PDA

View Full Version : Coaches job security. AFC



jaketaylor
07-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Where the coaches rank as far as job security. This is just my ranking by division on which coaches are facing a win or be fired year.
Ratings are 1-5.
1- As secure as it gets
2- No real worries
3- Owner: “Did we pick the right guy”?
4- The playoffs might- just might- save your job
5- Break out the resume
Lets start in the AFC

AFC East
Bill Belichick (NE)- Following a Super Bowl win with a near miss on the division crown and a playoff spot in this tough division, Belichick is entrenched for the near future considering the Pats owner is devoted to his program and he is a defensive genius. Rating- 1

Gregg Williams (BUF)- This is the year that the Bills will have to break into the playoffs or its a big Sombrero and Adios for Williams. With a top caliber QB in Bledsoe and strong additions to the Defense, the honeymoon period has officially ended. Rating-3.5

Dave Wannstedt (MIA)- Every year has been a drop off in the all important win column while the talent level of the team has gotten better. That means that the finger only gets to point one way. While the sting of last seasons dissapointment can be forgiven with a trophy, this is Wannstedts last real shot to win over the growing number of fans who doubt he is the guy to guide the ship. Rating-3.5

Herman Edwards (NYJ)- The phrase “Miracle In The Meadowlands” could be applied to the job that Edwards has done with the Jets. Capturing the crown in the toughest division in football and stomping the Colts worse than a narc at a bikers rally (41-0) gave this coach all of the backing that he needs for a while. The front office however, could hamstring his chances..... Rating-1

AFC North
Bill Cowher (PIT)- Cowhers former pick at QB is gone, The blame now goes squarely on him. Even with the most loyal owner to coaches in the NFL, any more home losses in the playoffs and changes will be made. Is Cowher the last one that believes in his system? Rating-3.5

Brian Billick (BAL)- After surviving salary cap hell which dismantled one of the best defenses in memory, Billick faces the road back to the top. Often hated by the media, he is loved by Modell and in no real danger. (Until the team is sold anyway). Rating-1

Butch Davis (CLEV)- The divisions most beloved coach. The players will check the egos with this guy, or else (Hint Tim Couch). Coming from The University of Miami (A team that resembled a pro team), Davis put the finishing touches on making the reinvented Browns a winner again. Rating- 1

Marvin Lewis (CIN)- Gooooood Luck Mr. Lewis, your gonna need it. Worst owner in the history of the league makes anyones time coaching this team like rolling around in a field of shards of glass. New coaches automatically get a pass (Unless they work in Washington for Danny Snyder) Rating-1

AFC South
Jeff Fisher (TEN)- Was called out by the owner after a sluggish start last season. This may be the first real crack in the wall of security for Fisher. Hard to imagine that he will be booted this season, but you never really know (Ask Mariucci). Rating-2.5

Tony Dungy (IND)- 41-0??? The Honeymoon ends with a beating worthy of a Domestic Violence call. Dungy is a classy guy who can build a team into a winner, but can he keep a mouthy kicker in line? Rating-2.5

Jack Del Rio (JAX)- In a position to just coach. Ahhhhh..... His first gig should be trial by fire after following Coughlin. Faces the transition of QBs, probably sooner than later. Built his coaching reputation in Carolina. Rating-1

Dom Capers (HOU)- Building teams is what Capers knows and is surrounded by a good staff. Has two more seasons before having to buy fire resistant pants. Rating-1

AFC West
Bill Callahan (OAK)- Well, Chuckie killed alot of people if I remember right. Despite some speculation that Callahan will go when his wave of older players retire, I give him a few more years, IF he returns to the Super Bowl this season. Remember, this is Als team. Rating-2

Mike Shannahan (DEN)- Has to prove that he can win without Elway and Davis. That is a broken record that has been repeated around the league. The genius label is fading and Shannahan has hitched the wagons to Jake Plummer. Rating-3

Dick Vermeil (KC)- This situation is probably the shakiest in the division. If the third year plan doesnt work this time, will Dick bail before he could be replaced? The security really seems genuine. Rating-2

