PDA

View Full Version : Edwards is the answer to our qb problems

uga3406
04-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Yes thats right i said Trent Edwards not Brady Quinn.While it would be nice to get Quinn i dont see it as a big deal if we do get him.Yeah he is a great qb and sure he could be what were looking for but i think we need to address the O-Line with our 1st pick or if landry is still there at 9 u gotta take him.I have seen Edwards play quite a bit and he reminds me of this years version of Jay Cutler.A qb who not many people saw play,played on a lousy team like cutler did and had a terrible O-Line as did Cutler did.half the time he was running for his life.His stock has gone up over the last few weeks and make no mistake about it this guy is a player.He has all the tools to be a good 1.I know there r Quinn lovers out there they will be upset by this but in the long run it would work out better if we got Edwards then Quinn.My last point i will bring up is that Edwards is a project Qb and will need a year proble to learn the system.We can be much more patient with him to.With Quinn here as soon as Trent Green ( yes we will get him eventually ) has a few bad games people will want Quinn in there immediately.The media and the fans will be calling for him to start by week 5 when sometimes it is best to be patient.Those r my points on the subject.

Gogators
04-27-2007, 04:20 PM
I agree with you. We should wait until the 2nd round for our QB, way better value and I really do not think that Quinn or Russell is appreciably better than these guys that are pegged for the 2nd round. Of those I think you hit the nail on the head with this guy.

Didn't the Dolphins go out to Stanford to scout this guy for his proday?

Enforcerfin33
04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
I like Kolb...but Edwards isnt bad....

showstopper
04-27-2007, 04:21 PM
24 hours from now, you could very well see Edwards selected by the dolphins and for the next 12 years he would be our franchise.

Motion
04-27-2007, 04:26 PM
Rather have Kolb or Beck if we don't get Quinn but at least we'd still be looking at a 2nd round QB if we took Edwards. I just hope we get someone with some potential.

uga3406
04-27-2007, 04:27 PM
I remember reading that cam and mueller met him sometime ago.I really like him and would love to see him here in a phins uniform.

ohiobryan
04-27-2007, 04:29 PM
quinn or bust for you randy!

fintip
04-27-2007, 04:30 PM
We'll get much better value by taking a Qb in the second. But having said, contrary to what many on this site seem to think, this is not a great QB class.
The guy I think is the best choice in terms of value for the Dolphins is Drew Stanton. If we can get Landry at nine, which I doubt, and Stanton in the second then it will be a great draft for Mueller.

Motion
04-27-2007, 04:30 PM
I remember reading that cam and mueller met him sometime ago.I really like him and would love to see him here in a phins uniform.

They also met with Stanton 4 times.

Finfanforever
04-27-2007, 04:34 PM
I don't dislike Edwards...he could be a boom-or-bust pick however. Kolb is a system QB. Beck is 26 years old...Stanton is an interesting prospect...I don't know...What I DO know is that Cam says he wants a sharp QB mentally who can think fast-under pressure. Does that weed out any of these guys??? I don't know. I personally think after Quinn their thinking Beck.

Our own Boomer does not care for Edwards.

3rd and long
04-27-2007, 04:36 PM
He looks pretty good. I like him or Beck from BYU in the 2nd Rd.

dlockz
04-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I don't dislike Edwards...he could be a boom-or-bust pick however. Kolb is a system QB. Beck is 26 years old...Stanton is an interesting prospect...I don't know...What I DO know is that Cam says he wants a sharp QB mentally who can think fast-under pressure. Does that weed out any of these guys??? I don't know. I personally think after Quinn their thinking Beck.

I'm sure alot of player's Boomer doesn't like turn out to be pretty good players.

Finfanforever
04-27-2007, 04:44 PM
The draft is not an exact science. I do appreciate the work that Boom and CK do. At least they have some reason and film study/research behind their opinions.

djphinfan
04-27-2007, 04:48 PM
i respect and trust boom and ck's opinion about a player than anyone else in this business,,,,you think john clayton,mort,skip bayless,etc no more than our guy's,,,i beg to differ,,

ticophin
04-27-2007, 04:50 PM
We'll get much better value by taking a Qb in the second. But having said, contrary to what many on this site seem to think, this is not a great QB class.
The guy I think is the best choice in terms of value for the Dolphins is Drew Stanton. If we can get Landry at nine, which I doubt, and Stanton in the second then it will be a great draft for Mueller.

