PDA

View Full Version : 360 Hindering GTA IV

Motion
05-04-2007, 02:23 PM
May 3, 2007 - Lately we've seen several examples of publishers and developers favoring the Xbox 360 over the PlayStation 3. Some developers have complained that the PS3 is difficult to develop for, and top publishers have been making previously Sony-exclusive games available on Microsoft's console, where the install base is much higher. But one high-profile developer is sticking up for the PS3.

An interview with the UK's Official PlayStation Magazine reveals that Rockstar's creative VP Dan Houser believes the 360 is impairing the development of Grand Theft Auto IV (http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/827/827005.html). According to the magazine's online partner, Computer and Videogames (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=163233), Houser says the lack of a guaranteed hard drive and the smaller storage space of the DVD format is limiting the game's progress. In contrast, all PS3s have a built-in hard drive and the console's Blu-Ray format can hold about five times as much content as DVD.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/785/785342p1.html

SirDrums
05-04-2007, 02:48 PM
If they need a HD to run their game. THey should come out and let everyone know they cant run or save games in GTA without the HD.
Before everyone gets upset. GHII requires (realisticly) that guitar to play the game.
Besides, after the release of the newest version of the xbox, I doubt there will even be XBOX's sold witjout a HD.

Bruzer
05-04-2007, 02:51 PM
I figured this would happen.. Will it stop gta 4 from being on 360 .. nope. Will there be some content missing from 360 version .. possibly. They very well could remove things from the overall version including ps3 to fit xbox 360 i guess.

Dolfan5000
05-04-2007, 06:40 PM
Now I hope that they don't try to make both sides equal and in turn the PS3 loses content it should have.

Dolfan984
05-04-2007, 07:09 PM
Now I hope that they don't try to make both sides equal and in turn the PS3 loses content it should have.

:yeahthat: it's too bad the 360 is already holding games back hardware wise

Phin-o-rama
05-04-2007, 10:11 PM
just the disk capacity, and all it means is the devs need to work a touch longer to compress the data better ....lazy devs ftl

but hey if they wanna sell 10million LESS copies of GTA , then take it off the 360 by all means....

Bruzer
05-04-2007, 10:51 PM
just the disk capacity, and all it means is the devs need to work a touch longer to compress the data better ....lazy devs ftl

but hey if they wanna sell 10million LESS copies of GTA , then take it off the 360 by all means....

I could see them removing some 360 content instead of taking it off 360.

TheMageGandalf
05-05-2007, 03:44 PM
I could see them removing some 360 content instead of taking it off 360.

Off the disc if anything and onto Xbox Live and thats it your done.

The 360 isnt holding anything back.

I didn't hear them ever complaining about the fact the ps2 platform didnt have a HDD when the other GTA's came out, yet the Xbox 1 had a HDD.

They were more than willing to drop there game out onto a console with lower tier specs and no HDD without ANY hesitation back then, and making the thing exclusive for months on that console to boot.

Motion
05-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Off the disc if anything and onto Xbox Live and thats it your done.

The 360 isnt holding anything back.

I didn't hear them ever complaining about the fact the ps2 platform didnt have a HDD when the other GTA's came out, yet the Xbox 1 had a HDD.

They were more than willing to drop there game out onto a console with lower tier specs and no HDD without ANY hesitation back then, and making the thing exclusive for months on that console to boot.

That doesn't make any sense. Why would they complain? The previous ones were made for PS2 and then ported to Xbox several months later. No comparison with this current issue.

On top of that the Standard 360 could very well be hindering the development, every PS3 comes with a HD, whether it be 20 GB or 60GB. 360 doesn't so of course most cross platform games are going to be programmed for the basic system. Microsoft needs to do what Sony did and axe the basic model, especially with the "Elite" coming out, it would be good for everyone.

Phinz420
05-05-2007, 05:30 PM
That doesn't make any sense. Why would they complain? The previous ones were made for PS2 and then ported to Xbox several months later. No comparison with this current issue.

Not only that, but a direct comparison of a game developed in standard definition with a next-gen HD title is silly in the first place. Hard Drives were not a big issue with consoles until the Hi-Def era arrived. Previously all Hard Drives were even used for were a replacement for memory cards & a requirement to run a MMO(because of the constant updates to the games) on consoles.

In the "next-gen" era, a lot more can be done using extra capacity.

I would have to imagine that down the road, there will be more and more games that will be able to take advantage of disk capacity on both the hard drives and the disks themselves.

VanDolPhan
05-05-2007, 11:18 PM
Pure fluff.

Any coder worth his salt is going to tell you the drive speed matters a heck of a lot more then the capacity. Compression techniques are amazing these days.

But yah I'm amazed not every console came with a harddrive since they were the one that brought it to the forefront. Doubt they make that mistake next time around.

TheMageGandalf
05-06-2007, 01:48 AM

Dude of course it makes sense, its the same thing just vice versa this time around.

They were only 'made for the PS2' because of the exclusive deal with Sony.

Had they been made exclusive to the XBOX1 first, I am sure they'd have said the samething about having to hold back the game because 95% of PS2 owners lacked a HDD and the PS2 had lower specs than the XBOX1.

However, since that was not the case, they went ahead and developed a game that the PS2 owners could enjoy first and if/when they ported it they'd figure out what to do and what they could easily improve and leave it at that.

This time around, the game isn't so exclusive. So they can't just sit back and say "OK, lets develop it like this, and then just port it over and whatever."

Since they have to actually work to the strengths of each console, at the sametime, they are comming out with comments like these, which of course back in the day due to the exclusives deals they wouldn't need to worry about it, and could be lazy, and just work to the strengths of one console. They'd rake in the cash flow until they could finally just spit out a ported version for the other console and rake in the money again....less work overall.

Motion
05-06-2007, 08:32 AM
Dude of course it makes sense, its the same thing just vice versa this time around.

They were only 'made for the PS2' because of the exclusive deal with Sony.

Had they been made exclusive to the XBOX1 first, I am sure they'd have said the samething about having to hold back the game because 95% of PS2 owners lacked a HDD and the PS2 had lower specs than the XBOX1.

However, since that was not the case, they went ahead and developed a game that the PS2 owners could enjoy first and if/when they ported it they'd figure out what to do and what they could easily improve and leave it at that.

This time around, the game isn't so exclusive. So they can't just sit back and say "OK, lets develop it like this, and then just port it over and whatever."

Since they have to actually work to the strengths of each console, at the sametime, they are comming out with comments like these, which of course back in the day due to the exclusives deals they wouldn't need to worry about it, and could be lazy, and just work to the strengths of one console. They'd rake in the cash flow until they could finally just spit out a ported version for the other console and rake in the money again....less work overall.

:err:

Now thats different, that basically exactly what I said. That was my point the game wasn't made for Xbox and its HDD first, because of the exclusive deal. The game was made for a Non-HDD console in the first place last time and ported months later which has nothing to do with this current issue because they are lauching cross platform at the same time. Hence the issue this time is every system has a HDD except the standard 360 which is what they are complaining about.

mor911
05-06-2007, 07:17 PM
It was always weird to me why Microsoft even made a non-harddrive version of the 360. It's kinda like the rumble feature in the PS3 controller. Why take a step backward in technology? The original xbox's all had harddrives, why would they take then out of some 360s? Silly Microsoft.

Phin-o-rama
05-06-2007, 07:57 PM
agreed

Megatron
05-07-2007, 02:19 PM
I don't even see what is so "elite" about the elite anyway. Ok it has an HDMI port and upconverts previous 1080i and 720p content to 1080p. But you can't conceivably make next-gen games on typical DVD media so you have to have the HD-DVD accessory to have access to actual 1080p content. Why not just put a HD-DVD burned in it to begin with??? There's an answer to this that was confirmed by my Microsoft rep: Microsoft does not want to be married to HD-DVD if Blu-ray wins and they already have a Blu-ray player design on the shelf waiting for the outcome.

Phin-o-rama
05-07-2007, 02:26 PM
I don't even see what is so "elite" about the elite anyway. Ok it has an HDMI port and upconverts previous 1080i and 720p content to 1080p. But you can't conceivably make next-gen games on typical DVD media so you have to have the HD-DVD accessory to have access to actual 1080p content. Why not just put a HD-DVD burned in it to begin with??? There's an answer to this that was confirmed by my Microsoft rep: Microsoft does not want to be married to HD-DVD if Blu-ray wins and they already have a Blu-ray player design on the shelf waiting for the outcome.

i play all my 360 games at 1080p NOW...

can't conceivably make next gen games? they been doing it for 1.5 years already...also the hd-dvd add-on has nothing to do with games and never will...

and yes, they don't want to be married to hd-dvd OR blu ray because its quite possible that NEITHER will succeed....

Dol-Fan Dupree
05-07-2007, 02:32 PM

can't conceivably make next gen games? they been doing it for 1.5 years already...also the hd-dvd add-on has nothing to do with games and never will...

and yes, they don't want to be married to hd-dvd OR blu ray because its quite possible that NEITHER will succeed....

never will? I highly doubt that unless something better comes out in a few years that just blows both away.

I still don't understand Microsoft's decision about hard drive. I thought that was the coolest thing about the Xbox.

Megatron
05-07-2007, 02:42 PM

and yes, they don't want to be married to hd-dvd OR blu ray because its quite possible that NEITHER will succeed.... With component video connectors??? You play 1080i my friend don't kid yourself. HD-DVD content is the true "next-gen" media for your console because of the higher storage capacity. There are no games written for the stock XBOX360 console that are 1080p to my knowledge, as well what sized TV do you use? If it smaller than 36" 1080p would be a wasted exercise even if you could play it back. That the point of this new player it CAN output 1080p, not just 1080i like the original XBOX360.

Phin-o-rama
05-07-2007, 02:51 PM
With component video connectors??? You play 1080i my friend don't kid yourself. HD-DVD content is the true "next-gen" media for your console because of the higher storage capacity. There are no games written for the stock XBOX360 console that are 1080p to my knowledge, as well what sized TV do you use? If it smaller than 36" 1080p would be a wasted exercise even if you could play it back. That the point of this new player it CAN output 1080p, not just 1080i like the original XBOX360.

you are wrong

1- i use vga, and play at 1920 x 1080 (1080p ...its just a resolution)

2- M$ released an update last year that enable 1080p over component/vga...yes games can be played at 1080p over component...it comes down to can your particular display accept 1080p over component or vga...mine does on both (and hdmi) its a 37" lcd.

3- while most games are encoded in 720p and 1080i on the 360, there have been several that are truly coded in 1080p already..virtua tennis 3 being one, and i cant renember the other 2...

lets recap

over component:
the original 360 can output 1080p for games and up to 1080i for hd-dvd's
the oridinal 360 can upscale standard dvd's to 480p also over component
-this has to do with the copyright issues that movies are dealing with

over vga:
the original 360 can output 1080p for games and 1080p for hd-dvd's
the original 360 can upscale standard dvd's to 720p or 1080i also over vga
-this has to do with the fact that vga is considered a computer connection and thus bypasses the copyright issues.

elite with hdmi:
same as vga

Motion
05-07-2007, 03:02 PM
:jt0323:

Dolfan5000
05-07-2007, 04:30 PM
you are wrong

1- i use vga, and play at 1920 x 1080 (1080p ...its just a resolution)

2- M$ released an update last year that enable 1080p over component/vga...yes games can be played at 1080p over component...it comes down to can your particular display accept 1080p over component or vga...mine does on both (and hdmi) its a 37" lcd.

3- while most games are encoded in 720p and 1080i on the 360, there have been several that are truly coded in 1080p already..virtua tennis 3 being one, and i cant renember the other 2...

lets recap

over component:
the original 360 can output 1080p for games and up to 1080i for hd-dvd's
the oridinal 360 can upscale standard dvd's to 480p also over component
-this has to do with the copyright issues that movies are dealing with

over vga:
the original 360 can output 1080p for games and 1080p for hd-dvd's
the original 360 can upscale standard dvd's to 720p or 1080i also over vga
-this has to do with the fact that vga is considered a computer connection and thus bypasses the copyright issues.

elite with hdmi:
same as vga
ahh, I can just plug my PS3 into my 1080p t.v. via hdmi and I'm off. Sorry it's not that easy for you.

lol :bighug:

Phin-o-rama
05-07-2007, 04:45 PM
and play what?

:)

Dolfan5000
05-07-2007, 04:59 PM
and play what?

Let me see
Motorstorm, Resistance, Armored Core 4, Virtua Fighter 5, Spiderman 3

muscle979
05-07-2007, 11:54 PM
Let me see
Motorstorm, Resistance, Armored Core 4, Virtua Fighter 5, Spiderman 3

I just played Resistance for the first time today. Great game. Also viewed in 1080p via HDMI plugged directly into my plasma. :)

Phin-o-rama
05-08-2007, 08:06 AM
bleh, tv speakers ftl :)

muscle979
05-08-2007, 12:26 PM
bleh, tv speakers ftl :)

It's cool I don't use the TV's speakers. I've got some big sony speakers hooked up. :cooldude: