PDA

View Full Version : What differentiates a human? DeDolphan, take note

PhinPhan1227
07-17-2003, 09:32 AM
Simple and painless...what makes a human a human? What differentiates a person from an animal? Why do we have rights that animals don't? I'll save my opinion for later, since I'd like to see what others have to say first.

M-REAL
07-17-2003, 04:11 PM
What makes a human IMO, is the ability to reason, answers your first two questions. Next, we were given rights that holds us supreme over the animals.(not always like that-dinosaurs ruled once) And finally another thing that makes us human is the ability to make decisions that are sometimes sound/ sometimes not. Animals go on instinct, which drives them- we go by both.

PhinPhan1227
07-17-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by marcusreal
What makes a human IMO, is the ability to reason, answers your first two questions. Next, we were given rights that holds us supreme over the animals.(not always like that-dinosaurs ruled once) And finally another thing that makes us human is the ability to make decisions that are sometimes sound/ sometimes not. Animals go on instinct, which drives them- we go by both.

The ability to reason to a greater or lesser extent is present in many if not all mammals, as well as several other animals. In it's higher form, reasoning is certainly present in apes and other higher mammals who demonstrate language skills, social interactions, and even tool making ability. The ability to make good and bad decisions is also certainly present in animals as any dog owner will tell you. As for being given rights over animals, that's a purely religious viewpoint, which is actually quite funny when included with a dinosaur comment. I can't dispute the religious viewpoint, but the other two elements mentioned have been shown to be present in many animals as well as humans. Can you show anything which is SOLELY present in humans and NOT present in animals?

XoPhinsoX
07-17-2003, 06:17 PM
We can shave.

Den54
07-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Opposing thumbs?

baccarat
07-17-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227
Why do we have rights that animals don't?

Why do we have rights that plants don't?

DeDolfan
07-17-2003, 07:09 PM
What differentiates a person from an animal?

Well, since I was singled out here, the answer to this Q would be superior intelligence. That is why humans are at the top of the food chain.

MOULDSROCKS
07-18-2003, 01:54 AM
we have sex for fun

baccarat
07-18-2003, 02:48 AM
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals...except the weasel."
-Sir Homer Jay Simpson

PhinPhan1227
07-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by DeDolfan

Well, since I was singled out here, the answer to this Q would be superior intelligence. That is why humans are at the top of the food chain.

So a person who is severely mentally retarded is inhuman? If you ask a biologist to rate the intelligence of a dog, he'll tell you it's about equivalent to an average 1-2 year old human child. Should the dog be elevated to having the same rights as a child, or should the child have his rights reduced to that of a dog?

PhinPhan1227
07-18-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Den54
Opposing thumbs?

Any primate has opossing thumbs(apes, monkeys, lemurs).

MaxPower
07-18-2003, 10:19 AM

The ability to reason to a greater or lesser extent is present in many if not all mammals, as well as several other animals. In it's higher form, reasoning is certainly present in apes and other higher mammals who demonstrate language skills, social interactions, and even tool making ability. The ability to make good and bad decisions is also certainly present in animals as any dog owner will tell you. As for being given rights over animals, that's a purely religious viewpoint, which is actually quite funny when included with a dinosaur comment. I can't dispute the religious viewpoint, but the other two elements mentioned have been shown to be present in many animals as well as humans. Can you show anything which is SOLELY present in humans and NOT present in animals?

I agree.

Whew. Thank goodness. Everytime I disagree with someone on this board about something non-dolphin it turns out to be with PhinPhan. :D Glad I'm your side on this one....

ohall
07-18-2003, 10:32 AM
Simple and painless...what makes a human a human? What differentiates a person from an animal? Why do we have rights that animals don't? I'll save my opinion for later, since I'd like to see what others have to say first.

I disagree, animals have more rights than we do now.

Oliver...

XoPhinsoX
07-18-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
we have sex for fun

So do Porpoises. . .

I believe they're the only other mammal that does have sex just for fun. .

