PDA

View Full Version : Is Atheism a Civil Rights Issue?

BAMAPHIN 22
06-29-2007, 06:18 PM
You do not break through such bigotry by polite discussion. You break through it by being loud and vigorous. That's one of the lessons you learn from the civil rights struggles of the past. Social progress is not made when the downtrodden ask politely for their just due.

http://scienceblogs.com/evolutionblog/2007/06/is_atheism_a_civil_rights_issu.php

DolfinDave
07-01-2007, 03:16 AM
I'm too tired and lazy to get through that whole thing right now. But I would think that the only way atheism is a civil rights issue is if they are being forced to not voice their opinions/beliefs. I can' think of many situations where they would be trying to have their beliefs heard, but are not allowed.

PhinPhan1227
07-02-2007, 11:45 AM
I've read the Constitution several times now and still haven't found a single passage which protects anyone from being annoyed, offended, or looked down upon.

There are however, several laws protecting anyone from being descriminated against because of their religion. So, if anyone is denied a job, promotion, housing, or anything else already covered by law, because they are atheists, they have the same protections and recourses provided to Muslims, Jews, Christians, Budhists, and all other persons in America. Atheism is a belief system, as such it is already protected. That protection does not extedn to people having the right to be free from SEEING other peoples religions expressed however.