PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer? Starcraft or Warcraft III?

Dolfan32323
05-25-2007, 05:18 PM
Hi all, I am looking for a good RTS to kill some free time with, and have narrowed it down to Starcraft and Warcraft III (Reign of Chaos). I know both are old, but they are affordable and look like a ton of fun. Also does anyone know which has more online support? Thanks.

(and no World of Warcraft lol, yes I know it is fun but I can't do the monthly fees)

WestCKoastiN
05-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Warcraft 3 has better graphics an all, I like WarCraft only because i use to play DOTA but i grew up playing StarCraft and to me its way fun. and be on the look out for StarCraft 2.

Dolfan32323
05-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Yeah I had read that Warcraft was actually pretty similar to Starcraft. Might end up getting Starcraft due to the fact it's cheaper.

HysterikiLL
05-25-2007, 07:34 PM
Maddencraft

Dolfan32323
05-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Maddencraft? Care to enlighten me please?

Majpain
05-25-2007, 08:08 PM
SC blows WC out of the water.

Dolfan32323
05-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks Maj. It seems like most people prefer SC over WC. My cousin has been playing that game since it came out lol.

Colorado Dolfan
05-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks Maj. It seems like most people prefer SC over WC. My cousin has been playing that game since it came out lol.

Dude, if you can get both, do so...

http://mods.moddb.com/3704/project-revolution/

http://www.wc3campaigns.net/revolution/

You'll eventually be able to play the Starcraft campaigns using the better Warcraft III graphics... Looks pretty ****ing good... :rawk:

Hopefully will be out this summer to fall...

Edit: D'oh! Looks like this mod will require both expansions (Brood War and The Frozen Throne). Carry on... :(

Majpain
05-25-2007, 11:42 PM
No doubt it looks good but it looks nothing like SC.

SC has that dark gritty look.

Colorado Dolfan
05-25-2007, 11:49 PM
True... No doubt that that's mainly a skinning and map-building issue, though...

I believe the terrain textures in the teaser were the standard WCIII textures... They are working on textures specifically based on the Starcraft textures...

I can only hope they do the original justice... :(

Dolfan32323
05-26-2007, 09:33 AM
Dude, if you can get both, do so...

http://mods.moddb.com/3704/project-revolution/

http://www.wc3campaigns.net/revolution/

You'll eventually be able to play the Starcraft campaigns using the better Warcraft III graphics... Looks pretty ****ing good... :rawk:

Hopefully will be out this summer to fall...

Edit: D'oh! Looks like this mod will require both expansions (Brood War and The Frozen Throne). Carry on... :(
Well, in my area you can onlyy get the games as the "Battle Chests" which include the expansion packs.

mor911
05-26-2007, 11:25 AM
CtarCraft was a much better RTS imo. WarCraft3 because too small minded. Worried about herous and trying to level them for skills. StarCraft was all about massive armies destroying ****.

dolphinfan2k5
05-26-2007, 01:45 PM
I never played SC much but I've played Warcraft for years. I love the online play, with custom games like DOTA and tower wars etc. I'm sure SC has this same type of thing aswell, tough.

Dolfan32323
05-26-2007, 01:54 PM
Well, Gamestop is running a GREAT sale on their website and in stores. Check on their mainpage for the prices (same prices in store). I picked up the entire Starcraft Series and Rise of Nations for a total of $15. Good deal if you ask me. They also had games like Condemned for $15 or so.

Majpain
05-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Yeah SC and WC are very popular games. Though SC is a true RTS.

I also like its custom games.

Mari0k
05-26-2007, 09:14 PM
Startcraft 2 is commin out...

Dolfan32323
05-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Yes but not until Oct. of next year lol.

Majpain
05-26-2007, 09:51 PM
Yes but not until Oct. of next year lol.

Really thats the release date?

ricky williams
05-27-2007, 02:20 PM
i haven't played star craft in over a year but am currently playing war craft III some.

warcraft III has more of a story w/ your campaigns. there are heroes that are involved in the story that you also play during your campaigns. there is a certain rpg element as you build them up. as stated before the graphics are a bit more more advanced than sc. they also seem to be more close up to action where camera in sc is pulled back a little more. the scenery is much more organic in warcraft w/ trees and bushes and dirt roads.

starcraft graphics are beautiful in their own right. there are small little touches that make you admire the game even though it is pretty old. i personally like playing the humans and getting a whole bunch of guys w/ machine guns cutting down invading forces. pretty cool to watch. you can also build pretty cool defensive structures to protect your stuff. the atmosphere is very sterile being out in space in stuff. most of the maps are like tiny concrete and metal islands in the middle of space. so all you see is black stars above and below and your island in the middle. starcraft has the edge on sound effects. very good sound when you build or click on people. they say the darndest things. warcraft is similar but now quite as good.

i feel starcraft is a little better in terms of a true rts game but warcraft has better story/campaign elements. in the end give the nod to starcraft for the small touches that make it a great game.

Dolfan32323
05-27-2007, 02:37 PM
I did Ricky and am happy with my choice.
Majpain: That si what the guy at Gamestop said.

Majpain
05-27-2007, 03:18 PM
Hmm I haven't heard anything like that.