PDA

View Full Version : 360 Internet Connection Help!

Agent51
06-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Alrighty guys, my buddy just got a 360 (the Elite one) and we are tryin to connect it to the internet via a hub. It's a linksys 5 port network hub. We get NOTHING on the 360. We have it all hooked up correctly, the PC is getting internet access and everything, and the 360 gets internet access if we plug it directly to the modem but if it's in the hub it gets nothing. When we "test connection" in the XBox menu it says IP verifaction failed. Any ideas why/suggestions on what to do? When set up my system at my house (last year) along with my PS2 and a laptop and PC everything was perfectly fine, i never got these problems. Mine also came with a setup CD though, that I popped in and it walked me through setting each port up (it was a Linksys one too, only 4 ports though), this one did not, it says it does it all automatically but it isn't. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated, this is annoying the hell out of us and it's pretty annoying having to either have the PC or the 360 plugged into the internet, not being able to have both.

mor911
06-28-2007, 09:26 PM
Is it a hub (switch) or a router? If it's just a hub, what's before it? The modem?

I only ask because an internal IP address has to be given to any device sharing the same internet connection. This process is called DHCP. Hubs (also called switches) don't do this. Most modems also don't do this. What you need is a router.

off topic... AGENT!!! Where the hell have you been!?!?!

Scatman
06-28-2007, 10:46 PM
probably surfing and drinking.

Agent51
06-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Is it a hub (switch) or a router? If it's just a hub, what's before it? The modem?

I only ask because an internal IP address has to be given to any device sharing the same internet connection. This process is called DHCP. Hubs (also called switches) don't do this. Most modems also don't do this. What you need is a router.

off topic... AGENT!!! Where the hell have you been!?!?!

Yeah, it's a hub, lol. I noticed about halfway through the ordeal, like 20 minutes after I posted here. I looked over and saw the box and it said 5 port hub, and I'm like, ok, maybe THAT is the problem, cuz I've hooked up things to routers before and I know I'm doing it right this time and it's not working, so somethings up. A call to MS tech support confirmed that it was indeed because it was a hub and not a router. I figured it might be OK cuz it still said you could share cable/DSL connections with em, but there was no setup CD and I knew I needed one cuz I did when I did mine "back in the day".

and I have been busy training to do this:

k2vkwy2vdP4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2vkwy2vdP4)
(Winter time at a spot called Jaws on the North Shore of Maui)

So between the intense training the guys I'm learning from have me doing and working nights at the club I've hardly got any free time, and it's usually spent sleeping :lol:

Firesole
06-29-2007, 08:34 AM
I was wondering that too after reading your first sentence in your post. If it's a hub, you'll need to replace it with a $25 switch!

RedRoth
06-29-2007, 09:27 PM
That wave wouldve killed me

Agent51
06-29-2007, 09:47 PM
That wave wouldve killed me

It would kill me too, hence the military-esq training regime these guys have me on. There's no screwing around when it comes to stuff that big and powerful. You watch them break from the cliffs and it feels like a friggin earthquake, and they are far off shore. Up close they are absolutely breathtaking. I have never attempted to ride one before, but I have been out there on the boats/jetskis while guys were, and my heart was pounding just sitting in the channel watching them pass. What can I say though, I'm an adrenaline junkie, lol, and I've been surfing since I was 4, so this is the next step in that progression.

orca0
07-03-2007, 07:26 AM
Me too

Scatman
07-03-2007, 06:58 PM
It would kill me too, hence the military-esq training regime these guys have me on. There's no screwing around when it comes to stuff that big and powerful. You watch them break from the cliffs and it feels like a friggin earthquake, and they are far off shore. Up close they are absolutely breathtaking. I have never attempted to ride one before, but I have been out there on the boats/jetskis while guys were, and my heart was pounding just sitting in the channel watching them pass. What can I say though, I'm an adrenaline junkie, lol, and I've been surfing since I was 4, so this is the next step in that progression.

good luck man...that thing looks nasty

Amars
07-04-2007, 04:29 PM
I had a similair problem for my wireless router. What I did is disable the security MAC address for the router ( I think its called MAC) and it worked fine.

Damn that a huge Wave.