PDA

View Full Version : Recent Trends in the AFC East.

jp2lee783
06-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Just something i noticed

Buffalo Bills

2003:6-10
2004:9-7(New Coach, Miss Playoffs by one game)
2005:5-11(Coach Resigns)

Miami Dolphins

2004:4-12
2005:9-7(New Coach, Miss Playoffs by one game)
2006:6-10(Coach Resigns)

New York Jets

2005:4-12
2006:10-6(New Coach, Makes Playoffs)
2007:?????

At least the last three years, the last place team from the previous year has had some sort of playoff run. Even though coming up short with Buffalo and Miami, I still found it kind of interesting. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2007 with the Jets. I know one thing though, Mangini won't resign.

feelthepain
06-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Why won't Mangini resign?

jp2lee783
06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I guess i have no real response. I was going to say i just don't see that happening, but no one probably saw Malarkey or Saban resigning after their first season.

satz
06-04-2007, 02:58 PM
I am one of the few who see the jets fate tighted to chad then to mangini.When chad was healthy they have won 10 games like last year.

As long is he is their they have a chance.
satz

Mo Lewis
06-04-2007, 04:43 PM
I am one of the few who see the jets fate tighted to chad then to mangini.When chad was healthy they have won 10 games like last year.

As long is he is their they have a chance.
satz

Thats exactly what it comes down too. In 02, 04 and 06 he played most of the season and they made the playoffs in all 3. In 03 he missed the first 8 games and 05 he missed the last 13 games and the jets did terrible both seasons.

BwanaZulia
06-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Eric wouldn't resign after 2 years, he is building a strong system.

If Chad stays healthy this year, I think we can make a real shot at the Pats.

BZ

Jetsfan0099
06-06-2007, 11:01 AM
The difference in the trend is that the Jets went to the playoffs and were 10-6 not 9-7. Plus IMO the Jets had a better team then the Bills or Dolphins. The Jets been making the playoffs for a while now, the Phins and Bills havent made it in a while. I think Mangini is the real deal, most people will tell you that. He is different from Saban, he has a unique coaching style and has more of that championship glare about him. All the great coaches of all time always seem to have the same composure all the time, they never lose their cool and even when they are up they have the same face as if they were losing, Mangini has that. His players trust him and feel that he knows what he is doing. Hes a smart coach, has a plan and knows what he is doing. Players are joining the team to come play for a coach like Mangini, every player that signed with us said that Mangini sounded like a great coach. They all say the same thing, he knows what he is doing, hes direct, and he has a plan for that player that he signed. He also gives everyone a opportunity to start. Hes a mixed between BB and Parcells.

DaBills4life
06-06-2007, 04:38 PM
Mangini will coach NE in 2008.

Joking aside, it could happen. The Jets were not a very good team last year. They had 7-9 or 6-10 stats. But as long as their 2nd year lineman live up to the hype, they should be a better team next year, but probably have a worse record, 8-8 or 9-7.

The Bills absolutely rolled the Jets last year. That was not a 10-6 team.

Jetsfan0099
06-06-2007, 04:50 PM
The Jets beat the Bills the first time and lost the 2nd because the Jets played a bad game. The Jets are a much improved team, and the Bills lost talent. I dont care what you think, when you lose Nate Clements, Mcgahee, London Fletcher, Spikes in the same offseason your chances on becoming a better team right away is bad.

Mo Lewis
06-06-2007, 05:01 PM

Joking aside, it could happen. The Jets were not a very good team last year. They had 7-9 or 6-10 stats. But as long as their 2nd year lineman live up to the hype, they should be a better team next year, but probably have a worse record, 8-8 or 9-7.