If we go Edwards with our 2nd two, Levi at 9, and Rice-Smith-Bowe-Gonzo-or that other WR from LSU, Davis I belive, with our first 2nd rounder, maybe even Miller, our offense suddenly gets a positive youth injection.

Finfanforever
04-27-2007, 04:52 PM
i respect and trust boom and ck's opinion about a player than anyone else in this business,,,,you think john clayton,mort,skip bayless,etc no more than our guy's,,,i beg to differ,,

How in the hell does Blayless keep his job anyway?...He's like the Rosey O'Donnell of ESPN...a total idiot!

dlockz
04-27-2007, 05:02 PM
The draft is not an exact science. I do appreciate the work that Boom and CK do. At least they have some reason and film study/research behind their opinions.

Im sure alot of the self proclaimed gurus do. Does anybody think Mel Kiper just pulls his opinions from air. I'm sure any of your opinions on some players are based on something. Some of the opinions I hear from many of the self proclaimed gurus are basically regurgitation of other's viewpoints. I love how some people don't think Jamarcus Russel is cerebral enough to be a Cam Cameron Qb, what on film would tell you that? If Cam could work with Cleo lemon, I'm sure that Jamarcus Russel might be able to do more than just chunk the ball down field because of his tremendous athletic gifts.

fintip
04-27-2007, 05:03 PM
Im sure alot of the self proclaimed gurus do. Does anybody think Mel Kiper just pulls his opinions from air. I'm sure any of your opinions on some players are based on something. Some of the opinions I hear from many of the self proclaimed gurus are basically regurgitation of other's viewpoints. I love how some people don't think Jamarcus Russel is cerebral enough to be a Cam Cameron Qb, what on film would tell you that? If Cam could work with Cleo lemon, I'm sure that Jamarcus Russel might be able to do more than just chunk the ball down field because of his tremendous athletic gifts.
Word.

Cali Finfan
04-27-2007, 05:06 PM
Edwards would be a good choice. Even Beck as well. I don't know as much about Stanton but a lot of people seem to like him...

dlockz
04-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Its all about an opinion, some of this board think Kiper is an idiot. Kiper has made quite a career out of what he does. Quite a bit more than any other self proclaimed guru. None of these people have an astounding record of determining who is going to be a good player. I always find people's opinions on differant player's interesting but I always form my own opinion from multiple forms of research.

Finfanforever
04-27-2007, 05:10 PM

Well, I have heard and has been documented on this web-site that a scout does not think Russell has it up-stairs as well as Quinn. I don't know...I've personally not interviewed him but if one scouts says it...there is a question. No one (NOT ONE) however, has doubted Quinn's mental capacity. Russell may be great and Quinn a bust...who knows?? If I were the GM however, I'd take Quinn. I love his work ethic!

dlockz
04-27-2007, 05:28 PM
Well, I have heard and has been documented on this web-site that a scout does not think Russell has it up-stairs as well as Quinn. I don't know...I've personally not interviewed him but if one scouts says it...there is a question. No one (NOT ONE) however, has doubted Quinn's mental capacity. Russell may be great and Quinn a bust...who knows?? If I were the GM however, I'd take Quinn. I love his work ethic!

Well most scouts tend to basically lump all the black quarterbacks into the same category it seems anyway. They always focus on thier physical attributes and tend to forget how well guys like Russel ran thier offense.

