PDA

View Full Version : Is Money Evil?

BAMAPHIN 22
07-07-2007, 07:23 PM
People are so confused about money. On the one hand they think that there's something wrong or evil about it. On the other hand, they desperately want it.

http://www.netscape.com/viewstory/2007/07/06/is-money-evil/?url=http%3A%2F%2Ffearlessdreams.com%2Fblog%2Fis-money-evil_77.html&frame=true

DolfinDave
07-08-2007, 04:09 AM
I don't think possessing a lot of money or wanting to possess a lot of money is bad. I think it becomes a bad thing when it becomes a bigger priority than other things in your life that should be more important. It becomes a problem when people think that the actual money itself will make you happy.

I've always dismissed the phrase 'money can't buy happiness'. I think that's kind of BS. I know having season tickets to the Fins would make me happy. How do I get that? I need to make enough money to buy it. I know driving a Corvette to those games would make me happy. That requires money as well. I know I don't want to have to worry about whether I'm going to make the next car payment or house note. Having a good deal of money would make me not worry about those things, and would therefore make me happy.

Miamian
07-08-2007, 04:12 AM
The problem with money occurs when gaining more of it becomes a goal in itself, rather than a means to an end.

DolfinDave
07-08-2007, 04:26 AM
The problem with money occurs when gaining more of it becomes a goal in itself, rather than a means to an end.

Right. That's a good way of phrasing it.

finfanfromcsu
07-08-2007, 04:55 AM
Money is just an object, it is neither good nor evil. It is like asking if a household fern or a pair of pants is evil. What you do with it can be bad though. It takes human intentions to make make any thing "good" or "evil"

Remember that the Bible says the love of money is the root of all evil, not money is the root of all evil.

cmax13
07-08-2007, 07:06 AM
money isn't evil, what man does with it, sometimes is...

Stitches
07-08-2007, 07:09 AM
Got this off the net:

We know that women like two things, your time and your money.
Therefore women = time x money
now time equals money, so women = money x money
Money is the root of all evil, so money = square root of evil
By squaring both sides of the equation, money squared = evil
Now go back to the equation women = money x money
See where I'm headed? women = money squared = evil
A problem with this "proof" occurred to me immediately: Since evil is negative, the square root of evil must be imaginary, which would mean that money is imaginary, and therefore, by definition, so is time.
Then I realized that, in my life at least, that's pretty much true.

Den54
07-08-2007, 07:52 AM
I don't think possessing a lot of money or wanting to possess a lot of money is bad. I think it becomes a bad thing when it becomes a bigger priority than other things in your life that should be more important. It becomes a problem when people think that the actual money itself will make you happy.

I've always dismissed the phrase 'money can't buy happiness'. I think that's kind of BS. I know having season tickets to the Fins would make me happy. How do I get that? I need to make enough money to buy it. I know driving a Corvette to those games would make me happy. That requires money as well. I know I don't want to have to worry about whether I'm going to make the next car payment or house note. Having a good deal of money would make me not worry about those things, and would therefore make me happy.

I'm of the thinking that money can buy you happiness since happiness comes from external stimuli.

On the other hand money can't buy you joy since joy is generated from the wellspring within.

Yes a corvette or season tickets would bring me happiness but not joy.
An example of joy would be the birth of my son which of coarse is priceless and something money can't buy. Even though his hand is in my pocket all the time.:D

Sponge
07-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Money certainly buys the illusion of happiness sometimes. Vacations, dream houses, cars etc all look pretty good to me but frankly the cost of attaining all that wealth doesn't look very attractive.

Percentage wise, I know more happy poor people than happy rich. As for myself, I spent one of the happiest afternoons of my life rolling pennies from my change jar to go to a movie (yes, you had to be there).

DolfinDave
07-08-2007, 02:53 PM
I think you have all made good points. I think we determine whether we are happy or not. No amount of money will determine that. Its almost a decision we make, or at least a way of thinking. And that was a good find Stitches, all too true.

cmax13
07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm of the thinking that money can buy you happiness since happiness comes from external stimuli.

On the other hand money can't buy you joy since joy is generated from the wellspring within.

An example of joy would be the birth of my son which of coarse is priceless and something money can't buy. Even though his hand is in my pocket all the time.:D

excellent examples, man. good post!

The Confessor
07-08-2007, 06:45 PM

And so the cycle continues....:lol:

ckb2001
07-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Money isn't evil. It's a great innovation: without it, we'd all have to barter!!

Scrap
07-08-2007, 09:41 PM

An example of joy would be the birth of my son which of coarse is priceless and something money can't buy. Even though his hand is in my pocket all the time.:DEver read the Dhali Llama's (sp?) views on money and material things ? I've got a book here at my house in which he goes on to explain that money and material things can only bring us short term happiness, and stress. I'd have to risk carpal tunnel to explain it with the depth he goes into. :wink: But I agree with his mindset on material things, and money. (Not that I've stopped chasing that dollar, but I agree none the less.)

nibus
07-10-2007, 02:04 AM
Actually everthing is depend on money only, that'sway man is running for money if money give profits than it is god but if it destroy our relations than it is evil.

Boik14
07-10-2007, 02:20 AM

An example of joy would be the birth of my son which of coarse is priceless and something money can't buy. Even though his hand is in my pocket all the time.:D I dont know about all that. The birth of a child is priceless, no question, but what if you never desired to have kids? What if "your baby" is your favorite sports team which you're passionate about to no end and by becoming well off you are able to buy that team and they win a title under your ownership because you made great decisions...would that not stimulate the feeling of joy? For me it truly would. If the Phins or Mets or Knicks or Islanders won a title and I was the owner who put the pieces in place that would bring me joy beyond belief because I love my teams and have since I was 5 or 6 years old. Having invested that kind of love and dedication in them and knowing how Ive had to watch them lose at times and win at times, yeah I think owning those teams and watching them win would bring a comprarable amount of joy because Ive been with those teams through good and bad much like youd raise a child through good and bad because you feel so cannected that theyre a part of your moral fiber. And yes, I really do feel like my dedication to my teams is part of what makes me, me.

That sense that puts you on top of the world can be brought about by different things for different people and it can range from material to sentimental. Some people are stimulated by both but some people are only stimulated by one of the two. From a personal standpoint I have know both monetary stimulation and sentimental and I am lucky to have known both. Many people can only know one because to them money is their world and only money stimulates them and to others money is just something you use to exist. The key is understanding the balance that allows you to be stimulated by either and for having experienced that I am lucky as well. :beer1:

Dolphin39
07-10-2007, 02:52 AM
excellent examples, man. good post!

Yes; excellent. :)

rafael
07-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Material things may only bring short-term happiness but money doesn't just equal material things. You could use money to buy a guitar and guitar lessons, for example. The feeling of accomplishment (learning to play) and the joy from playing could bring long-term happiness. Having money could allow you to take more vacations to visit family and friends living afar. There are many examples and they are all personal to each individual but the point is that money is a tool. You can use that tool in many ways. If your goal is happiness, some of those ways are more effective than others.

Quelonio
07-10-2007, 02:49 PM
No... only the devil is evil... and all those homosexuals.