PDA

View Full Version : Power rankings: Colts still the kings

BAMAPHIN 22
06-15-2007, 10:32 AM
With the NFL's opening weekend still a good three months away, it may seem a bit premature to put out our first NFL Power Rankings of the 2007 season in June. Training camp, the preseason, and about 300 previews praising the 49ers as "This year's Saints" haven't even begun yet.

Then again, after an off-season packed with player movement, coaching changes, and more disciplinary issues than a fifth grade class — we might as well sort things out the best we possibly can. If the NFL season were to start today, here would be our NFL Power Rankings. Agree or disagree, let us know how you feel.

1. Indianapolis Colts — Hey, you've got to beat the best to be the best. And until New England or San Diego proves they're better than the Super Bowl champs on the field, I'm not going to crown them. Sure, Indianapolis lost a slew of key defensive players from their championship team last season (Nick Harper, Cato June, Jason David specifically). And yes, 2006 postseason rushing leader Dominic Rhodes is now playing in Oakland. But, the core of that Super Bowl wining squad — Peyton Manning, Marvin Harrison, Reggie Wayne, the majority of the offensive line, Dwight Freeney, Joseph Addai, and the special teams unit — is back. Toss in sure-handed first-round pick Anthony Gonzalez and recently re-signed wideout Aaron Moorehead — and the Colts offense should be buzzing and clicking like it has been for years come opening day. On defense, Indy will look to fill holes left by veterans with a slew of young and relatively inexperienced players. That list will likely include 2006 third-round picks Daymeion Hughes of Cal and Quinn Pitcock of Ohio State. Sure, there are questions surrounding the Super Bowl champs. Is the defense TOO young? Can Addai carry the load himself? Are New England and San Diego as good as advertised? All will be answered over the course of the season. Just don't be shocked when Peyton Manning's playing for another Super Bowl ring come February. And hosting SNL by March.

27. Miami Dolphins — And so it goes, the Cleo Lemon era is over before it even began. Oh well. In comes Trent Green (finally) as the quarterback for one of the more curious teams in the entire league. Green reunites with one of his former mentors in Cam Cameron, and already knows the entire Dolphins playbook. But what to make of this team? If the Dolphins were to go 10-6 and sneak into the playoffs behind Green's arm, Ronnie Brown's legs, and that top notch defense — few would be surprised. Then again, if they came out, stumbled out of the gate, went 4-12, and secured a top-five pick in next year's draft — no one would be shocked either. They're truly an enigma. I'm envisioning a season somewhere in the middle. Joey Porter adds a bit of bite to the defense, and for all the criticism Miami got for taking him — Ted Ginn's going to be an explosive NFL player. When it's all said and done, though, Miami's not a playoff team in '07.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6897650

Kinzua
06-15-2007, 01:05 PM
The Browns are better than #32 ... Tennessee, Oakland, and Detroit are most likely worse off, and if Vick is suspended, so is Atlanta.

I thought that the Jets at #9 was a bit high and the Fins at #27 a tad low. I guess adding Thomas Jones counts for more than adding Trent Green.

BwanaZulia
06-15-2007, 02:26 PM
The Browns are better than #32 ... Tennessee, Oakland, and Detroit are most likely worse off, and if Vick is suspended, so is Atlanta.

I thought that the Jets at #9 was a bit high and the Fins at #27 a tad low. I guess adding Thomas Jones counts for more than adding Trent Green.

Damn right it does.

A 1,200 yard back in his prime vs a injured 37 year old QB? The Dolphins need to think about their o-line before that put Green back there.

BZ