The bills also lost to the lions

Mo Lewis
06-06-2007, 05:04 PM
The difference in the trend is that the Jets went to the playoffs and were 10-6 not 9-7. Plus IMO the Jets had a better team then the Bills or Dolphins. The Jets been making the playoffs for a while now, the Phins and Bills havent made it in a while. I think Mangini is the real deal, most people will tell you that. He is different from Saban, he has a unique coaching style and has more of that championship glare about him. All the great coaches of all time always seem to have the same composure all the time, they never lose their cool and even when they are up they have the same face as if they were losing, Mangini has that. His players trust him and feel that he knows what he is doing. Hes a smart coach, has a plan and knows what he is doing. Players are joining the team to come play for a coach like Mangini, every player that signed with us said that Mangini sounded like a great coach. They all say the same thing, he knows what he is doing, hes direct, and he has a plan for that player that he signed. He also gives everyone a opportunity to start. Hes a mixed between BB and Parcells.

That also plays a factor. The bills havent made the playoffs since 99 and the dolphins since 2001. The Jets made it in 02 and 04. The two seasons they missed out where the seasons chad got hurt.

The ENTIRE afc east had pretty easy schedules last season. So if people want to call the jets a weak 10-6 team, then that make the dolphins and bills weark 6 and 7 win teams.

Jetsfan0099
06-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I dont get why people dont think the Jets were good last year, they almost beat the Colts well they should of they really out played the Colts in that game, they beat the Pats once and came close the 2 other times, all 3 games were close and a battle. When they played good teams they didnt lose that bad, it would be a close game that could go anyway. They were young last year and inexperienced.

Lee evans83
06-07-2007, 03:28 PM
That also plays a factor. The bills havent made the playoffs since 99 and the dolphins since 2001. The Jets made it in 02 and 04. The two seasons they missed out where the seasons chad got hurt.

The ENTIRE afc east had pretty easy schedules last season. So if people want to call the jets a weak 10-6 team, then that make the dolphins and bills weark 6 and 7 win teams.

Please explain to me how the Bills had the toughest strength of schedule in the league yet had an easy schedule

Mo Lewis
06-07-2007, 04:15 PM
Please explain to me how the Bills had the toughest strength of schedule in the league yet had an easy schedule

Last year the AFC east played the NFC north and AFC South.
This year the east plays the NFC east and AFC North

The only difference is the two games. Buffalo got screwed in that department again as they draw Denver and Jacksonville.
Jets get KC and Tenn
Miami gets Raiders and Houston

BwanaZulia
06-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I dont get why people dont think the Jets were good last year, they almost beat the Colts well they should of they really out played the Colts in that game, they beat the Pats once and came close the 2 other times, all 3 games were close and a battle. When they played good teams they didnt lose that bad, it would be a close game that could go anyway. They were young last year and inexperienced.

I hope that people don't think the Jets were good last year, that way they can just mark us as wins on the calendar this year. :)

BZ

rdhstlr23
06-08-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm one of the people that isn't on the Jets Bandwagon. I think they showed great progress last year. However, a lot of that success was due to beating poor teams. And, that's not a bad thing. They beat the teams they should have beaten and were rewarded with a playoff game. I always say this...Every time I watch a Jets game I come away with the same feeling. How does this team beat us? Yet, they do. I just think the team will struggle this year with a much more difficult schedule. I still believe they finish second in the division but with only a record of 8-8, 9-7. Just my opinion. They remind of a 2005 Jacksonville Jaguars team that went 12-4 based a lot on a very easy schedule. I think the Jets are one of those teams like Jacksonville, Cincinnati, and Carolina that just fail to impress after having a good year.

Scott Pioli
06-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Eric wouldn't resign after 2 years, he is building a strong system.

If Chad stays healthy this year, I think we can make a real shot at the Pats.

BZ

:sidelol:

Mo Lewis
06-08-2007, 03:48 PM
I'm one of the people that isn't on the Jets Bandwagon. I think they showed great progress last year. However, a lot of that success was due to beating poor teams. And, that's not a bad thing. They beat the teams they should have beaten and were rewarded with a playoff game. I always say this...Every time I watch a Jets game I come away with the same feeling. How does this team beat us? Yet, they do. I just think the team will struggle this year with a much more difficult schedule. I still believe they finish second in the division but with only a record of 8-8, 9-7. Just my opinion. They remind of a 2005 Jacksonville Jaguars team that went 12-4 based a lot on a very easy schedule. I think the Jets are one of those teams like Jacksonville, Cincinnati, and Carolina that just fail to impress after having a good year.

Maybe. I sort of agree with you. I think the jets will be better than last year, but will have the same record. Last year they (the entire afc east) played a "soft schedule". On paper it looks harder this year. However last year the jets did not have a running game. They had the worst yards per carry in the entire league. That has been addressed.

They also had a new defensive system (3-4 instead of 4-3) which took about 8 games to get in order. In the first 8 games they allowed 193 points, while in the last 8 they allowed 102. They addressed some issues such as d-line depth. Kimo von olhoffen started last year. This year they brought in Keyon Coleman from dallas to replace him (played very well the last 10 games). They also added 3-4 other guys including david bowens. They used their first two draft picks on defensemen.

So I think the jets are a better team, but finish 10-6 (2nd in the division) and get a wildcard spot.

BwanaZulia
06-15-2007, 02:15 PM
:sidelol:

You still upset about last year right? :)

Better to laugh than cry.

BZ

BwanaZulia
06-15-2007, 02:16 PM
So I think the jets are a better team, but finish 10-6 (2nd in the division) and get a wildcard spot.

I think you are dead on (reading my mind).

Last year I went against the grain and picked them to go 9-7 but this year, even as a better team, I only see them winning one more.

Split with Pats and sweep either Bills or Pats.

BZ

GoBills24
06-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I think you are dead on (reading my mind).

Last year I went against the grain and picked them to go 9-7 but this year, even as a better team, I only see them winning one more.

Split with Pats and sweep either Bills or Pats.

BZ

The Jets will NOT sweep the Bills this season.

Sweeps don't occur often in Bills-Jets matchups.

BwanaZulia
06-15-2007, 04:44 PM
The Jets will NOT sweep the Bills this season.

Sweeps don't occur often in Bills-Jets matchups.

That is true. That is why I said either Bills or Dolphins.

I think the Dolphins could surprise some this year, but probably not enough.

BZ

Zeke0123
06-15-2007, 04:57 PM
Mularkey just plain sucks and Saban was a college coach that got "lost" in the NFL for 2 years....Mangini is not going to leave the jets anywhere in the near future barring some drastic turn of events.

Mike13
06-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Saban was not a good coach, Mularkey was not a good coach.
Jury's out on Mangini, we'll see what he can do in his second year.

BleedinGreenNC
06-15-2007, 08:03 PM

Rolled them?? We split the 2 games.

I guess it's the little battles that you Bill's fans enjoy winning.

GoBills24
06-15-2007, 09:31 PM

I guess it's the little battles that you Bill's fans enjoy winning.

Pretty sure he meant the one at the Meadowlands.

Zeke0123
06-15-2007, 09:54 PM

I guess it's the little battles that you Bill's fans enjoy winning.and what "BIG" battles have the Jets enjoyed winning lately???

this one ?

SCORING SUMMARY

1ST QUARTER
TD Corey Dillon, 11 Yd run (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 11:53. Drive: 10 plays, 65 yards in 3:07.
FG Mike Nugent 28 Yd, 2:36. Drive: 4 plays, 5 yards in 1:30.
2ND QUARTER
TD Jerricho Cotchery, 77 Yd pass from Chad Pennington (Mike Nugent kick is good), 14:45. Drive: 3 plays, 80 yards in 0:17.
FG Stephen Gostkowski 20 Yd, 10:57. Drive: 10 plays, 56 yards in 3:48.
TD Daniel Graham, 1 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 0:11. Drive: 15 plays, 80 yards in 6:54.
3RD QUARTER
FG Mike Nugent 21 Yd, 8:19. Drive: 13 plays, 73 yards in 6:41.
FG Stephen Gostkowski 40 Yd, 4:22. Drive: 8 plays, 52 yards in 3:57.
FG Stephen Gostkowski 28 Yd, 0:04. Drive: 4 plays, 5 yards in 1:39.
4TH QUARTER
FG Mike Nugent 37 Yd, 11:39. Drive: 8 plays, 61 yards in 3:25.
TD Kevin Faulk, 7 Yd pass from Tom Brady (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 5:16. Drive: 13 plays, 63 yards in 6:23.
TD Asante Samuel, 36 Yd interception return (Stephen Gostkowski kick is good), 4:54.

honestly the only team in the division that should smack talk is NE even tho it bugs me.. at least they have some positive recent history other than regular season bragging rights.

Mater Dei
06-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Coincidence.

The Jets will play as well as Pennington plays. Healthy Chadwick = Playoff contender Jets (imagine if he had a better arm like the '02 days).

It would take a 1-15 season for Mangini to hang it up after two years. I don't see him jumping ship like Nick Satan. Seems ya know.. actually committed to building a good franchise in NY.

Dors156
07-08-2007, 03:04 PM
The Big picture of the AFC East depends on how well the jets do and the jets success all depends on the success and health of pennington. Last year it seemed like a blessing to jets fans that he stayed healthy and also played well. If he doesnt stay healthy then i dont think the jets will do well. Then next in line is the dolphins and what do you know their season depends on how healthy Green is and how well he plays. Then after that the bills have to depend on their defense because they lost alot this offseason and they are really young.

rdhstlr23
07-08-2007, 05:00 PM
The NFL is certainly a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league, but I didn't think it was with it's fans. I think this year's division has the potential to stack up against a lot of the other divisions--in terms of difficulty in playing us. I'm still not sold on NE. They showed last year that their defense wasn't as dominant as it was in the SB Championship years. Their 2 biggest leaders--Harrison and Bruschi---are older and injury prone. Not to mention, it's extremely tough to win with a bunch of stars when everyone expects you to win. I think the win the division, but don't have it as easy as most "analysts" and fans predict. I think the Jets will be difficult--especially if Pennington stays healthy. History shows that if he's healthy, they're playoff bound. With Miami, we were extremely competitive in all of our games and won 6 on the defense alone. I can already expect 5 wins, based purely on the will of Taylor, Thomas, and Porter. If we get any offensive game at all 9-10 isn't exactly out of reach---especially this day in the NFL....and Jets fans should know how quickly you can turn things around. The Bills have a chance to scare anyone with that offense. I project them as the weakest team in the division---but weakest among teams that will all be competitive. If the Bills struggle, they'll certainly be competitive, and probably at least split with both Miami and New York...It's a division that has a chance to get back to a decade ago where every team was tough and we'd just beat up on each other....I loved those days.

GoBills24
07-08-2007, 11:13 PM
It's a division that has a chance to get back to a decade ago where every team was tough and we'd just beat up on each other....I loved those days.

Didn't we all...

MR NFLFAN
07-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Just something i noticed

Buffalo Bills

2003:6-10
2004:9-7(New Coach, Miss Playoffs by one game)
2005:5-11(Coach Resigns)

Miami Dolphins

2004:4-12
2005:9-7(New Coach, Miss Playoffs by one game)
2006:6-10(Coach Resigns)

New York Jets

2007:?????

At least the last three years, the last place team from the previous year has had some sort of playoff run. Even though coming up short with Buffalo and Miami, I still found it kind of interesting. It will be interesting to see what happens in 2007 with the Jets. I know one thing though, Mangini won't resign.

New York Jets

2007: Mangina requires triple bypass heart surgery ( put on restricted donunt intake)