PDA

View Full Version : does Russel = leaf and Quinn = Manning?

Dmarino110
04-25-2007, 09:38 PM
I was just watching nfl network and it was talking about draft busts. They were saying how Leaf was supposed to be the QB with more upside and a rocket arm while Manning was the finished (safer) guy.

Now all I hear is how Russel has more upside but how many seasons did he start? How many games did he play in that scouts can look at? He beat ND in a bowl Game last year, big deal, ND hasn't had a defense in years. Big arm, big late season game, more upside vs nfl ready smart player with all the arm he needs. SOunds just like comparisons of Leaf to Manning.

ohiobryan
04-25-2007, 09:44 PM
quinn will be like manning/brady he will be a bigtime star and in aqua and orange that's an order randy/cam.......

finfan54
04-25-2007, 10:04 PM
No way no how Russell = Leaf. First off, the talent here is obvious isnt it?

I watched Russell these past few years. He played in the tough SEC against some good defenses. Ive seen him play in tight games in the fourth quarter and lead his team for a TD and he was very cool and calm in the process. He has a little Joe Montana in him in that regard. I watched him particularly this year and it was obvious to me that even though he was only a junior, he was coming along and developing his game the way QB's should. let the game come to you and take what a defense gives you and then strike big when you know you got it.

Ryan Leaf was a headcase. thats it. a headcase. Jemarcus is no headcase.

fintip
04-25-2007, 10:08 PM
Russell = Leaf? :shakeno: I sometimes wonder...

ASUFinFan
04-25-2007, 10:33 PM
I am not a Russell fan, but that is just my personal opinion. I wouldnt choose him at 9 even.

JT#1
04-25-2007, 10:39 PM
i doubt Russell would be projected in the top half of the first round if he didn't have that good of a game in th sugar bowl.

miaD5499
04-25-2007, 10:50 PM
in general, everyone has been speculating who quinn and russel are going to turn out to be however the truth is they are unique players thats why they are in the position they are. you cant assume busts before they have even ever played a single game in the nfl, its all hype created by the media to bring more attention to the draft. players will be selected on saturday and nothing more...careers wont end or players wont be written off as busts until the season starts. anyways though to get back to the original purpose of this thread, russel and leaf are completely different qbs and even though their scouting reports may be similar the results will most likely have no comparison

pb1300
04-25-2007, 11:07 PM
I am not a Russell fan, but that is just my personal opinion. I wouldnt choose him at 9 even.

And thankfully we have Mueller as our GM. If Russell was available at nine, the Fins would be at the podium the moment they were up. No way they turn him down. He had a better completion % than Quinn, played in the toughest conference in the league, and will come into the NFL with the best arm in the game, the guy can throw it 80 yards on his backfoot. Im not proclaiming him to be the next Montana, but he is going to be a he!! of a QB.

finintheburgh
04-25-2007, 11:29 PM
And thankfully we have Mueller as our GM. If Russell was available at nine, the Fins would be at the podium the moment they were up. No way they turn him down. He had a better completion % than Quinn, played in the toughest conference in the league, and will come into the NFL with the best arm in the game, the guy can throw it 80 yards on his backfoot. Im not proclaiming him to be the next Montana, but he is going to be a he!! of a QB.

all reports ive heard say we dont like him. hes not a cam type. if he was there at nine and brady wasnt i would rather us trade down with some fool that would want him.

you cant judge a qb based solely on his arm. montana didnt have a great arm, neither does brady. brains are what the qb position is all about.

i can see the comparasions between leaf and russel, if you look at what they brought to the table when they were being drafted. now im not saying russel will turn out like leaf, but i can see him turning into a huge bust.

ASUFinFan
04-25-2007, 11:43 PM

I disagree. To each his own. Completion percentage is impacted by those around you. As for the toughest conference? What about all the mac qb's of late? And he does have the strongest arm in this draft, but how many times is he going to throw it 80 yards? Also, a qb is never supposed to throw it off of is backfoot.

ASUFinFan
04-25-2007, 11:46 PM
all reports ive heard say we dont like him. hes not a cam type. if he was there at nine and brady wasnt i would rather us trade down with some fool that would want him.

you cant judge a qb based solely on his arm. montana didnt have a great arm, neither does brady. brains are what the qb position is all about.

i can see the comparasions between leaf and russel, if you look at what they brought to the table when they were being drafted. now im not saying russel will turn out like leaf, but i can see him turning into a huge bust.

