PDA

View Full Version : Rush Limbaugh on ESPN now...

MaxPower
07-17-2003, 11:49 AM
You probably heard that Rush will be on COUNTDOWN this season...

I wonder how many of the non-white, non-anglo.saxon players will feel about past Rush comments like:

''Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?''

and

''The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.''

and he once said of African-americans:

"They are 12 percent of the population. Who the hell cares?''

but he's "a fan's fan", according to ESPN....

...wasn't Jimmy "the Greek" run out of sports for saying comaprable stuff?

Maybe Rush can interview Jim Brown...that I would like to see...

PhinPhan1227
07-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by MaxPower

I wonder how many of the non-white, non-anglo.saxon players will feel about past Rush comments like:

''Have you ever noticed how all composite pictures of wanted criminals resemble Jesse Jackson?''

and

''The NAACP should have riot rehearsal. They should get a liquor store and practice robberies.''

Yeah, maybe he can interview Dusty Baker and the two of them can hash out who the bigger racist is. Oh, and for the record, what Jimmy the Greek said was actually based in fact. Dusty however was talking out of his rectum.

MOULDSROCKS
07-18-2003, 01:53 AM
lol @ phinphan.....

that post was moronic.

PhinPhan1227
07-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by MOULDSROCKS
lol @ phinphan.....

that post was moronic.

Care to elaborate? In case you don't let me clarify...While I don't doubt that Jimmy the Greek probably WAS a racist, the comments which got him in trouble WERE factual. Slave owners DID "breed" their slaves to be bigger, stronger and faster. That's not opinion, it's fact. Whether or not that makes black people better athletes than white people is another matter entirely, but Jimmy was factually correct in that statement. Dusty however was factually INcorrect in his statements. Again, they're probably both racists, but the guy who got his facts straight got fired, and the guy who got them wrong still has his job.

MaxPower
07-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

Care to elaborate? In case you don't let me clarify...While I don't doubt that Jimmy the Greek probably WAS a racist, the comments which got him in trouble WERE factual. Slave owners DID "breed" their slaves to be bigger, stronger and faster. That's not opinion, it's fact. Whether or not that makes black people better athletes than white people is another matter entirely, but Jimmy was factually correct in that statement. Dusty however was factually INcorrect in his statements. Again, they're probably both racists, but the guy who got his facts straight got fired, and the guy who got them wrong still has his job.

Yea I got your back on this one. The Greek was stupid ( & drunk if I remember) not incorrect. I just thought it a wee hypocritical for bringing in a guy that said comparable stuff...naked ratings ploy - as if they don't already kick the tail of the other pregame shows...Way to go Disney.

I would like to see Rush talking to Dusty. That would be priceless. Jim Brown was my pick because he's just as militant as Rush on the flip...

Maybe he meant my post was moronic:D

PS that wasn't out to smack Rush (even though I'd like to)...I was seriously wondering what some of the players might think of him. I mean, before they were star atheletes they were kids that Rush did not hold in high esteem....

And BTW I have heard that Rush is a sports fanatic, & knowledgeable. He might know more than some of those guys:lol:

Muck
07-23-2003, 01:41 PM
No matter. Just another reason not to watch ESPN's show. Personally, I don't like ANY of them. They're so watered-down. And they've got so many nice, fluffy stories. WHO CARES!! Let's whave Edge Monday Night Matchup on Sunday mornings. That's what I want. X's and O's, matchups, etc.

Still, I understand why they do it (the fluff). They've got to appeal to the lowest common denominator and draw fans. But jeez, aren't the rest of us tired of that?? Shouldn't the goal be to educate the fan and breed a more intelligent/knowledgable fanbase?? Ah, how I long for the perfect world.

TerryTate
07-24-2003, 01:41 AM
Remember when the Heat radio play-byplay announcer Dave Halberstam (not the sportswriter, i believe there are two of them) was fired for saying that Thomas Jefferson had slaves or something, this guy was a great play-by-play announcer and blew it big time...idiots

mf52dolphin
07-24-2003, 04:05 PM
Actually I like the idea of Rush being on ESPN countdown. I like Rush(ok any fat guy who makes it big I respect being a fat guy myself, and also I am a lifelong right-winger) and enjoy it when he talks about football on his show.
Also Rush does have legitimate sports qualificattions by working 5 years in the Kansas City Royals organization.

PhinPhan1227
07-24-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by ultimateFINFAN
Remember when the Heat radio play-byplay announcer Dave Halberstam (not the sportswriter, i believe there are two of them) was fired for saying that Thomas Jefferson had slaves or something, this guy was a great play-by-play announcer and blew it big time...idiots

I don't remember the incident, but if all he stated was historical fact, he shouldn't have been fired.

Marino1983
07-26-2003, 05:23 PM

and

Just one more reason to avoid ESPN !!!! I realize that he was hired to draw in more viewers but why ANYONE would want to watch an overpaid and OVERWEIGHT political shock (jockless) degrade the game of pro football for 16+ weeks ??

He has NO clue of what the political garbage means that he spews daily on talk radio .. Why should a person think limbaugh will show ANY intelligence in reporting the ongoings for this pro football season ?

All I can say is watch out ESPN... Your ratings are going to fall faster then the yearly hopes of a 500 season by a Bengal fan ...

:goof: :pirate:

Marino1983

ohall
07-26-2003, 07:21 PM

and

That's GREAT news, I can't wait to hear his football opinions.

Oliver...

MOULDSROCKS
07-27-2003, 09:13 PM
If a guy comes over from Puerto Rico to play in the majors, I would assume that he can handle heat better too.

Just like the Dolphins can handle heat better than the Bills and The Bills can handle the cold better.

Am I a racist now? Baker was incorrect in stating that all black/latino players are better in that weather, but his reasoning was logical.

MOULDSROCKS
07-27-2003, 09:17 PM
I don't how how a lard-*** like him can get up the nerve to call Mexicans lazy.....

Seems crazy to me. Mexicans make us look bad with how efficiently they work! lol

Armored Saint
07-28-2003, 03:17 AM
Personally, I don't see what all the fuss is about. Whether you agree with his politics or not, Rush is quite knowledge on sports, especially the NFL. Add to that the fact that he's a very good broadcaster and you could have a recipe for success. I believe he'll fare a lot better than Dennis Miller (who I like, but believe he was miscast for MNF). As for people who are afraid that Rush will inject some politics in his NFL analysis, get real. The man talks about politics three hours a day, five days a week on his own show. I think the Sunday Countdown will provide a nice little diversion.

upstart
08-02-2003, 03:28 PM
Rush Hates the Pats:yell:

WharfRat
08-02-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by donshula

heh ... I like him already!

:jk:

Seriously... he couldn't be any worse than many of them... you don't have to agree with his politics to hear what he has to say about football .... he may even know a thing or two that we don't! ;)

ohall
08-03-2003, 12:01 AM

I knew there was a reason I liked him! :D

Oliver...

Marino1983
08-03-2003, 11:49 AM

Probably one of the FEW positives he possesses !!

:rolleyes2

Marino1983

Barbarian
08-03-2003, 12:52 PM

proof tht everybody has at least one redeeming trait. :D

Dolfan984
08-03-2003, 04:25 PM

Okay, so he might have ONE good quality about him.

t2thejz
08-03-2003, 09:31 PM
Damn straight, he is a smart guy. The #1 radio show in America

Barbarian
08-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by t2thejz
Damn straight, he is a smart guy. The #1 radio show in America

Well, come on.... lets not forget that Howard Stern had that title before Rush, so let's not put too much stock in that.

After all Roesanne was the #1 TV Show for how long?

Americans sadly aren't that discerning when it comes to their entertainment.

templarwd
08-04-2003, 01:55 PM
I'll clear up a few inaccuracies regarding Mr. Limbaugh.
·He WAS fat he now weighs somewhere around 200 @ about 5'10". That's what marring an aerobics instructor will do for you.
·All the comments you brought up are taken out of context. Next time, get more than the sound byte. Remember, he's officially disabled because of his hearing implant. What does that make you for discriminating against the disabled?
·He has no more football knowledge than any of us, because to my knowledge, he never played at any level.
·He will not have the "voice of the fan", unless that fan makes over $10million a year and watches games exclusively from owner's boxes.

iceblizzard69
08-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Barbarian

Well, come on.... lets not forget that Howard Stern had that title before Rush, so let's not put too much stock in that.

After all Roesanne was the #1 TV Show for how long?

Americans sadly aren't that discerning when it comes to their entertainment.

Hey now....Howard Stern is the man. I've been listening to him since I was like 6 years old.

ohall
08-04-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Hey now....Howard Stern is the man. I've been listening to him since I was like 6 years old.

You've been listening to Howard Stern since you were 6? That's just not right man!

Oliver...

Barbarian
08-04-2003, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

LOL... I listened to Howard as well when I was stationed up in NY... but my point is that, while funny, I wouldent trust his views on policy just because he had the #1 rated show (allthough his idea about replacing all of our ambassadors with playboy bunnies was pretty good, hell, we would get anything we wanted from any country then. ;) :lol:

mf52dolphin
08-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by templarwd
I'll clear up a few inaccuracies regarding Mr. Limbaugh.
·He WAS fat he now weighs somewhere around 200 @ about 5'10". That's what marring an aerobics instructor will do for you.

·He has no more football knowledge than any of us, because to my knowledge, he never played at any level.
·He will not have the "voice of the fan", unless that fan makes over $10million a year and watches games exclusively from owner's boxes.

Actually he did play in high school, as a 3rd string offensive lineman. He also was allowed to kick a successful extra point in a blowout game.

iceblizzard69
08-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Barbarian

LOL... I listened to Howard as well when I was stationed up in NY... but my point is that, while funny, I wouldent trust his views on policy just because he had the #1 rated show (allthough his idea about replacing all of our ambassadors with playboy bunnies was pretty good, hell, we would get anything we wanted from any country then. ;) :lol:

I may not agree with everything he says, but he is really funny. Listening to Howard Stern is passed on throughout my family. :cool:

Dolfan984
08-05-2003, 12:26 AM
Howard Stern is great. I'm happy I get him in Cali every weekday morning. :)

Emskirch
08-20-2003, 10:07 AM

and

I really don't want to hear him this year.... oh how thats going to hurt, as much as Dennis Miller did. :yell: