PDA

View Full Version : Soccor Sucks??

Prime Time
07-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by MarinoFan

TOUGH MAN? I didn't think I said anything wrong. Personally, they are a freaking eyesore. Leave it up, BLOW them up. I don't care. Your freaking PM box was full.:mad: You got an attitude kid.

BTW, SOCCER SUCKS!!!

Yeah Soccer sucks so much, that it is the World's sport. :rolleyes: It sucks so much that 2 billion people watch the soccer championship and 800 million watch the Super Bowl world wide. Tell me which is the more popular sport.

Anyway relax man, you could have IMed me. Don't get too uptight about something so small. I also overreacted because my right contact lense is killing me and it is annoying the freak of me. Hey, Dol-Fans are not suppose to fight among themselves...they are suppose to fight with every other team's fans. Ill fix it now.

DENVERDOLFAN
07-23-2003, 05:04 PM
Isn't soccer that sport you play if your mom won't let you play football. I know this is off topic and borderline smack, but I couldn't resist.

DENVERDOLFAN
07-23-2003, 05:05 PM
At least I called it a sport.

Coral Reefer
07-23-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Prime Time

Yeah Soccer sucks so much, that it is the World's sport. :rolleyes: It sucks so much that 2 billion people watch the soccer championship and 800 million watch the Super Bowl world wide. Tell me which is the more popular sport.

Anyway relax man, you could have IMed me. Don't get too uptight about something so small. I also overreacted because my right contact lense is killing me and it is annoying the freak of me. Hey, Dol-Fans are not suppose to fight among themselves...they are suppose to fight with every other team's fans. Ill fix it now.

No offense Prime Time but it can be argued that soccer is so popular world wide is because you can drop a coconut on the ground and start kicking it around. No equipment needed, hence it's popular in many poor countries that don't have excess money to spend on equipment like you have to in football. That alone is the reason soccer is the Worlds sport.... IMO. It's also a non physical contact sport which many other countries prefer. Can you see many of these impoverished country's children playing full contact tackle? Can you say broken bones by the bunches? The fact that football was only played in one country up until NFL Europe, YET has built a worldwide following is a testament to how much more interesting American Football is than soccer. JMO. I'd personally rather watch paint dry than watch soccer.

Sofa_King_Drunk
07-23-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Trekbiz

No offense Prime Time but it can be argued that soccer is so popular world wide is because you can drop a coconut on the ground and start kicking it around. No equipment needed, hence it's popular in many poor countries that don't have excess money to spend on equipment like you have to in football. That alone is the reason soccer is the Worlds sport.... IMO. The fact that football was only played in one country up until NFL Europe, YET has built a worldwide following is a testament to how much more interesting American Football is than soccer. JMO. I'd personally rather watch paint dry than watch soccer.

Good points Trek. I dropped the "paint dry" thing on Prime the other day as well right after I made the mistake of giving him the facts to back up his argument that more people watch futbol than FOOTBALL.

RUDEbyallMEANS
07-23-2003, 05:42 PM
No offense Prime Time but it can be argued that soccer is so popular world wide is because you can drop a coconut on the ground and start kicking it around. No equipment needed, hence it's popular in many poor countries that don't have excess money to spend on equipment like you have to in football. That alone is the reason soccer is the Worlds sport.... IMO. It's also a non physical contact sport which many other countries prefer. Can you see many of these impoverished country's children playing full contact tackle? Can you say broken bones by the bunches? The fact that football was only played in one country up until NFL Europe, YET has built a worldwide following is a testament to how much more interesting American Football is than soccer. JMO. I'd personally rather watch paint dry than watch soccer.

One thing is that many people tend to devalue other sports because their countries are not good at it or it's not their own sport or whatever.. Baseball is the most boring sport in the entire world next to golf yet it might be the most popular sport in America because it is our own.. USA is not as good at soccer as the other elite countries out there and people tend to lean towards football or baseball or basketball because those are the most popular in this country.. It's all about preferrences man.. Many kids that love to run love soccer cuz it keeps you in shape and it's very easy to practice by yourself.. I mean theres nothing much more to say about this.. I myself played soccer for 10 years and quit after I got to High School, I just loved Footabll and the contact.. Many of my buddies stayed playing soccer cuz they "love" the sport.. MAny people like to make themselves feel like the "bigger" man cuz they love a sport thats more physical yet they couldnt hang with a decent soccer team.. There's no reason to disrespect a sport because you don't like it.. I mysself hate Baseball, there's not much moving involved in the sport but still respect the players abilities and for me to say to a Baseball fan that "Baseball Sucks" just shows ignorance and the lack of growing up.. I mean, there's really nothing to it but don't disrespect a person just cuz he likes a sport other than football.. There's a reason why all of us are on here, thats cuz we love football as well..

