PDA

View Full Version : Zipper Planning Second SOCOM Title Already...

Phinz420
05-19-2007, 06:51 PM
Although there are already two SOCOM (http://blogsmith.aol.com/content/posts/) titles coming out -- Confrontation (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/17/sony-announces-socom-confrontation-for-ps3/) for PlayStation 3 and Tactical Strike (http://www.pspfanboy.com/2007/05/11/socom-tactical-strike-unveiled/) for PSP -- Zipper Interactive, the original developer of theseries, is working on yet another SOCOM title for the PS3, 1UP confirmed.

Unlike Confrontation, which is multiplayer-only, Zipper's title will include both single and multiplayer aspects, much like the series has done so far. The two previously-announced titles are being developed by Slant Six but is reportedly working closely with Zipper on them.
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/18/zipper-developing-another-ps3-socom-title/

So apparently Zipper isn't even the ones making Confrontation, but TBH from what I've seen thus far of it - those guys must have been in love with the SOCOM franchise. It looks like it plays just like classic SOCOM, and just as HALO fans would say "why fix something that ain't broke".

While I did enjoy the SP missions in previous SOCOMs, the MP is where the core of the fun is had for most SOCOM fans. Hopefully Zipper will put due diligence in their title, I want to see some damn good maps. I felt a bit robbed with the SOCOM 3 maps compared to the second game.

Cool Calm Mike
05-19-2007, 07:46 PM
Too bad Zipper ruined the hell out of SOCOM 3.

I only owned a PS2 for SOCOM 2 and Madden, they were pretty much the only games I played. SOCOM 2 still being my favorite game of all time. When SOCOM 3 came out, I was so utterly disappointed that it eventually made me buy an XBox 360.

That's how cheated I felt about SOCOM 3. I hope they ruin the PS3 version too!

Phinz420
05-19-2007, 11:49 PM
Too bad Zipper ruined the hell out of SOCOM 3.

I only owned a PS2 for SOCOM 2 and Madden, they were pretty much the only games I played. SOCOM 2 still being my favorite game of all time. When SOCOM 3 came out, I was so utterly disappointed that it eventually made me buy an XBox 360.

That's how cheated I felt about SOCOM 3. I hope they ruin the PS3 version too!

<3 Sandstorm & Crossroads

Cool Calm Mike
05-20-2007, 12:56 AM
<3 Sandstorm & Crossroads

I don't think there was one game where I didn't have 15+ kills on Crossroads. I dominated that map.

QUICK PLANT!

Blade
05-20-2007, 01:27 AM
I am glad a new company is working on the next generation socom. Zipper dropped the ball with socom 3 and tried to pick it up with Combined Assault but failed.

Phinz420
05-20-2007, 06:37 AM
I am glad a new company is working on the next generation socom. Zipper dropped the ball with socom 3 and tried to pick it up with Combined Assault but failed.

Not exactly the case though. Zipper IS working on the "next gen" SOCOM. They are the ones developing the full SOCOM game, while they are merely "advisers" for the one that will be released first. The multi player only title called "Confrontation". I'm guessing that Zipper's title will be SOCOM 4.

So far from what Ive seen thus far for Confrontation, it looks like a mesh of some of the old classic maps from various SOCOM titles. I know there are new ones too, but this is great news to me nonetheless.

Blade
05-20-2007, 09:23 AM
OK. What i was tryin to say is that i am glad some new set of eyes will be working on the project along with Zipper. I think the people at Zipper have been too close to the project for so long that a new set of designers will bring a new spin on the game and bring it back to the glory days of playin 8 hours a day of Socom 2.

Enough with the 32 people maps. Unless they can get the lag way down. What i want is combination of the Socom 1 and Socom 2 maps. That would be sweet.

Motion
05-20-2007, 11:02 AM
<----Definitely a Socom junkie.

I used to play Socom 2 for hours on end. Socom 3 just didn't have the same feel too it.

So many great maps.....

FishHook
Sujo
Enowapi
Crossroads
Desert Glory
etc....

Phinz420
05-20-2007, 01:08 PM
<----Definitely a Socom junkie.

I used to play Socom 2 for hours on end. Socom 3 just didn't have the same feel too it.

So many great maps.....

FishHook
Sujo
Enowapi
Crossroads
Desert Glory
etc....

Sujo & Enowapi, I was deeply hated by my enemies on those maps :lol:

Ambushing people in SOCOM 2 was so much fun. Especially in Sujo, I would cover the water bank/dock with mines and hide inside one of the little shacks just waiting with my suppressed 552.

Enowapi was just torture on so many occasions for the Seals(Damn Grenade spamming over the wall :lol:). But I have to admit that on the unbalanced maps like that, it feels all the better when you get on a good team and you mow down the opponents who have the edge.

