PDA

View Full Version : The Fastest Player in the Draft and or league

Da GODfather
06-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows If Ginn Jr ran the fastest 40, and if not who did? Also was just curious where abouts he ranks with the fastest players in the league active and non active

dominizzo
06-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Ginn Is the fastest!!! I say He makes great Immediate Impact with the Fish

Motion
06-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Yamon Figurs was the fastest at the combine I believe. He ran a 4.30.

grooves12
06-12-2007, 03:55 PM
No, supposedly he has been running in the 4.3's but Ginn's real asset is not his quickness/buurst... he is at his best once he hits second gear. He was a national champ in the 110m high hurdle in high school, and was a key part of several 400m relay wins in College.

BlueFin
06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows If Ginn Jr ran the fastest 40, and if not who did? Also was just curious where abouts he ranks with the fastest players in the league active and non active

Ginn was injured at the combine, had he been healthy he would probably have run the fastest time.

Charlie Casserly, 30 year NFL personnel man, said Ginn was the 2nd fastest player he's ever scouted, Darrell Green was the fastest.

BillsFanInPeace
06-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Yamon Figurs was the fastest at the combine I believe. He ran a 4.30.

You are correct Yamon Figures was the fastest player in this years draft.

circumstances
06-12-2007, 03:57 PM
ginn didn't run at the combine and was still hurt when he ran for scouts at his pro day. i don't know what the fastest he has ever been clocked in the 40, but charley casserly said that he is the fastest player he has ever scouted in his 30 years in the NFL, other than darrell green.

Hudman
06-12-2007, 03:58 PM
The only reason Ginn wasn't the fastest is he was still hurt. He still ran a 4.35 i believe. If healthy he was rumured to be attempting give a record time. I believe Darrell Green had the fastest all time with a 4.28.

BlueFin
06-12-2007, 03:59 PM
No, supposedly he has been running in the 4.3's but Ginn's real asset is not his quickness/buurst... he is at his best once he hits second gear. He was a national champ in the 110m high hurdle in high school, and was a key part of several 400m relay wins in College.

He has run 4.3's injured, he has been reportedly timed in the 4.2's.

Geforce
06-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Figurs ran the fastest at the Combine but our very own Geoffrey Pope ran a 4.29 during his Pro Day workout.

PS: Ginn ran a 4.38 at his individual workout on a wet field a week or so before the draft.

circumstances
didn't deion sanders supposedly run a 4.21 ?

Mr772

Ginn's acceleration is second to none. Ginn pulls away from other players like an R1 pulls away from a stoplight.

DolphinsFan23
06-12-2007, 04:04 PM

Ted Ginn has been clocked at around 4.28. I read somewhere that he was timed running a 4.21 40. That is very fast. If he was electronically timed at the combine, I bet he'd run about a 4.26 - 4.30. Somewhere in there. That's still plenty fast. That's Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson and Randy Moss fast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Ginn,_Jr.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2007/ginn_ted

#1dolphinsfan
06-12-2007, 04:08 PM
I think Ted ginn and chad johnson are the fastest in the league and i think ted ginn was the fastest in his draft class

Geforce
06-12-2007, 04:11 PM
I think Ted ginn and chad johnson are the fastest in the league and i think ted ginn was the fastest in his draft class

Chad Johnson? The Bengals WR?

phinphan11
06-12-2007, 04:11 PM
The fastest player was .... Reagan Mauia... to the chow line!

BIHPhinFan4Life
06-12-2007, 05:42 PM
Ginn as a freshman at OSU ran a 4.26 forty. I also read somewhere that he ran a 4.19 but i cant give you the link as that was over half a year ago.

Vertical Limit
06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
Let's just move this topic to the Miami Dolphins forum. Obviously this thread was meant to be about Ted Ginn Jr.

HysterikiLL
06-12-2007, 08:28 PM
You really can't look at a 40 time and all of a sudden tell who is the fastest wearing pads, cutting back and forth and with a bunch of angry guys coming at him. Devin Hester has the fastest football speed in the NFL. Hands down.

BleedinGreenNC
06-12-2007, 09:58 PM
Ginn is fast, but dont blind yourself with the homer glasses, Ginn is not the fastest in the league. I would have to say Hester is pretty damn fast!

finswin56
06-12-2007, 10:57 PM
For you guys saying Hester is faster, I'm just curious as to why? The only common ground to compare them on is their college careers (I'm avoiding the 40 times for the sake of Hester's argument). Even there on the field, the only player I've ever seen in Ginn's class is Deion Sanders. I didn't see Darrel Green play in college, so I can't compare them.

Da GODfather
06-12-2007, 11:13 PM
mods please move this back to the dolphins forum. I asked this questions with comparison to Ginn

BuffaloSoldier2
06-13-2007, 01:00 AM
People are sleeping on Nate Kaeding. :wink:

HysterikiLL
06-13-2007, 01:55 AM
For you guys saying Hester is faster, I'm just curious as to why? The only common ground to compare them on is their college careers (I'm avoiding the 40 times for the sake of Hester's argument). Even there on the field, the only player I've ever seen in Ginn's class is Deion Sanders. I didn't see Darrel Green play in college, so I can't compare them.

Game-speed wise, I certainly think Hester is in the class of Deion Sanders. Ginn may be able to beat him in a 100m sprint purely because of his training and ability, but when you're in a game you have to factor in instincts, the fact they're wearing a lot of gear, the fact they have guys coming at them forcing them to change their direction and reassert their acceleration. When you factor in stuff like that, I think Hester is faster. He is exceptional when getting past a guy without losing speed, and I think he can cut much better. Ginn probably can get from 0 to top speed quicker though.

Of course, it is impossible to definitively get an answer, but I just think Hester is the faster in-game player.

Sure does make for a good debate though.

JT#1
06-13-2007, 02:45 AM
Game-speed wise, I certainly think Hester is in the class of Deion Sanders. Ginn may be able to beat him in a 100m sprint purely because of his training and ability, but when you're in a game you have to factor in instincts, the fact they're wearing a lot of gear, the fact they have guys coming at them forcing them to change their direction and reassert their acceleration. When you factor in stuff like that, I think Hester is faster. He is exceptional when getting past a guy without losing speed, and I think he can cut much better. Ginn probably can get from 0 to top speed quicker though.

Of course, it is impossible to definitively get an answer, but I just think Hester is the faster in-game player.

Sure does make for a good debate though.
i don't think hester is the fastest player in the league, he has excellent vision and great quickness which he combines with his speed, but straight line speed wise, i don't think hes the fastest

HurriPhin
06-13-2007, 03:55 AM

Read the last paragraph in the Collegiate career. http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Hester (http://http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Hester)
Maybe you dont think Hester is in Deion's class, but it seems "Prime Time" does. He even gave Hester a form of his nickname: "Anytime".

HurriPhin
06-13-2007, 04:04 AM
i don't think hester is the fastest player in the league, he has excellent vision and great quickness which he combines with his speed, but straight line speed wise, i don't think hes the fastest

:confused:... If we're talking about the fastest player in the league and we're talking about football speed, than you cant count running in a straight line (aka 40 yrd dash). So it doesnt matter if Hester isnt the fastest "straight line" runner. And since we are talking about "football speed" than excellent vision, great quickness, combined with speed provides for a very, very fast "football player". So doesnt that prove that Hester is possibly the fastest player in the league. Not the fastest track runner, but the fastest " football player".

Alex44
06-13-2007, 04:07 AM
You really can't look at a 40 time and all of a sudden tell who is the fastest wearing pads, cutting back and forth and with a bunch of angry guys coming at him. Devin Hester has the fastest football speed in the NFL. Hands down.

I love Hester but he isn't the fastest in the league. Maybe side to side he is, but as far as straight forward speed he isn't the fastest. His greatest asset is being able to stop on a dime and change direction....not just outrun everyone.

HurriPhin
06-13-2007, 04:56 AM
I love Hester but he isn't the fastest in the league. Maybe side to side he is, but as far as straight forward speed he isn't the fastest. His greatest asset is being able to stop on a dime and change direction....not just outrun everyone.

Watch this, http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dy5ekYdLFDs, and please explain how Hester isnt the fastest player in the league, (not track star, but football player). NCAA or NFL he makes everyone look the same: SLOW. We can all agree that if Jon Doe runs a 3.8 40 yrd but doesnt have field vision and can't cut, juke, or accelerate than it doesnt amount to squat in football. So that nullifies every arguement in this thread that says Hester isnt the fastest player in the league b/c he isnt the fastest in a straightline. "Football speed" is a combination of speed, quickness, acceleration, elusiveness and awareness. So I'd definately have to say that Hester is the fastest "football player".

And if you dont agree please say who think is a faster football player and id like to see some highlight vidoes that rival Devin's... anyone? Didnt think so.

"Anytime"

finswin56
06-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Read the last paragraph in the Collegiate career. http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Hester (http://http//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devin_Hester)
Maybe you dont think Hester is in Deion's class, but it seems "Prime Time" does. He even gave Hester a form of his nickname: "Anytime".

I'm well aware of Hester becoming Deion personal project a few years ago. I am also not selling him short. I think he's a fantastic talent with the ball in his hands, and damn fast.

I think the issue here is defining "speed". By most uses of speed, cutting ability is not included. That would fall under "quickness". Including cutting, I'd still put Reggie Bush ahead of Hester.
When I think of "speed" I think of someone who looks like they're running with boosters on and can just blow straight by everyone.

Hester can certainly out run most players, but I think he relies on his pheominal ability to read kick coverages and his blockers, along with unmatched "quickness".

arsenal
06-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Watch this, http://youtube.com/watch?v=Dy5ekYdLFDs, and please explain how Hester isnt the fastest player in the league, (not track star, but football player). NCAA or NFL he makes everyone look the same: SLOW. We can all agree that if Jon Doe runs a 3.8 40 yrd but doesnt have field vision and can't cut, juke, or accelerate than it doesnt amount to squat in football. So that nullifies every arguement in this thread that says Hester isnt the fastest player in the league b/c he isnt the fastest in a straightline. "Football speed" is a combination of speed, quickness, acceleration, elusiveness and awareness. So I'd definately have to say that Hester is the fastest "football player".

And if you dont agree please say who think is a faster football player and id like to see some highlight vidoes that rival Devin's... anyone? Didnt think so.

"Anytime"

how can elusiveness have to do with the simple question "who is the fastest"

obviously elusiveness and awareness are very important to a football player and id want my guys to have that... but that has nothing to do when you say who is the fastest... its not a difficult question, no one is saying, who has better football speed, etc... its is he the fastest, and from that video you posted its clear hes not, players gain on him, some catch up, etc...

hester has great vision on returns, quickness, change of direction, etc... but he is not the fastest, its pretty simple...

Da GODfather
06-13-2007, 12:51 PM
how can elusiveness have to do with the simple question "who is the fastest"

obviously elusiveness and awareness are very important to a football player and id want my guys to have that... but that has nothing to do when you say who is the fastest... its not a difficult question, no one is saying, who has better football speed, etc... its is he the fastest, and from that video you posted its clear hes not, players gain on him, some catch up, etc...

hester has great vision on returns, quickness, change of direction, etc... but he is not the fastest, its pretty simple...

Exactly. I started this threat because i was curious who was the fastest player. not game fast. not quickness. Just wondering if they were to give an award to NFL's fastest man a la Darell Green, who would win it

HurriPhin
06-13-2007, 01:44 PM
obviously elusiveness and awareness are very important to a football player and id want my guys to have that... but that has nothing to do when you say who is the fastest[/quote]

Definition of fast: http://www.answers.com/fast&r=67 (http://www.answers.com/fast&r=67).
The very first definition is, 1. acting or moving quickly, swift. So combined with speed, if I have great field vision and can cut in and out of traffic, how does that not contribute to making me faster than every one else on the field?

[quote=arsenal;1062137409]and from that video you posted its clear hes not, players gain on him, some catch up, etc...

One highlight he gets pushed out of bounds, every other highlight he scores a touchdown. No one catches him. How much faster can you get?

HurriPhin
06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
I started this threat because i was curious who was the fastest player. not game fast. not quickness. Just wondering if they were to give an award to NFL's fastest man a la Darell Green, who would win it

I thought we were talking about "game" fast or "football speed". If you want the NFL's fastest man (aka track speed), here ya go... D'Angelo Hall
http://www.atlantafalcons.com/team/article.jsp?id=10834
He's won it twice in a row. We'll just have to wait and see if Ginn competes sometime in the near future.

arsenal
06-13-2007, 08:22 PM
obviously elusiveness and awareness are very important to a football player and id want my guys to have that... but that has nothing to do when you say who is the fastest

Definition of fast: http://www.answers.com/fast&r=67 (http://www.answers.com/fast&r=67).
The very first definition is, 1. acting or moving quickly, swift. So combined with speed, if I have great field vision and can cut in and out of traffic, how does that not contribute to making me faster than every one else on the field?

One highlight he gets pushed out of bounds, every other highlight he scores a touchdown. No one catches him. How much faster can you get?

because the very first highlight in that video you have number 47 of the Colts catch Hester as he crosses the finish line... obviuosly if Hester is the fastest, this guy is some kind of God...

and when most people say who is the fastest they are talking straight line speed... when i was a kid and we wanted to know who was the fastest, we raced to the end of the street... we didn't have agility drills and sidestep cones and would be tacklers... in the olympics when they talk about the fastest man in the world, its on a straight line track for 100 meters, not the hurdle winner, or anything else, just straight line speed... and usually they phrase that man the fastest man on the planet...

elusiveness, quickness, shiftyness, those are great attributes and very important when asking, whos the best return man... but when most people ask, and like the creater of this thread just said, whos the fastest they want to know whos the fastest, as in who would win in a race, straight line speed...

that does not equal Hester

arsenal
06-13-2007, 08:23 PM
dammit i just wrote that long as reply without reading the rest of the thread... haha oh well

HysterikiLL
06-13-2007, 08:31 PM
[quote=HurriPhin;1062137775]

because the very first highlight in that video you have number 47 of the Colts catch Hester as he crosses the finish line... obviuosly if Hester is the fastest, this guy is some kind of God...

lol, are you serious? you can't tell that hester slows down to virtually a jog over the last 20 yards?

HurriPhin
06-13-2007, 10:16 PM
lol, are you serious? you can't tell that hester slows down to virtually a jog over the last 20 yards?

:yeahthat:
It's a TD! There's no reason to run any further. :logic:

Alex44
06-13-2007, 11:16 PM
Logic or whatever Hester is not the fastest man in the league straight line speed.

I wonder if anyone actually has watched him play....

Yes he has great straight line speed, but that IS NOT what makes him special.

HysterikiLL
06-14-2007, 12:28 AM
Logic or whatever Hester is not the fastest man in the league straight line speed.

I wonder if anyone actually has watched him play....

Yes he has great straight line speed, but that IS NOT what makes him special.

Yeah, and perhaps we deviated a little from the topic, but when this debate comes up the real question should be "what is football speed"? Are we talking about a straight-line runner? If so, then are we talking about on a track or grass? 40 yards, 80, or 100? Are we talking about in pads or in track gear?

If the thread was about who is the fastest pure 40 yard sprinter, maybe we could hand it to Ted Ginn right now.

But I think the really relevant speed is the football speed that has been discussed these last few pages. To me, football speed is the speed of a player traveling from point A to point B, on a field of 22 men, in football pads. Now, this "point A to point B" can be completely different -- it can be 12 yards straight, seven yards laterally, two steps back, and then another five steps forward, followed by a few steps of a kicker, and 55 more yards up field; OR it could simply be getting up the field whilst making a few guys miss, breaking out of a tackle, and beating a few guys to get it in the corner. But regardless of what type of play it is, the idea with football speed would be that if you put two players in the EXACT SAME scenario, the player who get to point B the fastest would be "the fastest player" with regard to the aforementioned "football speed". And in my opinion, that would be Devin Hester.

Now really, we can discuss straight-line speed, or whatever, but very rarely does a run run a flat straight sprint on a football field. Even if he makes one guy miss and then commences to run 95 yards dead straight, it's not a straight-line play. But saying a guy is the fastest because he has straight line speed is like saying "The Bears always win in the snow, therefore they will be undefeated in all conditions".

finswin56
06-14-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah, and perhaps we deviated a little from the topic, but when this debate comes up the real question should be "what is football speed"? Are we talking about a straight-line runner? If so, then are we talking about on a track or grass? 40 yards, 80, or 100? Are we talking about in pads or in track gear?

If the thread was about who is the fastest pure 40 yard sprinter, maybe we could hand it to Ted Ginn right now.

But I think the really relevant speed is the football speed that has been discussed these last few pages. To me, football speed is the speed of a player traveling from point A to point B, on a field of 22 men, in football pads. Now, this "point A to point B" can be completely different -- it can be 12 yards straight, seven yards laterally, two steps back, and then another five steps forward, followed by a few steps of a kicker, and 55 more yards up field; OR it could simply be getting up the field whilst making a few guys miss, breaking out of a tackle, and beating a few guys to get it in the corner. But regardless of what type of play it is, the idea with football speed would be that if you put two players in the EXACT SAME scenario, the player who get to point B the fastest would be "the fastest player" with regard to the aforementioned "football speed". And in my opinion, that would be Devin Hester.

At this point, I think we'd be just talking about the most dangerous player, and speed would only be a part of the equation, but that's JMO. And, then I would still take Reggie Bush over Hester :wink:

HurriPhin
06-14-2007, 03:06 PM
At this point, I think we'd be just talking about the most dangerous player, and speed would only be a part of the equation, but that's JMO. And, then I would still take Reggie Bush over Hester :wink:

I would have to say R. Bush gets the nod as well b/c he touches the ball more, but I cant wait to see what Chicago does with Hester on offense this year. Id say Hester is the most electrifying player while Bush is the most dangerous (out of the new breed of players of course).

shastz
06-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Ginn Is the fastest!!! I say He makes great Immediate Impact with the Fish

Do you guys even watch football???? Bethal Johnson had the fastest 40 time in the draft a few years ago and he sucks. Speed means nothing, did Jerry Rice ever run a fast 40??? No and he was the greatest of all time.:rolleyes2

Stitches
06-14-2007, 04:21 PM
Do you guys even watch football???? Bethal Johnson had the fastest 40 time in the draft a few years ago and he sucks. Speed means nothing, did Jerry Rice ever run a fast 40??? No and he was the greatest of all time.:rolleyes2

Ginn also did significantly more in 3 years of playing time at OSU than Bethel did in 4 years at Texas A&M. But no, keep trumpeting the same example over and over again. I'm sure you'll get someone to agree with you that Ginn us the worst WR in the world even though you've yet to see him play a down in the NFL.

Majpain
06-14-2007, 06:44 PM
This just in Ginn hasn't takin a snap in the NFL yet.

Sorry but you can't compare him to past 40 times. Compare when he takes a snap and how his speed translate at the NFL level.

Btw Bleedin Green, loving the pic of Beckinsale :hump:

HurriPhin
06-14-2007, 07:19 PM
This just in Ginn hasn't takin a snap in the NFL yet.

Sorry but you can't compare him to past 40 times.Compare when he takes a snap and how his speed translates at the NFL level.

Btw Bleedin Green, loving the pic of Beckinsale :hump:

... like D. Hester :whistle: