PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is "must-see TV"!



Pagan
07-10-2003, 04:43 PM
I can't wait to see this...then again I have a twisted sense of humor...

Banzai (http://nypost.com/tv/199.htm)

Muck
07-10-2003, 04:57 PM
Every night when FOX promotes this show, they play "Turning Japanese" Does FOX know what that song is really about?? Probably. :tongue:

I'll catch this show.

Prime Time
07-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Muck, what is the song really about?

zonk39
07-10-2003, 05:30 PM
I thought it was about Getting High.

Muck
07-10-2003, 07:48 PM
It's about "irkin'". :D

Think "facial expressions".

iceblizzard69
07-10-2003, 08:15 PM
Banzai looks great. I'm considering getting a group together for it so we can bet on it.

Den54
07-10-2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Muck
It's about "irkin'". :D

Think "facial expressions".

Its about pinchin a loaf?

WeVie
07-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Please clue me in also. What is the song about?

P4E
07-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Muck
Every night when FOX promotes this show, they play "Turning Japanese" Does FOX know what that song is really about?? Probably. :tongue:

I'll catch this show.

I'm embarrassed to say i actually saw that "Turning Japanese" band (The Vapors). I was in your stomping grounds, Muck -- The Agora Ballroom in Tampa around 1980, I guess.

How much of a one-hit wonder was that band? Well.... they played Turning Japanese three friggin times.:|

Least I didn't have to pay to get in. lol

genx23
07-11-2003, 09:40 AM
They had that show on up here in Toronto a couple of years ago...at first it was funny but the joke wears off pretty quickly.

Don't know if Fox is just re-airing the original or if they're totally re-doing it or maybe just mixing in some of their own bits with the original?

Clumpy
07-11-2003, 10:00 AM
I believe the song is about "choking the chicken"

Muck
07-11-2003, 12:37 PM
Correct!!

Muck
07-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Phan4Ever
I'm embarrassed to say i actually saw that "Turning Japanese" band (The Vapors). I was in your stomping grounds, Muck -- The Agora Ballroom in Tampa around 1980, I guess.

How much of a one-hit wonder was that band? Well.... they played Turning Japanese three friggin times.:|

Least I didn't have to pay to get in. lol

:rofl: Good God!! That's pathetic!! I guess they knew just how much borrowed time they were on. :lol:

Agora Ballroom?? Jeez, all that Turning Japanese must have stuck to the walls. They must have torn that place down. Nothing like that here now. Was it in Ybor??

That reminds me of this "DJ" that worked Friday nights at a Tiki Bar I used to go to. How sucky was he?? He played "Back Dat Azz Up" CONSTANTLY (this is when the song was popular). At the end of the night, he'd be like, "Ok, we're gonna Back Dat Azz Up one more time!!!". And everyone is like, "Oh ok :rolleyes:". Got to be the running joke among friends.

But still, your story almost made me choke on my chicken salad. That was damn funny.

Heh, I said "choke on my....". [/Butthead]

P4E
07-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Muck


:rofl: Good God!! That's pathetic!! I guess they knew just how much borrowed time they were on. :lol:

Agora Ballroom?? Jeez, all that Turning Japanese must have stuck to the walls. They must have torn that place down. Nothing like that here now. Was it in Ybor??

[/Butthead]

The Agora was a nice try while it lasted. It was part of an effort by the owners of an Ohio club of similar name to expand the franchise. They staked-out in Tampa in a non-descript, lousy location on a sidestreet between N. Florida Ave and I-275, kinda near Sligh Ave if I recall. For a few years around '79 to '82 they actually had real bands there; I remember seeing Joey and the rest of the Ramones there. They were really...loud. lol And, yes, they were their inimitable selves.:)

The club was already struggling before I headed out of Tampa in 1982. Your Ybor City reference was dead on, though. Had they opened the club there, they'd still be around. :)

Muck
07-13-2003, 08:41 PM
N. Florida and I-275. Heh, they could have done MUCH better. I can see why that place folded. :)

Muck
07-13-2003, 08:42 PM
Ok, this show is 10 minutes old. And I've already seen enough. This show SUCKS!!

Pagan
07-14-2003, 07:06 AM
Another example of hype being way more than the product can deliever, huh Muck?

Although the segment with "Lady One Question" was good, if only to see Simon from "American Idol" feeling uncomfortable. :lol:

iceblizzard69
07-14-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Pagan

Although the segment with "Lady One Question" was good, if only to see Simon from "American Idol" feeling uncomfortable. :lol:

That was the funniest part of the show. The show wasn't that bad overall.