PDA

View Full Version : Marino drawing

NyPhan23
05-17-2007, 06:02 PM
as promised in my ronnie drawing thread... here's my Marino drawing :) hope you all like it. I actually used this drawing for a flash animation about my 'passion' which i chose the Dolphins. Shoulda seen how much i had to argue with my artsy teacher that one can be passionate about a sports team... but thats a whole nother story. Anyways... heres a link to the flash project as well: http://www.rit.edu/~jjr4650/TIMEBASED/

It's not done yet, and currently the newest file is under Passion Project/process 2. When I'm done the final file will be under Passion Project/Final

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/05/danug4-1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

alen1
05-17-2007, 06:04 PM
very good man, you should start making sigs but instead of real pictures , use ur drawings. it would look so awesome

NyPhan23
05-17-2007, 06:07 PM
heh, yea i used to make sigs on another forum i used, but havent had time since i started posting here due to all of my schoolwork. Maybe over the summer I'll have some time to fool around :)

NyPhan23
05-17-2007, 06:21 PM
heres the emails that i had to send to my prof to justify this being my passion... kinda interesting

On Mar 16, 2007, at 5:24 PM, Jeremiah Richards ((RIT Student)) wrote:

Hey, I just had a few questions about our passion assignment for monday. One of the only things that I consider myself very passionate about (in the way you described) would be my favorite football team, but when i mentioned sports teams in class, you questioned whether those people are passionate or fanatics. So I began to wonder if you found that to be an innappropriate topic for this assignment? I feel that my feelings about my team are very similar to how you described what passion is during our class discussion.

The other thing I was wondering about was, how prepared of a 5 minute speech about our passions are you going to be expecting for monday? I'm having trouble thinking of a way to go about describing why I'm passionate about something for that long.

Thanks,
JJ Richards

Sent: Fri 3/16/2007 5:31 PM
To: Jeremiah Richards (RIT Student)
Subject: Re: About passion

JJ. Classify sports team as Fanaticism.
If you want to play for a team or own a team... that is a passion.
Liking a team. Your a fan.

How prepared: Prepared.
Want to add duration, Tell a story to get to the "why".

Best,
bk

On Mar 18, 2007, at 4:58 PM, Jeremiah Richards ((RIT Student)) wrote:

Ok, so I'm still having troubles grasping this. I don't really understand how one can be passionate about collecting shoes, stamps, postcards or bottle caps... but you can't be passionate about a sports team. Couldn't you just consider someone to be a fanatic of bottle caps or postcards etc etc. I mean, I have tons of sports paraphernalia of my team which I've collected over the years, but I hardly consider myself a collector, and certainly not passionate about collecting it for that matter. I only collect it to show my 'passion' for my team. And if passion is as described in the handout you gave us (a strong or extravagent fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for anything) then I feel that that is exactly how I feel about my team. There is nothing that consistantly makes me happier than waking up on Sunday mornings and getting ready to sit down and watch the game with my dad. That to me sounds like the description of all three things within the definition; fondness of my team, enthusiasm to see how and what they do, and desire to see them do well. And not only does that passion limit itself to just the short football season, but I follow what my team does all year round. It is an ongoing hobby of mine to see what they are doing, reading probably on average 5 or 6 articles a day (some days upwards of 15 if there is enough news). You also mentioned in our lecture how one can be passionate about music. I don't see any difference in this either, according to what your saying you'd have to want to play the music yourself, or work in the music business in order to be passionate about it. The way I see it then, people who just listen to music because they enjoy it, are nothing more than fanatics. I am in no way trying to be confrontational, just would like to argue my point, because there is nothing else I consider myself to be passionate about that would be unique from what everyone else will be doing (friends, success, music etc etc).
Thanks,
JJ Richards

Sent: Sun 3/18/2007 5:52 PM
To: Jeremiah Richards (RIT Student)
Subject: Re: About passion

jj. I understand that you have your head wrapped around this "sports team".

Let's look at the big picture here:
You are going to create a 30 second animation with images and text.
This is going to visual communicate to the viewer. A complete stranger a concept.
It will demonstrate your ability to present an abstract concept in a specifically unique way. Something that will define each person. The visual information that your gather and generate will provide connections to support your idea.
(are you still with me?)

I am glad you love this team. Good on ya, but are you thinking about the big picture. The final piece?

