PDA

View Full Version : Peter King's 1st Round Mock: Fins trade up for Thomas

LouPhinFan
04-27-2007, 01:11 PM
King's mock is out on CNNSI.com

He has us trading up with AZ so we can draft Joe Thomas. Interesting since I have not heard that one before...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/27/mock.part1/index.html

fishypete
04-27-2007, 01:14 PM
I doubt you'll hear it again too.

FinAtic8480
04-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Wouldnt that be nice and I think we would all be happy. Mueller has done it before with Walter Jones.

Roman529
04-27-2007, 01:15 PM
I wonder what we would do if we traded up to #5 and Thomas and Quinn were both there...I think we have to go with Quinn, but I know Thomas will be an all-pro LT for 10+ years. I just think there is a better chance that we trade down than we trade up. I think it all depends what Cleveland does with the 3rd pick. :err:

The Aqua Crush
04-27-2007, 01:17 PM
That would be awesome. If were gonna trade up I hope its for Thomas. We have had qb issues for years and much of that stems from a weak O line. We need one stud in there to solve that problem and get better results from whichever qb is thrown in there. Thomas would fixthat position for years to come.

Then look at round two for a grooming qb. Damon huard sucked for us then all of a sudden found all that talent with KC last year. No it was a huge difference for production from marginal qbs having a great line compared to having a terrible line. Lets fix one problem at a time.

kashbo
04-27-2007, 01:21 PM
if that would happen I would draft thomas that would be awesome

dgb11112
04-27-2007, 01:23 PM
He would solidify our O line for years.

jdang307
04-27-2007, 01:23 PM
Do we like Brown better though, as a "masher" What type of LT does Houck like?

Finsfan79
04-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Brown is a better Right Tackle then Left Tackle. Joe Thomas projects as a better Left Tackle then Right Tackle. It works good. Leinart is a lefty remember so he needs a top flight Right tackle.

We need a top flight left tackle for (insert name here perhaps Brohm next year)

Pitbull13
04-27-2007, 01:41 PM
I wonder what we would do if we traded up to #5 and Thomas and Quinn were both there...I think we have to go with Quinn, but I know Thomas will be an all-pro LT for 10+ years. I just think there is a better chance that we trade down than we trade up. I think it all depends what Cleveland does with the 3rd pick. :err:

Totally agree!!! :cooldude:

Pennington's Rocket Arm
04-27-2007, 01:45 PM
it's weird that i never thought about this trade before, but it makes perfect sense...but then again, i think the only player we'd trade up for would be quinn, so i dunno.

Stefins
04-27-2007, 02:04 PM
Please please let that be true

Dolfan1000
04-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Would LOVE that pick!

Im starting to think that Kalil *may* fall to us at #40, that is of course assuming this deal with Arizona involves our later 2nd rounder.

Imagine adding Thomas and Kalil.. Wow. Just wow.

Caldolfan
04-27-2007, 02:16 PM
That would be cool.

LouPhinFan
04-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Would LOVE that pick!

Im starting to think that Kalil *may* fall to us at #40, that is of course assuming this deal with Arizona involves our later 2nd rounder.

Imagine adding Thomas and Kalil.. Wow. Just wow.

If we add Thomas in the 1st, I would rather see us draft WR Steve Smith at #40, especially if we move Booker.

Retnuhrace
04-27-2007, 02:22 PM
That would be absolutely AWESOME!!!!!!! IF we trade up, I think it HAS to be for either Calvin Johnson or Joe Thomas.

Blackshade
04-27-2007, 02:23 PM
Living here in Phoenix I have not heard anything about the Cardinals trading out or down in the draft. In fact mostly I have heard the Cardinals are hoping that Joe Thomas will be there at 5. I can't see the Cardinals trading out of that spot to take Levi Brown further down the draft, even if Lienart is a lefty.

finfan54
04-27-2007, 02:41 PM
So Arizona, then would turn around and draft Levi Brown. What a deal, they get there LT and get some picks in the process.

Regina Phin
04-27-2007, 02:42 PM
I'd be all for that trade, but I don't really see it happening. I think that until someone finally realizes that the draft chart doesn't work now that there's a salary cap, we will continue to see very few trades in the first round.

Bikinibottom
04-27-2007, 03:13 PM
That would totally suck and would be typical of the Dolphins organization to move up the draft board and give up draft picks only to select an offensive tackle. Passing up a future hall of famer and leader of the next 3 superbowl victories.

I could see the phones ringing off the hook a Dolphins stadiums, not to order season tickets but to CANCEL them.