Trek, not saying you're the one disrespecting, but I did read a post or two before yours that tried to disrespect a sport and people that like soccer.. Thats all I got to say...

Agua
07-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS

Baseball is the most boring sport in the entire world next to golf

Heh... Couldn't argue with that comment. :D

underwaterjedi
07-23-2003, 06:07 PM
I'll chime in. I grew up playing soccer. Still play 3 times a week, and I love it more and more every day. But since I moved to the US 11 years ago, I have grown to LOVE football. I can say that I like things about both, but the strategy involved in football, from the draft, to the match-ups on Sundays, to parity......I think there is no other sport in the world that could come close.

It was said a couple of posts ago that it is a money thing, and it is true. I just can't see my high school in south america paying all that money for facillities, pads, coaches etc. When you can just throw a few jerseys, a ball and a field, and make it do.

Also, people here have no way of liking soccer, cause MLS sucks big time. Both are good. But I don't think there is a sport like Football any where in the world.

RUDEbyallMEANS
07-23-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by underwaterjedi
I'll chime in. I grew up playing soccer. Still play 3 times a week, and I love it more and more every day. But since I moved to the US 11 years ago, I have grown to LOVE football. I can say that I like things about both, but the strategy involved in football, from the draft, to the match-ups on Sundays, to parity......I think there is no other sport in the world that could come close.

It was said a couple of posts ago that it is a money thing, and it is true. I just can't see my high school in south america paying all that money for facillities, pads, coaches etc. When you can just throw a few jerseys, a ball and a field, and make it do.

Also, people here have no way of liking soccer, cause MLS sucks big time. Both are good. But I don't think there is a sport like Football any where in the world.

Very true.. Soccer is not televised at all in this country and not even close to being broadcasted like football, basketball or baseball is here in America like it is in South America and Europe.. You could see advances Soccer is having here in America though.. Once the US made a good showing in the World Cup, they started broadcasting it somewhat.. but never will be like Football is here.. NEVER.. But Bashing people that like soccer makes no sense and never will..

baccarat
07-23-2003, 08:33 PM

Baseball...might be the most popular sport in America because it is our own..

Care to expand on this?

baccarat
07-23-2003, 08:44 PM
I mysself hate Baseball, there's not much moving involved in the sport but still respect the players abilities and for me to say to a Baseball fan that "Baseball Sucks" just shows ignorance and the lack of growing up..

If you're going to hold one fan to that standard, why not Prime Time who's stated:

Football (the real soccer) is the best sport in the World and it is a fact because more people watch it, more people play it, more people follow it.

Baseball has its fat *** Pitchers,and fat *** hitters.

Muck
07-23-2003, 09:18 PM
Football is unquestionably America's most popular sport.

iceblizzard69
07-23-2003, 10:32 PM
Anyone who says that soccer isn't a contact sport clearly hasn't played it or watched it. Watch a game of soccer, and see the tackles that happen, and then come back and say it isn't a contact sport. I guarantee you it won't happen.

Also, football is my favorite sport. However, NFL Europe, while semi-successful, is meaningless to Europeans compared to soccer. They don't like football, they like soccer, just like how some of you like football and hate soccer.

As for soccer being televised, there is a channel called Fox Sports World and you can get it on satelite or digital cable, and they have soccer from some of the worlds best leagues like the EPL, la liga, etc. ESPN also shows MLS, and any USA game that isn't in a tournament. FIFA demands too much money for things like the Gold Cup so ESPN doesn't buy it, but Spanish language stations do, and I just watched the USA lose :( :( :( to Brazil on Galavision.

Also, for the person who said that "MLS sucks," why don't you try WATCHING it? It isn't bad, it has a bad reputation, but there are a bunch of quality players who have made their mark on an international level.

Prime Time
07-24-2003, 12:25 AM
I actually like Baseball. My icon on my AOL sn is a Marlins icon.

Anywho....Soccer is the World's sport because it is just great. If you were raised to watch it, you would LOVE it. But you weren't and that is why you guys don't like it. Soccer is a very good sport...more passion in the game IMO. You guys just don't understand soccer and the skill it takes to play it....many of you think and I have heard people state in soccer chats "Who can't kick a ball?". Alot of people see this at having no talent to do. But you need alot of talent to play soccer. It is the World's Sport for a reason. Not because people can't afford equipment (maybe half of the reason is this) but the other half is because you can play a pickup game with just 1 on 1. You can't play Football or Baseball 1 on 1. IMO Soccer is the best sport in the World because the fans are more passionate about the sport. I don't want this turn into name calling let's just have a good debate.

baccarat
07-24-2003, 12:33 AM
IMO Soccer is the best sport in the World because the fans are more passionate about the sport. I don't want this turn into name calling let's just have a good debate.

key words, or intials, IMO. At least you realized now that "the best sport" is a personal preference, not fact. Anyways, I've never denied the talent of soccer players. Most of them are great athlete but I just happen to not like the sport and it ticks me off when people assume all baseball player are in John Kruk shape.

Migs182005
07-24-2003, 12:39 AM
It's also a non physical contact sport which many other countries prefer.

Evidently, you've never played soccer my friend. While soccer might not be full of contact like football, and hockey, it's certainly a rough and physical sport. Just because it's not tough like Football means the game is boring?

Look, not liking soccer all my life, I can understand why many Americans don't like soccer, but it truly is a very entertaining sport. I just went to my first soccer game on Wednesday to see the US and Brazil, and it was really intense.

If some people think that soccer players aren't as good of athletes as football players for example, they are deeply mistaken. Do you know how well your body needs to be physically to play for 90 minutes constantly running up and down the field?

I know not everyone likes soccer and I can't change that, but I once didn't like it either until I started getting into some teams.

You know, the main reason why soccer will never be successful in the US is not because people don't like it. It's because it's not marketable. 45 minutes straight without commercials, and then when they do go up, everyone goes to the bathroom or gets something to eat? It would never work here.

Coral Reefer
07-24-2003, 03:19 AM
[/B][/QUOTE]
Evidently, you've never played soccer my friend. While soccer might not be full of contact like football, and hockey, it's certainly a rough and physical sport. Just because it's not tough like Football means the game is boring?

You guys are missing the point....

Of course there is contact. There is physical contact in baseball as well. There is a HUGE difference between a sport where people run into each other occasionally because of there inertia and a sport where the main objective is planting someone into the ground..... Come on guys. Soccer is NOT a physical contact sport. Is there contact, of course but it isn't a main point of the game.

As for why it's boring..... I just get tired of seeing people jog back and forth, back and forth, back and forth for 10 min. let alone for over an hour. Just my pref. I like a lil more excitement in games.

If some people think that soccer players aren't as good of athletes as football players for example, they are deeply mistaken. Do you know how well your body needs to be physically to play for 90 minutes constantly running up and down the field?

Look, not to take anything away from these guys because of course they are athletes. However, I don't think they are in any more shape than football or Hockey players. These guys aren't all out running for 90 minutes like you make it seem. A lot of the time guys are jogging and quick walking back and forth to areas of the field while only 2-3 players around the ball are running all out. Lets be real with the assessment here. Hockey players have to constantly be skating back and forth which if you've ever done it's a lil more tiring than jogging. Not only do football players need to be in cardio shape but they also have to develop strength. Recievers are constantly running routes for an entire game. I agree that soccer players are athletes but I don't think they are in any better shape than other sports athletes and the game to me is just plain boring.

Again, I believe that soccer is the worlds game because it is simple. Any country can play it by dropping a cocunut onto the ground. Because of this it was easy for it to become the worlds sport. Many countries could never field football, hockey or baseball teams at the youth levels because of equipment costs, so soccer is the only sport that every country can compete in against one another. That is why it has such a feverish following IMO, NOT because the game is so spectacular but because the game is so simple that it can be played on the International level. Come on, can you imagine the excitement American football would create if all the countries fielded teams?
Wow. U.S. V. Russia in the 80's would have made Dolphins V. Jets rivalry look like a High School game! Again, that's just my feeling on it. If you like the game..... great someone has to, just like someone has to watch those bowling tourneys on ESPN as well.

Rrodr038
07-24-2003, 04:29 AM
I can enjoy some soccer (like the World Cup) but I understand those that dislike it. The major problem that Americans have with soccer is the same issue they have with hockey and even baseball to a lesser extent (which semi-explains the declining popularity of both sports); these sports just don't score enough. After watching a soccer game for 90 without seeing a goal, an ardent soccer fan would be creaming his pants with excitement because of how thrilling the game is, while the casual American fan would fall asleep.

