PDA

View Full Version : Miami Herald: Raiders leaning toward CJ

jim1
04-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Dolfans should root for Oakland to take Johnson

Got a call from a friend who works at ESPN last night -- a prominent on-air personality, by the way -- and he was telling me that the through its various NFL sources, there is a thinking at the World Wide Leader that the Raiders first-round pick will be Calvin Johnson.

Not JaMarcus Russell.

The sources say the Raiders are not convinced Russell, for all his considerable talents and extraordinary potential, is a good fit as a west coast offense quarterback. They also contend that that Johnson is simply rated higher on the Oakland board than Russell and that the team can always use their first pick of the second round to get a quarterback like Stanford's Trent Edwards or BYU's John Beck.

So how does that affect the Dolphins, you ask?

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/2007/04/dolfans-should-root-for-oakland-to-take.html

fishypete
04-26-2007, 09:40 AM
It could mean that the Dolphins trade up with Washington for Russell.

Motion
04-26-2007, 09:43 AM

Lets hope not.

Definitely like to have the Raiders take CJ though.

jim1
04-26-2007, 09:44 AM

I'd rather see a trade down to take Beck than a trade up for Russell. I get the feeling that he's not Cameron's type of QB.

PhinGeneral
04-26-2007, 09:46 AM

I doubt it though. From what I've read and heard the Browns supposedly like Russell even more than they do Quinn.

fishypete
04-26-2007, 09:51 AM
I doubt it though. From what I've read and heard the Browns supposedly like Russell even more than they do Quinn.

Don't believe everything you hear...If the Browns take anyone...they'll take Quinn.

PhinGeneral
04-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Don't believe everything you hear...If the Browns take anyone...they'll take Quinn.

And you know this how?

Captain Lou
04-26-2007, 09:56 AM

Crennel has just as many ties to, and information about Quinn as we do. If they go qb it's Quinn.

Motion
04-26-2007, 09:56 AM

I'll apply your first comment to the rest of it. :wink:

Motion
04-26-2007, 09:57 AM
Crennel has just as many ties to, and information about Quinn as we do. If they go qb it's Quinn.

And their GM and Owner have even better ties to Russell.

fishypete
04-26-2007, 09:57 AM
And you know this how?

If he didn't...Weiss won't be sending him any Christmas cards from now on....:D

SuperMarksBros.
04-26-2007, 09:58 AM
And you know this how?
he doesnt. neither do you. neither do i or mike mayock or john clayton or mel kyper. everyone who is not in team ownership or in the front office is speculating.

nobody knows who's going anywhere. the closer you get to the draft, the the thicker the smokescreens become.

PHINishinStrong
04-26-2007, 10:00 AM

And did you also hear that the Gm for the browns is very close friends with Jemarcus Russel??? I bet you money they take Peterson or Russel over Quinn....

fishypete
04-26-2007, 10:00 AM
he doesnt. neither do you. neither do i or mike mayock or john clayton or mel kyper. everyone who is not in team ownership or in the front office is speculating.

nobody knows who's going anywhere. the closer you get to the draft, the the thicker the smokescreens become.

I totally agree...but we can do what everyone else is doing...guess.

BLITZKRIEG
04-26-2007, 10:01 AM
With only two days before the draft, and all of these rumors being spread around, I don't know what to believe anymore....

Nobody knows anything really, they might have an idea of what could happen, but nobody knows for certain what the Raiders will do....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

fishypete
04-26-2007, 10:01 AM
And did you also hear that the Gm for the browns is very close friends with Jemarcus Russel??? I bet you money they take Peterson or Russel over Quinn....

They may not take Peterson because of his collarbone injury...if he can't play right away.

Mr772
04-26-2007, 10:07 AM
They may not take Peterson because of his collarbone injury...if he can't play right away.

He has already played in a college game since the injury what makes you think he will not be able to play by this fall??

ottie35
04-26-2007, 10:08 AM
id love jamarcus to fall to us, that wont happen at 9, so we would have to move up.

fishypete
04-26-2007, 10:08 AM
He has already played in a college game since the injury what makes you think he will not be able to play by this fall??

