PDA

View Full Version : Drew Staton just became a late First rounder

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 01:35 AM
Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome produced the biggest revelation of the day when he said there could be a quarterback that the team would take with the 29th pick of the first round.
-- Baltimore Sun

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/scorecard/04/18/nfl.truth.rumors/index.html

How do you like this one Boys and Girls. If we dont get Quinn or Staton, I sure hope Kolb is our guy.....

Jovu
04-19-2007, 01:39 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/scorecard/04/18/nfl.truth.rumors/index.html

How do you like this one Boys and Girls. If we dont get Quinn or Staton, I sure hope Kolb is our guy.....

Rumors are that Trent Edwards might be the QB to slip into the first round.

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Edwards might have all the potential in the world, but he sucked in college. He was always injured and while yea he showed alot of promise, his stats sucked.

Jaj
04-19-2007, 02:06 AM
Stanton is hovering around there. Edwards has been on the rise, so it's either one of them.

Skeet84
04-19-2007, 02:07 AM
Hmmmm Interesting

GRYPHONK
04-19-2007, 02:08 AM
It's Edwards

nyital571
04-19-2007, 02:11 AM
I don't believe any of this crap he might be posturing for a trade he has in the works for all we know.

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 02:13 AM
It's Edwards

No offense, but what in the hell has Edwards done to be recieving all this love. Edward was most of his college career injured. Yea he showed promise, but stas do all the talking and they were real bad. In my opinion it is Staton who is considered by many to be the Third QB, so much for him not going in the first. On another side note, if we take Edwards Im gonna be very skeptic about the pick.

Agent51
04-19-2007, 02:45 AM
No offense, but what in the hell has Edwards done to be recieving all this love.

The same could be asked of Russell, who wasn't even on the same radar screen as Brady Quinn, or even Drew Stanton, before the Sugar Bowl.

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 02:49 AM
The same could be asked of Russell, who wasn't even on the same radar screen as Brady Quinn, or even Drew Stanton, before the Sugar Bowl.

I totally agree, I remember Russell totally stinking it up in some LSU games I watched.

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 02:50 AM
That is why I personally dont think Russell is the best QB out there.

Aqua4Ever04
04-19-2007, 02:55 AM
Edwards might have all the potential in the world, but he sucked in college. He was always injured and while yea he showed alot of promise, his stats sucked.

Did you watch any of Standford's games? Man, that team was GOD AWFUL. It was hard to watch because I felt so bad for Edwards at times.

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 03:00 AM
I know how bad Stanford was, but he was injured most of his senior year and his Jr was not all that great. IM not saying he doesnt have potential, he could be the next Tom Brady for all we know. My point is that he has not shown anything but maybe a bit of potential at the QB position, his stats show a whole different QB. Usually good QB's make bad team look better, like Cutler did. The same cannot be said about Edwards. I think alot here are saying Edwards a late first because in all honesty you dont want the Dolphins to take a risk on him.

Agent51
04-19-2007, 03:02 AM
That is why I personally dont think Russell is the best QB out there.

I personally don't think he's any better than Troy Smith. I honestly don't see him being a first day pick if he entered the draft this year and he and Quinn had their Sugar Bowl stats reversed (including the win/loss). If Russell had Quinn's numbers from that game he'd be a 2nd day pick, and Quinn would be the consensus #1 (well, he'd prolly still contend with Calvin Johnson).

IMO that speaks for Quinn's real talent and what the scouts really think, that SO much is being based on the ONE single game, in which everyone says Quinn performed HORRIBLY yet his stock only slipped to #9 AT THE LATEST (when a crappy QBs stock shot up from nothing to #1 overall). If Russell turned in that same performance he would be a second day guy (like Troy Smith is now with his bad bowl performance), probably 6th or later (and he WOULDN'T be a Tom Brady 6th)

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 03:07 AM
I all honesty I think Kolb and Staton are both way better than Russell. I dont understand what is all the love for Russell. I know he has a freakish arm but other than that I think he is very over rated.