Secondly I believe that since traditionally, the Americans have not been great at this sport as they are with most other sports, Americans shy away from it. We, as a country, do not like to see ourselves as anything but dominant in any sport we participate. We in turn dislike the sport (in fact we totally ignore the sport) because we traditionally suck at it and cannot compete with Brazil, Argentina France, Spain, Germany etc, who are supposed to be our inferiors athletically. Hopefully, the improving USA team and/or newcomer Freddie Adu can be the catalysts that break this cycle.

Personally, I like soccer but in terms of where it ranks in my list of sports, it would be far behind football, basketball and baseball and just ahead of hockey, tennis, golf, bowling, lacrosse and all the other "sports" ESPN televises.

iceblizzard69
07-24-2003, 09:06 AM

Of course there is contact. There is physical contact in baseball as well. There is a HUGE difference between a sport where people run into each other occasionally because of there inertia and a sport where the main objective is planting someone into the ground..... Come on guys. Soccer is NOT a physical contact sport. Is there contact, of course but it isn't a main point of the game.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I think you should watch a soccer game and then say the same comments, because you won't be able to. There is a lot of contact in soccer, and it is crucial at many points to getting the ball, stopping the attack, etc. I am sure you would just love to get nailed by a slide tackle in soccer. There are lots of injuries in soccer from stuff like this. People brake bones all of the time. If you look at the American national team, a lot of guys who have recently played for it have gotten serious injuries, most notably Claudio Reyna who missed almost his club teams whole season and is still recovering although he did just start to play, but he is nothing like what he used to be.

MarinoFan
07-24-2003, 11:40 AM

Okay, let me just say one thing here. The 2 billion people that watch soccer have their own opinion. It is the only thing their country can compete in. So they MUST be in to it. Now my opinion is that it sucks. My grandpa used to watch baseball all the time, don't mean I like it. I couldn't stand it. If soccer was the only sport played here in the US, then people would go nuts, cause it is their only release, and only way to come together. But, it's not the case, other sports are more exciting, espcially football. I can't stand watching guys run back and forth, kicking a ball. It becomes boring as hell.

NOW, you are in the US, AND in a football forum. So yes, general concensus around here is that soccer sucks. Secondly, most if not all people around here could give a crap about who those pics are in your sig. Like others have said, I'd rather watch paint dry.

iceblizzard69
07-24-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by MarinoFan

Okay, let me just say one thing here. The 2 billion people that watch soccer have their own opinion. It is the only thing their country can compete in. So they MUST be in to it. Now my opinion is that it sucks. My grandpa used to watch baseball all the time, don't mean I like it. I couldn't stand it. If soccer was the only sport played here in the US, then people would go nuts, cause it is their only release, and only way to come together. But, it's not the case, other sports are more exciting, espcially football. I can't stand watching guys run back and forth, kicking a ball. It becomes boring as hell.

Actually, you are wrong. Every country except for the USA, Canada, Venezuela, and some Caribbean nations are big on soccer. Lets look at some of soccer's powers.

Brazil
Germany
England

Brazil is very good at volleyball, Germany is good at a lot of Olympic sports, and England is good at cricket and rugby. See, not every big soccer nation has soccer as their only sport. These nations are good at a bunch of other things as well. Just because a sport isn't big in America doesn't mean it sucks. I bet that if the USA won a World Cup, everyone would go crazy for soccer. However, we haven't, so we don't. We are an improving soccer nation, and I say we are top 15 in the world, but some people here just don't care.

Prime Time
07-24-2003, 03:25 PM
How can you say Soccer is a non-contact sport first of all?

Secondly, other countries play alot of other sports. Argentina a top team in the Soccer World is also good at Basketball. They beat the USA a year or so ago in a tournament or something.

Thirdly, all you guys that say "I'd rather watch paint dry" because Soccer is so boring, since you get tired of seeing guys run up the field 10 mins. :rolleyes: Then what the hell is the difference between that theory on soccer then on Football? What do you do in Football....run up the field and down the field...no difference. Same thing except you are holding a ball instead of kicking/dribbling a ball.

And finally, American Football players use their "hands" 95% of the time and they call the game "Football"? :lol: That is very funny. Soccer is the real Football because they are actually using their feet more than 2 minutes a game. Isn't it funny how they stole our name? :lol: I think so.