JC
04-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Yes thats right i said Trent Edwards not Brady Quinn.While it would be nice to get Quinn i dont see it as a big deal if we do get him.Yeah he is a great qb and sure he could be what were looking for but i think we need to address the O-Line with our 1st pick or if landry is still there at 9 u gotta take him.I have seen Edwards play quite a bit and he reminds me of this years version of Jay Cutler.A qb who not many people saw play,played on a lousy team like cutler did and had a terrible O-Line as did Cutler did.half the time he was running for his life.His stock has gone up over the last few weeks and make no mistake about it this guy is a player.He has all the tools to be a good 1.I know there r Quinn lovers out there they will be upset by this but in the long run it would work out better if we got Edwards then Quinn.My last point i will bring up is that Edwards is a project Qb and will need a year proble to learn the system.We can be much more patient with him to.With Quinn here as soon as Trent Green ( yes we will get him eventually ) has a few bad games people will want Quinn in there immediately.The media and the fans will be calling for him to start by week 5 when sometimes it is best to be patient.Those r my points on the subject.

if we get trent green and if edwards doesn't have injury problems i think he will be a QB steal of the draft

his name just sounds like it would be a good quarterback name, TRENT EDWARDS

Shula Come Back!
04-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Trent Edwards would be my second choice to Quinn too! It should be very realistic to obtain him too! We may have two QB's named Trent. I also like Drew Stanton.

Finfanforever
04-27-2007, 05:54 PM
Well most scouts tend to basically lump all the black quarterbacks into the same category it seems anyway. They always focus on thier physical attributes and tend to forget how well guys like Russel ran thier offense.

OK NNNOOOWWW we whip out the race card! I'm not even going to go there. I don't care if he's friggin purple....if he can get my Fins to the Super Bowl...I'm all for him!
PS: How do you know that the scout wasn't an African-American? That's a lame and ridiculous argument!

dlockz
04-27-2007, 06:23 PM
OK NNNOOOWWW we whip out the race card! I'm not even going to go there. I don't care if he's friggin purple....if he can get my Fins to the Super Bowl...I'm all for him!
PS: How do you know that the scout wasn't an African-American? That's a lame and ridiculous argument!

I had the balls to whip out the card and call it for what it is. The odds are the scout wasn't an African American. If you feel its a lame, thats fine but how often do you hear about anything than the physical ability of the top black quarterbacks in the draft. Look at Vince Young last year , they basically tried to make him look like a blockhead reporting his low wonderlic score. Neither Brady Quinn or Russel come off as geniuses on thier wonderlic although both were in thier twenties. I am not even the biggest Russel fan but this crap about him not being cerebral enough and is not a good fit for Cam's offense is just that crap. What is ridiculous is you even implying that the scout could be an African american which is highly unlikely. Its the same story every year with the top black Qb prospects they are always considered raw and such.

IrishFinatic
04-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Trent Edwards would be my second choice to Quinn too! It should be very realistic to obtain him too! We may have two QB's named Trent. I also like Drew Stanton.

Sorry guys but Edwards and Stanton...not good. Stanton teams fold like a cheap tent and he is suppose to be their leader on the field. Edwards seems to have some talent but is NEVER healthy. Neither are in the same class as Quinn. I think if we don't get Quinn, we may keep our QB's and not draft one.

Shula Come Back!
04-27-2007, 08:10 PM
Sorry guys but Edwards and Stanton...not good. Stanton teams fold like a cheap tent and he is suppose to be their leader on the field. Edwards seems to have some talent but is NEVER healthy. Neither are in the same class as Quinn. I think if we don't get Quinn, we may keep our QB's and not draft one.

I agree that they are not in the same class as Quinn. They need to just get Quinn, but I hate never having a new QB at all! If we draft one in round 2 or 3 and he sucks, try again....I'm just sick of them not even trying!

Larry Little
04-27-2007, 08:19 PM
There's at least one or two things that I don't like about each of the 2nd-tier QBs, so if the Phins miss out on Quinn, and select a rookie QB out of Edwards, Kolb, Beck or Stanton, I wouldn't be totally upset. You could say negative and positive things about each one of them, and you'd probably be right.

Dark.Heat
04-27-2007, 08:33 PM
I agree, I think Edwards is the best option for us in the 2nd round. There is a real possibility though that he won't be available for the Dolphins in the 2nd, especially if the Raiders choose C. Johnson with the first pick.

