PDA

View Full Version : Madden 08 Preview

Medieval954
04-27-2007, 10:33 PM
IGN article highlights...

Midair Collisions
WR's and CB's will meet midair on some plays.

"If you're going to expose yourself in traffic, expect to get hit. We can see the alligator arms growing now."

Big Time Catches
Big time WR's will play like big time WR's.

To balance these big hits in the secondary, EA has made star receivers play like, you know, stars...That's not to say a good corner isn't going to shut down some of these plays. But a scrub DB? "He's toast," Cummings said. Along with highlight catches, you can also trigger possession catches that ensure you catch the ball, get the feet down and tuck it away safely at the expense of some speed running after the catch.

Hurdles
Hurdles are back but beware, RB's are susceptible to midair collisions too. (see above)

A few years ago, players were able to cheat with the hurdle button to escape tackles. The easy solution was simply to remove hurdles. They're back in 08, and a great tool for ball carriers looking to evade tacklers going for the knees. On the flip side of that coin, you are exposed in the air..."If a guy is running at you and you jump at him, you're dead," said Cummings. "We emulated that."

Hitstick 2.0
Advanced hitstick lets you aim your tackles.

If LT is going to hurdle to avoid a tackle, you have to be able to answer on the defensive side of the ball. Enter Hitstick 2.0. This will allow you to tackle high or low by flicking up or down on the right stick, respectively.

Gang Tackles
More advanced gang tackles.

Cummings said with confidence that it's "the best gang-tackling engine ever created," a bold statement considering the old 2K franchise.

The Line of Scrimmage
Offensive line play improvements.

EA enlisted an engineer that played offensive line in college and the Canadian Football League to design a new blocking scheme. This season you'll see double teams, stretch blocking and linemen extending to the second level.

Fatigue
No huddle offense and weather conditions will play a bigger role to player fatigue.

Guess what? Temperature and location play a factor in a football game...Consider this: If Reggie Bush scampers left, then right, then backward, then left and right again and finally into the end zone as only Reggie Bush can, he's going to be tired at the end of the run. In Madden, you'll notice him slowing and, with a different set of running animations, you will see that Bush is gassed...For those of you that enjoy sprinting from sideline to sideline with Michael Vick, it's time to get a new strategy. Then again, the defense will tire too...After a play, you won't see the same canned animations of 11 players jogging back to a huddle in unison. Players will huff and puff with their hands on their hips, longing for the oxygen tank on the sidelines. This will add a new dimension to clock management as you can't simply run Hail Mary after Hail Mary with a no-huddle offense. Those long patterns (and the jog back to the line) take a heavy toll. Instead, you'll need to complete a pass and -- dare I say it -- spike the ball to stop the clock. Just waiting a few extra seconds to snap the ball will have an effect.

Celebrate Good Times, C'mon!
Player celebrations much improved.

If you blow up a play on defense, a teammate will run over, pick you up off the ground, give you a slap on the helmet and a quick, "Hell yeah!" and jog back to the huddle...After scores, keep your eyes peeled for signature celebrations like Chad Johnson's river dance, Donte Hall's X and Rex Grossman's gator chomp. EA already has at least 60 celebrations in the game, although we don't know yet if you'll be able to choose one for yourself after a score.

Game A.I.
The in-game A.I. will resemble real life player tedencies.

As for AI, EA wants star players to play like star players. Peyton Manning is going to pick a part a defense, call audibles and shift his team at the line. On the flip side, a QB like Rex Grossman is going to be inconsistent. Cornerbacks like Champ Bailey are going to shut down an entire side of the football field. You've never feared a cornerback before in Madden, but that's about to change. EA is also rewriting the defensive zone AI to eliminate money plays, especially deep balls and corner routes.

Full-featured game
Madden 08 to finally include play modes from last generation.

And finally, EA is bringing back the features that never made the jump from current-gen Madden like owner mode, defensive hot routes and classic rosters. The stellar Superstar mode returns, as well as the Hall of Fame, although EA is missing a few notable players like Montana, Marino and Rice that make appearances in All Pro Football 2K8. Is it a coincidence that Madden 08 will be so feature-rich now that 2K is back in the game? Probably not, and that's a good thing as EA has yet another incentive to make the best football game on the market.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/784/784281p1.html

HysterikiLL
04-27-2007, 10:40 PM
Gang-tackles are something I've wanted for a long long time. Sweet. Also Hitstick v 2.0 sounds awesome...I'm currently playing with the Skins solely to use Sean Taylor and I live with the hitstick.

This whole in-the-air tackling thing could be awesome, but it could also be a bit gimmicky too. I hate how when you dive in the corner of the end zone and get hit, you always to the same sideways flip and land half short of the end zone. It's not relative to the player e.g. A 250 lb T.J. Duckett gets owned in mid air by a 180 lb corner? I don't think so. They need to make sure that bigger guys pile over guys in the air. Combining that with the hurdles feature, I hope they make it possible to dive over the trenches and score a Priest Holmes/Walter Payton esque TD like you could in ESPN.

Alex44
04-27-2007, 10:48 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun. Unfortunately since my PS2 broke Ive been playing Madden on PC, so it's not as fun as it used to be.

Majpain
04-27-2007, 11:13 PM
its getting hyped up in reality its not going to be very good.

Sethdaddy8
04-27-2007, 11:37 PM
they better improve subbing players in specific packages/formations. that was soooooo weak in 07.

Agent51
04-28-2007, 01:30 AM
The ONE feature I have ALWAYS wanted in Madden (well, there are a bunch actually, so I'll call it the one PRESENTATION feature) is draft cutscenes. Ever since I saw it in one of the NBA2K games at my friends house, I have wanted something like it in Madden. At LEAST the first 5 or 10 guys, but ideally all of round 1. I wanna see Goodell walk to the podium and announce the player just like real life (ideally there would be a voice for it, but even just subtitles popping up would be OK, or maybe the team card with the player written down pops up), and then have the player walk out on stage and have the coach/GM/owner hand him the "#1" jersey and the player puts on a team hat and holds up the jersey and a bunch of flashbulbs go off. Of course you would be able to turn them off in the options, or press a button to skip them so you just watch your team's pick or you could watch 'em all if you want.

I just think it would add a lot in the realism department. Especially in Super Star Mode, when you could wait for your name to be called and, if you break the first round, you're guy walks up onstage. If not, they could cut to a scene of him at home on a cellphone and show his reaction or something. Of course, they'd have to fix SS mode's draft where it seems like no matter what your college rating is if you import, or how great you do in the workouts/combine if you just creat a SS, you NEVER seem to go earlier than round 3. I have run consistent 4.29-4.32s in the 40, benched 34-38 reps, and scored TDs on almost all but a run or two as a Super Star mode RB, and yet I still get drafted in round 3 or 4, even though my rating ends up being a 96-98 :tantrum:

VanDolPhan
04-28-2007, 03:25 AM
they better improve subbing players in specific packages/formations. that was soooooo weak in 07.

No mention of that or fixing that damn draft. Really they need to get hit with monopoly laws over that crap with trying to force you to buy college football to get a draft team. It's blatant.

DrewAlmighty
04-28-2007, 09:21 AM
I just want the system to run good on the 360.

07 annoys the hell out of me. Unless they fix 08, I'm not getting it.