PDA

View Full Version : New Rock Band Hands-On

VT Dolphan
07-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Just saw IGN posted a big hands-on preview of Rock Band with a lot of new details about the game including the new controller, drum kit, new songs ("Say It Ain't So" - Weezer :D ), pretty much everything. The game looks amazing.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/801/801498p1.html

Scatman
07-04-2007, 02:11 PM
yeah i think im glad i didnt get guitar hero to wait for this one..... but i dont know if i want like 4 different things around... thats a little crazy

TheMageGandalf
07-04-2007, 03:33 PM
("Say It Ain't So" - Weezer :D ),

What?

AWWW man....

I was really looking forward to 'Buddy Holly'.... I think its called that.:(

VT Dolphan
07-04-2007, 10:52 PM
What?

AWWW man....

I was really looking forward to 'Buddy Holly'.... I think its called that.:(

Buddy Holly is a great song, but Say It Ain't So is right up there with it :wink:.

Dol-Fan Dupree
07-05-2007, 11:42 AM
Buddy Holly is a great song, but Say It Ain't So is right up there with it :wink:.

Say It Ain't So is actually my favorite Weezer song

Phin-o-rama
07-05-2007, 12:32 PM
360 gameplay vid

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/79768.html

good to see them playing with the 360 xplorer guitar

Enforcerfin33
07-05-2007, 12:44 PM
360 gameplay vid

that makes me claustrophobic.

Agent51
07-06-2007, 10:56 AM
360 gameplay vid

Pure awesomeness.

Is "Welcome to the Jungle" a master track or cover? The solo sounded different in that video than it does in the real song. Either way, nice to get some more Slash guitar playing time, he is a guitar god.

I am a Guitar Hero addict (have been since the launch of GH1), and this game will go right along with it. For me though, the biggest feature isn't the addition of drums and vocals, it's the addition of, FINALLY, a create a character/band. This is something I believe should have been in GH from day one. The premise of the entire GH series is you are supposed to be a "guitar hero" in a cover band, so the game was just as much about you as a guitarist as it was about the songs, so why were we forced to play as one of a handful of stereotypical characters? Don't get me wrong, I love Johnny Napalm, and Axle Steel and Izzy Sparks are pretty cool too, but I'd MUCH rather have a custom character, and we FINALLY get it with Rock Band (and hopefully in GH3 too). In fact, all of the announced customization options are ones I have wanted in the GH series all along, like customizing your entire band, including looks and logos, and having those logos show up on shirts and stickers on instruments and banners in the venue and the kick drum head etc.

This game is going to be the greatest game in the history of games :rocker:

JPhinfan86
07-09-2007, 07:01 AM

It would be an ok song had commercial radio chosen to NOT run it into the ground. These guys have how many albums out? 5? Yet that song is the one I hear more than not when it comes to Weezer - way over the top.

Phin-o-rama
07-09-2007, 09:18 AM
like 11 years ago i saw weezer at this little club....i was wearing this funky plaid golf hat (funky, but fit in with the scene) and anyways, i threw it on stage during one of the songs......it landed right in the crook of perry cuomo's arm and his guitar...so he wore it for liek 3 songs and then threw it to the other side of the crowd.

yay

Pagan
07-09-2007, 10:28 AM
How about buying a used guitar and doing it for real? :wink:

Agent51
07-09-2007, 11:08 AM

I can't speak for everyone else in here Pagan, but I do, been playing since I was 10 or 11 :up:

Pagan
07-09-2007, 11:16 AM
I can't speak for everyone else in here Pagan, but I do, been playing since I was 10 or 11 :up:
Good...me need more players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game is great and alot of fun. I just wish those that DIDN'T really play would put as much time and effort into learning an actual instrument than into mastering what amounts to nothing more than an eye/hand coordination exercise.

We'd have better bands out there if they did. :wink:

Agent51
07-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Good...me need more players.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the game is great and alot of fun. I just wish those that DIDN'T really play would put as much time and effort into learning an actual instrument than into mastering what amounts to nothing more than an eye/hand coordination exercise.

We'd have better bands out there if they did. :wink:

I agree, but apparently with this game if you can play the drum parts on hard difficulty then you can basically play the real drums (allegedly) and that is pretty cool. I know how to play the drums, although I wouldn't consider myself a drummer, and I think this game being able to teach someone that skill, the different hands and feet doing seperate things, is amazing. I was SO frustrated when trying to learn the drums years ago, and something like this would have been excellent, because you get visual and audible feedback. I doubt this game could turn you into a Neal Pert or whatever, but the fact that it can give you the basic skills for playing a musical instrument is awesome. It doesn't work that way with Guitar Hero, as it isn't really the same motions or technique, so you won't be learning to play guitar/bass from this game or any of the Guitar Hero games, but from the videos I've seen (and articles I've read) it looks like it is entirely plausible for someone to learn the drums from playing this game. The drum "controller" looks (and plays) much like electronic drum kits do, so I don't see any reason why you COULDN'T pick up the skills/techniques of real drumming by playing.

VT Dolphan
07-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Yeah, I agree with you on that. I play bass myself so I don't feel as guilty.

I'm kinda anxious to try out the drums in this game though. As someone already said, the drumming in the game supposedly translates well to real life.