. That's why getting Josh Reed was such a great move in the draft.

Conversely we can afford Travis Henry and McGahee at the same time. Henry is making peanuts and McGahee was picked 23rd, not top 5.

zach13
07-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by baalworship
Josh Reed will put up 75 catches for 1000 yards or so opposite Moulds.

Really?

I have some doubts about those projections.

Last year Reed started out like a house on fire with 11 catches for 143 yards and 1 td in his first two games...

....and then he disappeared

For the rest of the season he averaged 1.8 catch per game for 26 yards and failed to reach the end zone after week three despite playing in every game.

This WR is far from a proven commodity

baalworship
07-12-2003, 12:20 PM
It's hard to make an argument about a player who wasn't starting. How can you say tailed off? From a game where he was used a lot in Minny? If he STARTED last year you could make arguments about how well he did in the beginning vs. the end. But a third WR is like a 2nd TE, who knows when they're going to be in the game?

Josh Reed has all the tools you need to play WR. Great hands, runs great routes, gets separation, and has nice moves to get YAC. Also is very smart and crafty. A natural. With Moulds and Henry drawing away attention 75 catches for 1000 yards is quite realistic. If he gets what Chambers got last year, I will call his 2003 year a disappointment. Considering Reed did 1740 yards in his last year with LSU in the SEC, I am quite confident he can get 1000 yards with the Bills as a #2.

MOULDSROCKS
07-12-2003, 02:03 PM
He was Gilbride's pet last year.... lol Seriously, KG loves this kid!

One reason I am very confident in him is that he had a better training camp and pre-season than Price did.... this tells me he has the talent and tools to succeed!

nyjetsfan7419
07-13-2003, 07:51 PM
love all these post about what was done in the offseason this, off season that, washington jets blah blah blah, skins are making the same mistake they made last year trying to buy a team, just like the finz girls, oh we bought old man seau , oh we bought a drunk to throw the ball, instead of making plays on the field, except for that one time you all were down a zillion points in the 4th quarter to beat us.....oh my bad that was us, making plays in cold weather ya should try it.

Justasportsfan
07-15-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by zachseau13

Really?

I have some doubts about those projections.

Last year Reed started out like a house on fire with 11 catches for 143 yards and 1 td in his first two games...

....and then he disappeared

For the rest of the season he averaged 1.8 catch per game for 26 yards and failed to reach the end zone after week three despite playing in every game.

This WR is far from a proven commodity

Let's see, 143 yds + 26 yds amkes a total of 169 yards for the season.

ZachSally have you been pulling your nos. out of your A$$ again or have your been reading ESPN.

He had a total of over 500 yards receiving for the season. Check your sources will ya! You haven't been watching bills games like we have so don't act like you know the bills in and out :D

zach13
07-15-2003, 09:42 AM

Let's see, 143 yds + 26 yds amkes a total of 169 yards for the season.

ZachSally have you been pulling your nos. out of your A$$ again or have your been reading ESPN.

He had a total of over 500 yards receiving for the season. Check your sources will ya! You haven't been watching bills games like we have so don't act like you know the bills in and out :D

This is even dumber than your last post.

This is what I said

"For the rest of the season he averaged 1.8 catch per game for 26 yards"

The key words being "per game" and "averaged"

To an educated person that would mean that for weeks 3-16 he averaged 1.8 catches for 26 yards per game.

This would equate to - 14*26 = 364

If you add that to his 1st two game total you will find yourself with over 500 yards for the season.

:goof: :goof:

You can't be that dumb, please tell me you are not that dumb.:eek:

Justasportsfan
07-15-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by zachseau13

This is even dumber than your last post.

This is what I said

"For the rest of the season he averaged 1.8 catch per game for 26 yards"

The key words being "per game" and "averaged"

To an educated person that would mean that for weeks 3-16 he averaged 1.8 catches for 26 yards per game.

This would equate to - 14*26 = 364

If you add that to his 1st two game total you will find yourself with over 500 yards for the season.

:goof: :goof:

You can't be that dumb, please tell me you are not that dumb.:eek:

Apparently you can't tell when you are beinng played. :lol:

Sucka!

MOULDSROCKS
07-15-2003, 09:30 PM
:lol:

I love making him do all that work for us....

Big Will
07-17-2003, 04:00 PM
It lists Miami under winners, but look at what it says...

"10. Miami Dolphins: The Dolphins were quasi-winners during the offseason. Certainly, the free agent trade of Ray Lucas for Brian Griese improved and insured the offense. That said, they did nothing to upgrade an average offensive line, Chris Chambers continues to battle injuries, and they still lack a No. 2 receiver."

No mention of Seau or Knight. And since when has Chambers been battling injuries?? Did I miss something?

Looks like the rest of the world still needs proof that the Dolphins are for real....

EDIT: Heres the link

Article (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanball-afcnotesoffseasonwin&prov=fanball&type=fantasy)

Big Will
07-17-2003, 04:02 PM
Haha, I just noticed. The Bills and Jets (according to these people) had the 2 worst offseasons in the AFC.

:goof: :goof: :goof:

CirclingWagons
07-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Big Will
Haha, I just noticed. The Bills and Jets (according to these people) had the 2 worst offseasons in the AFC.

:goof: :goof: :goof:

yeah, shows what they know...if its on yahoo it must be right!:lol:

Justasportsfan
07-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Yo Wittle Willy, that's old news and soon to be moved to smack.

Big Will
07-17-2003, 04:15 PM
How is this smack?

njfinfan
07-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Unbelievable. I also don't recall Chambers battling injury. He played brilliantly last season - (that one handed touchdown catch). I do believe we need depth at receivers. Everyone hates Miami. I think it's an enigma.

Prime Time
07-17-2003, 04:32 PM
But who in the world wouldn't get injured after the illegal shot to the head?

VanDolPhan
07-17-2003, 04:33 PM
Chambers has battled hamstring injuries quite a bit. Although the #2 WR issue isn't settled yet. It remains to be seen if McKnight or Thompson handle that role. Get 700+ yards out of a #2 WR in Miami's ball control offense and I'd say it's solved.

Gonk
07-17-2003, 04:34 PM
We're lacking a #2 reciever? We have three guys on the team that are worthy of the #2 spot.

VanDolPhan
07-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Gonk
We're lacking a #2 reciever? We have three guys on the team that are worthy of the #2 spot.

2 in Thompson, McKnight......but they both have to reprove that.

O.G isn't anything more then a #3 WR and proved that the last 2 seasons.

JeffJewell
07-17-2003, 04:54 PM
No mention of Seau or Knight.

From the article:
(Disclaimer: Defensive upgrades or downgrades were not considered in determining the offseason winners and losers. I repeat: This article has nothing to do with DEFENSE.)

CirclingWagons
07-17-2003, 05:33 PM
Mcknight is as useless as tits on a whore

zach13
07-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by CirclingWagons
Mcknight is as useless as tits on a whore

1st - this is smack, this should be in the smack forum.

2nd - you have the saying wrong, why would tits on a whore be useless?

njfinfan
07-21-2003, 12:21 PM
The expression is "useless as tits on a bull."

Go Dolphins!