PDA

View Full Version : Vacation suggestions.....

Predaphin
07-22-2003, 03:18 AM
Looks like i'll be traveling some soon ,Is there any place you guys recommend for vacation???? Ive never left the state of California other than to visit family in Mexico and Reno, Nevada...However my Girlfreind is taking a vacation for a week at work soon (well, between late OCT- late DEC) and shes asked me where we should go....First thing that popped in my mind was ...where else but Miami!!.. and catch a Dolphins game....but the way our Dolphins schedule is we are away most of NOV. and DEC..and I want to be home for the holidays....we do have a Monday Night game against philly on Dec.15...but this being my first Dolphins game, i wanted to catch all the excitment Sunday afternoon....and there are no other games except maybe Indy in early Nov. or Jets after Christmas..(which i heard are sold out)....I am also getting married sometime mid March next year and we are debating where we should go for a honeymoon....I really want to go to the Bahamas or Hawaii.....You guys have any other recommendations????? somewhere youve been to that you really liked?or somewhere youd like to go?? ...BTW whats the weather like in FL late in the year???......

Clumpy
07-22-2003, 05:47 AM
Buffalo is beautiful during that time of the year. If you come up Dec 21 st, you'll be able to catch the Fins game here ;)

Predaphin
07-22-2003, 01:21 PM
ha ha ha very funny clump.....i said i wanted to go on vacation to relax, not get beat up.

baccarat
07-22-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Predaphin34
ha ha ha very funny clump.....i said i wanted to go on vacation to relax, not get beat up.

I'd warn you to go to a Bills game. They will try to attack you. I remember going to a game November 2nd, 1997, when I was about 11 or 12 in Orchard Park and I wore a Dolphins jacket. A bunch of druken hillbillies started throwing beer down towards me and yelled very obscene things at me about myself and Dan Marino. Ralph Wilson Stadium is not a friendly place.

As far as vacationing, I would love to go to Jamaica. It looks like a great place to visit but I can't speak from expirence.

Clumpy
07-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Wee half know hillbillys inn westurn nu yurk

dolphan39
07-22-2003, 03:14 PM
if you live in CA and yoo do not go to see a Phins I would go to Maui and Kaui there are incredible

baccarat
07-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Wee half know hillbillys inn westurn nu yurk

Maybe they were from

FINALLY done moving across the street

Peebs
07-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Two words:

LAS VEGAS

It's an Adult Disney World!

Prime Time
07-22-2003, 10:25 PM
Las Vegas is MAD fun if you are older. I have been there twice and seen some nice things. Too bad I couldn't go inside their and see the rest :lol:. Oh well only 6 years to go!

baccarat
07-22-2003, 10:28 PM
If you go to Las Vegas, don't go hunting for naked women.

zonk39
07-22-2003, 10:31 PM
My 2 cents.

Come to the Philly game on Monday night. It gets wild on Monday night games. You can tailgate with us.

For Honeymoon here my top three places I would go.

1- Sandals Resort Jamaica
2- Hawaii
3- Cruise the Carribbean

Miamian
07-22-2003, 11:32 PM
My two cents:

I've traveled quite a bit lately.

Here are some of my favorite places:

New Orleans: It's a lot of fun. I was alone (with a girl would be better) for a week and had blast.

Brazil: I've never met anyone friendlier than Brazilians. Two separate cases: one in Rio and again in Sao Paulo, I'm walking around like an obvious tourist and people in business suits would approach me and ask in excellent English if I was lost and looking for something. Then leading me to the site and talking with whomever would be needed in Portuguese for however long necessary to help me out and then walking off with "Enjoy your stay in Brazil!" For partying Salvador is awesome. They don't sleep.

Paris: The whole reputation of snobbery is a bunch of b.s. I was there for a week and got it a couple of times, but mostly people were just like anyone else. Not overtly friendly like Brazilians (see above), but not hostile either. Also Orleans is a very pretty city.

In the Caribbean Dominica has extraodinary sights. A volcanic lake that literally boils and beautiful scenery. San Juan is good for partying.

In Mexico, the city of Merida is a jewel. So incredibly beautiful and cultured and a great base to see the ruins like Chichen Itza, Kabah, and Uxmal.

In Guatemala, Tikal is also impressive and Antigua is one of the prettiest towns you may see. The view of the volcano known as Agua from anywhere in the town is impressive. Lake Atitlan is breathtakingly beautiful. Copan is just across the border in Honduras and it's not impressive for scale, but for intricate artwork.