GO DOLPHINS! :lol:

Our team represents a smart/horny fish ;p

PhinPhan1227
07-18-2003, 11:05 AM
we have sex for fun

Lol...I've spoken to some women up in Buffalo...they aren't having any fun...:lol:

M-REAL
07-18-2003, 01:25 PM
Phin, I'll give ya a better example of the reasoning thing. Humans can use reason by knowing that a chicken leg that is green we realize that this is spoiled and we wouldn't eat it, hence throw it away. A dog, for example would eat the leg because it can't reason that the food is rotten and therefore would eat it because it doesn't understand and can't really make judgement calls like that. Religious reasons? True because I feel that I could destroy any animal that walks this earth, this is why we are at the top of the food chain and always will be. This doesn't mean I would hurt an animal, but I could kill it nevertheless.

baccarat
07-18-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Oliver

I disagree, animals have more rights than we do now.

Oliver...

Sad but very true. :nono:

PhinPhan1227
07-18-2003, 02:08 PM
Phin, I'll give ya a better example of the reasoning thing. Humans can use reason by knowing that a chicken leg that is green we realize that this is spoiled and we wouldn't eat it, hence throw it away. A dog, for example would eat the leg because it can't reason that the food is rotten and therefore would eat it because it doesn't understand and can't really make judgement calls like that. Religious reasons? True because I feel that I could destroy any animal that walks this earth, this is why we are at the top of the food chain and always will be. This doesn't mean I would hurt an animal, but I could kill it nevertheless.

First of all, some dogs would eat that chicken leg, but others wouldn't. I know this from experience with my dogs. In fact, if you call a vet, you can ask him how many cases of food poisoning he sees in dogs/cats, and then call a GP and ask him the same question about people. That aside, look at some people. They know that shooting heroin into their bodies will hurt them, but they do it anyway. Athletes/body builders know that steroids and HGH will damage their bodies but they do it anyway. People do stupid things all the time because the desire for the benefit outweighs the fear of the consequences. Again, no difference between humans and animals, just different desires. As for humans being superior to animals because they sit on top of the food chain, AGAIN, your knowledge of biology is pitiful. There are bacteria that can and do kill millions of people every year. And they're adapting to the drugs we use to TRY and combat them. Because they're able to kill us at will and we can't wipe them out, are they due equal rights? The shark that attacks you when you're swimming off Commercial pier doesn't see you as higher on the food chain...does he get equal rights? Come on man, think these things through.

XoPhinsoX
07-18-2003, 03:21 PM
It's simple really..

We eat them..they don't eat us (well, some of us ;p).

PhinPhan1227
07-18-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by XoPhinsoX
It's simple really..

We eat them..they don't eat us (well, some of us ;p).

Guess what germs are doing right this very minute? Also, ever hear of dust mites?

XoPhinsoX
07-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Now you're going a little extreme with it. . ;)

DeDolfan
07-18-2003, 06:11 PM

So a person who is severely mentally retarded is inhuman? If you ask a biologist to rate the intelligence of a dog, he'll tell you it's about equivalent to an average 1-2 year old human child. Should the dog be elevated to having the same rights as a child, or should the child have his rights reduced to that of a dog?

No, of course, not. That is not what I said so i would appreciate it if you would not twist things around. I simply gave a general answer to a general question. This is how you get things all discombobulated. If you wanted an answer pertaining to the mentally retarded or ages of humans, by all means include such in your question. Just don't go twisting my answer all around. All folks (most probably would tho) may not go back and see what I had said first and get the wrong idea of what I said.
So anyway, what difference does it make how a biologist rates intelligence? Are we talking about a mere puppy or a full grown dog as compared to the toddler? (See what I mean?)

DeDolfan
07-18-2003, 06:23 PM

First of all, some dogs would eat that chicken leg, but others wouldn't. I know this from experience with my dogs. In fact, if you call a vet, you can ask him how many cases of food poisoning he sees in dogs/cats, and then call a GP and ask him the same question about people. That aside, look at some people. They know that shooting heroin into their bodies will hurt them, but they do it anyway. Athletes/body builders know that steroids and HGH will damage their bodies but they do it anyway. People do stupid things all the time because the desire for the benefit outweighs the fear of the consequences. Again, no difference between humans and animals, just different desires. As for humans being superior to animals because they sit on top of the food chain, AGAIN, your knowledge of biology is pitiful. There are bacteria that can and do kill millions of people every year. And they're adapting to the drugs we use to TRY and combat them. Because they're able to kill us at will and we can't wipe them out, are they due equal rights? The shark that attacks you when you're swimming off Commercial pier doesn't see you as higher on the food chain...does he get equal rights? Come on man, think these things through.

