PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins in prime position for draft

d-day
04-19-2007, 03:11 AM
GM Randy Mueller, the primary architect of the team's April 28-29 draft, will be responsible -- along with coach Cam Cameron -- for making Miami competitive.

The man responsible for restoring credibility to Dolphins drafts was going to be fired if Nick Saban had stayed. He hasn't really run a draft since 2001. He has to oversee this Miami draft, handicapped in part, while having to use much of Saban's system.

Oh, and he has to find consensus about his picks with coach Cam Cameron, whom he has known only three months.
Not a problem for Randy Mueller.
''I love this,'' Mueller said recently of his job as Miami's general manager and primary architect of the team's April 28-29 draft.

``It's a grind, but it's fun. It's what we do. It will be the biggest day for the Dolphins every year, and it should be. This is a chance for us to build our team more in two days -- 48 hours -- than the other however many days there are in the year. It's fun, it's exciting, and I love the process. I have a passion for the process.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/79111.html

d-day
04-19-2007, 03:13 AM
The Dolphins have 10 picks in the April 28-29 draft.

ROUND OVERALL

1) 9
2) 40
2) 60
3) 71
4) 108
6) 181
6) 199
7) 219
7) 225
7) 238

miamiron
04-19-2007, 03:14 AM
What a change from a year ago...and for the better I may add!

elite14eva
04-19-2007, 03:18 AM
amen.

rainmaker1313
04-19-2007, 03:56 AM
Maybe Mueller will pull a (Saints) Ditka and trade ALL our picks to get Brady Quinn!!

Kdawg954
04-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Maybe Mueller will pull a (Saints) Ditka and trade ALL our picks to get Brady Quinn!!

god I hope not.

3Ply Stagliano
04-19-2007, 06:17 AM
It'll make a pleasant change to have some interest in the whole draft this year (Except round 5 it seems).

Wolf13
04-19-2007, 07:03 AM
Who knows, maybe with all of these late round picks we can move up into the 3rd/4th or 5th rounds?

jason8er
04-19-2007, 07:58 AM
Who knows, maybe with all of these late round picks we can move up into the 3rd/4th or 5th rounds?
KA-CHING! That's exactly what I've been posting for a while now. Use all 6th and 7th round picks to move up or add a pick on day one. Mueller has an uncanny ability to find talent in the first two rounds, then he fails miserably after that. So give him as many early picks as possible.

Dan The Fin Fan
04-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Yah Right!

trate121hb
04-19-2007, 08:08 AM
i like that we can maneuver like tony montana said (changed a little bit)

"first we get the picks, then we get the power, then we get te ring"

ppl will be calling wanting to trade with us and im sure we'll be on the phone too

fishypete
04-19-2007, 08:09 AM

As long as Quinn isn't in a wedding dress.

Bumpus
04-19-2007, 08:28 AM

You can't really be serious can you?

Dan The Fin Fan
04-19-2007, 09:37 AM
Miami need to trade down to Green Bay! If we do this we swop are 9th pick for there 16th pick in the first round and pick up OT Joe Staley who is just as good as Levi Brown, and by doing this he will cost less at the 16th pick then a 9th pick in the draft! Then Green Bay would have to swop there 47th pick for are 60th pick in the draft, so we have the 40th and 47th pick in the 2nd round. Green Bay would also have to give us there 78th pick in the the third round, so we have the 71st and the 78th pick in the 3rd round. Miami would also get there 5th round pick, but Miami has to give them there 6th round 199th pick in the draft according to the 2007 draft chart. There is alot that goes into tradeing up or down in the draft, but by doing this Green Bay has the (1st)9th(2nd)60th(4th)112th(6th)193,199th(7th)228,235,243rd pick in the draft, with Adrian Peterson with the 9th pick in the draft. Miami has (1st)16th(2nd)40th,47th(3rd)71st,78th(4th)108th(5th)157th(6th)181st(7th)219,225,238th pick in the draft! With us getting OT Joe Staley or DE Jamaal Anderson if he is still there, because we only have J.T. and Matt Roth and if one goes down where f@ck, and we just sign another OT about a day ago and if Cam thinks one of are OT's can do the job and J.T. getting ready to retire in a year or two, we should pick Anderson. Whoever we will pick will be less money for us with the 16th pick in the draft! With Tamba Bay haveing 6 QB's on the roster we should see what happens with there QB's after the draft and pick one up they will drop. Like that young kid from Toledo who played dam good with no line last year! With Tampa havening three rookie offense lineman starting last year, C.Williams and him had no chance. This kid to me, is alot like Steve Young was when he started, he to was not so great, but never quite when he was out there on the field. It sure would not hurt to but some depth in are QB position and he would be a great fit in Miami, with us drafting a QB this year in the 4th round is what I would like to see, I like John Beck, Trent Edwards or Kevin Kolb that might be here, I am almost sure one of there will drop to the begining of the 4th round, and I think if they had to any one of these QB's would be able to start by mid season and if they do not work out, Miami draft's another QB next year with all the other teams being set at the QB position by the end of this year! Like Brian Brohm, Colt Brennan or Hennen from MI. This could be a smart move for Miami this year and let us work on are Offense Line and a WR like Jason Hill or Anthony Gonzalez who is alot like Wes Welker after that first pick in this years draft, alot like N.Y.Jets did last year in the draft that help them get into the playoffs!! I would not be upset if they get DE Anderson with the first pick and used the rest of the picks on the Offense, but I do like FS Jose Gattis in the 4th round, so we can move Allen to CB position and move Y.Bell to SS, Or Gattis since he played both positions in college! Also I like DE Ikalka Alama-Francis for some depth at DE position to, in the 3rd round. If we get OT Joe Staley with the first pick!

cnc66
04-19-2007, 09:56 AM
paragraphs are your friend

Lab3003
04-19-2007, 10:03 AM
KA-CHING! That's exactly what I've been posting for a while now. Use all 6th and 7th round picks to move up or add a pick on day one. Mueller has an uncanny ability to find talent in the first two rounds, then he fails miserably after that. So give him as many early picks as possible.

I agree.

Boone
04-19-2007, 10:05 AM
:spit:

Lab3003
04-19-2007, 10:08 AM
Miami need to trade down to Green Bay! If we do this we swop are 9th pick for there 16th pick in the first round and pick up OT Joe Staley who is just as good as Levi Brown, and by doing this he will cost less at the 16th pick then a 9th pick in the draft! Then Green Bay would have to swop there 47th pick for are 60th pick in the draft, so we have the 40th and 47th pick in the 2nd round. Green Bay would also have to give us there 78th pick in the the third round, so we have the 71st and the 78th pick in the 3rd round. Miami would also get there 5th round pick, but Miami has to give them there 6th round 199th pick in the draft according to the 2007 draft chart. There is alot that goes into tradeing up or down in the draft, but by doing this Green Bay has the (1st)9th(2nd)60th(4th)112th(6th)193,199th(7th)228,235,243rd pick in the draft, with Adrian Peterson with the 9th pick in the draft. Miami has (1st)16th(2nd)40th,47th(3rd)71st,78th(4th)108th(5th)157th(6th)181st(7th)219,225,238th pick in the draft! With us getting OT Joe Staley or DE Jamaal Anderson if he is still there, because we only have J.T. and Matt Roth and if one goes down where f@ck, and we just sign another OT about a day ago and if Cam thinks one of are OT's can do the job and J.T. getting ready to retire in a year or two, we should pick Anderson. Whoever we will pick will be less money for us with the 16th pick in the draft! With Tamba Bay haveing 6 QB's on the roster we should see what happens with there QB's after the draft and pick one up they will drop. Like that young kid from Toledo who played dam good with no line last year! With Tampa havening three rookie offense lineman starting last year, C.Williams and him had no chance. This kid to me, is alot like Steve Young was when he started, he to was not so great, but never quite when he was out there on the field. It sure would not hurt to but some depth in are QB position and he would be a great fit in Miami, with us drafting a QB this year in the 4th round is what I would like to see, I like John Beck, Trent Edwards or Kevin Kolb that might be here, I am almost sure one of there will drop to the begining of the 4th round, and I think if they had to any one of these QB's would be able to start by mid season and if they do not work out, Miami draft's another QB next year with all the other teams being set at the QB position by the end of this year! Like Brian Brohm, Colt Brennan or Hennen from MI. This could be a smart move for Miami this year and let us work on are Offense Line and a WR like Jason Hill or Anthony Gonzalez who is alot like Wes Welker after that first pick in this years draft, alot like N.Y.Jets did last year in the draft that help them get into the playoffs!! I would not be upset if they get DE Anderson with the first pick and used the rest of the picks on the Offense, but I do like FS Jose Gattis in the 4th round, so we can move Allen to CB position and move Y.Bell to SS, Or Gattis since he played both positions in college! Also I like DE Ikalka Alama-Francis for some depth at DE position to, in the 3rd round. If we get OT Joe Staley with the first pick!

wow...but I just don't know if it's in Green Bay's interests to move up for Adrian Peterson. Also I'm not impressed with Anthony Gonzalez, I'd rather have Steve Smith from USC or Johnnie Lee Higgins from UTEP before Gonzalez.

