PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins scout BYU QB Beck

jim1
04-19-2007, 04:02 PM
The Dolphins' search for a young quarterback took them to Provo, Utah earlier this month where coach Cam Cameron and General Manager Randy Mueller met with Brigham Young quarterback John Beck, according to a source.

Beck, who also had worked out for the Dolphins at team headquarters earlier this month, completed 289 of 417 passes (69.3 completion percentage) for 3,885 yards, including 32 touchdowns and eight interceptions his senior season.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Beck finished his BYU career with 11,021 passing yards, second behind former Bears quarterback Jim McMahon on the school's all-time list.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-byu042007,0,3857666.story?coll=sfla-dolphins-front

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 04:05 PM
If he can help us win games who cares how old is. Seriously if the kid becomes something special you guys really care how old he is.

nyital571
04-19-2007, 04:06 PM
I've always like this kid. He is a gym rat type first one on the practice field last one off. A really enthusiastic guy who is a high charcter type guy. Could be a big time sleeper in the draft.

ohiobryan
04-19-2007, 04:07 PM
no no no quinn!

ckparrothead
04-19-2007, 04:08 PM
That article is a little late to the table. We heard about this basically right after it happened.

It really just highlights their commitment to come out of the first day of the draft with a quarterback. They've covered all of the first day quarterbacks now with private interviews and chalk talk sessions.

I've been plain in my thinking from the start that the "must have" quarterbacks in this class for Miami are Brady Quinn and John Beck.

If we took Stanton, I wouldn't be overly excited. If we took Edwards, I'd actually be a little ticked off. If we took Kolb, I'd be so-so on it...big time project IMO.

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 04:10 PM
dHBy7uIV_iE

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 04:10 PM
NCgH6sTEeP8

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 04:19 PM
I really like his completion percentage, something very important in Camerons offense.

finfan54
04-19-2007, 04:20 PM
I like Beck. We could get him at 60 or even 71. depends on what happens earlier with QB's.

jim1
04-19-2007, 04:21 PM
That article is a little late to the table. We heard about this basically right after it happened.

It really just highlights their commitment to come out of the first day of the draft with a quarterback. They've covered all of the first day quarterbacks now with private interviews and chalk talk sessions.

I've been plain in my thinking from the start that the "must have" quarterbacks in this class for Miami are Brady Quinn and John Beck.

If we took Stanton, I wouldn't be overly excited. If we took Edwards, I'd actually be a little ticked off. If we took Kolb, I'd be so-so on it...big time project IMO.

How about this for a draft?

#1 Ted Ginn

#2a John Beck
#2b Doug Free

#3 Andy Alleman

#4 Doug Datish

I wouldn't mind picking up OLB Brian Smith in rounds 6 or 7 either.

utahphinsfan
04-19-2007, 04:25 PM
no no no quinn!

Glad to see you're coming around and don't want Quinn. When did you have your epiphany?

Boomer
04-19-2007, 04:34 PM

#1 Ted Ginn

#2a John Beck
#2b Doug Free

#3 Andy Alleman

#4 Doug Datish

If you were to switch Alleman and Beck, that would be a pretty good looking 1st day and a bit.

jim1
04-19-2007, 04:40 PM
If you were to switch Alleman and Beck, that would be a pretty good looking 1st day and a bit.

I learned of Beck through your posts, now I'm a little concerned that he won't last until #60.

Dolfan32323
04-19-2007, 04:41 PM
WOW, what a cannon!

zach8111
04-19-2007, 04:48 PM
i really like beck if quinn isnt available

donart
04-19-2007, 04:48 PM

Phil Simms was on Hank Goldberg yesterday and gave high marks to Beck. He raved about J Russell and that was about it as far as this years QB's. He wasn't crazy about Quinns deep ball calling it average at best. He thinks Beck or Edwards should be available for the fins. He did not like Stanton at all. You can hear the interview at http://www.wqam.com/index.php?page=336

zach8111
04-19-2007, 04:51 PM
NCgH6sTEeP8
wow just watched your video and he has a heck of an arm. if not quinn, then beck definately. he can scamble , strong, smart accurate, we should take him.

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 05:01 PM
Mueller was not lying when he said there were several QB's with 1st round value. In my opinion Kolb, Beck and Staton can all be first rounders.

FinAtic8480
04-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Another thing about Beck is the kid can really drive a team and lead them to a win with a big throw.

vlG8DB34aZE

eomdtbtr
04-19-2007, 05:31 PM

#1 Ted Ginn

#2a John Beck
#2b Doug Free

#3 Andy Alleman

#4 Doug Datish

Switch beck with Reggie Nelson, and Doug Free with Beck and I would be pumped.

Captain Lou
04-19-2007, 05:48 PM
I really like his completion percentage, something very important in Camerons offense.

The only problem is he plays a spread offense. It willtake a while for him to learn to become a drop back passer. I highly doubt Quinn be there when we pick, and I don't see us trading away picks to get him. I really think Kolb is our best option.

Boomer
04-19-2007, 06:02 PM
He's Rich Gannon with a bigger arm.

Myles Fynch
04-19-2007, 06:12 PM
You gotta love that arm. Beck looks very poised in the pocket, has good footwork, and hangs in there till the last minute to give his WR the best chance to make a play. If he plays for us this Fall his mobility may save his life. :D

I never did care that he was 25. Six of one, half dozen of the other. You are probably getting some intangibles you might not get from a 22 year old in the age trade-off. And I'd rather him have been doing some mission work for two years than be in the slammer or a detention center.

If Quinn's gone and they like Beck next, trade down and get him later on in the first. Don't get cute moving down too far and miss out. Half of these QBs are likely to be flat out busts... the million dollar question is, "Which ones?"

Bofin
04-19-2007, 06:18 PM
i like beck, he's a little short at 6.2 if that is correct and could use another 5-10 lbs. of muscle but i like the way he led his team, there is some intangible thing there that i like,,,# 9 in the draft is too big a gamble though in my opinion,,maybe 3rd. round or one of our 2nd rounders

PhinGeneral
04-19-2007, 06:40 PM
What really stuck out to me in those YouTube vids were his pocket presence and vision. He seems to be able to "feel" the rush, a natural ability that guys like Marino had, only Beck has more ability to escape. I was also impressed with the field vision he showed by scrambling to his right and finding the open receiver back across the field while he was still moving.

SoDakDolfan
04-19-2007, 07:14 PM
Beck is good, I've seen him play. His smarts are what would fit well with Cam's offense.

PHINSfan
04-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Rumor down here in Davie is that he's here, as well as Levi Brown, meeting with the PHINS staff.

TRUEPHIN
04-19-2007, 07:23 PM
If we draft a QB on day 1, I hope it's Beck.

AZStryker
04-19-2007, 07:43 PM
No thanks to Beck! Too old and he's a BYU product. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they do not run a pro style offense at all, thus inflated numbers. ie Detmer Bros, Mcmahn, etc...

Brady Quinn is the only option. He'll be there becasue Millen and Savage want to keep their jobs. They don't want to be known as the one who drafted Quinn for the next regime. Thomas for Detroit, Peterson for Cleveland, QUINN FOR MIAMI!!!!!

dlockz
04-19-2007, 08:46 PM
if we don't take Quinn I like the idea of taking a Qb with our first pick of the third round. my preference is trent Edwards but I would take whoever is left on the board between Beck, Edwards, Kolb and Stanton. Like Jeff Rowe on two.