PDA

View Full Version : After the Movie Thread what about books?

Dajesus
07-15-2003, 03:30 AM
What are some of your facorite books? Here are Mine:
Cats Cradle-Vonegout
Another Road Side Attraction-Tom Robbins
One Flew Over the Cucu's Nest-Keysey
On the Road-Keruwack
The Super Sytem-Doyle Brunson
The Rum Diarys-Hunter S Thompson
A Brave New World-Aldous Huxley
The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test-Tom Wolfe
Living With the Dead-?

Bobby Humphrey
07-15-2003, 03:51 AM
i wish i could read so i could join in the chat, but....

WeVie
07-15-2003, 10:19 AM
I read A Brave New World when I was in high school. Not a bad read. It was my senior year and we had a student teacher and I think she is the hottest chick I have ever seen in my life other than on tv or something. I mean the hottest chick I have ever actually met. She was a red head and her name was Miss Beck.

Anyway there was a part in the book when the guy told one of the girls in the book that he loved her and she stripped down naked because he said it. We were talking about that part in class and I spoke up and said, "I love you Miss Beck". The entire class busted out laughing but she did'nt think it was too funny. She was so mad.

Anyway back to books. I am a big fan of Stephen King and I have loved almost every one of his books. It or maybe The Dreamcatcher was my favorite. I also like western books pretty good also. There was an author but I can't think of he name that wrote Lonsome Dove and Anything For Billy and those were the two best western books I have ever read.

t2thejz
07-15-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by WeVie
I read A Brave New World when I was in high school. Not a bad read. It was my senior year and we had a student teacher and I think she is the hottest chick I have ever seen in my life other than on tv or something. I mean the hottest chick I have ever actually met. She was a red head and her name was Miss Beck.

Anyway there was a part in the book when the guy told one of the girls in the book that he loved her and she stripped down naked because he said it. We were talking about that part in class and I spoke up and said, "I love you Miss Beck". The entire class busted out laughing but she did'nt think it was too funny. She was so mad.

Anyway back to books. I am a big fan of Stephen King and I have loved almost every one of his books. It or maybe The Dreamcatcher was my favorite. I also like western books pretty good also. There was an author but I can't think of he name that wrote Lonsome Dove and Anything For Billy and those were the two best western books I have ever read. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Muck
07-15-2003, 10:44 AM
I read "Hatchet" in 5th grade.

Capt. Dick
07-15-2003, 11:13 AM
Two favorite: Shogun and The Red Dragon. I also like Stephen King`s books.

baccarat
07-15-2003, 01:32 PM
King's a greater writer. I liked The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon and loved Different Seasons. I'm also almost done with Saddam's Bombmaker: The Terrifying Inside Story of the Iraqi Nuclear and Biological Weapons Agenda which is a great spy/politcal book. To Kill a Mickingbird was a decent read. My Story in Baseball by Cobb is probably the best I've read so far, though. My only problem is that I'm a procrastinating reader.

Scrap
07-15-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Bobby Humphrey
i wish i could read so i could join in the chat, but....

Playboy, Penthouse, and Hustler are all great book's for us non-reading guys. They have lot's of good pictures for us to understand what the words are.:D

M-REAL
07-15-2003, 02:42 PM
Two books that still, to this day I haven't forgot about. 1)Stephen King's- The Stand and I would recommend this next book; if you've never read get it. Robert McCammon's -Swan Song; excellent reading, I couldn't put it down!

WeVie
07-15-2003, 03:24 PM
The Stand was a great read. It is one of my favorite King books but I did'nt like The Girl Who Liked Tom Gordon all that much. It did'nt hold my interest at all. I almost did'nt finsh it. It is had been a long book instead of being as short as it was I don't think I would have finshed it. One by King that I did'nt finsh was Gerald's Game. IMO that was his worse book ever.

Miamian
07-15-2003, 10:34 PM
The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas. I would put other things off to read it.

Also, the Singing Mountain by Sonia Levitan, just because she described scenes to which I personally relate.

WeVie
07-16-2003, 11:33 AM
Funny that we were talking about A Brave New World. The movie was on the Sci-Fi channel last night

M-REAL
07-16-2003, 12:03 PM
Gerald's Game was okay reading, IMO Rose Madder was boring and Insomnia never finished reading it. Most of his recent books I haven't read but personally I liked King's Gunslinger series. If you guys like fantasy(no perverts, not those kind) read Robert Jordan's stuff. Those are cool books.

M-REAL
07-16-2003, 12:10 PM
I never read Shogun, but I liked the movie. I have read some of Richard Preston's books- The Hot Zone and First Light. Now reading The Cobra Event by him.

WeVie
07-16-2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by marcusreal
Gerald's Game was okay reading, IMO Rose Madder was boring and Insomnia never finished reading it. Most of his recent books I haven't read but personally I liked King's Gunslinger series. If you guys like fantasy(no perverts, not those kind) read Robert Jordan's stuff. Those are cool books.

If you like King then read Dreamcatcher and Bag Of Bones. Those are two of his newer books and they were great.

MaxPower
07-17-2003, 01:02 PM
The People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn.

Really amazing. He retells everything so far, but instead of just listing preseidents & wars, he goes through what life was actually like for the people at the time, so you learn about strikes, labor leaders, popular figures, etc.

It's a big book, but reads fast. I've given it as a gift about 7 or 8 times now, & even the non-readers, non-history folks have told me they loved it.

Most...affecting....book I've read in 20 years.

That Best Democracy Money Can Buy is pretty good, too. You Florida folks ought to like the stuff about Katherine Harris & the changes to your voting laws...

M-REAL
07-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Wevie, my mom has a copy of Bag of Bones so I wll take your advice and read it when I'm done with the other one, thanx.

Dajesus
07-18-2003, 01:58 AM
Floraidians should like the book "Orange Crush" and just about every book that authur wrote(his name escapes me.)

baccarat
07-18-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by Dajesus
Floraidians should like the book "Orange Crush" and just about every book that authur wrote(his name escapes me.)

Ken Dorsey's brother, Tim.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0061031542/qid=1058509315/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/002-6898455-4188049?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

P4E
07-18-2003, 04:38 AM
A few years ago I discovered that my great great grandfather in my surname line had written an autobiography and an account of his travels from the U.S. to Europe and the Middle East in the 1840's. NO ONE in my family was aware of this, essentially because of a nasty divorce between my grandparents. 'Twas cool to get to read my ancestor's words and hear about his life experiences first-hand.

I wonder if any of you guys will cite my g-g-granddad's books as YOUR faves, too. ;)

Den54
07-18-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Dajesus

Damn someone beat me to it!! No I have'nt read this book but I'm currently reading HammerHead Motel by the same author Tim Dorsey. I also read one of his other books Fla RoadKill and it was an excellent read.

HammerHead Motel is a continuation of Florida RoadKill.

Muck you should read Fla Roadkill, you could check it out most likely at your public library. I did at mine.