Finfanforever
04-27-2007, 09:07 PM
I had the balls to whip out the card and call it for what it is. The odds are the scout wasn't an African American. If you feel its a lame, thats fine but how often do you hear about anything than the physical ability of the top black quarterbacks in the draft. Look at Vince Young last year , they basically tried to make him look like a blockhead reporting his low wonderlic score. Neither Brady Quinn or Russel come off as geniuses on thier wonderlic although both were in thier twenties. I am not even the biggest Russel fan but this crap about him not being cerebral enough and is not a good fit for Cam's offense is just that crap. What is ridiculous is you even implying that the scout could be an African american which is highly unlikely. Its the same story every year with the top black Qb prospects they are always considered raw and such.

No what's lame is a person who whips out a race card everytime it's conveinant to do so...like you. Maybe your offended because you are stereotyping African americans yourself! I have many African American friends...most of them with Master's degrees and very successful. How dare you degrade them and the African American communitee as a whole by even insinuating that the scout said negative things about Russell because he is BLACK! SKIN COLOR has nothing to do with playing QB in the NFL! All scouts, coaches, owners, etc. want is to WIN! WINNING HAS NO COLOR! You my friend have a problem.

MastR_EvaluatoR
04-27-2007, 09:26 PM
They also met with Stanton 4 times.

Stanton moved to South Florida well over a month ago .

MastR_EvaluatoR
04-27-2007, 09:28 PM

That doesn't mean anything.. Because Boomer doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time..

JoeyP
04-27-2007, 09:50 PM
Edwards, hell yeah. Id rank him second to Russell in talent for QBs.

No way on Quinn, he's to stiff. and if he dosen't quit it with all the excess weight lifting his accuracy will just keep going down, down, down.

dlockz
04-27-2007, 11:10 PM
No what's lame is a person who whips out a race card everytime it's conveinant to do so...like you. Maybe your offended because you are stereotyping African americans yourself! I have many African American friends...most of them with Master's degrees and very successful. How dare you degrade them and the African American communitee as a whole by even insinuating that the scout said negative things about Russell because he is BLACK! SKIN COLOR has nothing to do with playing QB in the NFL! All scouts, coaches, owners, etc. want is to WIN! WINNING HAS NO COLOR! You my friend have a problem.

Big deal you have black friends even with master's degrees that does not make you correct. Describe one scouting report on any black QB that mentioned good intelligence, Im calling a spade a spade. I have much more than black friends, its not my belief its the stereotypical viewpoint of still a very white profession. Some people want to believe all stereotyping is a thing of the past, most of these people don't live the life that shows that not to be true. Ask any of your black friends if they feel that black Qb's are just stereotyped as good athletes, while the white Qb is the cerebral QB. If everything was so equal in the NFL why did they have to adopt a rule just so minorities could get interviews( a system I don't truly believe in but its not a level playing field for sure). How many black coaches have there been in the history of the NFL, yes you can probably name them all and before the rule it might take one hand. For years there were only a handful of black Qb's, do you think all of a sudden blacks got good at being Qb's or maybe racism and stereotyping had something to do with it. So all of a sudden thats all gone, yea right.Many of these scouts and coaches were still in many of the same positions when this was rampant as well as owners. If you think all of a sudden everyone changed thier thinking you are the one with a problem its called no sense of reality. I degraded no african americans, I degraded the sterotyping of black quarterbacks. Ask any african americans if they agree that black Qb's are stereotyped for thier athletic ability and never given enough credit for thier mental part of the game. I'm not one of these people that claim to have black friends, I have black family and so on, so don't tell me that they are the exception to the thinking. Just for your info when I went to work I asked 10 people I work with,all african american about your response and they said he doesn't have a clue if he thinks black Qb's are not sterotyped. Don't worry many whites don't think racism or sterotyping occur in regular society anymore so you are not alone.

We both live very close, you live in St Pete lets go out in the black community one day as as fellow fans and poll the populace on this question or do it on your own. I dont mean any disrespect to you or anyone but go back and read various scouting reports on black qb's throughout the years
and tell me that they don't seem sterotypical. Also trent Edwards will be a very good pick.