Coral Reefer
07-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by iceblizzard69

I think you should watch a soccer game and then say the same comments, because you won't be able to. There is a lot of contact in soccer, and it is crucial at many points to getting the ball, stopping the attack, etc. I am sure you would just love to get nailed by a slide tackle in soccer. There are lots of injuries in soccer from stuff like this. People brake bones all of the time. If you look at the American national team, a lot of guys who have recently played for it have gotten serious injuries, most notably Claudio Reyna who missed almost his club teams whole season and is still recovering although he did just start to play, but he is nothing like what he used to be. [/B][/QUOTE]

For some reason, all of you that love soccer think that anyone who dosen't like it just haven't seen or played it.

I have done both. Hated watching and playing it. It was BORING to me on both accounts compared to playing and watching other sports.

This physical thing is getting hilarious however.
Yeah, a slide tackle..... no different than a baseball player sliding into 2nd base. Would you rather take a slide tackle in soccer or a head on collision from Ray Lewis or Zach Thomas. PLEASE!
I'll take my chances with the slide tackle.

Again, as I said in a previous post, I know there is incidental contact and it can be rough due to the inertia of the player BUT the point isn't to hit the player. If the contact isn't directed towards the ball it's illegal. There is no comparison here.

Are you seriously going to compare the contact in soccer to the contact in football or hockey? If so..... :roflmao:

Coral Reefer
07-24-2003, 05:30 PM
[/B][/QUOTE]
How can you say Soccer is a non-contact sport first of all?

Again please see previous posts.... it's a pretty simple explanation.

Secondly, other countries play alot of other sports. Argentina a top team in the Soccer World is also good at Basketball. They beat the USA a year or so ago in a tournament or something.

??? What's your point here? I didn't say countries that play soccer only play soccer. The debate started with you ringing the praises of why soccer is the best sport. I was just countering with contrasting reasons to yours as to why I believe soccer is the biggest sport in the world. Brazil mostly a soccer country as well but are great in Basketball and fantastic in volleyball. That dosen't have anything to do with this discussion though. :confused:

Thirdly, all you guys that say "I'd rather watch paint dry" because Soccer is so boring, since you get tired of seeing guys run up the field 10 mins. :rolleyes: Then what the hell is the difference between that theory on soccer then on Football? What do you do in Football....run up the field and down the field...no difference.

This is getting better and better.
What is the difference?

Every guy on the field, every snap of the ball is simultaneously involved in a physical battle. There is fast paced action on every part of the field every play. Football players don't just run up and down the field back and forth on the whim of a bouncing ball. Every position battles. Some of the best hits are never even seen because they aren't near where the ball is.

I would say that is a pretty big difference.

Look at any point on a soccer field away from the ball and you'll see people standing of jogging back and forth between certain field positions waiting and waiting for the ball to get near them.
IMO, You could watch a foosball table game in your local bar and see the same action.
Little men attatched to a pole moving back and forth between postions on a playing field waiting for the ball to bounce their way.

I'm not saying soccer is a crap sport or that it sucks.
I'm just saying that I think it is a simple, less complicated and less exciting sport than football. I prefer hockey, baseball, basketball and beach volleyball over it as well. JMO.

iceblizzard69
07-24-2003, 07:04 PM

Again please see previous posts.... it's a pretty simple explanation.

??? What's your point here? I didn't say countries that play soccer only play soccer. The debate started with you ringing the praises of why soccer is the best sport. I was just countering with contrasting reasons to yours as to why I believe soccer is the biggest sport in the world. Brazil mostly a soccer country as well but are great in Basketball and fantastic in volleyball. That dosen't have anything to do with this discussion though. :confused:

This is getting better and better.
What is the difference?

Every guy on the field, every snap of the ball is simultaneously involved in a physical battle. There is fast paced action on every part of the field every play. Football players don't just run up and down the field back and forth on the whim of a bouncing ball. Every position battles. Some of the best hits are never even seen because they aren't near where the ball is.

I would say that is a pretty big difference.

Look at any point on a soccer field away from the ball and you'll see people standing of jogging back and forth between certain field positions waiting and waiting for the ball to get near them.
IMO, You could watch a foosball table game in your local bar and see the same action.
Little men attatched to a pole moving back and forth between postions on a playing field waiting for the ball to bounce their way.

I'm not saying soccer is a crap sport or that it sucks.
I'm just saying that I think it is a simple, less complicated and less exciting sport than football. I prefer hockey, baseball, basketball and beach volleyball over it as well. JMO. [/B][/QUOTE]

Comparing a slide tackle to a slide in baseball just shows that you have no idea what you are talking about. I am not going to discuss this with someone who seems to know absolutely nothing about soccer. Slide tackles hurt like a bitch, and cause broken bones, torn ACLs, etc.

