PDA

View Full Version : Pope Revives Old Latin Mass

adamprez2003
07-07-2007, 01:48 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070707/ts_nm/pope_latin_dc_2;_ylt=Ai4USjBdUeyjyXeAA88ZR3uGOrgF

The Catholic Church is once again allowing the old latin mass to be used. Some Jewish groups and liberal Catholic groups are upset

DolfinDave
07-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Upset about what? What the hell do they care if some Catholic Churches do a mass or two in Latin? That is the way it was done back in the day. I've never heard one done that way. And I would imagine its even more boring than the English way. But that might be it right there. The liberal Catholics may be worried this will drive people away.

And IMO, they need to change a lot about the mass in order to keep people. I find 90% of it to be a waste of time, especially if you don't have a good priest.

adamprez2003
07-07-2007, 02:51 PM
Upset about what? What the hell do they care if some Catholic Churches do a mass or two in Latin? That is the way it was done back in the day. I've never heard one done that way. And I would imagine its even more boring than the English way. But that might be it right there. The liberal Catholics may be worried this will drive people away.

And IMO, they need to change a lot about the mass in order to keep people. I find 90% of it to be a waste of time, especially if you don't have a good priest.

Yeah makes no sense to me. And you're right about the priest part. Most of the ones I've heard would put a cocaine addict to sleep

Miamian
07-07-2007, 03:31 PM
It's not an issue about language. The Latin Mass is just its name. Their are texts that contain references to "perfidious Jews" but that text was supposed to have been removed.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1183053079059&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

DolfinDave
07-07-2007, 04:54 PM
It's not an issue about language. The Latin Mass is just its name. Their are texts that contain references to "perfidious Jews" but that text was supposed to have been removed.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1183053079059&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

What do they think they want to move back to the Latin mass so they can sneak in an insult to the Jewish people? I find it unlikely that is a reason they are doing it. Just another reason why I find the whole organized religion thing meaningless. Just a bunch of bickering over meaningless BS.

Miamian
07-07-2007, 05:01 PM
What do they think they want to move back to the Latin mass so they can sneak in an insult to the Jewish people? I find it unlikely that is a reason they are doing it. Just another reason why I find the whole organized religion thing meaningless. Just a bunch of bickering over meaningless BS.Maybe so on the first part. I'm sure that all will be reconciled. On the other hand, what's meaningless to you is very important to others. It's interesting how some of the most vociferous dogma comes from the non-religious.

DolfinDave
07-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Maybe so on the first part. I'm sure that all will be reconciled. On the other hand, what's meaningless to you is very important to others. It's interesting how some of the most vociferous dogma comes from the non-religious.

I meant meaningless in the grand sceme of things. Who cares what some really old, probably wrongly translated texts says? Its the message that we should care about. Its what Jesus was teaching is what we should care about. Not what language a mass is done in. Or what Deuteronomy 2:13 says about gays or whatever. I think the mass should be someone walking up to a big *** chalkboard and writing the Golden Rule down in big letters so everyone can see. And then tell them to try the best they can to follow it. End of mass. End of story. Forget all the texts and doctrine BS.

Miamian
07-07-2007, 05:17 PM
I meant meaningless in the grand sceme of things. Who cares what some really old, probably wrongly translated texts says? Its the message that we should care about. Its what Jesus was teaching is what we should care about. Not what language a mass is done in. Or what Deuteronomy 2:13 says about gays or whatever. I think the mass should be someone walking up to a big *** chalkboard and writing the Golden Rule down in big letters so everyone can see. And then tell them to try the best they can to follow it. End of mass. End of story. Forget all the texts and doctrine BS.
Latin is quite likely the most thoroughly studied language in history. It's quite unlikely that some many got it wrong. As for the other parts, I can't comment on Christian text because I'm not Christian, but if you feel that way, why don't you start your own church?

DolfinDave
07-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Latin is quite likely the most thoroughly studied language in history. It's quite unlikely that some many got it wrong. As for the other parts, I can't comment on Christian text because I'm not Christian, but if you feel that way, why don't you start your own church?

That's the point. I don't like the idea of a church and my own little religion that I'm going to claim is better than everyone else's. I think all of that stuff is taking away from the main point.