Marty Schottenheimer (SD)- Lead the Bolts to .500 in his first year in charge. A proven winner everywhere he has coached. Just has to make the playoffs. Rating-1.5

Prime Time
07-10-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by jaketaylor
Where the coaches rank as far as job security. This is just my ranking by division on which coaches are facing a win or be fired year.
Ratings are 1-5.
1- As secure as it gets
2- No real worries
3- Owner: “Did we pick the right guy”?
4- The playoffs might- just might- save your job
5- Break out the resume
Lets start in the AFC

AFC East
Bill Belichick (NE)- Following a Super Bowl win with a near miss on the division crown and a playoff spot in this tough division, Belichick is entrenched for the near future considering the Pats owner is devoted to his program and he is a defensive genius. Rating- 1

Gregg Williams (BUF)- This is the year that the Bills will have to break into the playoffs or its a big Sombrero and Adios for Williams. With a top caliber QB in Bledsoe and strong additions to the Defense, the honeymoon period has officially ended. Rating-3.5

Dave Wannstedt (MIA)- Every year has been a drop off in the all important win column while the talent level of the team has gotten better. That means that the finger only gets to point one way. While the sting of last seasons dissapointment can be forgiven with a trophy, this is Wannstedts last real shot to win over the growing number of fans who doubt he is the guy to guide the ship. Rating-3.5

Herman Edwards (NYJ)- The phrase “Miracle In The Meadowlands” could be applied to the job that Edwards has done with the Jets. Capturing the crown in the toughest division in football and stomping the Colts worse than a narc at a bikers rally (41-0) gave this coach all of the backing that he needs for a while. The front office however, could hamstring his chances..... Rating-1

AFC North
Bill Cowher (PIT)- Cowhers former pick at QB is gone, The blame now goes squarely on him. Even with the most loyal owner to coaches in the NFL, any more home losses in the playoffs and changes will be made. Is Cowher the last one that believes in his system? Rating-3.5

Brian Billick (BAL)- After surviving salary cap hell which dismantled one of the best defenses in memory, Billick faces the road back to the top. Often hated by the media, he is loved by Modell and in no real danger. (Until the team is sold anyway). Rating-1

Butch Davis (CLEV)- The divisions most beloved coach. The players will check the egos with this guy, or else (Hint Tim Couch). Coming from The University of Miami (A team that resembled a pro team), Davis put the finishing touches on making the reinvented Browns a winner again. Rating- 1

Marvin Lewis (CIN)- Gooooood Luck Mr. Lewis, your gonna need it. Worst owner in the history of the league makes anyones time coaching this team like rolling around in a field of shards of glass. New coaches automatically get a pass (Unless they work in Washington for Danny Snyder) Rating-1

AFC South
Jeff Fisher (TEN)- Was called out by the owner after a sluggish start last season. This may be the first real crack in the wall of security for Fisher. Hard to imagine that he will be booted this season, but you never really know (Ask Mariucci). Rating-2.5

Tony Dungy (IND)- 41-0??? The Honeymoon ends with a beating worthy of a Domestic Violence call. Dungy is a classy guy who can build a team into a winner, but can he keep a mouthy kicker in line? Rating-2.5

Jack Del Rio (JAX)- In a position to just coach. Ahhhhh..... His first gig should be trial by fire after following Coughlin. Faces the transition of QBs, probably sooner than later. Built his coaching reputation in Carolina. Rating-1

Dom Capers (HOU)- Building teams is what Capers knows and is surrounded by a good staff. Has two more seasons before having to buy fire resistant pants. Rating-1

AFC West
Bill Callahan (OAK)- Well, Chuckie killed alot of people if I remember right. Despite some speculation that Callahan will go when his wave of older players retire, I give him a few more years, IF he returns to the Super Bowl this season. Remember, this is Als team. Rating-2

Mike Shannahan (DEN)- Has to prove that he can win without Elway and Davis. That is a broken record that has been repeated around the league. The genius label is fading and Shannahan has hitched the wagons to Jake Plummer. Rating-3

Dick Vermeil (KC)- This situation is probably the shakiest in the division. If the third year plan doesnt work this time, will Dick bail before he could be replaced? The security really seems genuine. Rating-2

Marty Schottenheimer (SD)- Lead the Bolts to .500 in his first year in charge. A proven winner everywhere he has coached. Just has to make the playoffs. Rating-1.5

First 2 years Wannstedt was here we both went 11-5.

Prime Time
07-10-2003, 05:17 PM
Oh okay but we dropped off in playoffs. Got it. Good post BTW.

DolphinzD
07-10-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Prime Time


First 2 years Wannstedt was here we both went 11-5.

But we won a play-off game the first year, so we had one more win.

IceStorm
07-10-2003, 05:37 PM
I see a lot of "1" gradings where I would be pushing a 2 IMO. But I tend to agree with the majority. I think Dave should be a 4. This is his last chance to make the Dolphins a winner. If he fails, whether via injuries or not, I don't see Wayne H. patting him on the back other then to shove him out the proverbial door.

holy crap
07-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Thats an old list from the end of last year. Fisher is listed as a 2.5 and he just got a big extension

Disgustipate
07-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Lol, anyone remember this time last season ESPN listed Wanny as one of the coaches with the best job security?

I would give Wannstadt much higher. I think he needs to be fired if we're anywhere less then playing in the AFC Championship game.

iceblizzard69
07-10-2003, 08:20 PM
Dave is definitely a 4 if not a 4.5

MOULDSROCKS
07-10-2003, 09:02 PM
Gregg is gone if we miss the playoffs

Prime Time
07-10-2003, 10:34 PM
I disagree Moulds. I think he is staying for at least another year.

Disgustipate
07-10-2003, 11:03 PM
Maybe Bills fans are delusioned into thinking their team can afford to have that high standards. Dont kid yourself, the team has a chance of making the playoff, but it should by no means be a given.

No one is really going to be that shocked if the Bills dont make a splash.

iceblizzard69
07-10-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
Gregg is gone if we miss the playoffs

I guess you guys will be looking for a coach soon....

finfan54
07-11-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Prime Time
I disagree Moulds. I think he is staying for at least another year.

oh please gregg stay another year!

M-REAL
07-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Good post man! I really think Belichick is overrated as a coach though. The guy IMO is not really a football genius like some people have said. The SB win was bull-s**t. I do believe though that he has a stable job. Wan, if he doesn't take the Fins to the playoffs this year, IMO he is finished as head coach with them. Wayne can only take so much.

RUDEbyallMEANS
07-11-2003, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by marcusreal
Good post man! I really think Belichick is overrated as a coach though. The guy IMO is not really a football genius like some people have said. The SB win was bull-s**t. I do believe though that he has a stable job. Wan, if he doesn't take the Fins to the playoffs this year, IMO he is finished as head coach with them. Wayne can only take so much.

Show respect where respect is due.. Bellicheck absolutely humiliated Mike Martz for 3 quarters in that Super Bowl.. Bellicheck knew what it was going to take to beat the Rams on defense and had his defense ready to do what he expected them to do.. If you noticed when the Pats played the Rams in the regular season, they weren't as aggressive on defense and Bellicheck noticed that.. I totally disagree with your assessment of Bellicheck.. The talent on that defense was very dismal.. Could you imaginge if Bellicheck was the head coach for Miami?? With all the talent on defense?? It would be absolutely intimidating for any opponent.. Bellicheck would be my 2nd choice if I could choose any coach to coach this team, behind Gruden of course.... As for Wanny being fired if Miami doesn't make the playoffs, thats a given.. The AFC Champ game, or he is out..

HURRAH:drinker:

Sherif
07-11-2003, 02:59 PM
Greuden had the Defense take on the offense last year and he made it personal within the team. He's really able to get his players to perform and compete to the best of their ability. Wanny doesn't seem to be able to get that out of his players.

dolfan4good
07-11-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Sherif
Greuden had the Defense take on the offense last year and he made it personal within the team. He's really able to get his players to perform and compete to the best of their ability. Wanny doesn't seem to be able to get that out of his players.

So basically, you are saying that Wanny is another Dungy. Wins a lot of games but can't get the team over the hump.

RUDEbyallMEANS
07-11-2003, 03:16 PM
Wannstedt doesn't challenge his players... Thats the problem.. All he does is encourage them and is by their side all the time.. The players need fires lit up inside and Wannstedt should be the one starting the fires by making comments like "JT lets see you make 3 sacks in a game again.. I think it was a fluke".. Or something to that effect.. He should be doing it to every player.. Even Ricky, tease him about his fumbling habits and stuff like that.. These are football players.. Their feelings wont get hurt.. They'll just play harder the very next Sunday.. Thats the way to do it.. Wannstedt in my opinion just doesnt want to be the bad guy and doesnt want anyone to be mad at him on the team.. So called "The Nice Guy".. Time for the Fires to be lit..

HURRAH:drinker:

inFINSible
07-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
Wannstedt doesn't challenge his players... Thats the problem.. All he does is encourage them and is by their side all the time.. The players need fires lit up inside and Wannstedt should be the one starting the fires by making comments like "JT lets see you make 3 sacks in a game again.. I think it was a fluke".. Or something to that effect.. He should be doing it to every player.. Even Ricky, tease him about his fumbling habits and stuff like that.. These are football players.. Their feelings wont get hurt.. They'll just play harder the very next Sunday.. Thats the way to do it.. Wannstedt in my opinion just doesnt want to be the bad guy and doesnt want anyone to be mad at him on the team.. So called "The Nice Guy".. Time for the Fires to be lit..

HURRAH:drinker:

Great point and I agree but, in a different way I guess....What you said is a good idea but, you can't motivate everyone the same way. I agree that he needs to work on his motivational skillz but, he needs to be more like a Parcells or a JJ and figure out what makes each player tick.....some of them you can joke with and get them to play better, some of them you may have to threaten to get them to play better, and some of them may be more responsive to praise. It's just a matter of connecting with each guy on some level to get the most out of them. It's not an easy thing to do obviously, since history is littered with coaches who had talent and couldn't get it done. I think it's definately Dave's weakest point and you are right again, I think he just wants to be the "nice guy" all the time. I hope that Wayne's little motivational speech that he gave Wanny lit just enough of a fire under his a$$ to make him try anything this year even if it is out of character.

RUDEbyallMEANS
07-15-2003, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by inFINSible


Great point and I agree but, in a different way I guess....What you said is a good idea but, you can't motivate everyone the same way. I agree that he needs to work on his motivational skillz but, he needs to be more like a Parcells or a JJ and figure out what makes each player tick.....some of them you can joke with and get them to play better, some of them you may have to threaten to get them to play better, and some of them may be more responsive to praise. It's just a matter of connecting with each guy on some level to get the most out of them. It's not an easy thing to do obviously, since history is littered with coaches who had talent and couldn't get it done. I think it's definately Dave's weakest point and you are right again, I think he just wants to be the "nice guy" all the time. I hope that Wayne's little motivational speech that he gave Wanny lit just enough of a fire under his a$$ to make him try anything this year even if it is out of character.

That is true... I agree with treating each player different because they're not all the same.. But I believe we both agree that his style of coaching is just not going to cut it... The players are just not challenged enough to the point where they don't want to be singled out.. I believe that the veteran additions will get Miami further in that aspect but not because of Wannstedt.. I personally think Wannstedt should be gone after this year.. Theres no reason why Miami does not win the SB this year with all this talent on this team and depth.. Wannstedt needs to learn how to challenge his players.. Thats the best way to get their ultimate potential out there on the field.. INFIN, good post above..

M-REAL
07-15-2003, 03:18 PM
Rude, there is no respect given for the Fins' enemies or their coaches, see my sig. below because this is what happens. Peace.