PDA

View Full Version : Merged: Brady Quinn is struggling.

Urlithani
06-19-2007, 08:03 PM
http://espn-mp3-od.andomedia.com/espnpod2/espnradio/radio_daily/espnradio070619.mp3

The first part of the audio clip is about Joe Girardi and Baltimore. When it loads you will have to click on the halfway point of the clip. (I was playing it in Quicktime so it didn't show me how long it was to give you a time. Sorry!)

John Clayton basically said Quinn is struggling bigtime, especially with mechanical and accuracy issues.

Colin Cowherd compared him to Joey Harrington, who also has mechanical issues. (We know Colin isn't a football expert, so definitely don't take that as gospel).

I don't like watching people do poorly at things, but if this continues it will at least stop anyone from bashing the Phins for passing on Quinn. (I don't think anyone is really doing that right now, but it'll stop 'em before it starts!)

THeavyweight
06-19-2007, 08:50 PM
feel bad for the kid i think he has the talent but there are gonna be too many distractions for the guy to concentrate on football alone i hope hes not like a joey harrington i feel like Quinn has real talent that can be utilized in the NFL

Skeet84
06-19-2007, 11:07 PM
Well I don't like to see ppl fail but I am rooting for him to fail. Cause if this guy is great than we will be hearing about it forever!!!

Perfect23
06-19-2007, 11:08 PM
and who did everyone on here want

Stitches
06-20-2007, 12:52 AM
Well I don't like to see ppl fail but I am rooting for him to fail. Cause if this guy is great than we will be hearing about it forever!!!

Well if browns history is any indication....:wink:

PhinFan0202
06-20-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't even know what to think other than that it's just mini-camp and that as of right now it's no big deal. I was reading one of the pre-draft magazine and alot of the writers did compare him to Joey Harrington which i thought was odd. I hope he dosen't fail miserabley but i do hope Beck is just as good if not better than Quinn.

Martel
06-20-2007, 04:59 AM
I just said asked this in another thread but who saw him throw out those pitches? I can throw a baseball harder than him, for real

finswin56
06-20-2007, 09:37 AM
I just said asked this in another thread but who saw him throw out those pitches? I can throw a baseball harder than him, for real

Yeah, those throws were embarrassing. I can't believe they came from someone who throws a ball for a living.

Smoke
06-20-2007, 09:51 AM
It's still way too early to send the jury out. He should be struggling, he's a rookie coming off of his first set of mini-camps. I still believe he will be a very good qb for many years but, in due time.

IN-FIN-ITY
06-20-2007, 10:39 AM
he'll make a ****load of money just in signing bonuses..

more than anyone on this board makes..

i cannot wish him too much success, it would make

the fins look bad...

hope beck surpasses him in all categories..

playmaker1
06-20-2007, 12:16 PM
It's still way too early to send the jury out. He should be struggling, he's a rookie coming off of his first set of mini-camps. I still believe he will be a very good qb for many years but, in due time.

Yeah. This is true. But I agree with Skeet, we will never hear the end of it if he becomes great.

NCDolphinfan
06-20-2007, 02:07 PM
Brady Quinn is overrated. Part of his lack of accuracy was the sudden lifting he did to bulk up so he could compare to the strength of russell ( which will never happen) instead the bulking up to gain more arm strength in turn affected his accuracy. I'll try to find the article if I can.

NCDolphinfan
06-20-2007, 02:09 PM
Yeah. This is true. But I agree with Skeet, we will never hear the end of it if he becomes great.

We'll be safe; I'd be really suprised if he was anything more than average.

Smoke
06-20-2007, 02:38 PM

Even if Beck and/or Ginn are great?

Stitches
06-20-2007, 03:02 PM

I would think only Ginn's status should matter. We didn't select Beck over Quinn.

