PDA

View Full Version : Missing: Large lake in southern Chile

BAMAPHIN 22
06-21-2007, 09:48 AM
A lake in southern Chile has mysteriously disappeared, prompting speculation the ground has simply opened up and swallowed it whole.

The lake was situated in the Magallanes region in Patagonia and was fed by water, mostly from melting glaciers.

It had a surface area of between 4 and 5 hectares (10-12 acres) -- about the size of 10 soccer pitches.

"In March we patrolled the area and everything was normal ... we went again in May and to our surprise we found the lake had completely disappeared,"

said Juan Jose Romero, regional director of Chile's National Forestry Corporation CONAF.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070620/sc_nm/chile_lake_dc

Perfect23
06-21-2007, 10:15 AM
:err:Im guessing it got even hotter in hell

CrunchTime
06-21-2007, 10:48 AM
There are thousands of lakes in Chile.I am surprised anyone noticed especially one so small.

Chile lies on a techtonic plate so its very active geologically speaking.There are dozens of active volcanos as well as hundreds of inactive volcanos which are part of the Andes chain of mountains.Earth tremors are almost a daily occurance .

In North Florida there have been several instances of lakes disappearing too because of the limestone substrate giving way.

finswin56
06-21-2007, 11:12 AM
In North Florida there have been several instances of lakes disappearing too because of the limestone substrate giving way.
Are you talking about all the sink holes around Gainesville?

CrunchTime
06-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Are you talking about all the sink holes around Gainesville?

You bet bro.The town of Micanopy was on the edge of a pretty good size lake .Many people built expensive homes next to it and one day....pooof the lake disappeared. :wink:

Alex44
06-21-2007, 11:18 AM
I drank it.....sorry.

finswin56
06-21-2007, 11:36 AM
You bet bro.The town of Micanopy was on the edge of a pretty good size lake .Many people built expensive homes next to it and one day....pooof the lake disappeared. :wink:

Wow, I never knew that happened!

CrunchTime
06-21-2007, 12:45 PM
Wow, I never knew that happened!

Micanopy is ten miles south of Gainsville.I had to pass by it every day on the way to Lake Wauburg which was leased by the UF for its picnic area and where the water skiing club and boats were located.:)

There is still a town there .Hasnt changed much since the lake disappeared.

The highway passes right through the old lakebed and now its become a breeding ground for lovebugs.Ruined a lot of paintjobs with the remnants of lovebugs.:ninja:

cnc66
06-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I worked a couple years for SWFWMD.. that's South West Florida Water Management District... we spent about six months drilling around a lake in Frostproof that disapperaed.. 30 acres or so. It had a sinkhole in it and it opened up. It is a little known fact that Florida has more first magnatude springs than anywhere. It is because of the karstic underlayment.. think limestone. I have investigated lots of sinkholes.

finswin56
06-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Micanopy is ten miles south of Gainsville.I had to pass by it every day on the way to Lake Wauburg which was leased by the UF for its picnic area and where the water skiing club and boats were located.:)

There is still a town there .Hasnt changed much since the lake disappeared.

The highway passes right through the old lakebed and now its become a breeding ground for lovebugs.Ruined a lot of paintjobs with the remnants of lovebugs.:ninja:
Good stuff CT.
I only know Micanopy for that special truck stop they have :wink:

chrome4
06-24-2007, 01:29 AM
It was the silver surfer.