JG718
04-19-2007, 03:07 AM
what a misleading thread title! This is getting ridiculous

Myles Fynch
04-19-2007, 03:12 AM

He could really mean that, or he could be bluffing. There is no more sure-fire way to drive up the trade value of your late first rounder than to scare all the teams that thought they'd get their QB early in the second, that you're going to snag him late in round one.

SR 7
04-19-2007, 05:36 AM

thats wher epotential and gifts came into the factor and also the bowl games.

Kdawg954
04-19-2007, 05:42 AM
I personally don't think he's any better than Troy Smith. I honestly don't see him being a first day pick if he entered the draft this year and he and Quinn had their Sugar Bowl stats reversed (including the win/loss). If Russell had Quinn's numbers from that game he'd be a 2nd day pick, and Quinn would be the consensus #1 (well, he'd prolly still contend with Calvin Johnson).

IMO that speaks for Quinn's real talent and what the scouts really think, that SO much is being based on the ONE single game, in which everyone says Quinn performed HORRIBLY yet his stock only slipped to #9 AT THE LATEST (when a crappy QBs stock shot up from nothing to #1 overall). If Russell turned in that same performance he would be a second day guy (like Troy Smith is now with his bad bowl performance), probably 6th or later (and he WOULDN'T be a Tom Brady 6th)

Your post is completely biast. No offense. But you are comparing Russell to Troy Smith . . . Russell has ideal height and a better arm . . . hell maybe Smith is a better QB mentally . . . iono, but there was talk of Jamarcus being an early first round pick for the longest. He has all the tools you look for in a QB . . . and he is a pass first QB . . . with the right coaching, he can be something special in this league. Its kind of ironic how Ted Ginn got hurt and then the passing game got shut down . . . he IMO was the impact player on that offense . . . not Troy Smith. Whether its drawing double or triple coverage as a threat . . . or hitting the homerun, Ginn made that offense go. Smith was alot of hype, tho I still think he can be worked w/ to be a good player in the NFL.

I can understand your love for Brady Quinn, but your opinion gets thrown out the window when you completely throw a guy, who is being considered the number one pick in the draft, under the bus like you just did Russell. Yea he had a few bad games . . . hmmmm @ Florida and @ Auburn . . . 2 defensive struggles on the road in SEC play.

Its easy to say if we switched Russell's and Quinn's stats . . . this isn't a fantasy world. Even if Russell had a bad game against Notre Dame and Quinn had an excellent one against that LSU D . . . yea Quinn would probably be the consensus #1 . . . but no wayyyyyy Jamarcus slips out of the top 15, let alone the first round. Fact is, Quinn had another lackluster performance against a top team and Jamarcus outshined him on the big stage. Hey is it fair that because a guy sucked all year, but runs a 4.3 . . .he gets in the first round . . . thats life.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get Brady Quinn in a Fin's uniform next Saturday . . . mannn o mannn would that be sweet . . . but I'm sorry if you can't see the potential and measurables of Jamarcus Russell and can't see why he is being considered the top pick in the draft.

jlfin
04-19-2007, 06:07 AM
No offense, but what in the hell has Edwards done to be recieving all this love. Edward was most of his college career injured. Yea he showed promise, but stas do all the talking and they were real bad. In my opinion it is Staton who is considered by many to be the Third QB, so much for him not going in the first. On another side note, if we take Edwards Im gonna be very skeptic about the pick.

NFL personnel guys have a little more expertise then you do (no offense) and they use a more sophisiticated evaluation system then you do.
They actually breakdown film and conduct private workouts and look at things such as arm motion/ delivery and decision making in certain situations. They don't rely on stats, because the QB is part of a TEAM and sometimes those teams aren't very good.
How do you think gems are found from small schools? Do you think Edwards' career would have been better if he played for Florida or Ohio State?

TampaFinsFan01
04-19-2007, 07:33 AM
I don't believe any of this crap he might be posturing for a trade he has in the works for all we know.

Exactly. No GM in their right mind is going to announce plans like that.

GEORGIA FIN
04-19-2007, 07:34 AM
Why would Oakland not take CJ in the first and Stanton in the second? I don't think Stanton will be available because of something like this. JMO

LarryFinFan
04-19-2007, 07:41 AM
The QBs seem to fall into 3 groups this year...

