PDA

View Full Version : McGlockton signs with the Jets

MDFINFAN
07-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Veteran departs Denver for Jets' one-year deal

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

Desperate for help at defensive tackle, the New York Jets signed former Broncos defensive tackle Chester McGlockton to a one-year, $780,000 contract.

The deal included a $25,000 signing bonus.

Defensive tackle Josh Evans' indefinite drug suspension and the likely holdout of first-round draft choice Dewayne Robertson created the Jets' serious need for a veteran tackle.

Veteran departs Denver for Jets' one-year deal (http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/clayton_john/1580990.html)

Muck
07-15-2003, 05:35 PM
DOH!! This guy is better than Evans. Is he still??

CirclingWagons
07-15-2003, 05:36 PM
very good pickup by them, whether you guys like it or not, adams for Bills and Chester for Jets will be very important in a divsion with running backs such as ricky, curtis, and travis...

CirclingWagons
07-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Muck
DOH!! This guy is better than Evans. Is he still??
i don't know, evans can roll a mean blunt:lol:

zach13
07-15-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by CirclingWagons
very good pickup by them, whether you guys like it or not, adams for Bills and Chester for Jets will be very important in a divsion with running backs such as ricky, curtis, and travis...

Chester is a good pick-up, but Adams is a fat tub of crap

Cranx
07-15-2003, 06:07 PM
McGlockton!?! This is awesome news because they just picked up a fat, underachieving, overhyped, lazy, malcontent piece of crap. I happen to believe he'll be a perfect fit on the Jets roster. :lol:

Muck
07-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Apparently, he's motivated again.

Emskirch
07-15-2003, 06:28 PM

I do agree... yuck, agreeing with a Bills fan... let me go shower :lol:

dolfan4good
07-15-2003, 06:44 PM
I hate to say this but, statisticaly, McGlockton played as well as Larry Chester and better than Tim Bowens last year. He's an 11 year veteran that, when correctly motivated, can cause double teams in the middle. This means free LB's ready to hit RW.

I think it was a very good pick up for the very fast planes, especially since they expect their #1 pick to hold out.

DENVERDOLFAN
07-15-2003, 06:46 PM
I see plenty of McGlockton up here and he is very inconsistent. I imagine it has something to do with his advancing age and the fact that he has always been one to take plays off. He still has the ability to make plays, but it seems fewer and further in between. I think Clayton sums it up pretty well. The Jets are desperate.

DENVERDOLFAN
07-15-2003, 06:49 PM
I don't think you can judge defensive tackles on statistics. The Broncos were not interested in bringing him back at any price. He was once a very solid (and slightly overrated) player with the Raiders. Those days are gone.

dolfan4good
07-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by DENVERDOLFAN
I see plenty of McGlockton up here and he is very inconsistent. I imagine it has something to do with his advancing age and the fact that he has always been one to take plays off. He still has the ability to make plays, but it seems fewer and further in between. I think Clayton sums it up pretty well. The Jets are desperate.

He has just as many tackles (37) as Chester and more than Bowens. He also had 2 sacks. Maybe he doesn't get the big play as much because he takes on two linemen like Bowens does. I don't know the answer to that. Is this the case DENVERDOLFAN?

DENVERDOLFAN
07-15-2003, 06:58 PM
If your going to go strictly by statistics, Zgonina should be starting in front of Chester and Bowens. Chester and Bowens stats are Zach Thomas' tackles. They don't play on passing downs. Believe me, they are far better players than McGlockton.

dolfan4good
07-15-2003, 07:18 PM
You're right. Zgonina's numbers are just as good. That bodes well for us depth wise!

Prime Time
07-15-2003, 07:33 PM

C-Mart is overrated. Where was he last year?

Muck
07-15-2003, 07:42 PM
In all fairness, Martin had two bad ankles last year.

HugeFinFan
07-15-2003, 08:34 PM
C- Mac can be good at times. His play can be very closely related to the play of Sam Adams. At times he can look very good and make plays, but then he'll be known to take plays, series , and even QAURTERS off. So I just see this as a decent pickup for a team that needed a DT badly. His conditioning is a major factor for his success, not to mention his motivation.. he's not the player he once was.

RUDEbyallMEANS
07-15-2003, 08:41 PM
Martin is not as good as everyone says he is.. I respect him for his play last year because of his play last year with the ankles and everything.. But this guy just does not dazzle anyone and should be the one rushing for 2,000 yards a season with that Offensive Line.. Curtis rushed for 1500+ yards in 2001 and that was all the by-product of his o-line.. Curtis is a solid north to south runner, but he's not explosive..

ckparrothead
07-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Just because Curtis Martin doesn't create a bunch of highlight reel Barry Sanders runs, doesn't mean the guy isn't very very very good. He is extremely good, extremely quick, excellent at changing directions, great hands, and his instincts and body control are some of the best in the entire NFL bar none.

Sorry but you're just way off Rude.

Anyway, McGlockton is not on the same level as even Sam Adams, let alone Larry Chester or Tim Bowens. If this had happened right at the beginning of free agency I might have been a little worried, but here we are on the 11th hour and the only reason this aged lazy piece of crap is even on a roster if because Josh Evans got suspended indefinitely. The Broncos signed him to a decent contract and it was supposed to be a heck of a boon for them. It wasn't. Not down the stretch anyway. They had an awesome run defense the first half of the season, but it was because of their extremely fast and productive linebackers, and playing Trevor Pryce at DE which turned out to be quite a coup (makes ya think DW had the right idea with DG moving to DE). The Broncos were not interested in the least in bringing him back, and no other team in the league was interested in signing him. That, and his veteran's minimum contract, should really tell us all we need to know about him. He was always a bunch of talent wrapped in a lazy inconsistent package with attitude problems. Now he's old, and pretty much all thats left are the laziness, inconsistency, and attitude...with a little sprinkle of talent every now and then.

The only reason the Jets didn't sign back DT Steve Martin instead of McGlockton is because Steve burned his bridges with a lot of those teammates and coaches over in Jersey. The fact that Chester was option 2 to Steve Martin's 1, should also tell us all we need to know.

NYFCat
07-15-2003, 11:50 PM
McGlockton has been on the waiver wire this long and hasn't gotten a sniff because he is a lazy, 2-down player who makes the players around him lazier. Still, he and Adams have always given our OLmen fits. Against the Broncos and Raiders, those two gave Perry and Ruddy fits all day. When Ruddy and Perry aren't lining up across 330 pound run stuffers like McGlockton and Adams, they are effective players who play at a Pro Bowl level. If they have to knock a guy like this straight off the ball, they'll struggle.

MOULDSROCKS
07-15-2003, 11:52 PM
Bowens = God
McGlokton = Stupid lazy fat *** who can't do crap
Adams = same as Chester

DUH!

J-E-T-S
07-16-2003, 12:01 AM
While he may no longer be a Pro-Bowler, McGlockton is a important pickup for the Jets because it fits a NEED. Right now they only have 1 DT with starting experience, and a rookie who will hopefully produce. Even if Robertson plays great, depth is still needed, and I am pleased with this signing. By the way never EVER say that Curtis Martin is overrated. This man has had a tremendous career thus far, is tough as nails, and is a great leader. He had 2 bad ankles last year, but didn't sit out a game. He finished 2nd in the league in rushing 2 years ago, and someone is saying he should have had 2000 yards? Do you realize how stupid that comment is? Out of 31 teams, he was leading all of them going into the last game, but because he had a good O-Linhe should have set the NFL record? OK buddy. ( Sorry for getting upset).

DolphinDevil28
07-16-2003, 01:09 AM
As much as I hate to say this, Curtis Martin over his carreer has been underrated.

gunn34
07-16-2003, 03:41 AM
McGlockton is about 50 pounds over weight and has no motovation left. He will not work out on their D-line. This doesn't bother the Phins.:o

Surferosa
07-16-2003, 03:59 AM
Folks, this is a terriffic signing for the Jets. One year, paracitally no signing bonus and a ton of upside. If he regains his old form, they walk away with a pro bowl caliber DT that can change the face of a game. If hes a lazy malcontent, then hell sit on the bench while Ferguson and Robertson man the middle.

I dont get you guys.

gunn34
07-16-2003, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by Surferosa
Folks, this is a terriffic signing for the Jets. One year, paracitally no signing bonus and a ton of upside. If he regains his old form, they walk away with a pro bowl caliber DT that can change the face of a game. If hes a lazy malcontent, then hell sit on the bench while Ferguson and Robertson man the middle.

I dont get you guys.

I agree with you Surferosa. I just don't think he'll regain his old form. Rickey needn't be worried.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-16-2003, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
Bowens = God
McGlokton = Stupid lazy fat *** who can't do crap
Adams = same as Chester

DUH!

You misspelled the word good.

MDFINFAN
07-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by gunn34

I agree with you Surferosa. I just don't think he'll regain his old form. Rickey needn't be worried.

It's not Ricky who have to worry, it's Ruddy and Todd, as NYCat states Ruddy and Todd have trouble with DT's of this size, it's hard to move fat tubes like this in the beginning of the game, generally you have let the quarters take care of them...they usually wear down. But that waiting part allows LB's to be a big part of the D..Ricky will have to worry about them..not Big Mac.

gunn34
07-16-2003, 10:05 AM
Do you think Ruddy will still be the starting Center? I'm thinking it's time for Seth to step up. Maybe he will have better luck with the big guys.

iceblizzard69
07-16-2003, 11:25 AM
McGlockton has done nothing this whole offseason. He probably won't be able to get into playing shape by the start of the season. Another great signing by the Jets. I now give their offseason an A+. :lol: :rolleyes2

Pagan
07-16-2003, 12:39 PM
Quotes From today's NY Daily News:

"The Jets better hope McGlockton spends the money on salad and Slim-Fast. They refused to reveal his weight — "It's up there," coach Herman Edwards said — but a source said it's close to 375. " :lol:

"McGlockton, who turns 34 in September, is so out of shape he won't accompany the team on its five-day trip to Tokyo, where the Jets open the preseason Aug. 2 against the Bucs. He will stay behind to work on his conditioning. There's also a good chance he will miss the second game.

McGlockton, a four-time Pro Bowl selection with the Raiders in the mid-1990s, won't participate in full-scale workouts when the Jets open training camp Monday at Hofstra. He's not in practice shape, let alone game shape."

"McGlockton didn't participate in an offseason program, which explains the extra flab. After being released by the Broncos last February, he considered retiring to run his Fatburger fast-food franchises in Denver" - Maybe he should stay as far away from fast food as possible, no? :lol:

"McGlockton's arrival could spark a mini-controversy. Before signing, he insisted on wearing his old number, 91, which belongs to Evans. Edwards may have to intervene." - Ah...nothing like being a malcontent from the get-go, huh? Way to go Jetsies...nice pickup! :lol:

DENVERDOLFAN
07-16-2003, 12:49 PM
His departure has barely registered a blip on the radar screen in Denver. He will not be missed here, nor should anyone in N.Y. be excited.

IceStorm
07-16-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Surferosa

I dont get you guys.

Well, this might help put the finger on the button:

Jets | McGlockton Won't Be Ready by Training Camp - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:04:08 -0700

The Bergen Record reports New York Jets DT Chester McGlockton will not be ready to practice when training camp begins Monday, July 21. According to Jets head coach Herman Edwards, McGlockton has not been in an off-season program in over 2 months.

This tells me a lot. He didn't do anything this offseason which says that he wasn't even considering either playing or giving any effort during the offseason. Lazy? Eh, thats one word you could use. But I don't see this signing being anything other then a mistake waiting to happen.

M-REAL
07-16-2003, 01:00 PM
Agree with CK, Martin is a banger but he will be pushed for playing time by LaMont Jordan.

RUDEbyallMEANS
07-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by ckparrothead
Just because Curtis Martin doesn't create a bunch of highlight reel Barry Sanders runs, doesn't mean the guy isn't very very very good. He is extremely good, extremely quick, excellent at changing directions, great hands, and his instincts and body control are some of the best in the entire NFL bar none.

Sorry but you're just way off Rude.

I just do not see it when he plays.. He's nothing special.. If he was he would be putting up alot more yards with all those carries with that Offensive Line.. I'm not going to bring up any stats or anything.. This is just about how I feel when I see him play.. Nothing special to me..

nyrican
07-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Ok so i'll bring up some stats, I feel like most of the posters on this board that Curtis Martin is UNDERATED

1998 - PRESENT NYJ 6,562 YARDS, 39 TDS

1998 - 1287 YARDS
1999 - 1464 YARDS
2000 - 1204 YARDS
2001- 1513 YARDS
2002 1094 YARDS

WITH THE JETS HE IS NUMBER 2 ON THE ALL TIME LIST , AND THE PATS HE IS NUMBER FOUR ON THE ALL TIME LIST.

To say that Curtis Martin is nothing special is absurd, I might be wrong on this stat but Curtis Martin is the only back in NFL History to rush for more then 1200 yards for seven consective years...

but this is my opinion you are entitled to yours as well rudebyallmeans...

ckparrothead
07-16-2003, 03:20 PM
Agree with CK, Martin is a banger but he will be pushed for playing time by LaMont Jordan.

No offense Marcus, but I dont think you're agreeing with me TOO much, cuz I don't think there's any way in sam he|| that Lamont Jordan is able to push a guy like Curtis Martin for playing time.

Anyway, this news about McGlockton is just plain HILARIOUS. I cant wait to see how the Jets fans spin this one. The guy hasn't been working out for 2 months, is up to 375 lbs, and he's so out of shape he cant even PRACTICE!!! Let alone play in preseason games. But oh yeah the Phins need to be REAL worried about this one! Hahaha.

Ruddy and Perry will have no problems with this fat slob whatsoever. When they faced Denver, they had a lot of other things to worry about and it wasn't McGlockton that was responsible for stopping Ricky. It had a lot more to do with the rest of that DL and those very fast and aggressive linebackers. Their linebackers are so aggressive and penetrating it should have made them susceptible to play-action but our passing game wasn't up to scratch in 2002.

What I find funny too is the original article that Clayton wrote...

"Desperate for help at defensive tackle, the New York Jets signed former Broncos defensive tackle Chester McGlockton to a one-year, $780,000 contract.

The deal included a $25,000 signing bonus.

Defensive tackle Josh Evans' indefinite drug suspension and the likely holdout of first-round draft choice Dewayne Robertson created the Jets' serious need for a veteran tackle."

So not only are the Jets going to miss McGlockton for a good part of training camp because he is not in "practice shape" and not only will he miss 2 preseason games...but Dwayne Robertson is EXPECTED to hold out from training camp as well.

Conditioning at the DT position for the Jets will be at an all-time low I guess.

DENVERDOLFAN
07-16-2003, 03:24 PM
This thread is strangely mixing comments on one of the most underrated and one of the most overrated players of the last decade. Curtis Martin is a warrior, and we would love him if he was a phin. McGlockton is a player that would have been perfect for Shula's last Dolphin team (great talent, no desire).

Agua
07-16-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

I just do not see it when he plays.. He's nothing special.. If he was he would be putting up alot more yards with all those carries with that Offensive Line.. I'm not going to bring up any stats or anything.. This is just about how I feel when I see him play.. Nothing special to me..

I know EXACTLY what you're saying; just watching him, he looks like nothing special. I made the identical comment several years back when he was with the Patsies. But somehow, SOMEWAY, the guy manages to get the yards, even though he looks awfully unspectacular doing it. Credit to CM there.

War Chief
07-16-2003, 04:12 PM
Let me clue all present about Chet McCancer. While he was in KC, I and many of my Chiefs brethren called him "1st and 5" McGlockton because of his ability to jump offsides 4 or 5 times a game. He can be dominant when he is focused and tries but that is rarely the case. Generally, he only tries to play in about half of the plays he participates in. He is also a locker room cancer. The only good news for the Jets is that they got him cheap. Maybe Edwards can motivate the tub of goo but I seriously doubt it.

Muck
07-16-2003, 04:25 PM
I feel better now. Not only from the above post.....but because Mad Dog was going on about how UNimpressed he was by this move. :)

CirclingWagons
07-16-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Muck
I feel better now. Not only from the above post.....but because Mad Dog was going on about how UNimpressed he was by this move. :)
in his immortal words, AU-RIGHT!

Muck
07-16-2003, 04:40 PM
Hehe....Mad Dog was pretty good today. Says he's extremely fired up about the Phins. Said he couldn't wait to let out a "AU-RIGHT MIAMI". :)