I believe Rodgers is a good example of why....and a running back thats runs high...gets hit alot more than a receiver.

23RB23
04-26-2007, 10:10 AM

Peterson reinjured his collar bone in that game. They just leaked it yesterday. He wont be able to participate in full workouts until the summer they are saying and that's why his stock is dropping.

dgb11112
04-26-2007, 10:11 AM
Why is everyone here so hi on beck? Edwards and Stanton are both rated Higher. As far as better tools I would say Edwards.

Captain Lou
04-26-2007, 10:12 AM

How much money are we talking, jk. The dream is over Quinn will not be a dolphin. Everybody who wants him, and thinks he'll fall to us opinion is supported by the weak argument "how do you know". I dont know, but it's an educated guess. The likelyhood Quinn falls to us is not very good. I shook and shook the magic eight ball, and I kept getting the same answer. "Outlook not good". Sorry fellas the magic eight ball knows all.

tmny99
04-26-2007, 10:14 AM

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Browns GM Phil Savage has known Russell since he was 14. I think there's more there than people know.

Spicy Henne
04-26-2007, 10:16 AM
Peterson reinjured his collar bone in that game. They just leaked it yesterday. He wont be able to participate in full workouts until the summer they are saying and that's why his stock is dropping.

This bowl game injury doesn't make sense to me. If he reinjured his collarbone so severely in the bowl game, as to prevent him from participating in offseason workouts, then how is it he worked out so well at the combine and his pro day?

This is a pretty clear example of a team or teams trying to push Peterson down the board

jim1
04-26-2007, 10:20 AM
Why is everyone here so hi on beck? Edwards and Stanton are both rated Higher. As far as better tools I would say Edwards.

Don't be so sure about that. I've already seen stories about the Rams, Lions, and Raiders being interested (the Rams trading up into the lower part of round 1 to get him) and I think that the Bears at #31 would make sense, too.

fishypete
04-26-2007, 10:21 AM
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Browns GM Phil Savage has known Russell since he was 14. I think there's more there than people know.

The Browns have to win now...between Quinn and Russell...Quinn is the most ready....but Russell has the most up side...can the Browns wait a year for Russell...I doubt it....and Quinn is a local boy...that would sell uniforms and other stuff....Money talks...in football.

PhinGeneral
04-26-2007, 10:27 AM

Yes, we all know that. I just wanted to know the reasoning behind Pete's claim.

LJK825
04-26-2007, 10:42 AM

Got a call from a friend who works at ESPN last night -- a prominent on-air personality, by the way -- and he was telling me that the through its various NFL sources, there is a thinking at the World Wide Leader that the Raiders first-round pick will be Calvin Johnson.

Not JaMarcus Russell.

The sources say the Raiders are not convinced Russell, for all his considerable talents and extraordinary potential, is a good fit as a west coast offense quarterback. They also contend that that Johnson is simply rated higher on the Oakland board than Russell and that the team can always use their first pick of the second round to get a quarterback like Stanford's Trent Edwards or BYU's John Beck.

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/2007/04/dolfans-should-root-for-oakland-to-take.html

Strange, I dont doubt what you herd but I just saw Clayton on ESPN this morning say that the Raiders will take Russell because they would not have resolved their QB situation by then.

MrEd
04-26-2007, 10:57 AM

Not JaMarcus Russell.

Having a TEDD GINN JR at #9 or via trade down with CAR at #14 party on Saturday! Let's go Mueller!

Bikinibottom
04-26-2007, 11:03 AM
This is awesome:

Raiders: Calvin Johnson
Lions: Gains Adams
Browns: Adrian Peterson
Bucs: Jamarcus Russell
Arizona: Joe Thomas
Dolphins trade with Washington (9th pick 2A second rount 4A 4th RD)

PETE ROZELLE GOES TO THE PODIUM:

WITH THE 6TH SELECTION IN THE 2007 DRAFT, THE MIAMI DOLPHINS SELECT NOTRE DAME QUARTERBACK BRADY QUINN.

