PDA

View Full Version : Your Thoughts

!!Wolf!!
04-26-2007, 03:38 PM
Finally I decided to take a chance with my first HDTV. I did my research but as always choices were limited (availibilty, price, size, etc.) but I went with Sony's KDL40V2500. SO...I want to use the HDMI but unfortunatly I don't have an Elite yet nor do I plan on getting one too soon. So for those who have an HDTV, what settings do you use to get the most out of your TV and/or 360? Cables? Do you own the HD-DVD player and if you do, was it worth it i.e. does it upscale well enough? Just want to experience the Full gaming experience that some enjoy. Thanks in advance!!

Phin-o-rama
04-26-2007, 04:18 PM
40" 1080p lcd NICE>...

i use vga from my 360 to my lcd, because it will do 1080p OVER vga, and component....i prefer the vga crispness myself on my personal display....

component cables will give you 1080p for games only.....and only to 480p upscaling for dvd's.....vga gives me 1080p for games, and up to 720p for dvd's (maybe 1080i)....and hd-dvd to 1080p....

does your tv have vga? need to find out if it will display 1080p over component or vga...or if its hdmi only.

!!Wolf!!
04-27-2007, 06:05 AM
I do have a VGA input. But I heard that it displays "Washed out" colors. My Tv only goes up to 1080i over component (still cant see the difference over 720p). Its doesnt state anything about 1080p over VGA...I guess I'll be calling to see if it does. And you mentioned the HD-DVD...was it worth it? I mean do you feel it was a good purchase and all? Thinking bout getting one but also want to get a HTIB that uses a HDMI but they only play DVDs.

Phin-o-rama
04-27-2007, 09:01 AM
mmm the hd-dvd add on is OK.....when you actually use it to watch an hd-dvd the picture is phenomenal....it also plays regular dvd's and will upscale to w/e depending on how you have it hooked up.

yes, i would call and find out about which imputs can accept and display 1080p.....as far as vga being washed out, i would say that varies by display....i mean my westy, there are many that use vga...i found a whole thread about that display over at avsforums.com.....snap ill try to find your tv over there..

Phin-o-rama
04-27-2007, 09:16 AM
ok, well i just read someone post that the sony will only accept/display 1080p signal over HDMI....well in a way that sucks because you would need an xbox 360 ELITE to get hdmi......BUT dont fret!! your tv is high quality sony bravia, and I bet dollars to donuts that your display at 1080i for 360 will look awesome...

your tv is high quality so the interlacer is probably very good, and you won't see ghosting on 1080i......if i were you i would use component cables, and run at 1080i and see if you get any 'ghosting' on fast paced stuff...if you do just drop it back down to 720p...

edit: hrmm...just found this which contradicts....they are saying you can get 1080p over vga with your display.....i might would call dude... http://forums.xbox.com/PrintPost.aspx?PostID=8857478

!!Wolf!!
04-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Just got off with Sony Support...I guess it is only HDMI. Oh well...I guess I can hope to get an XBOX Elite down the line...when kinks are out of it too. So the HD-DVD player is also out since I won't get 1080p. Thanks though!