PerfectFinz72
04-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Other than 05 when we had the 2nd overall pick...I dont know that I've EVER been this excited about a draft knowing we have so many picks. Add to that the potential options of trading picks, moving up or down....always adds some excitement. I can't wait! :D

Spegg
04-19-2007, 10:50 AM
x

Spegg
04-19-2007, 10:51 AM
Kdawg954
My Ideal Miami Dolphins 2007 First Day Draft Mock
**Miami Trades picks 9 & 104 to Green Bay for picks 16 & 47**
16. Ted Ginn Jr - WR/PR/KR - Ohio State; 40. Joe Staley - OT - Central Michigan; 47. Drew Stanton - QB - Michigan State; 60. Zach Miller - TE - Arizona State; 71. Josh Beekman - OG/C - Boston College

If trading down is the way we decide to go, I would definitely go for this. Maybe not all the players, but the draft picks.

tay0365
04-19-2007, 11:46 AM
wow...but I just don't know if it's in Green Bay's interests to move up for Adrian Peterson. Also I'm not impressed with Anthony Gonzalez, I'd rather have Steve Smith from USC or Johnnie Lee Higgins from UTEP before Gonzalez.

Actually Gonzalez is a far more polished and better reciever then those two. He has great hands, runs very precice routes, and is very smart (rarely making any mental mistakes. His only problem was he was on the same team as the most explosive receiver in this draft, and his stats this year were just as good, with 2 less games played.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/wr/anthonygonzalez.html

nick1
04-19-2007, 11:50 AM
I'd take Anthony Gonzales over those guys too... if we get Brady Quinn and DB and OL help in the draft I would consider it a good draft.

I can't wait, just 8 or 9 more days and than we have to wait like 3 hours until we pick

tay0365
04-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Kdawg954
My Ideal Miami Dolphins 2007 First Day Draft Mock
**Miami Trades picks 9 & 104 to Green Bay for picks 16 & 47**
16. Ted Ginn Jr - WR/PR/KR - Ohio State; 40. Joe Staley - OT - Central Michigan; 47. Drew Stanton - QB - Michigan State; 60. Zach Miller - TE - Arizona State; 71. Josh Beekman - OG/C - Boston College

If trading down is the way we decide to go, I would definitely go for this. Maybe not all the players, but the draft picks.

I would not be very upset with those 1st 5 picks, very nice.

nick1
04-19-2007, 11:52 AM
isn't the #1 pick announced early? technically the Raiders could have selected a guy at the end of the season. I know last year the Texans announced their pick a day ahead

Dan The Fin Fan
04-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Steve Smith and Higgins, they are not anything to me like Gonzalez! He can do it all, just like Wes Welker did. So we got a 2nd and 7th for Welker and use the first 2nd round pick on Gonzalez, so we do not miss a beet baby! Or we waite till the 60th pick and hope and pray Jason Hill is still there for us with this late of a 2nd round pick!

Dan The Fin Fan
04-21-2007, 02:29 AM
This is the way I would do things if I where the GM for Miami, we would trade down to Green Bay if RB A.Peterson was still there to get there 16th pick and Green Bay would have to swop are 2nd 60th for there 2nd 47th and are 6th for there 5th. With Green Bay giveing us there 3rd round pick, so all Green Bay lose's is a 3rd round pick! So we have picks 16, 40, 47, 71, 78, 108, 157, 181, 219, 225, 238. And these talks would take place as of now before the draft! As I would be trying to talk to Oakland to trade Culpepper for there two 5th round picks 138, 165 and on the draft chart this would be worth 62pts or pick number 116th the 20th pick in the 4th round. Or maybe they give us there 4th round pick 100 that is the 1st pick in the 4th round for Culpepper. But if they have Culpepper and draft Stanton in the 2nd round, that give them Calvin Johnson with the first pick in the draft! And they do not need no defense at all so there next picks can go on the offense line. Picks (1)C.Johnson(33)Stanton, 65, 99 and 100 Offense line, with picks 175, 211, 254 left for them in the draft! Now that give Miami Picks 138 and 165 from Oakland, with the hope that Green Bay's trade happens and A.Peterson drops to the 9th spot in the draft, Then Miami has PICKS 16, 40, 47, 71, 78, 108, 138, 157, 165, 181, 219, 225, 238 and that is 13 picks in the draft, and I know a QB who had the number 13 that played for Miami, this number was dam lucky for us in Miami. So maybe we reach this number in the draft and make this the best draft ever in history!! My pick here are 16th DE J.Anderson first with no depth at DE and J.Taylor retired in a year or two. If Anderson is not there, then Ginn or OT J.Staley will be. Pick 40th OT Tony Ugoh if we got Anderson or Ginn, if we got Staley then WR A.Gonzalez or DT Tank Tyler will be here. So I can only dream of (16th)DE J.Anderson(40th)OT Joe Staley(47th)DT Tank Tyler(71st)WR Jason Hill(78th)TE Ben Patrick(108th)QB Kevin Kolb or John Beck will be here in the 4th round.(138th)OG Andy Alleman this kid is strong and fast for his size, or Kasey Studdard will be here(157th)OC Kyle Young who showed up very fat and out of shape on his pro day after being suspended for a year in college, so he drops to us here.(165)(Best Player)K Mason Crosby or CB Courtney Brown, CB DeAndre Jackson or CB C.J Gaddis will be here(181st)(Best Player)If we get Crosby we go after CB Anthony Arline, or if we already have a CB we look for RB Brandon Jackson, OT Corey Hilliard, WR Legedu Naanee or (WR Yamon Figurs for KR/PR) or undersize players that drop down in the draft like MLB Buster Davis, OLB Sam Olajubutu, if not we go DT Walter Thomas one of these players will drop to the 6th round.(219)OT to play OG Chase Johnson who is 6'8"330lbs and see how he does.(225)OG Kurt Quarterman who is 6'5"350lbs of man power!(238)OG Eric Graham who is 6'6"330lbs. Then with Miami getting rid of Culpepper we see who Tampa Bay get's rid of with the 6 QB's that they have on there roster! Also see what K.C. does with Trent Green and give up no draft pick at all. There is no way Tampa keeps 6 QB's or Edwards keeps Trent Green on his roster and pay's him his 7.5 mil.