God I miss that game. Socom 3 was definitely a let down even though I played quite a bit of it after launch.

Seriously though, am I the only one who LOVED sandstorm? Sniper battles in the pitch black night, calling in HIND Attack Helicopters to fire at the berms. I laugh every time that I get the final kill against some noob hiding inside the top floor bomb target...one grenade properly thrown and they stand no chance to escape :evil:.

I think I just really enjoyed the breach maps in the first place. There was a unique feeling to those maps that made me forget all about how many hours I have wasted away into standard FPS games.

Motion
05-20-2007, 07:42 PM
Sujo & Enowapi, I was deeply hated by my enemies on those maps :lol:

Ambushing people in SOCOM 2 was so much fun. Especially in Sujo, I would cover the water bank/dock with mines and hide inside one of the little shacks just waiting with my suppressed 552.

Enowapi was just torture on so many occasions for the Seals(Damn Grenade spamming over the wall :lol:). But I have to admit that on the unbalanced maps like that, it feels all the better when you get on a good team and you mow down the opponents who have the edge.

God I miss that game. Socom 3 was definitely a let down even though I played quite a bit of it after launch.

Seriously though, am I the only one who LOVED sandstorm? Sniper battles in the pitch black night, calling in HIND Attack Helicopters to fire at the berms. I laugh every time that I get the final kill against some noob hiding inside the top floor bomb target...one grenade properly thrown and they stand no chance to escape :evil:.

I think I just really enjoyed the breach maps in the first place. There was a unique feeling to those maps that made me forget all about how many hours I have wasted away into standard FPS games.

I liked Nightstalker much more, I was a one man wrecking crew on that map.

Stitches
05-20-2007, 07:47 PM
I never played any Socom but 3, and I had a lot of fun playing Socom 3.

I loved the grenade launcher attachement. :yes:

The 'thwoomp' sound still makes me smile.

Phinz420
05-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I liked Nightstalker much more, I was a one man wrecking crew on that map.

I liked that map as long as Grenade Launchers were disabled. I mean it just wasn't fun to start off every round with a barrage of grenades landing everywhere around you. :lol:

Motion
05-21-2007, 07:59 AM
I never played any Socom but 3, and I had a lot of fun playing Socom 3.

I loved the grenade launcher attachement. :yes:

The 'thwoomp' sound still makes me smile.

Noob

Stitches
05-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Whatever you say. You can't adjust to the weapons around you, that's your own fault.

Motion
05-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Whatever you say. You can't adjust to the weapons around you, that's your own fault.

:lol: I can adjust fine, but in the Socom "Community" on most maps the grenade launcher attachments are frowned upon and considered a noob weapon. Their fun to use though.

Stitches
05-21-2007, 11:31 AM
:lol: I can adjust fine, but in the Socom "Community" on most maps the grenade launcher attachments are frowned upon and considered a noob weapon. Their fun to use though.

That's why I use it, and I was never part of a community I guess. As I said, I had only played SOCOM 3.

And I didn't think it should be considered a noob weapon when I was using it at times. It's not like I was point blank firing at people, I had to factor in trajectory and usually aimed at moving targets across a map. Oh well though, even if it was frowned upon, it wouldn't stop me from using it.

Phinz420
05-21-2007, 04:14 PM
That's why I use it, and I was never part of a community I guess. As I said, I had only played SOCOM 3.

And I didn't think it should be considered a noob weapon when I was using it at times. It's not like I was point blank firing at people, I had to factor in trajectory and usually aimed at moving targets across a map. Oh well though, even if it was frowned upon, it wouldn't stop me from using it.

Right, but you have to take into account that many SOCOM vets that played pre- SOCOM 3 were forced to play in very tight maps. SOCOM 3 was the first one to have larger maps.

Grenade Launchers in small maps = Not fun :wink:

I didn't mind the launchers so much in SOCOM 3(sometimes they were annoying in Close Quarters though), especially with the whole attachment system they put in place making it so that you have to pick and choose what you want on your weapon.

In SOCOM 3 I generally used the grip enhancements for my rifles so that I could have more accurate bursts than those without the grip.

StormSurge
05-22-2007, 09:41 AM
I loved S3, but not as much as S2.

Remember when they told us that Desert Glory was going to be available to download for S3? I think Zipper told us it was coming out in March of 2006. I bet people are still waiting.

Sadly, that will be the last Socom game I play unless one is released for the 360.

FinsNCanes
05-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I loved Socom.

Hopefully they get back to their roots. I personally loved Fishhook sitting on the building where you can see all the way down to the water and just snipe people.