Give me a list of 25 unique things that define this team.
They cannot include the logo.
They must be unique and not relate each other.
Example would be naming two current players on the team. I will give you two that are what I am looking for and you cannot use them: The stadium and the first owner.
If you can convince me you can make profound connections using this sports team as your base. You can use it.

Let me know ASAP.
You may be looking for a new topic to work on tonight.

I am online working.

One more thing:

because there is nothing else I consider myself to be passionate about that would be unique from what everyone else will be doing (friends, success, music etc etc).
You are already judging your peers response to this project. You are all learning together. Keep an open mind.

Go.

bk

On Mar 18, 2007, at 8:13 PM, Jeremiah Richards ((RIT Student)) wrote:

Ok, I'm a little confused as to what are acceptable things to put into this list, but I'm going to do my best. The team I'm talking about is the Miami Dolphins, so here it goes.

1. Dolphins Stadium was home of Super Bowl 41 (this years Super Bowl) along with 8 other previous Super Bowls, and also the site of 2010's Super Bowl.
2. Official mascots name is T.D. who is a giant Dolphin, while their unofficial mascot 'Dolfan Denny' served for 34 years and just died at the age of 72.
3. Known for being able to deal with heat and playing bad in cold weather
4. Only team to have a perfect season in 1972 17-0 and beat Washington in the Super Bowl 14-7
5. Members of the 1972 team have a champagne celebration every year when the last undefeated team gets its first loss.
6. 2-3 in Super Bowls all time
7. Dan Marino is considered one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time, and now does several NFL related TV shows including NFL Today on CBS. He is also known for never winning the Super Bowl despite all of his accomplishments.
8. More Monday Night Football appearrances than any other NFL team.
9. Currently share their stadium with the Florida Marlins and have to play with a baseball infield on their field for part of the season. There is speculation that the Marlins will soon start to play in the Orange Bowl stadium (Miami Hurricanes football stadium), and the Hurricanes will switch over to Dolphins Stadium.
10. Will be one of the first two teams to participate in an international regular season game next season when they play against the Giants in London.
11. Current owner is Wayne Huizenga, but there has been speculation that he wanted to sell the team earlier in the offseason.
12. Highest paid NFL coaching staff in the NFL. Including new head coach Cam Cameron this year.
13. There was discontent among fans when current owner renamed the stadium to Pro Player Stadium, and eventually to Dolphins Stadium (current name), from its original name Joe Robbie Stadium after the original owner.
14. Their cheerleaders were voted among the top 3 best looking by Sports Illustrated.
15. Long time coach Don Shula of 33 years is the most winningest coach in the NFL with 328 wins and was inducted to the Hall of Fame in 1997
16. Known for a revolving door at quarterback since Dan Marino's retirement in 1999 with 10 different players starting at the position in the last 8 years.
17. Their training camp is held in Davie Florida at Nova University (I went 3 summers ago).
18. Their rivalry with the Buffalo Bills has been regarded as one of the fiercest of the NFL, maybe not so much now as it was in years past.
19. Their fight song "We are the Dolphins" is considered outdated.
20. Locally, the owners of the bar Tipsy McStagger's are all Dolphins fans, and they play their games every week on the big projector screen where I watch every week with my dad.
21. They are part of the AFC East division.
22. They were founded in 1966
23. They are the winningest franchise since 1970.
24. The movie Ace Ventura Pet Detective was based around the 1972 Dolphins (kind of).
25. Despite their franchises success, it has been 34 years since they have won a Super Bowl, and 25 years since they have made an appearance.

I hope these are what you were looking for, but if any of them aren't I'd be happy to list some more. Sorry about prejudging my peers, I didn't mean for it to come out like that. I just feel like if I did any of those other topics it would be kind of clichet, not neccesarily that that's what everyone will be doing.
JJ Richards

jj. Onward. How you handle the presentation will keep them from judging you. ;-)
Now tell everyone a great story.

The key to the design process of reflection and research is to encourage profound connections of visual information.
Remember, you can not use the internet for imagery and there is copyright issues that will be tight boundaries not to cross.

profound connections.
Thanks for asking.

bk

Jt0323
05-17-2007, 06:32 PM
wow your work is 100000X better than anything i ever did! amazing job!

Tpaddle
05-17-2007, 11:11 PM
sweet

In_Flames
05-18-2007, 12:45 PM
awesome job bro! :wink: