PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Waves Could Power the Entire Planet

BAMAPHIN 22
06-30-2007, 05:00 PM
The ocean occupies 70% of the earth’s surface and the waves that occur in them have the highest energy density. That means in a relative small area substantial energy can be generated making it the most viable and virtually inexhaustible energy source.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/06/29/ocean-waves-could-power-the-entire-planet/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.technoverde.com%2Falternative-energy%2Fwave-generated-energy%2F&frame=true

Miamian
07-01-2007, 02:20 AM
That's interesting but then there's the issue of transmitting the power from the generators off shore to land. That involves laying a lot of cable all over the ocean floor.

ckb2001
07-01-2007, 02:16 PM
That's interesting but then there's the issue of transmitting the power from the generators off shore to land. That involves laying a lot of cable all over the ocean floor.

Cables are the least of one's concerns. This is actually great technology. However, the main problem lies in the variability of the amount of energy produced. Sometimes you get lots, sometimes near nothing, and you need really strong waves, meaning most places aren't suitable for this.

Miamian
07-01-2007, 02:26 PM
Cables are the least of one's concerns. This is actually great technology. However, the main problem lies in the variability of the amount of energy produced. Sometimes you get lots, sometimes near nothing, and you need really strong waves, meaning most places aren't suitable for this.Actually, there seems to be more and more alternative fuel sources coming out. The only thing holding us back is industrial politics.

ckb2001
07-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Actually, there seems to be more and more alternative fuel sources coming out. The only thing holding us back is industrial politics.

Yeah, that's true. Though this one is old technology.

George Beauchem
07-03-2007, 07:22 AM
Heres a quick thought. Say I came up with a renewable, clean, limitless power sourse tomarrow......How long do you think I would live?

Pagan
07-03-2007, 07:40 AM
Tomorrow afternoon. :wink:

Sponge
07-04-2007, 10:31 AM
Heres a quick thought. Say I came up with a renewable, clean, limitless power sourse tomarrow......How long do you think I would live?

By the way, don't answer that knock on the door.