PDA

View Full Version : Denver Post: Sports Video Games Go Real-Time

Desides
05-30-2007, 06:08 PM
I'm posting this (http://www.denverpost.com/ci_6008203) only because it reveals EA's roadmap for sports games: real-time game changes depending on real-life game day weather and player injuries.

Bristol, Conn. - The line between real and fantasy sports is about to become a little more blurred.
A partnership with ESPN is allowing video-game maker Electronic Arts Inc. to dramatically increase real-time content in sports-themed video games.
Starting with this summer's release of the Madden NFL game, players with a high-speed Internet connection can have real-life action directly affect what happens in their video games.

ESPN signed a 15-year marketing agreement last year with Redwood City, Calif.-based Electronic Arts, which reported 2006 revenues of $2.95 billion. Its most popular sports titles include NBA Live, NCAA Baseball and its Madden game, which features broadcaster and former coach John Madden.
Some PS3 and Xbox gamers already receive some ESPN content in their EA games, including podcasts of ESPN radio shows, video highlights and a real-time sports ticker.
"The idea is that someone playing the game won't have to turn it off or switch to the television to get sports news," said Raphael Poplock, EPSN's interactive gaming manager.
Beginning in August, thanks to a deal with The Weather Channel, a Madden '08 NFL game at the Baltimore Ravens' stadium automatically will be set in the snow if it happens to be snowing that day on Maryland's Atlantic coast.
Similar innovations soon will allow an option to incorporate current sports news and statistics from ESPN into the game.
"So if a guy in the real world twists his ankle, you can't use him in the game until he gets back," said Aaron LaBerge, senior vice president of technology and product development for ESPN.
A baseball star on a hot streak temporarily could become a better hitter in EA Sports' MLB title.
A Cinderella upset in the NCAA basketball tournament immediately could be reflected in the March Madness video game, he said.

I'm sold. How about you?

mor911
05-30-2007, 06:46 PM
i'm ok

Majpain
05-30-2007, 06:46 PM
No... EA pulls this crap every year.

Slappy8800
05-30-2007, 06:48 PM
so what? im playing a season and Im gonna break the rushing record but X player gets hurt so I cant use him? or what? im confused

TheAnswer385
05-30-2007, 06:55 PM
yea say your in week 15 in the season and its only in week 4 in real life and say chad johnson gets hurt in a real game will that also make him injured on the game?

One thing i think could be cool is that you can play your season with the real nfl season and it puts up the real scores and stats from all the games except for the team that the user controles that week that would get people into (cheering)the real games also. What do you think?

NewEra8
05-30-2007, 09:00 PM
yea say your in week 15 in the season and its only in week 4 in real life and say chad johnson gets hurt in a real game will that also make him injured on the game?

One thing i think could be cool is that you can play your season with the real nfl season and it puts up the real scores and stats from all the games except for the team that the user controles that week that would get people into (cheering)the real games also. What do you think?

I like that a hell of a lot better than what it sounds like theyre doing

Uncle Rico II
05-30-2007, 09:31 PM
This sounds like a lot of time and effort that could of been used improving other elements of the game.

AirMarino83
05-31-2007, 01:21 AM
This sounds like a lot of time and effort that could of been used improving other elements of the game.

thank you... ea, always does this, putting on a new shiney bow, while the package remains the same. i hope this is not the case.

UltraDol-Fan
05-31-2007, 09:29 AM
I'm not buying it, it's going to be 2k8 or nothing

Bruzer
05-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Yea im losing all hope for the ea football games instead of fixing the core elements of the game they add some fancy new feature to cover up their obvious disregard of knowing what would actually improve the game.

Dol-Fan Dupree
05-31-2007, 01:29 PM
I will be happy if they can just a computer that isn't really stupid when it comes to trading.

Still I always thought real time was something that is more impressive when you hear about it then when you use it. Especially during a season, why would I want real time weather? Have summer weather in Denver when it is December in my game?

SpurzN703
05-31-2007, 01:57 PM
It sounds like a cool idea but I'm not sure I'd like it. I didn't like Madden 07 for the 360 this year.

UltraDol-Fan
05-31-2007, 02:21 PM
how about having drafts that didn't have 900 Defensive Ends and 1 Quarterback