You have Quinn and Russell as the elite guys, guys expected to start this coming year or mid year.
You have Edwards, Kolb, Stanton and Smith as the next level down, guys that need a year or two on the sidelines before they might get a shot, but guys that are projected to be able to play at this level maybe starters, maybe not much better than solid backups.
You have Zabranski, Palko, Palmer, Leak,Stanback and Beck in the next group, probably 2nd day guys that also will take a few years to develop and have some flaws that may see them as not much more than camp fodder or backups in the league. Of course, one or two of these guys may surprise you and become legit starters.

Once into the late 1st or early second rounds thru the end of the first day, teams tend to break the "don't draft for need" decree and reach for one of those middle guys. It's a crap shoot that sometimes works...sometimes not. So, the Ravens, Rams, Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland (assuming they didn't take Quinn or Russell), Atlanta, KC, Jets, NE (with two late first round picks) could all be looking for a guy to groom...Or course, Miami is in there somewhere as well. So to think that Edwards might be scarfed up in the late 1st or early second isn't too far fetched...

rick32883
04-19-2007, 07:48 AM
I totally agree, I remember Russell totally stinking it up in some LSU games I watched.

personally i think he's the guy slated to drop down boards and falls to us .. dont think so .. anyone remember a certain Cardinals QB falling that far?

either way it doesn't matter .. if he(stanton) is a late 1st round .. with ten picks we could potentially still go after him if we really wanted/needed to

jason8er
04-19-2007, 07:52 AM

I posted months ago, about a weird feeling I had that Chicago takes Stanton in the late first. It was a bad feeling too, because he was the only player I was set on at the time.

Austin Tatious
04-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Larry, I think you need to swap out Beck and Smith in your two groups. Otherwise, interesting view.

utahphinsfan
04-19-2007, 08:56 AM

I agree 100%.

Vertical Limit
04-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Don't be surprised if the Bears take a QB late in the 1st round as well.

Pompy
04-19-2007, 09:42 AM
No GM is going to tip his hand on who he is going to take in the draft.... And Newsome is a good GM.....

Aqua and Orange
04-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Wow, this is nuts. This draft is so huge for us given the fact we have no QB and it is the most important position on the field. I don't remember the last time I was this excited.
If we fall on our butts with drafting a QB this year it could be hell for team morale. I just hope that Quinn falls to us or we trade up for him so we can relax as we watch the rest of the draft.

Agent51
04-19-2007, 03:46 PM
Your post is completely biast. No offense. But you are comparing Russell to Troy Smith . . . Russell has ideal height and a better arm . . . hell maybe Smith is a better QB mentally . . . iono, but there was talk of Jamarcus being an early first round pick for the longest. He has all the tools you look for in a QB . . . and he is a pass first QB . . . with the right coaching, he can be something special in this league. Its kind of ironic how Ted Ginn got hurt and then the passing game got shut down . . . he IMO was the impact player on that offense . . . not Troy Smith. Whether its drawing double or triple coverage as a threat . . . or hitting the homerun, Ginn made that offense go. Smith was alot of hype, tho I still think he can be worked w/ to be a good player in the NFL.

I can understand your love for Brady Quinn, but your opinion gets thrown out the window when you completely throw a guy, who is being considered the number one pick in the draft, under the bus like you just did Russell. Yea he had a few bad games . . . hmmmm @ Florida and @ Auburn . . . 2 defensive struggles on the road in SEC play.

Its easy to say if we switched Russell's and Quinn's stats . . . this isn't a fantasy world. Even if Russell had a bad game against Notre Dame and Quinn had an excellent one against that LSU D . . . yea Quinn would probably be the consensus #1 . . . but no wayyyyyy Jamarcus slips out of the top 15, let alone the first round. Fact is, Quinn had another lackluster performance against a top team and Jamarcus outshined him on the big stage. Hey is it fair that because a guy sucked all year, but runs a 4.3 . . .he gets in the first round . . . thats life.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to get Brady Quinn in a Fin's uniform next Saturday . . . mannn o mannn would that be sweet . . . but I'm sorry if you can't see the potential and measurables of Jamarcus Russell and can't see why he is being considered the top pick in the draft.

