PDA

View Full Version : Daunte's cap implications if cut or traded

Transcendental
04-17-2007, 01:58 PM
Before June 1 cut or traded 5.6 cap # in 2007 no future implication
After june 1, cut or traded 1.4 cap # in 2007 and 4.2 cap # in 2008.

Miami Dolphins Salary Cap (http://www.finheaven.com/seasonal/miami-dolphins-salary-cap-2007.php)

Transcendental
04-17-2007, 02:23 PM
BTW, Chris Chambers' cap number in 2007 is sickening.

shaunm000
04-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I dont really understand how this works. If we cut him, do we still owe him the money on his contract? When a player is under contract, how can we just cut them?

Transcendental
04-17-2007, 02:31 PM
I dont really understand how this works. If we cut him, do we still owe him the money on his contract? When a player is under contract, how can we just cut them?

He was paid a ton of money upfront when he redid his deal when we aquired him.

If he gets cut before June 1st, we're responsible for his base salary and then nothing in 2008. If we wait til after June 1st, he's still on the books for 2008 at cap number of 4.2 million.

June 1st is a key date for making cuts as well as anytime a player is due a bonus (i.e. roster bonus).

shaunm000
04-17-2007, 02:48 PM
cool, thanks a bunch!

Kendall
04-17-2007, 02:53 PM
Just currious you, mentioned the cap hit that we would take (ie. dead money) but you didnt mention the savings? How much room under the cap would we save in both scenarios? Do you know?

Transcendental
04-17-2007, 02:55 PM
Just currious you, mentioned the cap hit that we would take (ie. dead money) but you didnt mention the savings? How much room under the cap would we save in both scenarios? Do you know?

We'd save somewhere between 1.3 and 1.5 million this season if he's cut before June 1st. If it's after June 1st, I believe the savings would be 940k.

Kendall
04-17-2007, 02:56 PM
If they are going to cut him or trade him I think it will be before June 1st because I don't think they really want the cap space this year as much as they do next year. I think they have pretty much signed everyone they want this year and they even have a little left in case someone comes available after June. Of course that could change depending on how much they agreed upon with Green. Anybody know what that number is? I heard from someone on another board that it was close to league minimum?

miamiron
04-17-2007, 03:03 PM
What does Chambers numbers look like??
I'm sure I wont like what you will show me but please go ahead

Thanks

Transcendental
04-17-2007, 03:07 PM
What does Chambers numbers look like??
I'm sure I wont like what you will show me but please go ahead

Thanks

According to the chart, his cap charge in 2007 is 7.317 million :censored: ....... he's the 3rd highest paid player on the roster.

Kendall
04-17-2007, 03:11 PM
No doubt this is an important year for Chambers, he is going to have to either perform like he did in 05 or he will probably go the way of McMichael.

Transcendental
04-17-2007, 03:16 PM
If they are going to cut him or trade him I think it will be before June 1st because I don't think they really want the cap space this year as much as they do next year. I think they have pretty much signed everyone they want this year and they even have a little left in case someone comes available after June. Of course that could change depending on how much they agreed upon with Green. Anybody know what that number is? I heard from someone on another board that it was close to league minimum?

It's pretty much been indicated that it will be a performance-based contract so the cap charge initially should be pretty low.

Transcendental
04-17-2007, 03:16 PM
No doubt this is an important year for Chambers, he is going to have to either perform like he did in 05 or he will probably go the way of McMichael.

I am in full agreement.

Merman
04-17-2007, 04:20 PM

If you look at the chart scroll to the right to see Net Savings for both on or before 6/01 and after 6/01. The media never gives the net amount, which is the savings less the next highest salary that would take its place as the 51 highest salaries.

In other words if Culpepper is cut the next highest salary is added to Team Salary to have the top 51 salaries. Right now that salary is $360k.

$940 + $360=$1.3 million savings, which is what the media has been reporting.

Transcendental
04-17-2007, 09:31 PM
If you look at the chart scroll to the right to see Net Savings for both on or before 6/01 and after 6/01. The media never gives the net amount, which is the savings less the next highest salary that would take its place as the 51 highest salaries.

In other words if Culpepper is cut the next highest salary is added to Team Salary to have the top 51 salaries. Right now that salary is $360k.

$940 + $360=$1.3 million savings, which is what the media has been reporting.

Great job on that spreadsheet!

Merman
04-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Great job on that spreadsheet!

Thanks, I hope you fine it useful.

hof13
04-17-2007, 10:03 PM
He was paid a ton of money upfront when he redid his deal when we aquired him.

Correct.

If he gets cut before June 1st, we're responsible for his base salary and then nothing in 2008. If we wait til after June 1st, he's still on the books for 2008 at cap number of 4.2 million.

Incorrect. We're not responsible for his base salary.

June 1st is a key date for making cuts as well as anytime a player is due a bonus (i.e. roster bonus).

June 1 is not as important as it used to be, especially since each team can use two exemptions to treat a Pre-June 2 release as a Post-June 1 transaction.

We'd save somewhere between 1.3 and 1.5 million this season if he's cut before June 1st. If it's after June 1st, I believe the savings would be 940k.

Incorrect. The question was "Just currious you, mentioned the cap hit that we would take (ie. dead money) but you didnt mention the savings?" The savings is the base salary - $5.5M - regardless of when he's released/traded.

This years portion of the bonus is already counted into the cap, so there's no way to save it - so that $1.4M is sunk cost.

The remaining $4.2M is either accelerated into the 2007 cap or hits the 2008 cap - depending on when he's released/traded and whether or not an exemption is used on a pre-June 2 action.

So, you have $5.5M - $4.2M = $1.3M savings on a Pre-June 2 cut, or $5.5M savings with a $4.2M 2008 cap hit.

Either way, you save $5.5M with $5.6M of dead money.

Merman
04-17-2007, 10:26 PM
June 1 is not as important as it used to be, especially since each team can use two exemptions to treat a Pre-June 2 release as a Post-June 1 transaction.

June 1st isn't as important for two reasons. Teams are handling the cap better and the large increase in the Salary Cap.

Now teams can take care of more (read Dead Money) mistakes in the year the decision is made.

hof13
04-18-2007, 06:10 AM
June 1st isn't as important for two reasons. Teams are handling the cap better and the large increase in the Salary Cap.

Now teams can take care of more (read Dead Money) mistakes in the year the decision is made.

Good point, Merman.

Phinsome
07-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Well, he's gone.

Why did we pay him so much?

4.2 million in 2008 ain't helping us rebuild.