You examples to make your case again are way to extreme. Sure, there will always be exceptions to every rule. How many shark attacks on humans are there in a year as opposed to how many sharks are caught/killed by humans? Sure, there are bacteria/diseases that take their toll, etc. But by being on the top of the food chain means (not that we will eat everything else) that we as humans, generally speaking now, are intelligent enough to figure out how to stay on top and eventually defeat diseases etc. that threaten us and thus prosper. If we couldn't, the human race would be all but extinct by now because all the lions and tigers and bears (Oh, my!) would have eaten us all up by now, yes?

LeftCoastPhin
07-18-2003, 06:59 PM
So I'm wondering what Professor 1227's answer is? Pun intended, just joshing. But seriously, what's your theory doc?

My answer is humans make plastic, and other "man made" things, whereas animals do not. Why are we here? PLASTIC, a$$hole. That is not mine, it is George Carlin's.

LeftCoastPhin
07-18-2003, 07:10 PM
As far as Biology goes, maybe our cells are far more advanced where they can repair themselves at a superior rate? We can build machines to save our lives, using our brains. Whereas animals simply circle the wagons. Hell, I'm not a Biology major, I'm real curious as to the answer!

Hmmm........PLASTIC, A$$HOLE! LOL

inFINSible
07-18-2003, 07:29 PM
Humans have the ability to adapt to any environment. Animals do not.

inFINSible
07-18-2003, 09:52 PM
C'Mon!! 1227, Tell me I'm right!

baccarat
07-18-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by booyeah_

Why do we have rights that plants don't?

Why won't Phin17777 answer my question?

inFINSible
07-18-2003, 10:36 PM
Because plants have no concept of their own being....rights for them would be useless, they wouldn't know they had them.

baccarat
07-18-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by inFINSible
Because plants have no concept of their own being....rights for them would be useless, they wouldn't know they had them.

The same goes for animals. If you told a dog he had the right to a fair trial, he'd take a crap on your lawn.

inFINSible
07-18-2003, 10:46 PM
But if you put a fire next to a dog he'll haul *** away from it....not because he can but, because he knows to get away or he'll injure himself.

baccarat
07-18-2003, 11:38 PM
some animals move very slowly or not at all. Some plants can make movements, too. Plants can react to their enviroment too. Plants that are sung to can grow taller, flowers pucker up without light or extreme temperatures. So if you're going to do something stupid like equate the lives of an animal and a human, you should include plants. Why stop the ludicrous at animals?

baccarat
07-18-2003, 11:40 PM
BTW, some people can't move either.

inFINSible
07-19-2003, 07:18 AM
Originally posted by booyeah_
some animals move very slowly or not at all. Some plants can make movements, too. Plants can react to their enviroment too. Plants that are sung to can grow taller, flowers pucker up without light or extreme temperatures. So if you're going to do something stupid like equate the lives of an animal and a human, you should include plants. Why stop the ludicrous at animals?

who's "equating' ....we're "differentiating".....it's right in the thread title....

M-REAL
07-19-2003, 10:55 AM
Okay, the real difference between animals and people is animals have a limited place here on earth. Meaning(I am too a dog owner) they don't contribute much except unconditional love, loyalty(sometimes) and protection/security. Other than these things there is not much else. People cure diseases, viruses, bacteria-which BTW buddy are everywhere anyway, and pain. People create governments and destroy them, make new inventions, design luxurys-like TV, dvd computers, internet,etc. the list goes on and on. Animals don't get married they just screw on instinct. People do both. Animals are limited by a wide margin by everything. The point is you can talk about biology, and your view on the food chain, and everything else but the fact remains we are humans and money make the world go round and mammals don't. Oh, BTW Infin that's what I am talking about the dog knows by instinct, not pre-determined knowledge of fire to move his a** out of the way. And Phin, if ya don't believe me, come over to my house and we'll have a little science experiment for you.

inFINSible
07-19-2003, 02:12 PM
Humans have the ability to adapt to any environment. Animals do not.

This is STILL the undisputable bottom line.....sorry to quote myself but, no one has addressed this yet.....everyone elses arguments are debatable THIS is not....

baccarat
07-19-2003, 03:11 PM

who's "equating' ....we're "differentiating".....it's right in the thread title....

The original post basically said prove there are no differences which means prove we're above them. Unfortunately, a lot of radicals think the life of a rat is worth more than the lives of your family members.

inFINSible
07-19-2003, 06:30 PM
okay.....I was stuck on the "what differentiates....?" part.......the rest of it is easy.....we have rights over animals because we can and because they don't care.....tell a baboon he has the same rights as a human and see what he has to say about that......