Robert Gallery sure turned the Raiders around.

kpcane
04-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Love the Thomas deal, and also found something else pretty interesting. He's the first guy I've seen that has Meriweather taken before Nelson...hmmm...

fintip
04-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Very good mock. Peter King has some good insights. I've been saying for a while now that Detroit is the key to this draft. I think he is dead on with J Russell and the Raiders (sorry Brady Quinn fans, I know that J Russell going first severely dashes your hopes of him landing in Miami).
I'm not so sure about the Thomas deal though. I personally am not too excited about taking Thomas at five. I think he will be better than L Brown and we definitely need help at LT but I think we can make a better trade and get a different player. I still think Detroit is going to make a deal. It is the safest way out for Millen who is in a Catch-22. He will be in a position to draft arguably the best player in the draft but more than any other team, the Lions can't afford to miss on another WR. Tampa, Atlanta and Washington are all potential suitors. I have a strong feeling that once a trade is made then it will be chaos followed by a lot of movement. Jamarcus to Oakland and Brady to Cleveland are the only two picks in the top five that are pretty much guaranteed to happen. The Cj sweepstakes will determine what the rest of this draft will look like.

darsey
04-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Personally, I would not give up a second rounder to get Thomas when we could give nothing up and get Brown..... Don't get me wrong.... I think that Thomas is great but Brown under the direction of Houck will be good enough and we could use the 2nd rounder on a receiver.

Sphinx002
04-27-2007, 03:55 PM
If we trade up, as he says, our #40 pick goes poof.....and there goes the best chance and getting the QB we want in the second round.

kpcane
04-27-2007, 03:56 PM
If we trade up, as he says, our #40 pick goes poof.....and there goes the best chance and getting the QB we want in the second round.

I'd rather have a top-tier LT, than a second-tier QB.

Sphinx002
04-27-2007, 03:59 PM
But how do you know that that QB is 2nd tier? Been a ton of great QB's taken in the later rounds. My point was that it takes away some options for us in the second round, and we need both a QB and LT. Brown would be fine at LT (some rate him higher than Thomas) and it would then give us a much better chance of landing the QB Cam wants later.

3rd and long
04-27-2007, 04:33 PM
I say we stand pat and draft the best player at #9. We got a good pick. If we could get the Qb from BYU in the 2nd and Levi Brown in the first, I'd be happy.

Blitz
04-27-2007, 10:05 PM
Fifth Overall Pick: OT Joe Thomas Wisconsin Sr. 6-8 315

TRADE: I've had the feeling for a month that Arizona liked Levi Brown better than Thomas as their left tackle of the future. Miami sends a second-rounder, less than the trade chart mandates, but just fine with Arizona.

Source: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/04/27/mock.part1/index.html?cnn=yes

Nice. Use 40 & 71 to move up to acquire Kolb or Beck at the end of the first round, and we'll end the draft day with our LT and QB of the future...

musphinzfan
04-27-2007, 10:14 PM
I am not sold on Thomas...I think that this move would set us back instead of forward.

Jake Long and Jared Gaithers will both be in the draft....These 2 are better then both Brown and Thomas....Save this move til next year.

bigchub22
04-27-2007, 10:14 PM
haha they do not like Levi Brown more than Thomas I live in AZ trust me its all they talk about coaches included on the local sports radio station here is Thomas Thomas Thomas and how upset they will be if he is gone before they pick

phinfein
04-27-2007, 10:27 PM
this would be a great move for us.
we need a qb and a o-line man.
thomas is a good fit for us.
and kolb well i'm still stuck on edwards.
don't get me wrong kolb is great.
but you have to look at the supporting cast on the teams they played for
we need a guy like edwards that can over come not having the best wr's.
because if we trade booker all we have is cambers hagan and vick.

jlfin
04-27-2007, 10:39 PM
haha they do not like Levi Brown more than Thomas I live in AZ trust me its all they talk about coaches included on the local sports radio station here is Thomas Thomas Thomas and how upset they will be if he is gone before they pick

Actually it's split. I heard on Sirius NFL that the front office likes Thomas, BUT, the coaching staff likes Brown.

LouPhinFan
04-27-2007, 10:48 PM
I just wonder if Thomas is the type of player that Houck likes for his O-line. Who knows. We'll find out in a few hours!

DearbornDolfan
04-27-2007, 10:58 PM
King's draft follows my line of thought, except he has the early second going to the Cards instead of the late 2nd and 3rd. If the Fins do what I'd do, it's a toss-up in the 2nd between Kalil and Stanton (assuming they're both there.) How freaking awesome would this line be: Thomas-Alabi-Kalil-Shelton-Carey?

I think Lemon would make a serviceable 2nd string QB for a year and we could easily take a QB next year or even a guy like Kolb in the 4th. However, our priority really does have to be our line.