MastR_EvaluatoR
04-27-2007, 11:14 PM
Edwards had the worst TD - Int ratio of any QB in the top 8 .. That is alarming.. The guy turns the ball over constantly.

dlockz
04-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Edwards had the worst TD - Int ratio of any QB in the top 8 .. That is alarming.. The guy turns the ball over constantly.

He had the worst team of anyone in the top 8 by far.

Gonzo
04-27-2007, 11:23 PM
Edwards is an interesting prospect. I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed him. It's just hard to tell with how horrible his help was around him. I was talking to an ASU senior player following the game this past season. While we ourselves (ASU) weren't exactly great, his exact quote was, "that was the worst team I have ever played here." Not sure if that is worth anything regarding his value; I just wonder what he could have done with more talent around him.

dlockz
04-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Edwards is an interesting prospect. I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed him. It's just hard to tell with how horrible his help was around him. I was talking to an ASU senior player following the game this past season. While we ourselves (ASU) weren't exactly great, his exact quote was, "that was the worst team I have ever played here." Not sure if that is worth anything regarding his value; I just wonder what he could have done with more talent around him.

also ask yourself if Russel or Quinn were the Qb would they have done any better.

RichmondWeb
04-27-2007, 11:57 PM
All I know is Oak, Det, Chi, and Cleveland will be ahead of us in round 2 so we're looking at their scraps as far as 2nd round QB's. Boomer likes Kolb best. If he had a couple years to learn he could be pretty good. I wouldn't dive after a QB until our second second or third and see what's there. We have excellent coaches; they should pick some raw cheap talent and teach them how to play football.

JoeyP
04-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Edwards is a good prospect, but his line was awful and the skill position players are not PAC 10 caliber. Fresno St. has more speed and better athletes at WR, RB, TE etc.

Gonzo
04-28-2007, 12:17 AM
also ask yourself if Russel or Quinn were the Qb would they have done any better.That's essentially what I was saying.

Finfanforever
04-28-2007, 09:54 AM
Big deal you have black friends even with master's degrees that does not make you correct. Describe one scouting report on any black QB that mentioned good intelligence, Im calling a spade a spade. I have much more than black friends, its not my belief its the stereotypical viewpoint of still a very white profession. Some people want to believe all stereotyping is a thing of the past, most of these people don't live the life that shows that not to be true. Ask any of your black friends if they feel that black Qb's are just stereotyped as good athletes, while the white Qb is the cerebral QB. If everything was so equal in the NFL why did they have to adopt a rule just so minorities could get interviews( a system I don't truly believe in but its not a level playing field for sure). How many black coaches have there been in the history of the NFL, yes you can probably name them all and before the rule it might take one hand. For years there were only a handful of black Qb's, do you think all of a sudden blacks got good at being Qb's or maybe racism and stereotyping had something to do with it. So all of a sudden thats all gone, yea right.Many of these scouts and coaches were still in many of the same positions when this was rampant as well as owners. If you think all of a sudden everyone changed thier thinking you are the one with a problem its called no sense of reality. I degraded no african americans, I degraded the sterotyping of black quarterbacks. Ask any african americans if they agree that black Qb's are stereotyped for thier athletic ability and never given enough credit for thier mental part of the game. I'm not one of these people that claim to have black friends, I have black family and so on, so don't tell me that they are the exception to the thinking. Just for your info when I went to work I asked 10 people I work with,all african american about your response and they said he doesn't have a clue if he thinks black Qb's are not sterotyped. Don't worry many whites don't think racism or sterotyping occur in regular society anymore so you are not alone.

We both live very close, you live in St Pete lets go out in the black community one day as as fellow fans and poll the populace on this question or do it on your own. I dont mean any disrespect to you or anyone but go back and read various scouting reports on black qb's throughout the years
and tell me that they don't seem sterotypical. Also trent Edwards will be a very good pick.