Does soccer have as much contact as football? No, but no other sport does either.

Prime Time
07-24-2003, 07:12 PM
TrekBiz the thing I said about Argentina being good at Basketball was for Marino fan who said

"Okay, let me just say one thing here. The 2 billion people that watch soccer have their own opinion. It is the only thing their country can compete in. So they MUST be in to it."

Anyway, go to a World Cup Game and go to a Super Bowl....I can bet any amount of money there will be more passion in the World Cup game. How can you say American Handball is more exciting then the World's Sport Football....if after every play American Handball stops. Come on man get a better arguement here. I mean every second of soccer is exciting because it can always lead to a goal. Handball on the other hand, has one play....stops, lets huddle up. You call that exciting?

Prime Time
07-24-2003, 07:18 PM
BTW, in all other countries, during Preliminaries...if your country loses that week or month's game...you don't speak for a day or two (like me and My family have done today since USA lsot yesterday) because of the dissapointment. If you lose in American Handball you say oh well, we will win next week. Even if you are saddened the emotion from the people is not the same as the ones for Football (The World's Sport).

Coral Reefer
07-24-2003, 09:18 PM

Does soccer have as much contact as football? No, but no other sport does either.

Hockey is close and Rugby is even closer....

Coral Reefer
07-24-2003, 09:32 PM
T

Anyway, go to a World Cup Game and go to a Super Bowl....I can bet any amount of money there will be more passion in the World Cup game.

Of course there will be because the match is representing the fans country rather than single cities within a country. It isn't because the sport is SOOO exciting IMO, it is because this sport is the only one that can be played competitively on a global scale. If you've ever been to an olympics even the badmitton tourneys have people cheering and waving flags with painted faces. Why? Because badmitton is an incredibly exciting sport? No, because that team is a competitive representation of a fans country.

How can you say American Handball is more exciting then the World's Sport Football....if after every play American Handball stops. Come on man get a better arguement here. I mean every second of soccer is exciting because it can always lead to a goal. Handball on the other hand, has one play....stops, lets huddle up. ?

First off, I don't follow your argument at all.
Every second of soccer is exciting....? I guess some people feel jogging in place is exciting because that is what the majority of the players do throughout a soccer match waiting and waiting for the little ball to roll into their designated section of the field.

"Every second of soccer can lead to a goal.......?"
So why doesn't it ever?
:lol:

If you think every play can't lead to a score in football then apparently you never watched Marino, Favre, Elway, Vick, etc. play QB or Ricky Williams play RB.

You call that exciting?

If in fact you feel that way about American football why on earth do you follow the Fins and spend so much time on this board talking football if it isn't an exciting sport????

:hitself:

Prime Time
07-24-2003, 10:04 PM
Football is a woman's rugby/

Rrodr038
07-25-2003, 04:34 AM
And finally, American Football players use their "hands" 95% of the time and they call the game "Football"? :lol: That is very funny. Soccer is the real Football because they are actually using their feet more than 2 minutes a game. Isn't it funny how they stole our name? :lol: I think so.

Stole our name? Who are you? Joe Futbol or something? Futbol is actually an international word that derives itself from two English words, foot and ball (neither fut nor bol was used in any other language prior to the naming of the sport). As the story goes, latins were playing the game Americans know as soccer when American missionaries gave them balls similar to the standard soccer ball, as a replacement for a hollowed out melon that they had been using before. The missionaries then taught them how to say the word "ball" while also teaching them other english words, including the word "foot". So, in essence, the term football has actually been stolen from Americans. I shouldn't have even bothered typing all that stuff though, b/c that point is completely irrelevant in this discussion, anyway.

I mean every second of soccer is exciting because it can always lead to a goal. Handball on the other hand, has one play....stops, lets huddle up. You call that exciting?

Every second of soccer being exciting?? Man you are really going overboard here. Yeah there are exciting moments...but watching a team who is up 1-0 or 2-0 play keep away right around midfield or watching a game where after 15 minutes you realize that there has only been 3 shots on goal by BOTH TEAMS...these parts of the game make you more drowsy than 4 cups of Nyqil and warm milk. These "sleeping pill parts" of the game seem to be IMO much more frequent than the exciting moments of the game. Sorry, but your description of soccer is the complete opposite of mine.

