PDA

View Full Version : Draft Issues and Strategies

xiidaen
07-23-2003, 09:47 PM
Anyone up for some general draft strategy and ranking questions, rather than just league advertisements?

I am in one league that follows a serpentine draft (1-12,12-1,1-12) with pick #3. Now, while there is a reasonable debate on what to do with pick 3, you're probably set with any of say 5 RBs, which I'll call Williams, Tomlinson, Portis, Faulk and Holmes for now.

However, I think I might be able to talk someone into trading picks 11 and 14, or 10 and 15 for the number 3. And I'm wondering if I'm better off taking that trade, and grabbing a top tier WR and QB with a shot at a solid second tier RB. (I think, for example, that James will fall hard, but be a good pickup).

Any thoughts? I'd think picking 11, 15 (or 11, 13) and 22, 27 would be pretty solid.

mbbransc
07-26-2003, 02:16 PM
Wow, #3 is hard to give up. If you have #4 pick, I would say do it in a heartbeat. But if you have an opportunity to get Williams, LT, or Portis, that's hard to pass on. Those are the types of guys who can single-handedly win you games. (As far as picking up Edge, I'd recommend one of his three back-ups as well). And if you were to trade down, I'd try for the 10 and 15. That way, you'd have three picks between 10 and 24. I would stick somewhat to the Faulk strategy though. I'd still get two 2nd-tier RBs with those picks. A top WR or QB would be your bonus for trading. But within the top 24, there are only 3 QBs and 3 WRs I'd consider taking. I bet you can guess who they are.

All of that said, I wouldn't trade #3. Like I said in the beginning, if you had #4, I'd do it. But not with the opportunity to get one of the top 3 RBs.