M-REAL
07-20-2003, 11:28 AM
INfin, you are actually right on the money. Agreed, humans can adapt to any situation and/or environment. This is definitely true and noone can say different about it. Maybe they need an example: Say we threw a dog and a human, at the same time into the desert, any desert. Now the dog wanders around after awhile and thinks it's really thirsty. 10 miles away, the human is thinking he is thirsty also and starts to cut open a cactus to drink the water from it. Well, he will live a hell of alot longer than his counter-part. The dog can't even use a tool like a knife so he is pretty much screwed! Now, as the dog is dehydrating, the human sees the dog and eventually will build a fire and eat the dog IF he gets hungary enough. No joke! The point is made, so who can disagree?

DeDolfan
07-20-2003, 12:07 PM

This is STILL the undisputable bottom line.....sorry to quote myself but, no one has addressed this yet.....everyone elses arguments are debatable THIS is not....

I'll address it for/with you. But i would even add "control" as well as adapt to your statement. But know that we will "findout" the exceptions to the rule at a later date, no doubt!! LOL

DeDolfan
07-20-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by LeftCoastPhin
So I'm wondering what Professor 1227's answer is? Pun intended, just joshing. But seriously, what's your theory doc?

My answer is humans make plastic, and other "man made" things, whereas animals do not. Why are we here? PLASTIC, a$$hole. That is not mine, it is George Carlin's.

Professor 1227 :D :D :D :D

DeDolfan
07-20-2003, 12:13 PM
INfin, you are actually right on the money. Agreed, humans can adapt to any situation and/or environment. This is definitely true and noone can say different about it. Maybe they need an example: Say we threw a dog and a human, at the same time into the desert, any desert. Now the dog wanders around after awhile and thinks it's really thirsty. 10 miles away, the human is thinking he is thirsty also and starts to cut open a cactus to drink the water from it. Well, he will live a hell of alot longer than his counter-part. The dog can't even use a tool like a knife so he is pretty much screwed! Now, as the dog is dehydrating, the human sees the dog and eventually will build a fire and eat the dog IF he gets hungary enough. No joke! The point is made, so who can disagree?

I would agree. So i guess the moral to your story is that if you're ever stranded in a desert, hope and pry that it is one with cactus there !! :D :D (sorry, couldn't resist......good story tho)

M-REAL
07-20-2003, 12:33 PM
And add: Bring a knife and matches too, thanx DE. lol:cool: :D

PhinstiGator
07-21-2003, 08:02 PM

The simple answer is FOOTBALL. Animals cannot play football. They could imitate some small aspect of the game, but they cannot understand the rules, design offense and defensive plays to score TD's... culminating in a final superbowl game that's location is determined by an external ruling authority.

They also cannot design and use a communication & number crunching device (computer) and link it up around the world (the Internet) in order to have interesting discussions on such topics as the differences betwixt the species.

Normally intelligence is a good differentiation. Then I show up and prove that theory wrong.

A more intelligent answer would be the unique combination that makes up the human genome combined with the human spirit and human emotion and human weakness.

PhinPhan1227
07-24-2003, 10:55 AM

There you have it...nail on the head. The only defensible difference between a human being and an animal is the knowledge of "self". Animals are capable of intelligence that is easily the equal of many humans, but no animal has a sense of "self" that we can detect. No animal asks "why". They ask how, where, when, who, but never "why". It's that introspection which sets ua apart. But ask a scientist to identify that part of the brain which embodies the "why". Ask him to tell you which part of the brain contains the soul. The difference between man and animal comes down to introspection, which comes down to the soul. If you take that out of the equation, you've got nothing left. But just for clarification, lets go over the answers given.

Top of the food chain? Hardly, since as I said, any biologist will tell you that plenty of organisms feed of humans and have no need to fear us ever wiping them out. Tool making ability? Plenty of animals make tools. Other primates, birds, otters, and many other animals have demonstrated tool making ability. Adaptaion to any environment? That's STRICTLY a result of the tool-making ability. For the VAST majority of mankind's existance we were nomads who adapted to our environment by MOVING, just like animals did. Were humans less human then? And the example used was especially lame as the average person thrown into the desert would die of thirst/starvation long before the average dog since the average dog has much better survival skills. For the person who said he'd "cut open a cactus", maybe he could tell us all which cactii are safe to drink and which ones will kill you dead? Or perhaps he didn't learn the fact that many cactii are poisonous? The dog being a dog of course would probably stay alive for quite a while by hunting smaller animals and drinking their blood, as most desert animals do. The purpose of this post was to ascertain if anyone could come up with an answer that was outside the realm of the metaphysical, and nobody did. Thanks to those who participated.

MOULDSROCKS
07-27-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by XoPhinsoX

So do Porpoises. . .

I believe they're the only other mammal that does have sex just for fun. .

GO DOLPHINS! :lol:

Our team represents a smart/horny fish ;p

you walked right into my trap.....

Dolphins are gay, unless they need to reproduce!

http://www.worldpolicy.org/globalrights/sexorient/marine-gay.html

"Male Bottlenose Dolphins often form lifelong pair-bonds with each other. Adolescent and younger males typically live in all-male groups in which homosexual activity is common; within these groups, a male begins to develop a strong bond with a particular partner (usually of the same age) with whom he will spend the rest of his life. The two Dolphins become constant companions, often traveling widely; although sexual activity probably declines as they get older, it may continue to be a regular feature of such partnerships. Paired males sometimes take turns guarding or remaining vigilant while their partner rests. They also defend their mates against predators such as sharks and protect them while they are healing from wounds inflicted during preclators’ attacks. Sometimes three males form a tightly bonded trio. On the death of his partner, a male may spend a long time searching for a new male companion—usually unsuccessfully, since most other males in the community are already paired and will not break their bonds. If, however, he can find another “widower” whose male partner has died, the two may become a couple…

The lives of male Bottlenose Dolphins are characterized by extensive bisexuality, combined with periods of exclusive homosexuality. As adolescents and young males, they have regular homosexual interactions in all-male groups, sometimes alternating with heterosexual activity. From age 10 onward, most male Dolphins form pair-bonds with another male, and because they do not usually father calves until they are 20-25 years old, this can be an extended period—10-15 years—of principally same-sex interaction. Later, when they begin mating heterosexually, they still retain their primary male pair-bonds, and in some populations male pairs and trios cooperate in herding females or in interacting homosexually with Spotted Dolphins."

I also know that if you swim with dolphins long enough, they try and get off on you. Dolphin Trainer is a dangerous job.

F-in *****... :lol: :evil: :eek: :D ;) :pirate:

PhinPhan1227
07-28-2003, 10:20 AM

you walked right into my trap.....

Dolphins are gay, unless they need to reproduce!

http://www.worldpolicy.org/globalrights/sexorient/marine-gay.html

"Male Bottlenose Dolphins often form lifelong pair-bonds with each other. Adolescent and younger males typically live in all-male groups in which homosexual activity is common; within these groups, a male begins to develop a strong bond with a particular partner (usually of the same age) with whom he will spend the rest of his life. The two Dolphins become constant companions, often traveling widely; although sexual activity probably declines as they get older, it may continue to be a regular feature of such partnerships. Paired males sometimes take turns guarding or remaining vigilant while their partner rests. They also defend their mates against predators such as sharks and protect them while they are healing from wounds inflicted during preclators’ attacks. Sometimes three males form a tightly bonded trio. On the death of his partner, a male may spend a long time searching for a new male companion—usually unsuccessfully, since most other males in the community are already paired and will not break their bonds. If, however, he can find another “widower” whose male partner has died, the two may become a couple…

The lives of male Bottlenose Dolphins are characterized by extensive bisexuality, combined with periods of exclusive homosexuality. As adolescents and young males, they have regular homosexual interactions in all-male groups, sometimes alternating with heterosexual activity. From age 10 onward, most male Dolphins form pair-bonds with another male, and because they do not usually father calves until they are 20-25 years old, this can be an extended period—10-15 years—of principally same-sex interaction. Later, when they begin mating heterosexually, they still retain their primary male pair-bonds, and in some populations male pairs and trios cooperate in herding females or in interacting homosexually with Spotted Dolphins."

I also know that if you swim with dolphins long enough, they try and get off on you. Dolphin Trainer is a dangerous job.

Well...considering what the average redneck would be doing TO the average Buffalo, I think I'd take the "pitcher" option of a Dolphin to the "reciever" option of a Buffalo...

F-in *****... :lol: :evil: :eek: :D ;) :pirate: :cool: :cool: