PDA

View Full Version : California Governor Gray Davis

TerryTate
07-22-2003, 09:05 PM
All i hear is talk about how crappy Governor Gray Davis is....i havent been paying attention to Cali, since i dont live there, can someone tell me why this guy is so bad to the point where they want to petition this guy out of office?

baccarat
07-22-2003, 09:24 PM
Debt and energy crisis are the two biggest reasons I hear people want the recall. He's very incompetent. He's very unpopular in California, which is probably the most liberal state and keep in mind he's a Democrat.

Dolfan984
07-23-2003, 03:24 AM
I'm a liberal and I think Gray Davis is an idiot.

Then again, Simon would have been worse, but there is definately a need for change.

mf52dolphin
07-24-2003, 04:19 PM
Well as a lifelong Californian(also a lifelong Conservative) Gray Davis has been the worst Governor in my lifetime.
Davis is basicly a beuaracrat. His whole carrer has been working for the state as either an advisor or as an elected official. He has not worked in the private sector at all. He has always been more concerned with funraising and alliances instead of problem solving. He has shown no innovation in office. He always blames others for his mistakes. He also is unlikable, and shows no ability to inspire anyone.
It was a shame that Arnold Schwartenager declined to run in 2002 due to some allegations in 2001 that he having numerous romantic affairs.

Armored Saint
07-28-2003, 03:29 AM
Bad sign for Gray: 800,000 to 900,000 signatures were needed to schedule the recall initiative and the effort rounded up 1.3 million.

Although I think Davis is an incompetent boob, I'm actually torn on the issue of a recall. After all, California voters just re-elected the guy last November. A little late in the game to express "buyer's remorse", wouldn't ya say? Plus, I want California preserved as a shining example of Democratic hegemony run amok.

OTOH, California's fortunes (or in this case, misfortunes) do affect the rest of the nation, so a recall could be just what the doctor ordered.

Barbarian
07-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Okay, facts are, the GOP is pissy because they lost an election that they were sure that they would win.

I'm no big fan of Davis, but I find it ironic that his biggest mistake was going along with the Republicans and deregulating the Energy market (as a power plant operator here in Clifornia, I keep up on theese things a bit)

So Davis' biggest mastake was acting like a republican once... and now the GOP want's him out.

Oh, sure the econamy is poor out here, but whose fault is that?

Did Davis have anything to do with the National recession?

Fact is that Californias Debt, while the highest in the nation is actually one of the lowest as a percentage of the actual size of that states economy.

Well, theres the budget impasse then, Davis must be responsable for that...

Wrong again, Davis isn't recieving budgets to turn down, fact is, the legislature isn't even sending him one to sign. Thats the fault of the State Legislature, not the Governer.

Well, Californias credit rating was just dropped to the lowest in the Nation according to Stndard and Poors rankings, that must be Davis' fault.

Sorry, but nope, wrong again. Acually the credit ranking (which was admittedly not gret, but not an embarressment) was not just dropped, but actually skipped 2 rankings and was dropped to an insanely low BBB- ranking, S&P's reasoning for the drop? They said they did it because of the recall effort.

Basically, the recall is nothing more than a sham by a small minority that is stretching the truth like it was a plasticman doll in an effort to steal the Governors seat because they couldent win it during a real election. A move that will cost the state not only the 30 million dollars that the election will cost, but now will cost several hundreds of millions of dollars in bonds due to our credit ranking drop.

P4E
08-22-2003, 05:19 AM
Live by the sword, die by the sword.

When the Republicans were conductiong a primary to select a candidate to run against Democrat Gray Davis there were two major candidates. One was William Riordan, the popular MODERATE-Republican former Mayor of Los Angeles. The other was William Simon, a pretty FAR-RIGHT Republican businessman with little support beyond the hard-core Rebublican base. Democrat Gray Davis was projected to LOSE to Riordan, but he could potentially beat William Simon.

Notwithstanding that the Republican Primary is the contest in which Republican voters get to choose their candidate, Democrat Gray Davis spent many millions on ads trashing William Riordan during the REPUBLCAN primary. He knew he couldn't beat Riordan if Riordan was the Republican nominee. It worked. Simon narrowly defeated Riordan -- with Gray Davis' help -- and Gray Davis got to run against a right-winger, instead of the man most saw as most capable of governing the state in a difficult time.

But it wasn't about the state, or its citizens, or the Republicans selecting their own candidate without tampering, -- it was all about Gray Davis and his singular goal of staying in power.

Thereafter, Gray Davis refused to release public information that would reveal the extent of his Administration's fiscal mismanagement. Oh, ... he got around to it AFTER forcing voters to vote in the dark. Once he was re-elected, he matter-of-factly reveals a budget gap of $38 Billion.

Gray Davis has got it coming. It is simple justice that his sorry *** is thrown out of office.

Sorry, wrong again: The guy is a useless piece of deceitful sh*t.

PhinPhan1227
08-22-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Barbarian
Okay, facts are, the GOP is pissy because they lost an election that they were sure that they would win.

I'm no big fan of Davis, but I find it ironic that his biggest mistake was going along with the Republicans and deregulating the Energy market (as a power plant operator here in Clifornia, I keep up on theese things a bit)

So Davis' biggest mastake was acting like a republican once... and now the GOP want's him out.

Oh, sure the econamy is poor out here, but whose fault is that?

Did Davis have anything to do with the National recession?

Fact is that Californias Debt, while the highest in the nation is actually one of the lowest as a percentage of the actual size of that states economy.

Well, theres the budget impasse then, Davis must be responsable for that...

Wrong again, Davis isn't recieving budgets to turn down, fact is, the legislature isn't even sending him one to sign. Thats the fault of the State Legislature, not the Governer.

Well, Californias credit rating was just dropped to the lowest in the Nation according to Stndard and Poors rankings, that must be Davis' fault.

Sorry, but nope, wrong again. Acually the credit ranking (which was admittedly not gret, but not an embarressment) was not just dropped, but actually skipped 2 rankings and was dropped to an insanely low BBB- ranking, S&P's reasoning for the drop? They said they did it because of the recall effort.

Basically, the recall is nothing more than a sham by a small minority that is stretching the truth like it was a plasticman doll in an effort to steal the Governors seat because they couldent win it during a real election. A move that will cost the state not only the 30 million dollars that the election will cost, but now will cost several hundreds of millions of dollars in bonds due to our credit ranking drop.

The fact that only part of the energy industry was deregulated had nothing to do with it? Nor did the fact that no new powerplants had been built since Nixon?

PhinPhan1227
08-22-2003, 09:11 AM
What I find hysterical is that California has managed to recall Grey Davis, and we still can't get rid of Mirriam Oliphant.

Barbarian
08-22-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by PhinPhan1227

The fact that only part of the energy industry was deregulated had nothing to do with it? Nor did the fact that no new powerplants had been built since Nixon?

The partial deregulation didn't, however you are very right about the power plants, the state has kept it close to the vest on plants for 30 years and now it's biting them in the butt and Davis is the scapegoat.

he screwed up the deregulation, there is no doubt, but the problems in the state went way back to before his time in office.

PhinPhan1227
08-25-2003, 08:51 AM

The partial deregulation didn't, however you are very right about the power plants, the state has kept it close to the vest on plants for 30 years and now it's biting them in the butt and Davis is the scapegoat.

he screwed up the deregulation, there is no doubt, but the problems in the state went way back to before his time in office.

Heck man, of that I have no doubt. I mean, Berkely has been around for years, and just having that school within a state has got to leech "stupid cooties" into the neighboring water table...:rolleyes:

Barbarian
08-25-2003, 09:07 PM
yeah... you know what would be great.

If we could get a state seperation.

2 states, Northern California, and Southern California.

It's too bad that SoCal will never let it happen becaus eit would solve so many of our problems up north. :(

wonderl33t
08-26-2003, 07:52 PM
yeah... you know what would be great.

If we could get a state seperation.

2 states, Northern California, and Southern California.

It's too bad that SoCal will never let it happen becaus eit would solve so many of our problems up north. :(

This is an interesting notion, mostly because SoCal is so conservative, and NorCal is so liberal.

Barbarian
08-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by wonderl33t

This is an interesting notion, mostly because SoCal is so conservative, and NorCal is so liberal.

They tried to get this enacted back in '92.

Took an advisory vote of 14 counties that ran along the proposed border.

Every single county North of the line voted for the seperation advisory with over 70% of the vote. Every single county South of the line voted against it... also with a greater than 70% of the vote in every single county.

The north is desperate to escape, but unfortunately it would require the full state to make the change and SoCal refuses to do it (understandably because it would screw SoCal over every which way but loose)