In Belgium, the town of Ghent is a real jaw-dropper, but I'm probably biased in that direction because of my profession. Antwerp is one of the best cities I've been for culture.

My favorite place in Italy so far is Siena. Very pretty. If you go to Rome, watch out! Everyone is running some kind of scam. I lost $400.

Clumpy
07-23-2003, 12:43 AM
I still think Buffalo in December would make for an interesting and fun vacation :D

XoPhinsoX
07-23-2003, 11:43 AM
I'd go to the Philly game to (Duper/Clayton getting honored that game) so why not eh?

It all depends what you wanna do on vacation.

I've been to the Bahamas, Caymans, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Mexico, St. Thomas, so I have a lot of experience ;).

So, what do you plan on doing? Bahamas and Caymans pwn for snorkeling and stuff like that ;).

http://11thhour.skyauction.com/action/publicSearch?acsoon=1&psf=1

You can bid on cruises and stuff on that site, so you beable to get them cheaper then what they even are now. .

M-REAL
07-23-2003, 12:14 PM
Go to Islands of Adventure in Orlando, FLA. if you like rollercoasters and fun rides like that. From Orlando to where the Fins play it's only about a four hour drive south. Well then again, it depends on how fast you drive.:D BTW, the weather is around 70 degrees in the day and 50-60 degrees at night around that time of the year.

miadphan13
07-29-2003, 12:29 AM
I have been a travel agent for 8 years now. Here is a list of places most of my clients go on their honeymoon.

1) Jamaica - Can be expensive. Sandals and SuperClubs resorts are 5 or 6 star properties, but your food, drinks and non-motorized water sports are included. If you want risque, Hedonism 2 and 3 are popular.

2) Hawaii - Expensive, but has become slightly cheaper since 9/11. Great non-stop flights out of Cali. Packages can include 1, 2 or 3 islands, also inner-island flights and car rentals.

3) Tahiti & Fiji Islands - Expensive, but a once in a lifetime trip. Over the water bungalows......need I say more.

4) Europe - Great deals right now. I have seen deals come through the office for 2nd person flies to Europe for $1 sales. I booked a guy to Switzerland during that sale and saved him $1400. They are really hurting since 9/11 and they are giving Europe away right now.

5) Dominican Republic - Good rates in Punta Cana. Up and coming island with slow economy. Most resorts are all-inclusive like Jamaica. A great couples type resort would be Secrets Excellence. It is 18+ and jacuzzis in every room.

6) Rivera Maya, Mexico - Good rates, bad economy. Brand new all-inclusive hotels South of Cancun. Not crowded and over-commercialized like Cancun.

7) Costa Rica & Belize - Expensive, but unique Ecotourism. You can stay in a luxury hotel in the middle of a rain forest, explore volcanos, go whitewater rafting or dive in Ambergris Caye.

It really depends on the activities you like to do. If you like to dive, then I would also recommend Grand Caymen, Cozumel or even Bonaire. If you want nightlife, then I would recommend Jamaica or Cancun.

A Hawaiian or Caribbean cruise would be a good recommendation. NCL (Norwegian cruise lines) has a great Hawaiian cruise around several islands and Fanning Island. There is no gambling on board because of being in US waters and a passport is required to board because of Fanning Island. You would fly into Honolulu.

There are several Caribbean itinenaries. You could do a Eastern, Western or Exotic Southern cruise. Most ships depart from the Port of Miami, so you could do a game and a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas. The ships these days are 88,000 to 110,000 gross tons, like floating resorts. Royal Caribbean's newer ships even have ice skating rinks on board. I wouldn't be surprised to see rollercoasters next. :lol:

If you would like my help, please PM me and I can mail you some brochures with my business card. Clump knows I am for real! :D

Clumpy
07-29-2003, 04:58 AM
:foundout:

:jk:

I highly recommend Michele :up:

Even though I'm a Bills fan, she helped me with my trip to see the Bills 23-10 win in Pro Player Stadium last October ;)

I'm still trying to get the $$$ together to make a return trip in Sept and have already rec'd assistance from her :)

iceblizzard69
07-29-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Miamian

In Belgium, the town of Ghent is a real jaw-dropper, but I'm probably biased in that direction because of my profession. Antwerp is one of the best cities I've been for culture.

You liked Belgium? When I was in Amsterdam, me and my mom decided to take a one night trip down to Brussels. The only good thing there was the French Fries, because there was absolutely nothing to do there.

