PDA

View Full Version : Army of Two - Flipping Awesome

Scatman
07-02-2007, 03:25 PM
Heres the new video...this game looks awesome.
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/12668

and info for if you dont know what games about:
Who protects our top generals in Iraq? If you answered the military, you'd be wrong. We outsource this task. Why? Because it's deemed too dangerous for our troops. Instead, we contract private military soldiers - trained killers who are paid well to put their lives on the line. And it's this sort of behavior that's changing the face of war. With over 120,000 military contractors in Iraq, there are nearly as many people working privately as there are U.S. troops on the ground. But they operate under the radar -- they don't count toward our death tolls and the notion of pulling out the troops doesn't apply to them. War is their business, and they'll remain as long as they're paid. In EA's Army of Two (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3150182), you'll experience this new military first-hand. And all this week, you'll see why you'll want to. These guys use unapproved weaponry, wear armor, and totally operate above the law. No wonder our troops are envious. But when you think about it, on the battlefield, who would you rather be? -1up.com

Scatman
07-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Game Screens

http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3150170&sec=IMAGES

Motion
07-02-2007, 03:30 PM
I've been waiting for this game for a long time. Looks great.

NoLuck05
07-02-2007, 03:38 PM
i have high expectations for this game...and unfortunately games with super sick sweet trailers have been comming out and letting me down

i enjoy the background thing on iraq you posted aswell, i knew about stuff like that but never really acknowledged it

Scatman
07-03-2007, 04:19 PM
Day 2:
In his farewell address to the nation, President Eisenhower warned of the great danger of the military-industrial complex, the seamless relationship between the government and the private corporations it contracts: the confluence of business and politics. Many point to this speech as prophetic of what is occurring within America today. We've all heard the stories about the current administration's curious business ties, from Halliburton to the Carlyle Group, but there's a much larger constituency benefiting from America's recent political motivations -- one that, until recently, was virtually unknown.

September 11 changed everything. Since the War on Terror began, the floodgates have opened on the outsourcing of the American military. Companies like Blackwater have received multibillion dollar contracts from the United States government to provide services in Iraq -- services that range from the training of troops to logistical support to, yes, even fighting the enemy. Who protects top American officials in Iraq? Not the military -- Blackwater does. In fact, in Iraq today, there are over 120,000 military contractors -- nearly as many as U.S. troops on the ground -- and a good deal of them work as private soldiers. "There is a sort of second army of Americans out there now," the late ABC News anchor Peter Jennings said on CNN's Larry King Live in April 2004. "They're armed to the teeth. A lot of them look like they come out of a Sylvester Stallone movie." But these are the guys you don't usually hear about. If one of them dies in Iraq, it doesn't contribute to the U.S. military death toll. And they don't apply to the argument of whether American troops should be withdrawn from Iraq; they'll remain as long as they continue to be paid. They're in the business of war -- and right now, business is pretty darn good.

In Army of Two (http://www.1up.com/do/gameOverview?cId=3150170), you get to see how this industry works firsthand. Between missions, cut-scenes tell the story of how the protagonists, Rios and Salem, get pulled into the private military company world and what that ultimately means for them. "These are cut-scenes that tell a much deeper story about terrorism, about 9/11, about what the world is way beyond what these guys are doing in these missions," explains Reid Schneider, senior producer on the game. "These guys are the PMCs -- they're getting sent to do these missions. But there's sort of a grander, kind of puppet master that's behind it, that's pulling the strings and creating war. Because, ultimately for PMCs, war is profitable. And since war is profitable, these guys are in the business of war, and they're in the business of keeping war going because that's how corporations make money."

The game actually begins well before 9/11 and the duo's entry into the private military world. It starts in Somalia in 1993, where Salem and Rios are Army Rangers learning the ropes together. But it's there that they're introduced to characters that will come into play down the road. "We want to show a little of the before and after," says Schneider, "give people a taste of what it was like before. These guys start out as Rangers. And then what you'll see through the storyline is why they want to go into the world of private military corporations. Obviously, there's the money, there's the equipment, and there's the glory. If you think about Iraq right now, civilian contractors, or PMCs -- these are the guys who are better paid; these are the guys who are better equipped. That's a pretty compelling argument. If you're in Iraq and risking getting your head blown off, wouldn't you want to have better equipment or better armor? I sure would."

http://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/mediaid3340202-1.jpg (http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3150170&sec=IMAGES)
Army of Two's heroes Salem and Rios get attracted to the lucrative private military company world. To see more Army of Two screenshots, click the image above.
It is indeed a very compelling argument, and it's one that's attracted many top former military personnel, many of whom now make up to $1,000 per day for their work. "After the War on Terror kicked off, there were quite a few opportunities for people like myself," Richard Woodie Mister, an ex-Navy SEAL-turned-private military company consultant, tells us. "If you think of going from [the military to becoming] sort of a corporate guy, you're going to have to learn to start all over again, start from square one," says Mister. "When the opportunity was available to just jump right back into the same thing and make three times the money.... Well, basically, there are only a few places guys like me can go if we want to learn a new trade. And I don't really want to learn a new trade, because I'm pretty good at this."

Of course, the money is also what helps PMCs get a hold of the better weapons and equipment. "You still have your connections with the current military technology and what those guys are doing in the field," says Mister. "The advantage of PMCs is they're able to move very, very quickly, and they're very, very agile in their decision-making processes. There's not a whole lot of bureaucracy within PMCs if they're committed to the mission in the field.... They've got the billions of dollars to frontload and get the gear."

But one potentially troublesome aspect of the private military companies operating in Iraq and elsewhere is that they can essentially operate above the law. "It's a real interesting dynamic, because you've got these guys in the military service who are confined by a certain set of rules, and then you've got these private military contractors, and they're not exactly governed by the same sets of rules," says Schneider. "They can go and take operations that the U.S. Army wouldn't want to partake in." And the government gets to deny any accountability. "Some of the things that they're not able to do, there are PMCs out there that are willing to do 'em if the price is right," admits Mister. "Sometimes, the government even kind of looks at 'em and gives 'em the old foreign salute, and then turns a blind eye. The game characterizes that, which is kind of cool.... Right now, there are no rules that say that private military corporations can't do what they're doing."

But it's this point that has many members of congress, including Illinois Senator and Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama, particularly worried. "Contractors are operating with unclear lines of authority, out-of-control costs, and virtually no oversight by Congress," he told The Nation in March 2007. Obama is pushing for legislation to bring PMCs under the rule of law. Officials are also hoping to shed light on how much the American government is secretly spending on PMCs -- some estimate that 40 cents of every dollar spent on Iraq has gone to contractors. "We have over 200,000 troops in Iraq, and half of them aren't being counted, and the danger is that there's zero accountability," Democratic congressman Dennis Kucinich of Ohio mentions in Blackwater: The Rise of The World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army.

As a politically volatile topic and a culture that's overflowing with controversy and conspiracy (Blackwater, for example, is run by a right-wing Christian billionaire with plenty of political clout), private military companies are certainly an interesting backdrop for a game like Army of Two. But is EA trying to make any sort of political statement with it? "I think if people end up doing some research after they play the game, that's pretty cool," says Schneider. "I mean, this is not education we're doing here; this is very much entertainment. If someone plays the game and says, 'Whoa, is this stuff kind of real? Is the U.S. government really paying these private military corporations to do this black-operations work that they don't want to get their hands in?' I think that's cool. We're not making a political statement here -- but we are touching a nerve, and I think that's kind of what's fun about it."

Motion
07-03-2007, 04:26 PM
Sounds crazy

unluckyluciano
07-03-2007, 04:35 PM
only for the 360?

Scatman
07-03-2007, 05:23 PM
only for the 360?

naa ps3 too.

unluckyluciano
07-03-2007, 05:38 PM
naa ps3 too.
Lets see don't have, dont have, .................yup im screwed.

mor911
07-03-2007, 06:24 PM
Lets see don't have, dont have, .................yup im screwed.:sidelol: :lol: :sidelol: :lol:

Silverphin
07-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Lets see don't have, dont have, .................yup im screwed.

Don't worry bro. I feel your pain.

Sethdaddy8
03-03-2008, 10:04 PM
i must admit, im a sucker for good marketing, and the commercial is sweet. whats the verdict? anyone play this game? you likey? is it even out yet?

CitizenSnips
03-03-2008, 10:49 PM
This game was originally supposed to be released a few months ago, but EA sent out feelers to some of the larger gaming magazines and websites to see how the game would fair. Overall EA decided to work on the game some more because i guess the feedback they got wasn't all that positive.

EA wants this game to be big time, but from what i've heard, if you don't have a partner to play it with, its not all that much fun. Supposedly the AI partner is awful.

This game looks shiny and well made however, i just hope the gameplay lives up to its presentation.

Also, wtf is with the masks?

Bruzer
03-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I personally don't expect much from it. The concept is very good but I just don't think it will be pulled off right. I think it will be a giant let down...

CitizenSnips
03-03-2008, 11:16 PM
I personally don't expect much from it. The concept is very good but I just don't think it will be pulled off right. I think it will be a giant let down...

That's pretty much the vibe i've gotten from it as well.

Greatness920
03-03-2008, 11:36 PM
im only buyin gtaIV and mtg4 thats it until madden in august and then maybe nba live or cod5 or cod6!! maybe folklore when its 20 bucks

CitizenSnips
03-04-2008, 12:28 PM
im only buyin gtaIV and mtg4 thats it until madden in august and then maybe nba live or cod5 or cod6!! maybe folklore when its 20 bucks

Dont expect much from COD5, it's being made bythe same studio who did COD3, which was forgettable at best.

FinsNCanes
03-04-2008, 12:31 PM
I have a feeling this game is going to be extremely short and fairly easy with lots of vulgarity. Let's hope I'm wrong on the short and easy part. Who cares though? RBS2 is coming in 3 weeks.

UltraDol-Fan
03-04-2008, 12:48 PM

I think in game they are armor. I think I saw a trailer a while ago where one gets shot in the face and the bullet just bounced off. Also I'm sure they did it so the gamer can envision themselves as that character in the game.

DisturbedShifty
03-04-2008, 03:14 PM
X-Play have it a 4 out of 5 in their review of it yesterday.

CitizenSnips
03-04-2008, 11:00 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/856/856954p3.html

As expected, this game seems to be a bit run of the mill in single player mode, and a fantastic experience in co-op mode. Since this game was designed with Co-op in mind, it seems to deliver on most of its promise.

Lets just hope you have someone to play it with.

footballer
03-07-2008, 02:50 PM
interesting premise, but hate that it was made for co-op from the beginning to be a co-op game...

Sethdaddy8
03-11-2008, 10:37 PM
any member reviews?

Mike13
03-11-2008, 11:21 PM
I like the cover of One they used in the ads.

LtDan
03-13-2008, 06:08 AM
There may be 120,000 contractors in Iraq but VERY FEW are these hired killers they speak of

On another note....game looks really cool

mor911
03-13-2008, 08:45 AM
http://www.dolphinsnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214868

CharlestonPhan
03-13-2008, 09:09 AM

masks = body armor