Its funny because my mom was going through some stuff last night and she found some of my old report cards. I found the one in high school that had my Christian Scriptures class on it. I remember it because the teacher was a big Dolphins fan. We would rag on one of the kids in the class that was a Jets fan. And he was a good teacher. He made us pretty much memorize the four Gospels. We had to know which ones contained infancy narratives and really specific stuff about each. I aced that class. So I think I know a bit about Christian texts.

And after going to church my whole life, I just found it pointless. I didn't find the message pointless, just all the stuff surrounding it. To me its pretty simple. Treat others well and try to do the best you can to lead a decent life. I don't think you need an hour's worth of tradition every Sunday to get that through your head. Or maybe some people do. That's fine. Its just not for me.

Den54
07-07-2007, 06:15 PM
That's the point. I don't like the idea of a church and my own little religion that I'm going to claim is better than everyone else's. I think all of that stuff is taking away from the main point.

Its funny because my mom was going through some stuff last night and she found some of my old report cards. I found the one in high school that had my Christian Scriptures class on it. I remember it because the teacher was a big Dolphins fan. We would rag on one of the kids in the class that was a Jets fan. And he was a good teacher. He made us pretty much memorize the four Gospels. We had to know which ones contained infancy narratives and really specific stuff about each. I aced that class. So I think I know a bit about Christian texts.

And after going to church my whole life, I just found it pointless. I didn't find the message pointless, just all the stuff surrounding it. To me its pretty simple. Treat others well and try to do the best you can to lead a decent life. I don't think you need an hour's worth of tradition every Sunday to get that through your head. Or maybe some people do. That's fine. Its just not for me.

I like the cut of your jib.:D

DolfinDave
07-07-2007, 06:29 PM
I like the cut of your jib.:D

I don't think I've heard that expression before. I'll assume its a good thing though. :)

Miamian
07-08-2007, 01:38 AM

And after going to church my whole life, I just found it pointless. I didn't find the message pointless, just all the stuff surrounding it. To me its pretty simple. Treat others well and try to do the best you can to lead a decent life. I don't think you need an hour's worth of tradition every Sunday to get that through your head. Or maybe some people do. That's fine. Its just not for me.Then, that's fine too. Like I said, since I'm not Christian, I cannot comment on Christian text.

I can tell you from my own religious experience that knowing the overall rubric of "do unto others as they do unto you" is absolutely essential, but if you want to go deeper then you need further study. During Sabbath in Israel it's customary to discuss the weekly Torah (English sp) reading and what to gain from it. One of the more learned members at my synagogue regularly comments on the reading. About a month ago he kept emphasizing, haTora enena sefer historia, "the Torah is not a history book." Just to underscore the point, the very word Torah is derived from the linguistic root ירה. From that same root you get the verb l'horot "to instruct" and the word more, "teacher."

Please understand that I am NOT trying to preach to you. You have to make your own decisions based on what you think is right and even if anyone does preach to you it doesn't do much good if you don't feel it in your heart. I would simply like to clarify the point.

DolfinDave
07-08-2007, 03:52 AM
Then, that's fine too. Like I said, since I'm not Christian, I cannot comment on Christian text.

I can tell you from my own religious experience that knowing the overall rubric of "do unto others as they do unto you" is absolutely essential, but if you want to go deeper then you need further study. During Sabbath in Israel it's customary to discuss the weekly Torah (English sp) reading and what to gain from it. One of the more learned members at my synagogue regularly comments on the reading. About a month ago he kept emphasizing, haTora enena sefer historia, "the Torah is not a history book." Just to underscore the point, the very word Torah is derived from the linguistic root ירה. From that same root you get the verb l'horot "to instruct" and the word more, "teacher."

Please understand that I am NOT trying to preach to you. You have to make your own decisions based on what you think is right and even if anyone does preach to you it doesn't do much good if you don't feel it in your heart. I would simply like to clarify the point.

I gotcha. That's cool. I didn't feel preached to. You were just clarifying a point about the Latin mass that I wasn't aware of. I guess I should have just said that I don't care what they do because it doesn't really affect me.