I then cream my shorts.

jim1
04-26-2007, 11:08 AM
This is awesome:

Raiders: Calvin Johnson
Lions: Gains Adams
Browns: Adrian Peterson
Bucs: Jamarcus Russell
Arizona: Joe Thomas
Dolphins trade with Washington (9th pick 2A second rount 4A 4th RD)

PETE ROZELLE GOES TO THE PODIUM:

WITH THE 6TH SELECTION IN THE 2007 DRAFT, THE MIAMI DOLPHINS SELECT NOTRE DAME QUARTERBACK BRADY QUINN.

I then cream my shorts.

If Pete Rozelle goes to the podium I think that it will be in some sort of memorial urn. Maybe they'll sprinkle a few ashes outside of Radio City Music Hall.

fishypete
04-26-2007, 11:11 AM
If Pete Rozelle goes to the podium I think that it will be in some sort of memorial urn. Maybe they'll sprinkle a few ashes outside of Radio City Music Hall.

Maybe they'll snort them? :sidelol:

LarryFinFan
04-26-2007, 11:13 AM

Nah...In this scenario, Cleveland would jump on Russell. Quinn is the hometown boy, but Russell has much more upside. Besides, If they draft Quinn, he is likely to start day one which Crennel knows is not the best thing. There'd be more pressure on him to pick and start Russell and hope that his athleticism can get him thru the storm of his first season. Also, with Russell, I think he gets more time to keep his job. With Quinn, he'd be expected to start day one and win day one...

fishypete
04-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Nah...In this scenario, Cleveland would jump on Russell. Quinn is the hometown boy, but Russell has much more upside. Besides, If they draft Quinn, he is likely to start day one which Crennel knows is not the best thing. There'd be more pressure on him to pick and start Russell and hope that his athleticism can get him thru the storm of his first season. Also, with Russell, I think he gets more time to keep his job. With Quinn, he'd be expected to start day one and win day one...

If the Guy doesn't start winning...he's going to be out of a job...Savage also...let me see...Quinn can start...Russell maybe next year....now who do I take? Quinn was taught by Weiss...a old friend....are you going to not take a Weiss QB? I still see Cleveland taking Quinn...especially since the story about Peterson's collarbone has come out...but who knows...we'll find out Saturday.

kkcow15
04-26-2007, 11:44 AM

phil savage has known jamarcus since high school and he makes personnel calls, not crennel. crennel is on the hot seat and probably wont be there next year. savage is the caretaker of the franchise, and he will take russel over quinn 10 times out of 10 if given the oppurtunity.

kkcow15
04-26-2007, 11:47 AM
If the Guy doesn't start winning...he's going to be out of a job...Savage also...let me see...Quinn can start...Russell maybe next year....now who do I take? Quinn was taught by Weiss...a old friend....are you going to not take a Weiss QB? I still see Cleveland taking Quinn...especially since the story about Peterson's collarbone has come out...but who knows...we'll find out Saturday.

neither can start right away. crennel does not make personnel decisions and the owner is not touching the decision and allowing savage to take who he wants. he knows russel and he will select him over brady quinn if given the oppurtunity. jamarcus is also a good fit for their offense, and its not like they run the west coast or anything. he has the long ball that he can deliver to their playmakers like winslow and edwards that can stretch the field.

BigScuingili
04-26-2007, 12:18 PM
I am still not convinced that Lions don't take a QB with the 2nd pick. That is one glaring need right now on that team for the future. Can't count on Kitna much longer. And ther is always the possibility that Cleveland takes Quinn over Russell. This sucks in all kinds of way because it is not like last season where the big 3 QB's could have all gone early, but teams had greater needs. Now that there really is only a big 2, you can justify the top 3 teams needing qb's just as bad as we do.