Exactly. It's either Quinn, Beck, Kolb as qbs we might draft. In that order I hope. They are perfect qb's for Cam's system.

allred65
04-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Brady Quinn = Rick Mirer

ASUFinFan
04-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Brady Quinn = Rick Mirer

Why is this?

LightsOut
04-26-2007, 12:56 AM
Why is this?

makes as much sense as comparing russell to leaf.

chillyphins
04-26-2007, 09:22 AM
i doubt Russell would be projected in the top half of the first round if he didn't have that good of a game in th sugar bowl.

Yeah but would Vince Young have projected to top 3 if he didn't have the big National Championship game two years ago....he seems to be doing alright!

Dmarino110
04-26-2007, 09:59 AM
I asked the question because the media is giving him all the same comparisons. He has a rocket arm and can pass 80 yards off his back foot. He has more upside to quinn. We havent seen him play his best games yet. Hes more physical then quinn. This is all the same $#!t that they said about leaf when he was entering the draft. they were comparing him to the smarter (football smarts anyways) more polished Manning.

Now you have to answer these questions. If he doesnt play the sugar bowl the way he did would he still be projected as better then quinn? Is this all hype that is built due to the fact that many people hate elite programs like ND (they arent #1 but they have the past and that big TV contract). I know people that hate ND and love UF even though they have no connections with either of the schools.

Remember what got Rush fired from ESPN?

finally I have to say Im not a fan of the runners or the big guys (some that balloon to 300 pounds) that think they can run because every single one of them gets hurt. I dont want someone whos gonna try for 20 yards. I want someone who might take off for 5 and then slide before he has a defender anywhere near him.

Dmarino110
04-26-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah but would Vince Young have projected to top 3 if he didn't have the big National Championship game two years ago....he seems to be doing alright!

how many years did young start? How many years did russel start? How many years did manning start? how many years did quinn start?

rafael
04-26-2007, 10:44 AM
I don't equate Leaf/Manning with Russell/Quinn at all. Leaf's main problem was personality (dealing w/pressure) which isn't Russell's knock. And everybody equates the "can't win big games" knock that both Manning and Quinn has and thinks that makes them similar. However, they are not the only QBs to have that knock. The better comparison is Chriss Simms=Brady Quinn.

LightsOut
04-26-2007, 11:39 AM
how many years did young start? How many years did russel start?

young and russell both got starts their redshirt freshmen year and became full time starters their sophmore and junior years.

juniorseau55
04-26-2007, 11:47 AM
I agree, I think Russell will be a bust. He has trouble reading defenses sometimes. College is a different ballgame the nfl is faster tougher and smarter and Russell is not what you think he is.

mf52dolphin
04-26-2007, 12:16 PM
Actually Quinn=Joey Harrington, Russell=Dante Culpepper(which Culpepper is the question):tongue:

fintip
04-26-2007, 09:40 PM
haha. Russell has some very intriguing qualities. The kid has a lot going for him. I have the opposite point of view than you. I'm not a Quinn fan and I wouldn't take him with the ninth. He's 17th on my value board, and I'm thinking it's too high.

fintip
04-26-2007, 09:52 PM
I disagree. To each his own. Completion percentage is impacted by those around you. As for the toughest conference? What about all the mac qb's of late? And he does have the strongest arm in this draft, but how many times is he going to throw it 80 yards? Also, a qb is never supposed to throw it off of is backfoot.
He has more than just the strongest arm in this draft. NFL people have been wowed by his arm the same way they were when Elway came out. There is a lot more to a QB's success than his arm strength but that doesn't mean Russell doessn't have those other qualities. Some people are thinking that he just has a strong arm. He can make all the throws and he is very accurate. Extremely accurate. His natural abilities will compensate for his unfamiliarity with the NFl early on in his career, and I think he will have success. He's a a great learner. Don't worry about the back foot thing either. Martinez isn't.:wink:

KnifeOfTheDead
04-26-2007, 11:21 PM
I was watching that too. Then I thought that Leaf was actually good for the team because they got LT when he left and began a dynasty.

allred65
04-27-2007, 12:10 AM
makes as much sense as comparing russell to leaf.

You got it.