Football is women's rugby??? Its cool to have a discussion about different sports and everything, but isn't a little stupid to criticize a sport you must like at least a little (judging by your 4000+ posts and your 16+ posts per day)? Either way, to resort to juvenile name calling directed at any sport might be a reason for others not to take any of your future posts seriously. Say "football sucks b/c..." or "soccer is better than footbal b/c..." next time. Just don't call it "women's rugby"....that nickname is set aside for the other futbol. :evil:

iceblizzard69
07-25-2003, 08:44 AM
Franco, if you hate football so much (which it sounds like from what you post), then don't watch the sport. No one is forcing you.

Trekbiz, soccer has lots of drama. There are lots of moments that make your heart beat like crazy. When there is a corner kick, free kick, when the team is going down the field, etc. There may not be that many goals, but every time a team goes down the field there is a good chance. One reason why I don't like hockey is because there are too many saves and you can't even see the goals. In soccer, the save percentages are a lot lower, the field is more spread out, and there are no stoppages. Does it get boring at times? Sure, but that happens in almost every sport except for football. However, I would say most of a soccer game brings a lot of excitement and gets your heart racing, and that is why I like and watch the sport.

t2thejz
07-25-2003, 04:10 PM
Football is a woman's rugby/ I dont think so, since football has more pads people hit harder and will run into their opponent full speed. Ive played rugby and I play football, I am much more sore after a football game. In rugby you will get more cuts but in football your body takes a bigger beating.

iceblizzard69
07-25-2003, 04:45 PM
The pads in football actually make the hit feel harder because it adds weight and they aren't soft at all.

Coral Reefer
07-25-2003, 08:00 PM
Franco, if you hate football so much (which it sounds like from what you post), then don't watch the sport. No one is forcing you.

Trekbiz, soccer has lots of drama. There are lots of moments that make your heart beat like crazy. When there is a corner kick, free kick, when the team is going down the field, etc. There may not be that many goals, but every time a team goes down the field there is a good chance. One reason why I don't like hockey is because there are too many saves and you can't even see the goals. In soccer, the save percentages are a lot lower, the field is more spread out, and there are no stoppages. Does it get boring at times? Sure, but that happens in almost every sport except for football. However, I would say most of a soccer game brings a lot of excitement and gets your heart racing, and that is why I like and watch the sport.

Hey, I'm not saying soccer is a bad sport and that it dosen't bring a lot of enjoyment to many. Of course the sport requires talent and many of the athletes are phenomenal at what they do.
I was just taking on this guy who seems to think that anyone who dosen't think soccer is the best sport that they are crazy. According to him soccer is everything and soccer players are the toughest, most in shape, fastest, most invinsible players on earth. :lol:

That's the only reason I've carried on like this.

To me soccer dosen't hold a candle to American football. I also believe that if every country had the ability to field American football with the proper support and youth organizations like soccer has had for much longer than American football, soccer would eventually end up a secondary sport to American football like baseball has here. But that's just my opinion.

To all who like soccer, hey, cool. I just don't like someone coming onto a football board telling me how much my sport sucks supposedly.

It's been great for a good laugh though.

Coral Reefer
07-25-2003, 09:15 PM

You've lost whatever credibility you had in this argument.

:lol:

I doubt any soccer player could take one good hit in football without running home to mommy. Only someone like that would make the above remark. If you think it's such a woman's sport why don't you join a youth league and dominate it tough guy.

Bottom line is that you could take players out of the NFL that could PHYSICALLY equal any of the soccer players at what they do. Now I'm saying physically, not skill wise because obviously no football players have world cup skills at soccer. But physically, these "wimps" as you have claimed could hang with any soccer player you bring to the table.

On the contrary, I challenge you to tell me the name of just ONE soccer player who could physically match up with any players in the NFL BESIDES a kicker. They would be road kill in an instant.

Not one guy could compare...... so if in fact NFL players are playing a "womans" game and any skill position NFL player could outmatch the physical prowess of any soccer player...... What does that make a soccer player...... like a little girl????

If you like soccer thats fine but your not going to win any argument in that soccer players are tougher than football players.... that is absurd.

Prime Time
07-25-2003, 09:54 PM
Tony Meola is one guy. This thread bores me now...Training Camp has started for God's sake!

iceblizzard69
07-26-2003, 12:01 AM

Hey, I'm not saying soccer is a bad sport and that it dosen't bring a lot of enjoyment to many. Of course the sport requires talent and many of the athletes are phenomenal at what they do.
I was just taking on this guy who seems to think that anyone who dosen't think soccer is the best sport that they are crazy. According to him soccer is everything and soccer players are the toughest, most in shape, fastest, most invinsible players on earth. :lol:

That's the only reason I've carried on like this.

To me soccer dosen't hold a candle to American football. I also believe that if every country had the ability to field American football with the proper support and youth organizations like soccer has had for much longer than American football, soccer would eventually end up a secondary sport to American football like baseball has here. But that's just my opinion.

To all who like soccer, hey, cool. I just don't like someone coming onto a football board telling me how much my sport sucks supposedly.

It's been great for a good laugh though.

You are totally wrong about the american football thing in other countries. I have been to Europe, and people there don't like the sport, plain and simple. Most people there thing it is a dull game, just like how many Americans think of soccer. They have NFLE in Europe and no one really cares. Soccer would never become secondary to Football in Europe, Europeans love, just love, their soccer and not football, but that is their opinion and it will never change. People like sports part of their culture, which is why Americans love football, Canadians love hockey, and Europeans love soccer.

In soccer and football, players have to be "in shape." However, in soccer, all players have to be in shape in a certain way. They need to be relatively thin with great endurance and great leg strength, while good upper body strength is also important but a bunch of players don't have it and do fine. In football, players need to be in shape in other ways and it depends on their position, but we don't need to go into that.

A football player could not go into soccer and be good, and a soccer player could not go into football and be good. If each went into the other sport, they would be terrible. The sports require different strengths and besides a soccer player coming to be an NFL kicker or punter these players don't have the strengths nor the experience to be successful in the other sport.

People have their rights to love and hate different sports. If you don't like soccer, thats cool, there are sports like hockey which I don't like as well.

On a side note, I have gone into a forum for a soccer team in Europe and there was an American football thread, but for the most part no one was interested in it, however, a few did know and watched the sport. We have European posters here, but the sport is not popular there at all, and the growth of it there isn't as big as the growth of it here, plus there seems to be NO interest in playing the sport there.

I love football a lot more than soccer, but I think there is no chance of football ever becoming popular in Europe while there is a chance of soccer becoming popular in the USA.

Prime Time
07-27-2003, 12:25 AM
The last paragraph says it all :D

Coral Reefer
07-28-2003, 02:42 AM
The last paragraph says it all :D

From one point of view.

Coral Reefer
07-28-2003, 02:50 AM

In soccer and football, players have to be "in shape." However, in soccer, all players have to be in shape in a certain way. They need to be relatively thin with great endurance and great leg strength, while good upper body strength is also important but a bunch of players don't have it and do fine. In football, players need to be in shape in other ways and it depends on their position, but we don't need to go into that.

A football player could not go into soccer and be good, and a soccer player could not go into football and be good. If each went into the other sport, they would be terrible. The sports require different strengths and besides a soccer player coming to be an NFL kicker or punter these players don't have the strengths nor the experience to be successful in the other sport.

I understand your point that neither could switch sports and play well.

My point simply was on toughness. The subject prime time brought up specifically.

The point was that a football player could line up on a soccer field and run up and down the field with the best of them. He wouldn't play well but he would'nt collapse because he could'nt take it physically.

However, a soccer player would'nt last 5 plays if you put him in the middle of a football field. An ambulance would be needed upon the first hit.

I don't think there can be any debate on that one.
Toughness, American football players win hands down.
Don't agree Prime Time?
Go pad up for your high school football team. Take a weeks worth of hits and tell me how you feel.... if you can still talk by then.

M-REAL
07-28-2003, 05:14 PM
We just had alot of debate on these topics in a thread posted "Bragging Rights" where the bottom line is everyone has their own opinion on who's tougher, who's in better shape, who watches which sport more,etc. IMO, football is still one of the two hardest sports to get in shape for. The other one is boxing. Like I've said before, I played varsity football(defense) and I played soccer before that. I also trained in Warrior's Gym using boxing as way of getting in shape and Soccer DOES NOT come any where close to either one.

iceblizzard69
07-28-2003, 09:06 PM

The point was that a football player could line up on a soccer field and run up and down the field with the best of them. He wouldn't play well but he would'nt collapse because he could'nt take it physically.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You crack me up! Seriously man. That is a good one. Are you saying that Larry Chester could constantly run up and down the pitch for 45 minutes in a row? Or a linebacker?

Maybe a few of the really in shape receivers or cornerbacks who have incredible endurance could do it, but that is it.

As for soccer players, you are right, most if not all would not last on a football field, but the same works the other way around as well.

Prime Time
07-29-2003, 05:28 PM
Ice you are killing them out there man!!! :lol:

Oh and BTW I was on the JV team for about 1 month and took some hits then I quit to go for soccer.