If someone wants to go to Europe, Amsterdam is clearly the place to go. The city is just awesome.

Scrap
07-29-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by miadphan13
I have been a travel agent for 8 years now. Here is a list of places most of my clients go on their honeymoon.

1) Jamaica - Can be expensive. Sandals and SuperClubs resorts are 5 or 6 star properties, but your food, drinks and non-motorized water sports are included. If you want risque, Hedonism 2 and 3 are popular.

2) Hawaii - Expensive, but has become slightly cheaper since 9/11. Great non-stop flights out of Cali. Packages can include 1, 2 or 3 islands, also inner-island flights and car rentals.

3) Tahiti & Fiji Islands - Expensive, but a once in a lifetime trip. Over the water bungalows......need I say more.

4) Europe - Great deals right now. I have seen deals come through the office for 2nd person flies to Europe for $1 sales. I booked a guy to Switzerland during that sale and saved him $1400. They are really hurting since 9/11 and they are giving Europe away right now.

5) Dominican Republic - Good rates in Punta Cana. Up and coming island with slow economy. Most resorts are all-inclusive like Jamaica. A great couples type resort would be Secrets Excellence. It is 18+ and jacuzzis in every room.

6) Rivera Maya, Mexico - Good rates, bad economy. Brand new all-inclusive hotels South of Cancun. Not crowded and over-commercialized like Cancun.

7) Costa Rica & Belize - Expensive, but unique Ecotourism. You can stay in a luxury hotel in the middle of a rain forest, explore volcanos, go whitewater rafting or dive in Ambergris Caye.

It really depends on the activities you like to do. If you like to dive, then I would also recommend Grand Caymen, Cozumel or even Bonaire. If you want nightlife, then I would recommend Jamaica or Cancun.

A Hawaiian or Caribbean cruise would be a good recommendation. NCL (Norwegian cruise lines) has a great Hawaiian cruise around several islands and Fanning Island. There is no gambling on board because of being in US waters and a passport is required to board because of Fanning Island. You would fly into Honolulu.

There are several Caribbean itinenaries. You could do a Eastern, Western or Exotic Southern cruise. Most ships depart from the Port of Miami, so you could do a game and a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas. The ships these days are 88,000 to 110,000 gross tons, like floating resorts. Royal Caribbean's newer ships even have ice skating rinks on board. I wouldn't be surprised to see rollercoasters next. :lol:

If you would like my help, please PM me and I can mail you some brochures with my business card. Clump knows I am for real! :D

Hey Miadphan13,

My fiance' and I have been thinking about doing the Disneyworld thing in a few years. Would you be willing to help us out? Due to your location, I think you'ld be better than the travel agents we have around here.

miadphan13
07-29-2003, 04:28 PM
Of course I can help. I was born in Orlando 32 years ago and grew up on Disney. I have done site inspections on most of their hotels and can help you select the right one for you. Just PM me your ideas and I can price some things for you. I can even mail you out their current brochure. :) I am the head of the tour department for a large full service travel agency with over 600 outside agents. I can help you with anything. :)

Scrap
07-29-2003, 04:53 PM
Thanks.I'll talk with her tonight, and get back with you soon.

Miamian
07-29-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

You liked Belgium? When I was in Amsterdam, me and my mom decided to take a one night trip down to Brussels. The only good thing there was the French Fries, because there was absolutely nothing to do there.

If someone wants to go to Europe, Amsterdam is clearly the place to go. The city is just awesome. Brussels is not a tourist town. It's really more business-oriented and has an air of regality being the capital of Europe.

You can go there to appreciate architecture. That's a big thing for me, being a city planner. For one thing, the Grande Place is quite probably the most beautiful civic square in the world and the Ilot Sacre from the Gallerie St. Hubert is a nice walk. There are a couple of good museums and the cathedral isn't Europes finest, but not the worst either. Mussels are the culinary specialty and places abound to eat them especially along the Ilot Sacre. It also has an interesting, albeit frustrating street network, very medieval with all the unexpected directions. Of course, there's Mannekin Pis, which is difficult to see with all the tourists standing around him gawking and giggling.

Ghent, though is really the prettier of the two cities. Also medieval, but the delicate ornate detailing in the buildings surpasses most other places I've seen. Also, the line of sight along the towers creates a stunning vista and the Groselai is a really pleasant, interesting walk along the shore.

