PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News Marijuana use in Top ten.

Jovu
04-18-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/wwhiextra041807.htm
Could this scare us away from Okoye? Can Gaines Adams fall to us? He would be Jason Taylor's successor.

PhinGeneral
04-18-2007, 07:11 PM
I think it depends on the usage. NFL teams conduct a lot of interviews with a lot of people, and if teams get a strong suspicion that the player's use of marijuana is more chronic than having tried it a few times, they would be more inclined to shy away I believe.

Finfanforever
04-18-2007, 07:13 PM
Maybe it's like Bill Clinton...they didn't inhale!

oodolphins
04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFLDraft/Draft+Extras/2007/wwhiextra041807.htm
Could this scare us away from Okoye? Can Gaines Adams fall to us? He would be Jason Taylor's successor.

If I were a GM, I would appreciate that the kid was honest. This won't scare many teams IMO.

PhinfanUK
04-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Damn, if only it was Quinn he might definitely fall to us. I have no problem with marijuana use, but I don't want us to select a player who ends up getting suspended.

ASUFinFan
04-18-2007, 07:26 PM
If I were a GM, I would appreciate that the kid was honest. This won't scare many teams IMO.

I agree, I gaurentee that 3/4 of these kids have all at least tried it once. You cant beat honesty. Those three were man enough to admit it, I dont think its a problem with them just becuase of that. Its the ones who lie, and keep it a secret that teams should be worried about. But heck, marajuana use is pretty common in the US.

Agent51
04-18-2007, 07:27 PM

LOL, ok, first of all, if Marijuana scared us away from Okoye, why would we then pick Adams, who used it too?

And 2, BIG DEAL. Especially in Okoye's case. The kid is NINETEEN. Of course he has tried it, I for one admire that he came forward and admitted it. It shows how mature he is. He could have easily said no and they'd never know.

dahlmarino
04-18-2007, 07:29 PM
I highly doubt it will really have any impact on where they're drafted as long as they don't test positive for it and don't get into trouble with the law because of it.

PhinfanUK
04-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I agree, I gaurentee that 3/4 of these kids have all at least tried it once. You cant beat honesty. Those three were man enough to admit it, I dont think its a problem with them just becuase of that. Its the ones who lie, and keep it a secret that teams should be worried about. But heck, marajuana use is pretty common in the US.

I would go so far as to bet that the vast majority of the players in the draft have smoked a joint. It's part of college life (I'm sure on both sides of the pond).

Jovu
04-18-2007, 07:52 PM
LOL, ok, first of all, if Marijuana scared us away from Okoye, why would we then pick Adams, who used it too?

And 2, BIG DEAL. Especially in Okoye's case. The kid is NINETEEN. Of course he has tried it, I for one admire that he came forward and admitted it. It shows how mature he is. He could have easily said no and they'd never know.

Mueller may be tempted to nab Adams; he probably is the best defender in the draft. And his position is the most important one in this defense.

And if Mueller is scared off of Adams, you can forget about Okoye. There already are red flags about his work ethic. How is he going to do once he gets the big money?

Mind you, I don't have a problem with what they did, but the NFL is cracking down.

Aqua4Ever04
04-18-2007, 07:52 PM

I'll bet you it's more than 3/4. :wink:

SamTodd
04-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I'd Bet money that more than 3 of the top '10' have smoked the healing of the nation. No way to prove it though.

Jawamba
04-18-2007, 08:17 PM
I would be a little skeptical, especially with the Commish changing the rules. It all comes back to Ricky Williams; he was suspended for the use of marijuana, why would it be any different for these three guys? Did they admit to using? Trying? it makes a difference. I cannot see Cam or Randy going for any of the three (OK maybe CJ if he does fall LMAO) this team needs character guys, solid do their jobs kind of guys

I do not know this draft enough to say who may fit that bill...I would guess Joe Thomas and Brady Quinn, but I have no clue.

any thoughts on who fits the character bill?

TexanPhinatic
04-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I think it depends on a few things. If they only admitted to "testing" it as it were thats not so bad. If they admit to more of a regular usage that could be damaging.
And if thats the case, no thanks. Just look at Ricky, posterboy for MJ. Im just glad Ricky seems to have gotten over it.
An already questionable work ethic combined with MJ usage would definately scare me off someone. The league is really coming down on that kind of stuff, and I really think a regular usage can have an adverse affect on your field play as well. Would rather take someone who is clean.

eomdtbtr
04-18-2007, 08:59 PM
I'd Bet money that more than 3 of the top '10' have smoked the healing of the nation. No way to prove it though.

Who is that guy in your pic, is it Marley?

WestCKoastiN
04-18-2007, 09:38 PM
True many people smoke marijuana can't run from that fact. heck 4/20 is closing in.

JT#1
04-18-2007, 09:43 PM
if this affects these kids' draft status the NFL has become way too paranoid, i garentee 90-95% of college players have used majiuana atleast once before.

Tupac Shakur
04-18-2007, 10:16 PM
POSTED 7:56 p.m. EDT; LAST UPDATED 8:29 p.m. EDT, April 18, 2007

JOHNSON, ADAMS, OKOYE ADMIT TO MARIJUANA USE

Pro Football Weekly reports that three consensus top-ten draft picks -- receiver Calvin Johnson, defensive end Gaines Adams, and defensive tackle Amobi Okoye -- admitted during their scouting combines interviews that they have used marijuana.

Adam Schefter of NFL Network also reports on the Okoye admission. Schefter obtained confirmation from Okoye's agent, Ian Greengross.

We reported on Tuesday that there were multiple players in the top ten who had admitted to smoking pot. The player to whom we were referring in our initial story on the matter was Johnson. We don't have the sufficient legal defense fund, however, to break a story of that ilk.

The PFW story says that the players have admitted to using marijuana. As to Johnson, we heard only that he admitted to experimenting with it.

The reaction to the news is mixed. League sources who contacted us regarding the issue on Tuesday took a ho-hum approach.

Johnson is the most surprising of the trio, and it's the only cloud (pun intended) over an otherwise spotless background. But it's still not enough to make him, in our view, anything other than the No. 1 prospect in the draft.

An obvious question that arises regarding this issue is whether the admission is enough to qualify a guy for inclusion in the league's substance-abuse program. The answer is: It depends.

Behavior can be enough, as Randy Moss almost found out in 2005. After admitting to smoking marijuana "once in a blue moon," Randy's handlers had to do some fancy verbal dancing to keep him out of the program.

Agent51
04-18-2007, 11:01 PM
Mueller may be tempted to nab Adams; he probably is the best defender in the draft. And his position is the most important one in this defense.

And if Mueller is scared off of Adams, you can forget about Okoye. There already are red flags about his work ethic. How is he going to do once he gets the big money?

Mind you, I don't have a problem with what they did, but the NFL is cracking down.

I have heard nothing on Okoye's bad work ethic, the kid is a 19 year old beast, who has been going to school since he was 2, has a college degree at 19, and has only been playing football for 7 years and is already a top 10 talent (no later than top 15), I hardly think all that constitues a "lazy" person.

And my question wasn't if Mueller likes Adams or not, the poster I quoted said "I guess we can forget about Okoye, but do you think we can get Adams", implying we won't take Okoye because of the marijuana admission, but Adams may slide to us for the same reason. That doesn't make sense, if we pass on one player just because he admitted the use, why would we take another who admitted the same thing :confused:

I don't have a problem with any of these three players. I think it shows stand-up character that they admitted it when they could have lied, and plus, it's part of teenage life. If they use like Ricky does, I have a problem, if it was trying it or once in awhile, I don't.

Noodle Arm
04-18-2007, 11:12 PM
If THIS makes him fall...then I'm going to go out on a limb and say Brady Quinn snorts coke and Calvin Johnson punches babies!!

zachequalsgod
04-19-2007, 12:54 AM

The biggest red flag is that he's 19 with a college degree :rolleyes2 what a lazy ***.

Skeet84
04-19-2007, 02:16 AM
They were honest and that says alot, But I think it hurts Adams the most.

fishypete
04-19-2007, 02:37 AM
Maybe it's like Bill Clinton...they didn't inhale!

Or didn't have sex....:shakeno:

fishypete
04-19-2007, 02:38 AM
Sounds like Marinoitis.

ASUFinFan
04-19-2007, 02:40 AM
I'll bet you it's more than 3/4. :wink:

Haha I was trying to be generous, but I agree.

CpuFan
04-19-2007, 03:47 AM
The only way this is breaking news is if your from the 1950's. :)

Regan21286
04-19-2007, 08:51 PM
As long as CJ, Okoye, and others have stopped using it, I think it won't matter.

Of course, things like that did hamper Marino's stock. If Cam and Randy start sending out Brady Quinn drug rumors, you know they really want him to fall to the 9.:lol: Too bad we can't start a few. :wink:

ChambersWI
04-19-2007, 08:55 PM
it doesn'treally hurt any o them. They all admitted to using pot at the combine, but none of them are bad guys, nor have they failed drug tests. Just because you smoked pot before it does not give you character concerns.

The only one it might hurt is Okoye, and that's because he can go anywhere from number 4 to Tampa all the way down to number 13 to St Louis.