I'm not nieve enough to think that racism is a thing of the past. I think both Russell and Quinn are going to be pro-bowl QB's (unless Al Davis screws up the rest of the roster). Doug Williams, McNabb, C-Pep (in his pre-injury prime), Vince Young, have more than proven that Black QB's DO have it mentally and some make damn good QB's. I just think my friend, that we will never break down those damndible racial boundaries until we stop constantly bringing them up. I'm not saying ignore them necessarily..."the card" is just used WAY too much. I don't think the scout white or black, was thinking "skin color" when he made that comment. Crap...there is a boat-load of white QB's whose mental capacityto play in the NFL has been also questioned. Have a good draft day...I also think Edwards may be a steal!

dlockz
04-28-2007, 09:58 AM
This is for the people that dont see how many black Qb's are stereotyped

However, he lacks a quick release and is not consistently accurate. Smith, similar to retired Jeff Blake, should have a similar NFL career.

Is an excellent athlete with the great speed to make big plays with his feet.Is raw, and must improve accuracy.

Is short. Is more of an athlete than a polished quarterback, and has not developed as a passer yet.

Strengths: Is a good athlete with the quickness and speed to make plays with his feet. Can buy second chances and create something out of nothing. Has a strong arm, and can make all the throws with zip

Is a good athlete with the quickness and athleticism to avoid sacks and make plays with his feet.

Is well built. Has the strength to stand in the pocket. Can escape would-be sacks with quick feet and athleticism. Makes strong throws with defenders hanging on

Must become more consistent. Is raw.

is a big, efficient and big-armed quarterback with the athleticism to keep plays alive and run to move the chains

Damn they all sound quite similar, except for height.

Always raw and can make plays with feet lol.

Phanatical
04-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I kind of agree with this thread. If Quinn is available the Phins need to take him. If not there are other options with Edwards, Kolb, Beck or Smith. The Phins shouldn't give up any picks to move up for Quinn IMO.

Finfanforever
04-28-2007, 10:09 AM
This is for the people that dont see how many black Qb's are stereotyped

However, he lacks a quick release and is not consistently accurate. Smith, similar to retired Jeff Blake, should have a similar NFL career.

Is an excellent athlete with the great speed to make big plays with his feet.Is raw, and must improve accuracy.

Is short. Is more of an athlete than a polished quarterback, and has not developed as a passer yet.

Strengths: Is a good athlete with the quickness and speed to make plays with his feet. Can buy second chances and create something out of nothing. Has a strong arm, and can make all the throws with zip

Is a good athlete with the quickness and athleticism to avoid sacks and make plays with his feet.

Is well built. Has the strength to stand in the pocket. Can escape would-be sacks with quick feet and athleticism. Makes strong throws with defenders hanging on

Must become more consistent. Is raw.

is a big, efficient and big-armed quarterback with the athleticism to keep plays alive and run to move the chains

Damn they all sound quite similar, except for height.

Always raw and can make plays with feet lol.

"Raw" means he needs coaching...NOT that he's stupid....since when is a compliment like "athletic" being stereotypical???? I guess people even have to be careful when the "write something positive" because it might pi$$ certain ethnic groups off....PLEASE! At least we agree to disagree and we are both Finfans! Have a great draft day (with all sincerity)

dlockz
04-28-2007, 10:25 AM
"Raw" means he needs coaching...NOT that he's stupid....since when is a compliment like "athletic" being stereotypical???? I guess people even have to be careful when the "write something positive" because it might pi$$ certain ethnic groups off....PLEASE! At least we agree to disagree and we are both Finfans! Have a great draft day (with all sincerity)

My point was basically that I went through all the scouting reports of all the black Qb's from this draft and they were all very similar in some respects.
Its kind of the analagy in basketball comparing Bird and Magic. Bird was the hard working player over coming his atletic shortcomings with his mental approach to the game and Magic has these awesome athletic gifts, like he was born to be a basketball player. If you say that all blacks are fast, you are not necessarily saying something bad, but it would be stereotypical. Black Qb's are regularly described as great athletes but raw. Chris leak started for 4 years at Florida but he is described as more of an athlete than a QB. The main thing that hurts Leak in the draft is his height. look at the Smith quote where they compare him to Jeff Blake, huh are they afraid to compare him to a white QB. Russel is compared to Culpepper basically because physically he is built like him and he is black, other than that thier styles are not that similar.