Antwerp is probably the best city I've been in for museums (I'm going to Mexico City at the end of next month, so that'll be put to the test). There's an incredible variety of museums and the displays keep your attention rapt. The cathedral is the largest in the Low Countries and impresses quite well and the Kaserlai is also a nice walk and good place to window shop (buy if you can afford it). Antwerp is second only to Amsterdam in diamond exchange and the Diamond District is really interesting especially when you see a sudden concentration of Hasidic Jews.

I really don't like Amsterdam for a number of reasons. It's extremely disorienting. You swear you're walking in a certain direction, until you realize that you should've reached your destination fifteen minutes ago and find out it's in the opposite direction. That's a sign of bad planning. I also personally detest the smell of marijuana and found it difficult to find a bar that wasn't engulfed in pot smoke. It's also the only city I've ever visited, including many in Latin America, where I've almost gotten into fistfights. The most aggressive panhandler I've ever encountered in my life who followed me for blocks, zigzagging across the street. Then some idiot who threatened me because I took a picture of the street in which he happened to be walking along with hundreds of other people.

On the plus side, there is a smattering of good architecture and the cosmopolitan mix of people is probably among the most varied there is. But, there are a lot of places in Europe for nightlife and for grandeur nothing tops Paris.

iceblizzard69
07-29-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Miamian
Brussels is not a tourist town. It's really more business-oriented and has an air of regality being the capital of Europe.

You can go there to appreciate architecture. That's a big thing for me, being a city planner. For one thing, the Grande Place is quite probably the most beautiful civic square in the world and the Ilot Sacre from the Gallerie St. Hubert is a nice walk. There are a couple of good museums and the cathedral isn't Europes finest, but not the worst either. Mussels are the culinary specialty and places abound to eat them especially along the Ilot Sacre. It also has an interesting, albeit frustrating street network, very medieval with all the unexpected directions. Of course, there's Mannekin Pis, which is difficult to see with all the tourists standing around him gawking and giggling.

Ghent, though is really the prettier of the two cities. Also medieval, but the delicate ornate detailing in the buildings surpasses most other places I've seen. Also, the line of sight along the towers creates a stunning vista and the Groselai is a really pleasant, interesting walk along the shore.

Antwerp is probably the best city I've been in for museums (I'm going to Mexico City at the end of next month, so that'll be put to the test). There's an incredible variety of museums and the displays keep your attention rapt. The cathedral is the largest in the Low Countries and impresses quite well and the Kaserlai is also a nice walk and good place to window shop (buy if you can afford it). Antwerp is second only to Amsterdam in diamond exchange and the Diamond District is really interesting especially when you see a sudden concentration of Hasidic Jews.

I really don't like Amsterdam for a number of reasons. It's extremely disorienting. You swear you're walking in a certain direction, until you realize that you should've reached your destination fifteen minutes ago and find out it's in the opposite direction. That's a sign of bad planning. I also personally detest the smell of marijuana and found it difficult to find a bar that wasn't engulfed in pot smoke. It's also the only city I've ever visited, including many in Latin America, where I've almost gotten into fistfights. The most aggressive panhandler I've ever encountered in my life who followed me for blocks, zigzagging across the street. Then some idiot who threatened me because I took a picture of the street in which he happened to be walking along with hundreds of other people.

On the plus side, there is a smattering of good architecture and the cosmopolitan mix of people is probably among the most varied there is. But, there are a lot of places in Europe for nightlife and for grandeur nothing tops Paris.

The Mannekin Pis was classic. It was probably the only part of Brussels that I liked. I was disapointed in its size (I thought it would be bigger) but having a statue of a pissing baby was just way too funny. Also, the center of the city in Brussels was really nice. It is a pretty city with nothing to do. And Yes, it is considered the capital of Europe because NATO is there.

I personally loved Amsterdam. I had fun the whole time I was there. There was a lot to do (I am not a big fan of Museums but there are a ton of them) and all the water was really cool, espicially since you can ride through the city via water. However, the city is pretty hard to get through, and is very small. I remember that it took me forever to get to the Anne Frank house.

One place I really want to go to is England. I have also been to Germany and had a lot of fun there. I want to go back in 2006 for the World Cup if the USA gets in (which they probably will).

Miamian
07-29-2003, 11:12 PM
The thing about Mannekin Pis is that it wasn't planned like a lot of the monuments that you'll find in Europe with a grand scale in a plaza, etc. It was just someone's warped sense of humor and then others walking by and saying HAHA.

To each his own with the rest. I personally can't give you information on England, since I've never been there; but a lot of my colleagues speak highly of it, London particularly.

If you don't mind, I have one piece of advice. It's pretty common in Europe to run a scam in bars where girls...pardon me, bimbos (and they're not always pretty) will sit down next to you and then the bartender just happens to be there to ask you if you want to buy her a drink. I got ripped off for $400 that way in Rome (probably my all-time hate-city). There was even a human plant outside to draw me in. Someone sitting at a restaurant in the Jewish Quarter told me of a similar incident in Amsterdam, so you can take for granted that this practice is widespread all over the continent.

Capt. Dick
07-29-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by miadphan13
Of course I can help. I was born in Orlando 32 years ago and grew up on Disney. I have done site inspections on most of their hotels and can help you select the right one for you. Just PM me your ideas and I can price some things for you. I can even mail you out their current brochure. :) I am the head of the tour department for a large full service travel agency with over 600 outside agents. I can help you with anything. :)

Hi Michele....you were born right around the time that Disney opened. I was one of the original employees. Front desk at the Polynesian. I quit after a few months because the pay was for sh!t. (pre-union). It was still an interesting experience tho. Are going to the Buffalo game on the 21st ?

miadphan13
07-29-2003, 11:58 PM
Disney still pays sh!t from what I hear, but I worked for Universal Studios Vacations and their pay wasn't too much better. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am going to the Bills game as soon as AJ sells me some tickets. :)

dean_siu
07-30-2003, 12:57 PM
I'd have to concur with a couple of the suggestions here.....

As a Vegas resident, this city is a great place to visit anytime....and if you come during football season, you're always welcome to join us at Tommy Rockers to watch the game! I'll also help you out with many other suggestions depending upon the time of your trip...just let me know if this is the route you decide to go.

Also, if you are really looking for getaway....go to Fiji! I just got back from there a couple of months ago and it was the most outstanding place I've ever visited. If you go there, be sure to spend at least part of your trip at Castaway Island (www.castawayfiji.com)....this resort is fantastic and the employees on the island take the best care of you...can't recommend it enough!

mf52dolphin
07-30-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Predaphin34
Looks like i'll be traveling some soon ,Is there any place you guys recommend for vacation???? Ive never left the state of California other than to visit family in Mexico and Reno, Nevada...However my Girlfreind is taking a vacation for a week at work soon (well, between late OCT- late DEC) and shes asked me where we should go....First thing that popped in my mind was ...where else but Miami!!.. and catch a Dolphins game....but the way our Dolphins schedule is we are away most of NOV. and DEC..and I want to be home for the holidays....we do have a Monday Night game against philly on Dec.15...but this being my first Dolphins game, i wanted to catch all the excitment Sunday afternoon....and there are no other games except maybe Indy in early Nov. or Jets after Christmas..(which i heard are sold out)....I am also getting married sometime mid March next year and we are debating where we should go for a honeymoon....I really want to go to the Bahamas or Hawaii.....You guys have any other recommendations????? somewhere youve been to that you really liked?or somewhere youd like to go?? ...BTW whats the weather like in FL late in the year???......

Well Predafin I would suggest that you take your lady on a trip to the Miami area for either the November 2nd home game against the Colts, or the November 16th game against the Ravens.
On the trip prior to going to the game, you should spend at least a couple of days on the keys(I found Key Largo to be very similiar to Hawaii). When headed back toward Miami you should go to Gatorland in Florida City(near Homestead) and take an airboat ride. As for going northward from Miami along the Atlantic the Nasa center at Cape Canaveral is great to see.
I fianally made it to Florida last December for the back to back Monday night game and the Raider game. I went to Gatorland during the afternoon of the Monday night game(considering it downpoured during the game that turned out to be one of the wildest days of my life). Between the games I went to NASA on the Wendsday, which was great, and to the Disney properties, which were disapointing and the weather was lousy there, Thursday through Saturday. Also being without computer access over there I was not able to get in contact with locals that could have helped out(also missed a chance to meet Michele :cry: and get help on better hotel deals).
One thing to watch out for is the Turnpike. That can cost a lot of money. The tolls are really bad near Disney. Also the only real way from NASA to to Orlando is toll Turnpike. Also it's about $12 in tolls to get from the Disney zone back to the Miami area without taking an additional 100 mile detour.

miadphan13
07-31-2003, 11:19 PM
That is true about the toll road is Florida. Everytime I go to Miami for a game I have to pay like $13 roundtrip, but it saves me time. I also change to Interstate 95 in Fort Pierce to save some cash. Sorry you had souch a crappy time in Orlando. The weather can be quite unpredictable.