PDA

View Full Version : Portis or Williams

Tatonka
07-30-2003, 01:16 AM
this is probably the wrong site to ask this question.. be as honest as you can without the blinders on please.

which would you rather have..

Travis Henry and Clinton Portis to start your FF team with

or

Travis Henry and Ricky Williams?

i guess what i am saying is..

what are your projections for CP and RW?

TerryTate
07-30-2003, 01:22 AM
The Line for Denver is always solid and usually guarantees anyone in the backfield a thousand yards....hes a safe pick for sure, but Williams is so powerful he can make up for our questionable line. The risk u are taking with Ricky is his fumbling and the possibility of an injury, before his injury free year with miami, he had some problems in New Orleans.

All depends on the Risk factor....

Im a gutsy guy so Id go for Ricky Williams in a heartbeat...

Tatonka
07-30-2003, 01:28 AM
wow.. i was actually thinking portis was a bit more risky with more reward. i am thinking that the best that i could hope for from ricky is what he did last year.. or very close to it.

where as portis had 1500 yards and only started 11 games.. 5.7 yards a carry average..

but you do bring up good points about ricky's fumbles and injury history as well.

MDFINFAN
07-30-2003, 01:33 AM
I'd have to agree with Ultimate on this one, the Denver OL is just awesome year out and year in. Our OL is too thin in depth right now to take a big risk. Ricky will probably give you the fantasy numbers you're looking for, but I would go with Portis, because of his OL. Too many years that OL has proven itself, no matter who the runner.

Clumpy
07-30-2003, 01:34 AM
I rarely draft Miami players and when I do it's usually Mare :lol:

DolphinDevil28
07-30-2003, 01:40 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no.

Gonk
07-30-2003, 01:43 AM
Ricky, because Denver usually throws more than they do run. Our offense is mostly based around our running game, and because of that- Ricky will put up better/more stats.

Plus Clinton isn't half the running back Ricky is :)

Clumpy
07-30-2003, 01:46 AM
:D

Seriously, it's really a tough call on RW.........do you really expect him to run for 1800 yds again this year? I don't. 1500? maybe. In my league I expect RW's scoring to be at least 2 pts less per week on average. Portis could suffer from sophmoritis......remember, he wanted to re-do his deal after 1 yr. I have Henry as my #5 RB in my rankings but that can charge depending how TC goes and inujuries, etc

Tatonka
07-30-2003, 01:47 AM
gonk, how do you explain portis's YPC average and the fact that he got 1500+ yards in 11 games if he is not the runner ricky is..

i am not trying to make this a trash ricky/portis match here.. i really want your opinion..

denver runs the same system that produced a 2000 yard rusher once already.. just fyi.

Prime Time
07-30-2003, 01:58 AM
Go with whoever you want. Go with the weaker run defense every week.

Gonk
07-30-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Tatonka
gonk, how do you explain portis's YPC average and the fact that he got 1500+ yards in 11 games if he is not the runner ricky is..

i am not trying to make this a trash ricky/portis match here.. i really want your opinion..

denver runs the same system that produced a 2000 yard rusher once already.. just fyi.

I was kidding about the Portis not being half as good as Ricky thing. Clinton Portis was definetly one of the best RB's in the league last year.

Portis won't put up the same numbers as Ricky because he won't have as many carries as Ricky. Ricky is the center of our offense, whereas in Denver, Portis isn't. Denver spreads the ball around more evenly- who wouldn't with McCaffrey, Rod Smith, and Sharpe? Plus they've got one of the best FB's in the league, and he'll be getting a lot of carries. Ricky had 380+ carries last season, and now our coaching staff is saying he is going to be running the ball even more! Portis is good, but he's only been in the league one year, so he could turn out to be a one year bust (probably not though.) Ricky has proved year after year that he can put up 1,000 yard seasons.

ckparrothead
07-30-2003, 02:15 AM
The answer Tatonka is commitment. Clinton Portis showed everything to coaches that he ended up doing throughout the season, long before being declared a starter. But the coaches wouldn't commit to him for a full 5 games. Why? Well he's got fumblitis, he's not the smartest guy in the world, and he's not the hardest workin guy in the world either. He wasn't picking up his assignments, his attitude wasnt good, and he was fumbling.

And anyway, the 5th game there Portis had 20 carries, which is more than in 5 of the next 11 games which he "started" And in the first 4 games he averaged 7 carries a game. In fact he had a full 18 carries in one of those 4 games.

So don't get all carried away with the whole "1500 yards in only 11 games" thing. Bottom line he either started or good as started in 13 of the games, and his carries in the games he started are really low. That shows a tentativeness to give him the ball. I mean think about it, with the Griese/Beurlein quarterback situation the way it was, why was this guy with his bad @ss 5.7 ypc getting only 273 carries?

Bottom line to me is that this guy is not going to be getting 350 to 400 tries at toting the rock. Ricky Williams will. He could get more than 400 carries even. So Ricky I would expect not only to get more yards, but more TDs.

I think Portis' high YPC had a lot to do with the fact that he got the ball rather sparingly. Remember Anthony Thomas!

Hellion
07-30-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
:D

Seriously, it's really a tough call on RW.........do you really expect him to run for 1800 yds again this year? I don't. 1500? maybe. In my league I expect RW's scoring to be at least 2 pts less per week on average.

That's interesting clump, do you feel that way because you feel Miami's offense will produce more yards and scores throught the passing game or do you think he and the OL just won't produce like last year?

Disclaimer I'm only asking your opinion not starting a Fins/Bills arguement. Unless you feel they won't produce the same on the ground. :tongue:

Surferosa
07-30-2003, 06:37 AM
Tatonka,

Youre generally an OK poster, but what kind of response do you expect when post this question on a Dolphin board? Come on dude. Go ask the question at Footballguys, where youre likely to get an answer answer that will satisfy youre needs.

CanadianFish
07-30-2003, 06:46 AM
I have to disagree with alot of people on this thread my pick would be Portis he had what 1500 yards in 11 games? Also with Plummer being New to Denvers playbook they may run the ball more then usual to take the pressure off Jake. I still think Ricky is a better Back but I think Denver's line is by far superior to ours.

inFINSible
07-30-2003, 07:43 AM
Ricky is worthy of a number 1 overall FFdraft pick.....Is Portis talked about like that? I seriously don't know, that was my first thought when reading your question.

....and another thing, there isn't any reason why Ricky should rush for less yardage this year, except maybe that he will catch a few more passes and lose a few carries that way, but, if you are looking for overall yardage and scoring, Ricky would be a 50/50 bet to lead the league in both catagories.

FinsGoToGuy
07-30-2003, 09:02 AM
Ricky got 1800 yards facing 8 men in the box last year because of the injury to Fiedler (and the poor play of Lucas).

He won't be facing that all year long if our passing game improve and he will see more action so an 1500+ yards is almost garanteed and an other 1800+ yards is still possible.

Tatonka
07-30-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Surferosa
Tatonka,

Youre generally an OK poster, but what kind of response do you expect when post this question on a Dolphin board? Come on dude. Go ask the question at Footballguys, where youre likely to get an answer answer that will satisfy youre needs.

well thanks for that really sweet compliment. i have worked hard to be a "generally OK poster" :rolleyes:

and you were asking what kind of response i wanted. see below. and i dont point it out only because it is for portis, but because it was honest... ckparrot's post was excellent too.. sometimes i dont want the opinion of a fantasy football message board.. i just want to get in the minds of a regular fan.. most of these guys here play ff anyway.

Originally posted by CanadianFish
I have to disagree with alot of people on this thread my pick would be Portis he had what 1500 yards in 11 games? Also with Plummer being New to Denvers playbook they may run the ball more then usual to take the pressure off Jake. I still think Ricky is a better Back but I think Denver's line is by far superior to ours.

Al13
07-30-2003, 10:03 AM
so without having on my dolphin glasses , i would say u should go for williams here, think about it, he lost some more weight and is leaner and looks even faster, u have portis on the other side, who is only in his 2nd season that normally is known as the sophomore slump, doesn´t need to be but even if ricky is not producing the same rushing yards as last year, expect his receiving yards to go up, one question though what pick do u have ? must be high that u have a chance to think about getting ricky, but what about tomlinson ??? u rank him lower than portis ?

gottahavefootba
07-30-2003, 12:57 PM
Well they have said that Ricky will be used more this year then last... not only running but as a reciever also.. I think he may have less rushing yards this year but more fantasy points. As for Portis, he is the gamble. I think it is a good gamble though. He should have a quality year. Of course with Plummer and the wr's they have there they may go to the air alot. I think your best bet would be Portis/Ricky and forget Henry ;) but that's just me.
Question.. do you know for sure you will get one of these combo's or is it just something you are throwing up for talk. Do you have Henry in a keeper league and the first pick this year or something?

Tatonka
07-30-2003, 01:34 PM
portis and henry are my keepers.. i finished 3rd last year, so i pick in the 8th spot.

the guy in second place has Tomlinson and Williams.. he has approached me about the trade.. i drafted henry as a rookie and traded for portis early last year (traded bledsoe after week 8, which was about the time he started to stink it up, because i also had vick..rofl)..

the guy with LT and RW drafted both of them in years past and kept them too..

it is just a though.. i am REALLY indecisive about this. it would be tough to root for ricky all year.. but i want to win.. now i just cant figure out which would be better to accomplish that. projections have them with almost identical numbers.. so it may end up being a wash regardles..

gottahavefootba
07-30-2003, 04:45 PM
Is he looking for an even trade? Ricky for Portis.. if that is the case I would make the trade and take Ricky.. I think Portis will have a very good year, but I think Ricky will put up more points consistently.

SuperMarksBros.
08-01-2003, 08:42 AM
denver: four 1000 yard rushers in four years
miami: three 1000 yard backs in a quarter century, jabbar and lamar (i'm a poet, i dont know it ;))with 1100+ and last years display...you tell me, who has the most ability?