PDA

View Full Version : Plant 100,000 trees to makeup for the environmental damage of Live Earth

adamprez2003
07-08-2007, 02:14 AM
Gotta love the mindset of celebrities

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/07/AR2007070701201_pf.html

"If you want to save the planet, I want you to start jumping up and down!" Thus Madonna revealed her plan to combat global warming.

"private jets for climate change."

John Buckley of Carbon Footprint, an organization that helps companies reduce their carbon dioxide emissions, said Saturday that Live Earth will produce about 74,500 tons of the gas.
"We would have to plant 100,000 trees to offset the effect of Live Earth,"

Certainly, on the way into the show, some of the 65,000 people who'd spent $110 on a ticket appeared unaware of the seven-point pledge that Al Gore (http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Al+Gore?tid=informline), the event's chief impresario, had asked all spectators to make. Asked about it, they offered blank looks and said they were there for Madonna (whose annual carbon footprint, according to Buckley, is 1,018 tons -- about 92 times the 11 tons an average person uses per year).
"I'm not even sure who Gore is," said Georgie

And singer-songwriters Damien Rice and David Gray promised everyone to make a difference -- before singing that anthem to predestination, "Que Sera Sera."

His'nBeatYour'n
07-08-2007, 02:18 AM
Yawn. More people who couldn't give two s***s about all the worse impacts on the environment are suddenly on a high horse about a global awareness event for it's environmental impact. A smear job is a smear job is a smear job.

adamprez2003
07-08-2007, 02:19 AM
Yawn. More people who couldn't give two s***s about all the worse impacts on the environment are suddenly on a high horse about a global awareness event for it's environmental impact. A smear job is a smear job is a smear job.

You mistake smearing for mocking I assure you

Sponge
07-08-2007, 11:06 AM
It's too bad people can't put aside petty partisanship on even one issue. So what if Live Earth caused some environmental damage? Obviously the idea is to create awareness of environmental issues. Who knows, maybe someone whose awareness was raised by the concert will figure out how to hold future concerts with less environmental impact?

In all behavior change, you sometimes have to take a step back to take two forward. It's similar to the perception that you have to invade a country and force a democratic system on them through violence so that they will eventually be happier, even though you have to kill a few hundred thousand to get there. If people can accept that one, you'd think they'd have a pretty easy time accepting LiveEarth.

The Confessor
07-08-2007, 11:14 AM
It's too bad people can't put aside petty partisanship on even one issue. So what if Live Earth caused some environmental damage? Obviously the idea is to create awareness of environmental issues. Who knows, maybe someone whose awareness was raised by the concert will figure out how to hold future concerts with less environmental impact?

In all behavior change, you sometimes have to take a step back to take two forward. It's similar to the perception that you have to invade a country and force a democratic system on them through violence so that they will eventually be happier, even though you have to kill a few hundred thousand to get there. If people can accept that one, you'd think they'd have a pretty easy time accepting LiveEarth.

I would have to say you missed the entire point. Watch the math..

Madonna polutes=92X average human....yet she has no problem coming out and telling everybody else to do without...private jets? What a domineering beatch she is....

The Confessor
07-08-2007, 11:28 AM
Yep, the little Material biggot....

Madonna, who seems to be on top of all her many business endeavors, has actually invested about $2.7 million dollars in companies that are creating the destruction that Live Earth is trying to raise awareness about. She has invested in several companies named as the biggest corporate polluters in the world.

It's a cruel irony that Madonna's Ray of Light Foundation owns blocks of shares in companies that folks like Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio would like to see punished and rehabilitated for their attitudes toward global warming, climate control and basic pollution.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,288295,00.html

adamprez2003
07-08-2007, 03:44 PM

Raising awareness is a sham excuse for having the concert. It's just about self absorbed people tying themselves to a so called cause and pretending they are doing anything other than holding a concert. There isnt a person on this planet who has a television who isn't "aware" of the global warming argument and there will be none that change their behavior after this concert

ABrownLamp
07-08-2007, 05:25 PM
Raising awareness is a sham excuse for having the concert. It's just about self absorbed people tying themselves to a so called cause and pretending they are doing anything other than holding a concert. There isnt a person on this planet who has a television who isn't "aware" of the global warming argument and there will be none that change their behavior after this concert

This is the Rush Limbaugh tactic. No one on the left REALLY cares about the issues they stand for. They're all doing it for money, votes, attention etc.

Why is it so hard for you guys to believe that people are doing good things because they believe in the cause?

The Confessor
07-08-2007, 05:28 PM
This is the Rush Limbaugh tactic. No one on the left REALLY cares about the issues they stand for. They're all doing it for money, votes, attention etc.

Why is it so hard for you guys to believe that people are doing good things because they believe in the cause?

Kindve like the dog that gets beat everytime he tries to come inside I guess brownie :D

Seems like I have seen similar song-and-dance before, just a different song and a different dancing partner.:evil:

It probably would help if Gore had actually hired some musicians that actually gave a Rats-tahootie about the environment, and some of them performing might...but cmon lets be real here:wink:

adamprez2003
07-08-2007, 07:00 PM

Sure they care about the environment. It's like saying you care about water or air or apple pie. Is there one person on this planet who has stated that he hates the environment? And how do they show they care, they throw a concert. Because that's what helps trees grow. It's a scientific fact I believe that having Madonna sing at 100 decibels helps heal the ozone layer. I can feel the climate cooling as we speak. But what's important is opverpaid celebrities can now feel good about themselves and say "we did something for the environment":lol:

adamprez2003
07-08-2007, 11:30 PM
At least some rock stars get it

Other rock stars are questioning the very purpose of the concert. Bob Geldof, who put together the "Live Aid" concerts of the '80s to combat starvation in Africa, asked (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/13052007/3/world-geldof-questions-gore-s-live-earth-concerts.html): "Why is [Gore] actually organizing them? To make us aware of the greenhouse effect? ... We are all [expletive] conscious of global warming."

Similarly, the Who's Roger Daltrey told (http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/43860348?ev=25023071) the London Sun: "I can't believe it. Let's burn even more fuel." Then, in a rare bit of humility for famous entertainers, Daltrey argued that it's possible that rock stars may not have all the answers. "We have problems with global warming, but the questions and the answers are so huge I don't know what a rock concert's ever going to do to help," he said.

And the latest is from the new band Arctic Monkeys, who expressed skepticism (http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070705025637.vyh5u7g) about the concert to the French wire service AFP. "It's a bit patronizing for us 21 year olds to try to start to change the world," drummer Matt Helders said. "Especially when we're using enough power for 10 houses just for (stage) lighting. It'd be a bit hypocritical."

http://www.americanthinker.com/2007/07/al_gores_live_earth_has_global.html

Sponge
07-09-2007, 08:45 PM

I already changed some of my behavior, so I guess you're not as tied in to the thinking of every person on the planet as you thought. As for self-absorption, the irony shrieks for recognition. It's not Live-Self, it's Live Earth.

adamprez2003
07-09-2007, 09:16 PM
I already changed some of my behavior, so I guess you're not as tied in to the thinking of every person on the planet as you thought. As for self-absorption, the irony shrieks for recognition. It's not Live-Self, it's Live Earth.

Who got you to change your way of life?

Was it ManBearPigs clarion call to armshttp://www.finheaven.com/images/imported/2007/07/2777a-1.jpg

or was it "the material girl's" inspirational musings

http://www.finheaven.com/clear.gif