PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: TANK Johnson!

playmaker1
06-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Breaking news.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2892889

BIHPhinFan4Life
06-04-2007, 03:46 PM
wow! i didnt think he would get that many, he was a two time offender, once in 03 or 04 i believe and now. i thought he would get around 4 games but guess not.Goodell is coming down hard on everyone.

RastaMan407
06-04-2007, 03:58 PM
Goodell is not playing. Seeing this "Joey Porter" will be suspended. I guessing 2-3 games max..

playmaker1
06-04-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm glad though. 'Bout time they try to clean up the league. Make sure guys know if they are going to do things, they are going to get punished accordingly

cnc66
06-04-2007, 04:01 PM
Goodell is not playing. Seeing this "Joey Porter" will be suspended. I guessing 2-3 games max..

I'm guessing you are wrong... J Peezy doesn't have the rap sheet... I'm thinking a fine, nothing more...

welcome Rasta Man, glad you joined us

NoLimit84
06-04-2007, 04:01 PM
I doubt anything will happen to Joey. The people getting suspended have had numerous off the field problems in short periods of time.

Roman529
06-04-2007, 04:04 PM
It is nice seeing the Commish come down hard on these clowns....even though I hope Joey Porter doesn't get suspended, I think he could also miss a game or two.

Roman529
06-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Anything more than ONE game for Joey would be a bit much....I think a $10,000 fine or something along those lines, would be fair. We'll see what Goddell wants to do. There's a new Sheriff in town and the fellas better wake up. :lol:

phinphan11
06-04-2007, 04:10 PM
His punishment.... a 5 minute round with one of Vick's dawgs!

finyank13
06-04-2007, 04:17 PM

Pizzy never went to the bing son...............welcome aboard son............

HysterikiLL
06-04-2007, 04:34 PM
That is such bull****! The guy served 60 days in prison...that should be taken into account. This is really ridiculous...and if this board was owned by the NFL, I would probably get a 6 year ban for posting this.

playmaker1
06-04-2007, 04:38 PM
He could get it knocked from 8 games to 6. At least they are working with him. But he has had problems off the field sense he was at UW

ncdolfan
06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Everything I've heard about the new policy says that suspension is not likely if it is a "first offense". The common thread with PacMan, Tank, and Chris Henry is that they have had multiple run-ins with the law.

I don't think that is the case with Joey Porter - isn't this his first run-in with the law? If so, I don't think he gets suspended, I think he pays a fine and gets put on "probation".

HysterikiLL
06-04-2007, 05:05 PM
Joey Porter should run and hide. Sure Tank had a worse history than Porter, but he SPENT 60 DAYS IN JAIL and a fine, yet still got 8 games.

I wouldn't be surprised if Porter gets 4 games.

finswin56
06-04-2007, 05:10 PM
That is such bull****! The guy served 60 days in prison...that should be taken into account. This is really ridiculous...and if this board was owned by the NFL, I would probably get a 6 year ban for posting this.

Are you saying that 60 days in jail should make the suspension less?

Larry Little
06-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Joey Porter should run and hide. Sure Tank had a worse history than Porter, but he SPENT 60 DAYS IN JAIL and a fine, yet still got 8 games.

I wouldn't be surprised if Porter gets 4 games.

I hope I'm not being biased here, but... it would be absolutely ridiculous if Joey Porter gets suspended for 4 games for getting into one fight. Tank was on probation, and had illegal firearms. Big difference.

DolfanDaveInATX
06-04-2007, 06:05 PM
Tank Johnson was arrested twice for weapons offenses, and once for aggravated assault and resisting arrest.

Joey Porter was cited for simple battery, which is a lesser offense than assault.

Porter will get one game, at most.

bullseyeguy
06-04-2007, 06:55 PM
I actually think Tank is a good guy, unlike Pacman and Henry...You have to give him 6-8 games though...

HysterikiLL
06-04-2007, 10:23 PM
Tank Johnson was arrested twice for weapons offenses, and once for aggravated assault and resisting arrest.

Joey Porter was cited for simple battery, which is a lesser offense than assault.

Porter will get one game, at most.

You're completely missing the point though. Tank Johnson spent 2 months in jail. Sure Porter's offense was less, but Johnson's jail time should be taken into account when he is getting punished.

finswin56
06-04-2007, 11:01 PM
You're completely missing the point though. Tank Johnson spent 2 months in jail. Sure Porter's offense was less, but Johnson's jail time should be taken into account when he is getting punished.
I'll ask again, because I don't want to misinterpret this.
Are you saying his jail time served, should allow him LESS of a suspension?

juniorseau55
06-04-2007, 11:39 PM
You people are missing the point. Don't look at it for the sentence he got, goodel look at things such as why. He spent 2 months in jail for having 6 illegal guns in his house that could have been used to murder somebody.

Now compare that to a childish fight between two grown men that did not get them to jail. So I will be extremely shocked to see him get suspended by 1 game alone.

juniorseau55
06-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I'll ask again, because I don't want to misinterpret this.
Are you saying his jail time served, should allow him LESS of a suspension?

Go read the article. If he keeps a clean behavior, he will get 6 games instead. Then he can play 10 games.

Tank got suspended 8 games for being caught with 6 illegal guns in his house. Guns can kill other people. If Joey gets in this mess then he will serve more likely no more than 2 games.

finswin56
06-05-2007, 12:00 AM
Go read the article. If he keeps a clean behavior, he will get 6 games instead. Then he can play 10 games.

Tank got suspended 8 games for being caught with 6 illegal guns in his house. Guns can kill other people. If Joey gets in this mess then he will serve more likely no more than 2 games.

My question has nothing to do with the article. Hysterikill said the suspension was BS because of the time served. That is what I'm referring to; his opinion, not the contents of the article.

HysterikiLL
06-05-2007, 12:27 AM
To answer your question FW, yeah I do think that. I feel that it should be considered that he has served a punishment for his actions. Now that's not to say he doesn't deserve any suspension, but I think the NFL needs to look at the heart of the matter. They are disciplining him because his actions are detrimental to the NFL and it's image, but they should accept that part of the disciplinary process has been carried out through his jail term.

I just feel that the bottom line should be trying to get the players straightened out and away from trouble, and I think that serving the prison sentence was far more effective at doing that than any suspension. Like I say, he should've still been disciplined, but I felt 4 games was fair. 8 games is a lot of time.

finswin56
06-05-2007, 08:05 AM
To answer your question FW, yeah I do think that. I feel that it should be considered that he has served a punishment for his actions. Now that's not to say he doesn't deserve any suspension, but I think the NFL needs to look at the heart of the matter. They are disciplining him because his actions are detrimental to the NFL and it's image, but they should accept that part of the disciplinary process has been carried out through his jail term.

I just feel that the bottom line should be trying to get the players straightened out and away from trouble, and I think that serving the prison sentence was far more effective at doing that than any suspension. Like I say, he should've still been disciplined, but I felt 4 games was fair. 8 games is a lot of time.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I couldn't disagree more. Since this whole policy is about protecting the League's image, being convicted and serving time should only increase your suspension IMO. IDK that there's ever been a league punishment policy that has been rehabilitative. They only serve as punishment, and deterrence towards other players. Rehabilitation is the state's problem. The NFL is a business, and one that needs to desperately watch out for its image.

tylerdolphin
06-05-2007, 11:31 AM

8 games is a bit much, but I can see why. The guy had a bunch of illegal guns while on prohibation. Dont do the crime if you cant do the time.

tylerdolphin
06-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I couldn't disagree more. Since this whole policy is about protecting the League's image, being convicted and serving time should only increase your suspension IMO. IDK that there's ever been a league punishment policy that has been rehabilitative. They only serve as punishment, and deterrence towards other players. Rehabilitation is the state's problem. The NFL is a business, and one that needs to desperately watch out for its image.
Agreed