CDNPHIN
06-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Quinn struggling...............GOOD!

playmaker1
06-20-2007, 04:53 PM

Not both, But I think Ginn will need to be a difference maker right out of the gates. He will be closely compaired to a lot of people over his career. I hope he loves the presure, because it is on

NCDolphinfan
06-20-2007, 05:17 PM
I would think only Ginn's status should matter. We didn't select Beck over Ginn.
I take it you meant Ginn's status would only matter since we selected him over quinn and not beck over quinn. I agree with that though to a certain extent i cant compare a qb to a wr either way. Im happy with what our coaches do as long as it wins games. But I hear ya.

Irish Phin Fan
06-21-2007, 02:02 PM
You can take everything that you have seen or heard about Quinn the past month or so and throw it out the window. None of that matters. Of course the kid is going to struggle. He is making the leap from college to the pro's which is not an easy thing to do. The Browns are implementing a very complex offense system and it will take time for all the QB's on the roster to learn it. Quinn has talent and I think he will suceed in the NFL. But you can not honestly judge Quinn after only being in the NFL for 2 months now.

Stitches
06-21-2007, 04:30 PM
I take it you meant Ginn's status would only matter since we selected him over quinn and not beck over quinn. I agree with that though to a certain extent i cant compare a qb to a wr either way. Im happy with what our coaches do as long as it wins games. But I hear ya.

Yes, I meant we Beck over Quinn, not Beck over Ginn.
I'll fix my typo.

Vertical Limit
06-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Quinn struggling...............GOOD!
How is that good? :confused: Oh I see, you're one of those fans that need the "I told you so" crap under your belt. :rolleyes:

Smoke
06-21-2007, 05:24 PM
I would think only Ginn's status should matter. We didn't select Beck over Quinn.

IMO, if Beck becomes a quality player for us, than there will be no reason for people to bash about not selecting Quinn.

Kinzua
06-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Mechanics and accuracy can be fixed if the Cleveland coaches take the time to correct them and Quinn accepts the coaching. A lot of it has to do with footwork. JP Losman had the same kinds of issues his first two years, but last year the Bills' new coaches worked with him (and Craig Nall), and his completion percentage improved from 49% in 2005 to 62% in 2006.

Even if Quinn looked like Peyton Manning, it wouldn't mean anything when everybody's in t-shirts and shorts.

TotoreMexico
06-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Mechanics and accuracy can be fixed if the Cleveland coaches take the time to correct them and Quinn accepts the coaching. A lot of it has to do with footwork. JP Losman had the same kinds of issues his first two years, but last year the Bills' new coaches worked with him (and Craig Nall), and his completion percentage improved from 49% in 2005 to 62% in 2006.

Even if Quinn looked like Peyton Manning, it wouldn't mean anything when everybody's in t-shirts and shorts.

Issues with accuracy? I thought it was his decision making:confused:

PATSSUCK
06-21-2007, 10:09 PM
How is that good? :confused: Oh I see, you're one of those fans that need the "I told you so" crap under your belt. :rolleyes:
'

I see youre the one who is asking for a BIG TIME name quarterback without knowing what Beck could do. Wow you must know so much more than anyone else about QB. I know you love BIG NAME players, but get over it. if we get Brian "injury waiting to happen" Brohm, who is really not that impressive at all it would be a TERRIBLE MOVE

Martel
06-22-2007, 06:11 AM

Don't trip VL. I think he just meant so all of us Phin fans don't have to kick ourselves for the next 10 years if he goes on to be a pro bowl caliber player. I wouldn't root against him, but if he stinks, part of me will definitely be relieved.

Juggernaut
06-22-2007, 07:38 PM
John Clayton had a segment on most impressive and most dissapointing rookies in the NFL on NFL Live show just now:

Most Impressive:
Calvin Johnson - WR - Lions
Greg Olson, TE - Bears

Most Dissapoting:
Robert Meachem (weight, injury issues)
Brady Quinn (said he has been terribly inaccurate and everyone has seen it)

Bet Cam is smiling in Alaska right now, wherever he is.
Congrats, big guy.

Trackstar
06-22-2007, 07:42 PM
I think it's very premature to judge any player at this point.

His inaccuracy could be due to the fact he does not know where his receivers are supposed to be. Who knows. Either way, it's unfair and pointless to try and judge a rookie's progress at this point.

dolpns13
06-22-2007, 07:44 PM
John Clayton had a segment on most impressive and most dissapointing rookies in the NFL on NFL Live show just now:

Most Impressive:
Greg Olson, TE - Bears

Most Dissapoting:

Congrats, big guy.

I supported a Brady Quinn pick and was POed when we chose Ginn, but a few hours later I got over it and now I am glad too see the choice may have turned out for the best

MassMiamiFan
06-22-2007, 07:44 PM
It made me happy to see that he is already having accuracy problems. That was he #1 reason why I didn't want to draft him, and it is already showing in mini camp. I know it's only mini camp, but it's still something to be concerned about if you are a Browns fan.

Juggernaut
06-22-2007, 07:45 PM
yeah.. its not like you are hearing the same thing about JaMarcus Russell or John Beck

RunGinnRunTD
06-22-2007, 07:47 PM
It's sad I think 95% of us wanted Quinn at that moment of the draft, but now 90% of us are glad we didn't take him. I believe Cam is going to do great things in Miami.

Trackstar
06-22-2007, 07:49 PM
It's sad I think 95% of us wanted Quinn at that moment of the draft, but now 90% of us are glad we didn't take him. I believe Cam is going to do great things in Miami.

Did you lose a bet or do u just hate Daunte Culpepper? :lol:

RunGinnRunTD
06-22-2007, 07:52 PM
I don't want to use the word hate, but I can say I am thrilled he is gone, well soon to be gone.

Dolfan984
06-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Did you lose a bet or do u just hate Daunte Culpepper? :lol:

yeah man, a dolphins fan with a picture of one of our qbs getting sacked...don't matter who that QB is hurts 10x more than a rival having it up =/

Juggernaut
06-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Keep in mind though, Cam said himself that Quinn was not as accurate as Beck and that you can't teach accuracy, you can only make an already accurate passer MORE accurate.

CitizenSnips
06-22-2007, 07:59 PM
whether or not Quinn knows his offense is irrelevant. He can't get the ball deep to receivers who are running straight down the field. and if he puts all his muscle into it, he misses them by a mile.

footballer
06-22-2007, 08:00 PM
I think it's very premature to judge any player at this point.

His inaccuracy could be due to the fact he does not know where his receivers are supposed to be. Who knows. Either way, it's unfair and pointless to try and judge a rookie's progress at this point.

your right.

but doesnt it feel atleast a little good knowing that we dont appear to be SO STUPID after all...well at this point in time...i know that clayton report doesnt count for much, but hahahahahaha to all those busters that said we we absolutly stupid for taking ginn, instead of quinn....

Geforce
06-22-2007, 08:01 PM

Most Impressive:
Greg Olson, TE - Bears

Most Dissapoting:

Congrats, big guy.

I think you should have been more specific. It was Most Impressive/Disappointing in training camp.

Juggernaut
06-22-2007, 08:02 PM
I think you should have been more specific. It was Most Impressive/Disappointing in training camp.

dude.. there have only been minicamps so far.. why would I have to be specific about that.. its pretty much self explanatory

Dollarz
06-22-2007, 08:06 PM
your right.

but doesnt it feel atleast a little good knowing that we dont appear to be SO STUPID after all...well at this point in time...i know that clayton report doesnt count for much, but hahahahahaha to all those busters that said we we absolutly stupid for taking ginn, instead of quinn....

It's way too early to be talking like that.

What I find funny is that it seems like you are writing the guy off based on how he did in mini-camp. I mean I enjoy reading that he's struggling, but my God man. You got to give rookies time.

Porter
06-22-2007, 08:07 PM
I watched Quinn play under CW and really don't see anything other than an

average QB. He has had the HYPE but I think the HYPE over shadowed his

actual talent. He may be servicable in the NFL, nothing more.

Remember he was basically, well average with not much media coverage untill

CW became his coach.????...................!

IMO Miami made the proper decission in passing on Quinn.

PS: If I'm wrong, won't be the first or last time :).

Juggernaut
06-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Please check your private messages and refrain from trying to circumvent the profanity filters.

Dollarz
06-22-2007, 08:13 PM
do the forum mods have something against me? they seriously move, merge or close 90% the threads I start. WTF! How is this not a hot Dolphins discussion right now. No one looks at this General NFL forum.

This thread is about Quinn, right? Well, Quinn isn't a Dolphin, so therefore it belongs in the NFL forum since we're talking about another team's player.

Don't get pissed off because you put it in the forum that it doesn't belong in.

Schleprock
06-22-2007, 08:17 PM
dude.. there have only been minicamps so far.. why would I have to be specific about that.. its pretty much self explanatory
I agree, I knew what you were saying clearly.

And being curious about how Quinn was doing, I can vouche that this isn't some hyperbole from the big media outlet. I perused some online Browns boards to see how he was doing in camps, and I have to say, they were actually brutally honest that he looked terrible. Many even agreed with Cam/Mueller's/Philosophy decision in the draft (taking another player, then grabbing Beck or Quinn most likely if he still would have been there in the second).

Juggernaut
06-22-2007, 08:32 PM
I agree, I knew what you were saying clearly.

And being curious about how Quinn was doing, I can vouche that this isn't some hyperbole from the big media outlet. I perused some online Browns boards to see how he was doing in camps, and I have to say, they were actually brutally honest that he looked terrible. Many even agreed with Cam/Mueller's/Philosophy decision in the draft (taking another player, then grabbing Beck or Quinn most likely if he still would have been there in the second).

Yea.. Colin Coherd also said on his show he thinks Quinn will not correct these mechanical problems. He said if you've had these problems for 20 years ur not going to correct them now... and compared him to Joey Harrington.

dolpns13
06-22-2007, 08:44 PM

even more sad were all those losers booing him at the draft party...And now probably supporting him, thats whats sad, they should actually be embarrassed...Just goes to show you that the coaches know more than we do

ChambersWI
06-22-2007, 08:45 PM
yeah.. its not like you are hearing the same thing about JaMarcus Russell or John Beck

I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, but if it is, we really haven't heard much negative about either Russell or Beck. In fact, they both have IMPROVED by A LOT during mini camps. So have Kolb,Stanton, and I guess Edwards (mixed reviews on him).

For mini camp, I normally take how people look with a grain of salt. It seemed like after every mini camp for 3 straight years everybody thought we had something special in Kendal Newsome; mini camp is w/o pads.

However, the thing that would concern me about Quinn is how badf he's struggling with accuracy. Not the plays themselves, but how bad his throws are off. Beck and Russell are both learning to playbooks and neither have looked as bad as Quinn has supposedly looked. I talked to one of my buddies in Cleveland, and he said a lot of fans are disgusted with how Quinn has looked.

Again, only mini camp. But the fact that the Browns gave up a first orunder next year (which wil be a top 10 pick more than likely) Quinn will be under a microscope.

HysterikiLL
06-22-2007, 09:05 PM
I'll wait until guys start holding out before I judge who will be the most disappointing. I agree Olsen is looking sensation in camp, but this is non-contact voluntary workouts for pete's sake.

d-day
06-22-2007, 09:25 PM
do the forum mods have something against me? they seriously move, merge or close 90% the threads I start. WTF! How is this not a hot Dolphins discussion right now. You guys are fkn lame. No one looks at this General NFL forum.

So far 4 other posters have not only looked at, but also responded to this thread. As far as lame goes, nothing lamer than "woe is me" posts. Dollarz nailed it on the head, the guy is a Cleveland Brown: Cleveland Browns = General NFL

Juggernaut
06-22-2007, 09:26 PM
I can't tell if that's sarcasm or not, but if it is, we really haven't heard much negative about either Russell or Beck. In fact, they both have IMPROVED by A LOT during mini camps. So have Kolb,Stanton, and I guess Edwards (mixed reviews on him).

For mini camp, I normally take how people look with a grain of salt. It seemed like after every mini camp for 3 straight years everybody thought we had something special in Kendal Newsome; mini camp is w/o pads.

However, the thing that would concern me about Quinn is how badf he's struggling with accuracy. Not the plays themselves, but how bad his throws are off. Beck and Russell are both learning to playbooks and neither have looked as bad as Quinn has supposedly looked. I talked to one of my buddies in Cleveland, and he said a lot of fans are disgusted with how Quinn has looked.
Again, only mini camp. But the fact that the Browns gave up a first orunder next year (which wil be a top 10 pick more than likely) Quinn will be under a microscope.

No ... I'm the one who started this thread, I was not being sarcastic.. I was making the point that even though its only minicamps, we havent been hearing such negativity from JaRussell or Beck like you explained in more detail.

IAFINFAN
06-23-2007, 01:35 AM
Plus it sounds like his agent Brady and his agent are planning a hold out because he wants paid top 5 money since everyone knows this is where he belongs. Guess what you were picked #22 and should be paid like #22, that's what he's worth. I really hope Cleveland doesn't puss out and hike up his worth. Think how bad of a trend this would set for furture drafts. No way Cleveland can give in to him. Might be a long hold out.

After hearing about his poor camp and this hold out makes me that much more happy about Ginn and Beck.

IAFINFAN
06-23-2007, 01:44 AM

In a way Miami did. Right after the draft Cam made mention that all along they liked Beck better than Quinn and gambled that by taking Ginn first they stood an excellent chance of getting Beck in the 2nd round due to teams being scared off by his age. The gamble did payoff and he had the biggest damn grin I have ever seen. Then of course talked about how awesome the Ginn family was to be around and stuff like that.

I took that as another dig on Quinn because of the way he talked before the draft and the way he reacted after Miami passed on him. Really Miami's QB coach and Cam looked Brady over with a fine tooth comb and decided he isn't what they were looking for. Saw in Brady interview that Quinn was suprised how Miami gave him all kinds of situation that he had to describe how he would have reacted to certain situations and what he saw and what he would have done. Even made the comment about how he thought he did pretty well and liked Miami's coaching staff a lot and than 5 minutes later after the video clip of Brady Miami picked Ginn.

CDNPHIN
06-23-2007, 07:53 AM

Wow, you got all that for a 3-word post!!! Impressive.No I'm one of thoes fans that said without an O-line it doesn't matter who plays Q.B,and since we passed on Quinn and he was picked by another AFC team I hope he struggles everyday in the NFL...

Stitches
06-23-2007, 10:30 AM
In a way Miami did. Right after the draft Cam made mention that all along they liked Beck better than Quinn and gambled that by taking Ginn first they stood an excellent chance of getting Beck in the 2nd round due to teams being scared off by his age. The gamble did payoff and he had the biggest damn grin I have ever seen. Then of course talked about how awesome the Ginn family was to be around and stuff like that.

I took that as another dig on Quinn because of the way he talked before the draft and the way he reacted after Miami passed on him. Really Miami's QB coach and Cam looked Brady over with a fine tooth comb and decided he isn't what they were looking for. Saw in Brady interview that Quinn was suprised how Miami gave him all kinds of situation that he had to describe how he would have reacted to certain situations and what he saw and what he would have done. Even made the comment about how he thought he did pretty well and liked Miami's coaching staff a lot and than 5 minutes later after the video clip of Brady Miami picked Ginn.

1) Show me a quote anywhere by Cam that says he liked Beck more than Quinn.

2) They were looking at Beck or Edwards in the 2nd round. In fact, they kept attempting to trade back into the first in order to get Beck, but couldn't find a partner. They were lucky Beck fell to them.

mia4ever
06-23-2007, 01:53 PM
Charlie Weis prepared Brady Quinn for just about everything at Notre Dame.

Weis taught Quinn an NFL offense and gave him the ability to unleash it against college defenses. In some ways, Quinn was like a master's student in a classroom of freshmen. Quinn learned the West Coast offense from Tyrone Willingham. Weis took him to new levels with his imaginative schemes. He was a great student.

What Quinn wasn't prepared for was what happened since he left South Bend. Draft day was a disaster. He sat in the Green Room watching team after team pass on him. Although he was elated to be rescued by the Browns with the 22nd pick in the first round, he felt as battered as David Carr during a 70-sack season.

His first few minicamp performances have been filled with inaccurate passes, which shouldn't be a surprise. The Browns are installing a completely new offense, a copy of the Mike Martz-Norv Turner-Air Coryell system. Passes hit the ground more often in Browns minicamp than at most minicamps currently going on, but those incompletions aren't limited to Quinn. Receivers are also learning the steps, and Charlie Frye and others are adjusting to the terminology.

The problem for Quinn is that criticism of his accuracy was one of the reasons he slipped in the first round. Quinn is fighting an uphill battle in his role at Browns camp.

"I don't think I'm quite there yet," Quinn said. "It's hard to put down a percentage on it. There's a lot of time left. Hopefully, we'll have a better indication once training camp starts."

That's another problem for Quinn. To report to training camp, Quinn needs to sign a contract, and that won't be easy. Arguably, he lost $20 million to $30 million in guarantees by dropping from the top of the draft to the 22nd pick. He's in a slot that merits a five-year contract that would average less than $1.8 million a year. Quinn is on a team that paid a guard (Eric Steinbach) $7 million a year, and a tackle not expected to start (Kevin Shaffer) more than $6 million a year.

Tom Cammett/WireImage.com

Brady Quinn is focused on learning the Browns' offense and getting himself under contract.

How can the future quarterback of the Browns lock himself into a deal in which he would make that much less than the blockers in front of him?

".
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=2902696

37wildman
06-23-2007, 02:08 PM
i hate to say this but i am glad we didnot pick him???

SuperBankz
06-23-2007, 02:09 PM
and this has what to do with the fins

thefranchisedef
06-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Being a notre dame fan, i hope succeeds! Brady Quinn was our guy for 4 years, and he gave us all hope. He never came through at crunch time, but notre dame was way overrated going into those big games. Brady Quinn, i believe will be a good quarterback in this league. I honestly believe we did the right thing in not drafting him though

whatsburning
06-23-2007, 02:14 PM
and this has what to do with the fins

After the draft day surprise, news on Quinn will always be reported here.

adamprez2003
06-23-2007, 08:59 PM
The only QB I wanted us to draft was Brian Brohm. When he decided to stay in school, I wanted us to go with either Trent Edwards or Kevin Kolb. I think Quinn will end up a career backup after one or two years of trying to start. I was thrilled that we passed on Quinn, although I wouldve preferred Patrick Willis to Ted Ginn. Ginn gives us the speed to stretch the field and may be the best thing that ecver happened to Chambers since it should free him up in our offense

playmaker1
06-24-2007, 12:21 PM
So far 4 other posters have not only looked at, but also responded to this thread. As far as lame goes, nothing lamer than "woe is me" posts. Dollarz nailed it on the head, the guy is a Cleveland Brown: Cleveland Browns = General NFL

:hi5:

IAFINFAN
06-24-2007, 09:49 PM
1) Show me a quote anywhere by Cam that says he liked Beck more than Quinn.

2) They were looking at Beck or Edwards in the 2nd round. In fact, they kept attempting to trade back into the first in order to get Beck, but couldn't find a partner. They were lucky Beck fell to them.

I have no clue if I read it in an article or watched an interview with Cam concerning the QB's but read or heard that Cam and Randy had Beck rated abouve Brady and the fact that Miami passed on him was all the proof I needed to back up what said.

I know Randy/Cam rolled the dice on this one and won big, because had Beck been a little younger he was gone for sure. So glad I was wrong because when Brady went at 22, I had a bad feeling that Stanton was headed to Miami. For some reason it just seemed like the draft was headed that way. When Miami picked Beck I didn't care who else we drafted because Ginn and Beck were what this team needed. The rest of the picks were just icing on the cake.