I never said Troy Smith was the playmaker on the Ohio State offense, I said Russell reminds me of Troy Smith, and the fact that Smith WASN'T the playmaker is my entire point. Smith was hyped, and won a Heisman, but the real stars were his supporting cast, and I see the same with Russell. Russell shot up after the Sugar Bowl, don't tell me he was a top pick all along, because I follow football religiously and I never heard it. I hardly saw him on highlight reels during weekly recaps, and I didn't hear anybody raving about him all season. If it weren't for the Sugar Bowl, in which his TEAM won, not JaMarcus Russell, he wouldn't be the #1 guy, period. So he has a great arm........and? Unless this guy goes to a place that has a deep threat he will amount to nothing. Oakland will be perfect for him, because there is a greedy WR who only runs deep stuff, so it will make Russell look better than he really is. Put Russell on a team with avergae WRs and is he still "magic"? No. What seperates average QBs from great QBs is their ability to succeed with ANY WR corps. I don't see Russell succeeding unless he has a star WR, and that doesn't make him a great QB. Again, body size and cannon arm don't make a great QB, it's a very mental position, and the best QBs in the game (Manning and Brady) are mental guys, not physical specimens with rocket arms (well Manning is pretty tall, but if you saw his Saturday Night Live, he is very "wirey" :lol:).

My credibility is thrown out the window because I don't believe in the Russell hype? Fine, so be it, I'm not credible, either way, Russell is still highly overrated. You are kidding yourself if you think he would be the #1 overall if that Sugar Bowl had went the opposite way and LSU lost and Russell had Quinn's numbers. Like I said, this guy was never at the top of people's boards until then, so if he hadn't had that performance he'd be a 2nd day guy should he choose to come out. That's my stance. If the guy is so great why wasn't he even named the starter til the season opener? There were always questions surrounding him, the coaching staff has admitted that, so it's just amazing that his entire career seems to be overlooked due to ONE friggin game.

I will say it for the millionth time, he is lazy, has a poor work ethic, and the offense was tweaked to make him look good. Coaches have admitted they altered it to have more outside deep stuff to take advantage of his arm strength as opposed to a lot of crossing and inside stuff where he had to perform multiple check downs and fit it into tight spaces because he struggled. Tell me, does a guy who can only throw bombs make a great NFL QB? No. It may make a great HIGHLIGHT reel QB, but it doesn't make a great QB. Stare at his numbers all you want, but of course he will have tons of yards and TDs when he just throws bombs. It's the same thing as Randy Moss, his stats are inflated due to the nature of the way he plays. If all you do is cherry-pick over-the-top then of course ou will have better numbers than a guy who actually spreads the ball around the field and throws the tough inside short yard stuff too. That's another thing that amazes me, they have similar numbers (Quinna nd Russell) and everyone praises Russell for having similar numbers as Quinn, yet they overlook that Quinn's numbers, while about the same, are more impressive because that was done making ALL the throws, not just the deep stuff which inflates your yards-per-attemtp and TDs-per-attempt records, and prolly helps the completion % too as they are simple routes into single man or zone coverage as opposed to tough throws into traffic over the middle. It definately boosted his total yards too.

And no, it isn't fair that a guy sucked all year and ran a 4.3 and is now a top pick, and that is EXACTLY my point here. Just because he is now VIEWED as a top pick on one performance doesn't mean he IS a top pick, just like Russell. Russell wasn't a top 15 guy before that game, so yes, it does make sense that if he didn't have that performance he wouldn't be up there, same way if that guy didn't run a 4.3 he wouldn't be so high. You basically just acknowledged my entire point in that last paragraph. I never said the world was fair, all I'm saying is that Russell wouldn't be a high pick if he didn't have the performance he did (and for the record, it was against a crappy defense and LSU beat Notre Dame, Russell didn't beat Quinn), which is ridiculous, just like a 5th round talent blazing at the combine and becoming a first round talent.