ASUFinFan
04-21-2007, 03:15 AM

No joke. Also in that scenerio we would then have three 2nd rounders not just 2.

Agent51
04-21-2007, 03:35 AM
GM Randy Mueller, the primary architect of the team's April 28-29 draft, will be responsible -- along with coach Cam Cameron -- for making Miami competitive.

The man responsible for restoring credibility to Dolphins drafts was going to be fired if Nick Saban had stayed. He hasn't really run a draft since 2001. He has to oversee this Miami draft, handicapped in part, while having to use much of Saban's system.

Oh, and he has to find consensus about his picks with coach Cam Cameron, whom he has known only three months.
Not a problem for Randy Mueller.
''I love this,'' Mueller said recently of his job as Miami's general manager and primary architect of the team's April 28-29 draft.

``It's a grind, but it's fun. It's what we do. It will be the biggest day for the Dolphins every year, and it should be. This is a chance for us to build our team more in two days -- 48 hours -- than the other however many days there are in the year. It's fun, it's exciting, and I love the process. I have a passion for the process.''

http://www.miamiherald.com/616/story/79111.html

And that is why he is a football GM instead of a school teacher folks :lol:

No but seriously, I am actually excited for the draft for the first time in I can't even remember how long. We have a stockpile of picks (for once we have MORE than the normal amount instead of less), we have no Wanny to worry about passing up a star QB to pick a position we already have plenty of good players at (aka the 2001 draft when Brees was passed up to pick Fletcher, a CB, to go in our defensive backfield that already had 3 perennial Pro Bowlers :fire:) or giving away a bunch of our current and future picks for mediocre players, we have no Saban to worry about picking all players from the SEC (seemingly) and focusing only on the defense, which aside from the DBs HASN'T been our problem, and we have a GM with a great track record that finally seems to have a little say in all of this. It looks like we are destined for great things in this draft.

Although sidenote, it says Mueller "hasn't fully run a draft since 2001" and that was the Fletcher-over-Brees year, which is the worst draft I remember in a LONG time, so I'm hoping that wasn't his call?

Bradical
04-21-2007, 08:52 PM
And that is why he is a football GM instead of a school teacher folks :lol:

No but seriously, I am actually excited for the draft for the first time in I can't even remember how long. We have a stockpile of picks (for once we have MORE than the normal amount instead of less), we have no Wanny to worry about passing up a star QB to pick a position we already have plenty of good players at (aka the 2001 draft when Brees was passed up to pick Fletcher, a CB, to go in our defensive backfield that already had 3 perennial Pro Bowlers :fire:) or giving away a bunch of our current and future picks for mediocre players, we have no Saban to worry about picking all players from the SEC (seemingly) and focusing only on the defense, which aside from the DBs HASN'T been our problem, and we have a GM with a great track record that finally seems to have a little say in all of this. It looks like we are destined for great things in this draft.

Although sidenote, it says Mueller "hasn't fully run a draft since 2001" and that was the Fletcher-over-Brees year, which is the worst draft I remember in a LONG time, so I'm hoping that wasn't his call?

The 2001 draft they are referring to was during Mueller's time with the Saints. The Fletcher pick was Wannstedt's call.

jlfin
04-21-2007, 09:37 PM
god I hope not.

I don't mean to nitpick, but when you use the name of the almighty it should always be capitalized.
If you are agnostic, then you shouldn't use his name at all.

fintip
04-21-2007, 10:01 PM

:bong2:

Agent51
04-21-2007, 10:05 PM
The 2001 draft they are referring to was during Mueller's time with the Saints. The Fletcher pick was Wannstedt's call.

:smackhead: D'oh, I am an idiot, I forgot he wasn't with us then, :shakeno: :lol: